Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

this game loving rules. it opens with the main character, kai, living in a prison camp. he hears from a girl in a neighboring hut that there's an escape tunnel hidden somewhere. so he walks back into his hut and notices a giant conspicuous barrel and says "i've never noticed this barrel before." (he has been living in this hut for 17 years.) so he pushes the barrel and finds a hidden tunnel under it. inside the tunnel is a single empty treasure chest and at the end he randomly emerges from a pot inside the slavemaster's control tower, conveniently hidden behind a wall as he overhears the slavemaster have a conversation with one of the bad guys about their plans to massacre the entire slave village because the slave village exists to force everyone to dig holes, and they found the dark crystal they were looking for, so there are no holes they need them to dig anymore.

then you start getting into combat and

https://files.catbox.moe/uwiype.mp4

the giant pauses between every action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/usrjkg.mp4

i'm loving dying. this game can't be real

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

this game loving rules. it opens with the main character, kai, living in a prison camp. he hears from a girl in a neighboring hut that there's an escape tunnel hidden somewhere. so he walks back into his hut and notices a giant conspicuous barrel and says "i've never noticed this barrel before." (he has been living in this hut for 17 years.) so he pushes the barrel and finds a hidden tunnel under it. inside the tunnel is a single empty treasure chest and at the end he randomly emerges from a pot inside the slavemaster's control tower, conveniently hidden behind a wall as he overhears the slavemaster have a conversation with one of the bad guys about their plans to massacre the entire slave village because the slave village exists to force everyone to dig holes, and they found the dark crystal they were looking for, so there are no holes they need them to dig anymore.

then you start getting into combat and

https://files.catbox.moe/uwiype.mp4

that rat calmly flying off to heaven is loving incredible

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/ibajzu.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

the giant pauses between every action

I can't handle it. Like everything else could be goofy like flying to heaven when beaten but pausing like that constantly means I'd never finish the game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone just dying the same way someone in Smash Bros. would

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ancient roman is a two disc game btw. this game needed two discs of space.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

ancient roman is a two disc game btw. this game needed two discs of space.

midi files ain't cheap when you're cramming 20 instruments into each of them

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I was wondering why that looked so familiar, and then I remembered that RPG Limit Break did a run of this game 4 years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

funfact: ancient roman does not take place in rome

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

funfact: ancient roman does not take place in rome

What about Troy?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it actually takes place in byzantium. a truly classic translation goof

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ancient Roman.... i love videogames. i'll be sure to watch that run later

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time and i didn't realize how badly i wanted a game that marries fun action with silly amounts of character progression in a stage-based loop. i keep rerunning stages and respeccing, grinding my use-ninja-tools skill by using the same, teleporting behind people when i parry and decapitating them with my transforming scythe, etc. sometimes i kill a dude so hard both his arms fall off and he tumbles down a cliff

i know people that make an entire hobby out of making new characters in Souls games, so i'm pretty happy i have finally found the Soulslike i'll completely stripmine for fun

haven't had this much fun with a game's systems since whatever the last Etrian i played was. i wish every game with skill trees was this interesting

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i feel like i am in purgatory when i watch those videos

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just found out there are, a lot of japanese fan remixes of ancient roman's ost. and they actually sound really good. also every single one uses meme images of the guy who does the funny face in the game's opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9rFU1eGSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpo8ng4VWHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQgoffNNc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi4JOESDWE0

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

catgirlgenius posted:

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time and i didn't realize how badly i wanted a game that marries fun action with silly amounts of character progression in a stage-based loop. i keep rerunning stages and respeccing, grinding my use-ninja-tools skill by using the same, teleporting behind people when i parry and decapitating them with my transforming scythe, etc. sometimes i kill a dude so hard both his arms fall off and he tumbles down a cliff

i know people that make an entire hobby out of making new characters in Souls games, so i'm pretty happy i have finally found the Soulslike i'll completely stripmine for fun

haven't had this much fun with a game's systems since whatever the last Etrian i played was. i wish every game with skill trees was this interesting

nioh 2 is an excellent time if you like fast paced character action with a truly ludicrous amount of customization

i think the latter turned a broader audience away, because it can get absurdly overwhelming when you first start up and find out that there's, like, 10 different sphere grids you can grind out, diablo-esque armor drops and customization, multiple combos and special moves like command grabs per weapon, three different yokai forms, a zoo's worth of guardian spirits, the elemental debuff system (including confusion), and a treasure trove of soul cores with their own unique moves and multiple rarity tiers. if you like that kind of stuff then it's amazing to tinker with, but the fact that wo long has a much more pared down set of customization options leads me to believe that the breadth of customization wasn't very popular

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

this one made me cry

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm still trying to figure out if everyone's leg pivoting back and forth like a drinky bird is them attempting to make a sonic tapping his foot impatiently animation or someone not adding a final transition keyframe to the idle animation and them just rolling with it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Colonel posted:

just found out there are, a lot of japanese fan remixes of ancient roman's ost. and they actually sound really good. also every single one uses meme images of the guy who does the funny face in the game's opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9rFU1eGSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpo8ng4VWHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQgoffNNc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi4JOESDWE0

I'm impressed by this game's cult fan following taking the music in this game and making it

good

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

colonel your emulator works correctly, right? there's no way that's what the game actually sounds like, right?????

right?????????

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

also can't get over how Princess Mom animates like one of those stop motion christmas movies

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EightFlyingCars posted:

also can't get over how Princess Mom animates like one of those stop motion christmas movies
She also looks like Bulma in a gown.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mato Anomalies is pretty good so far. Its a mid budget RPG but its got some mechanical ideas to go with its 100% perfect no notes we will fight in a parking lot if you don't like it setting aesthetic. Ok, maybe the unnecessary lampshade line of dialog about the outfit the lady robot wears could go.

All the reviews Ive seen compare this to Persona so I feel very confident that Arrowiz press kits include that comparison because outside of dungeon themeing theres no really much Persona in here so far.

It also has a very flat and uneven read to english voice acting but pretty solid chinese voice acting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, Ancient Roman is actually a fairly well-known and memed kusoge in Japan. I remember watching a streamer play through it like 5 years back or something, it is truly abysmal in every way to the point it flips around to being impressive.

E: Oh right it came up a couple of years back in this thread too.

Kanfy posted:

A couple of years back I partially watched someone play through this game (Ancient Roman ~Power of Dark Side~) and this music reflects that game's quality perfectly, it is truly atrocious. It also spawned pretty much the Japanese equivalent of the Mystery of the Druids guy meme.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 21, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

someone thought they were jamming on that casio keyboard when making this music track

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While I have been enjoying Galleria a lot, the fact that there are numerous instances of requiring rare RNG drops to progress so late in the game has been a real downer. This is like some bullshit MMO quest and it stinks! It has firmly made it the kind of game that I like a lot but I'll have a difficult time recommending it to others because of that caveat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vermain posted:

nioh 2 is an excellent time if you like fast paced character action with a truly ludicrous amount of customization

i think the latter turned a broader audience away, because it can get absurdly overwhelming when you first start up and find out that there's, like, 10 different sphere grids you can grind out, diablo-esque armor drops and customization, multiple combos and special moves like command grabs per weapon, three different yokai forms, a zoo's worth of guardian spirits, the elemental debuff system (including confusion), and a treasure trove of soul cores with their own unique moves and multiple rarity tiers. if you like that kind of stuff then it's amazing to tinker with, but the fact that wo long has a much more pared down set of customization options leads me to believe that the breadth of customization wasn't very popular
I think Wo Long went too far in the other direction, there's very little depth to anything. I do appreciate how you can just modify the traits on a peice of gear instead of needing to hope something gets dropped/crafted with the right stuff (even if I never got to the point that was very important in Nioh 2).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Nioh 2 gear system is funny because despite how complex it is, you really don't need to give a singular poo poo about it until you're digging through NG+ difficulty levels. Just slamming random gear on is more than sufficient for the first playthrough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Why have the gear system at all", you might ask

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nioh and Nioh 2's NG+ system is extremely robust(6 total difficulty levels, ranging from Way of the Samurai(NG) to Way of the Nioh), and there's an entire postgame dungeon and a lot of loot modifiers that only start showing up in the NG+ layers.

I think it's the best of both worlds because for a casual one and done playthrough you don't need to give a poo poo about any of that, but if you really like the game systems and want to engage with it/optimize and have something mechanical to sink your teeth into it's there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think Wo Long went too far in the other direction, there's very little depth to anything. I do appreciate how you can just modify the traits on a peice of gear instead of needing to hope something gets dropped/crafted with the right stuff (even if I never got to the point that was very important in Nioh 2).

i think part of the problem is that there's a ton of duds as far as martial arts go, and, with no way to efficiently swap them out, you can end up stuck through the whole game with an otherwise solid 3-4 star weapon that has total dogshit MAs that you will basically never use. i think the 4 spell limit would feel less like a millstone if your other two major gameplay buttons didn't have their usefulness determined entirely by random chance

it's a shame that all the basic item sets have such mid effects, because there's some cool NG+ only set bonuses that encourage different ways of playing that are locked behind you grinding them out through missions enough to get a full set, which is a ridiculous pain in the rear end even if you happen to love the core gameplay loop as much as i do. i think any game that is bound and determined to have item drops with random affixes like this needs to have a safety valve that can be cranked if someone's luck isn't lining up, like turning 4-5 star items into a currency that can be used to determine an item's set bonus or other properties, because you otherwise run the risk of burning even hardcore fans out

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 21, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The team that made Wo long should never touch a game for like 5 years, if it took a post-launch patch to put items bought into your inventory, instead of some stupid nonsense involving the storage.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kanos posted:

Nioh and Nioh 2's NG+ system is extremely robust(6 total difficulty levels, ranging from Way of the Samurai(NG) to Way of the Nioh), and there's an entire postgame dungeon and a lot of loot modifiers that only start showing up in the NG+ layers.

I think it's the best of both worlds because for a casual one and done playthrough you don't need to give a poo poo about any of that, but if you really like the game systems and want to engage with it/optimize and have something mechanical to sink your teeth into it's there.

I like when it's fun to engage with the RPG systems, and not constantly frustrating and confusing. Even if the game just didn't vomit loot at you at such an extreme rate it would help alot, but it turns something which should be fun and cool 'oh nice I got a really powerful new bit of gear' into a disposable annoyance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tae posted:

The team that made Wo long should never touch a game for like 5 years, if it took a post-launch patch to put items bought into your inventory, instead of some stupid nonsense involving the storage.

that, post-mission level select, and the gradual fixing of mouselook for the first two patches makes me think there must've been a real race to the finish to get it out the door, because those are such basic QoL features that i can only imagine you excluding them because every programmer and QA person on the team was otherwise occupied

they did have an unusual situation that i think almost no other modern game has had, where they released a demo, got massive feedback that it was way, way too punishing, and had to completely retool the frame window for their parry and then rebalance every single encounter around that lengthened window. if anything would've caused some of that vital last-minute polish to be missed, that seems to be the likely cause

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

No Dignity posted:

I like when it's fun to engage with the RPG systems, and not constantly frustrating and confusing. Even if the game just didn't vomit loot at you at such an extreme rate it would help alot, but it turns something which should be fun and cool 'oh nice I got a really powerful new bit of gear' into a disposable annoyance

The game lets you set loot filters so you literally won't see loot drop below a certain level of quality, if the constant flow of random stuff is a bother. Past a certain point of having stuff you can just say "don't show me anything below purple quality" and then every piece of loot you see drop might be something significant for you.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the itemization is definitely the weakest part of it, much like PoE (the only modern loot rpg i played), the game would probably lose nothing if all the lower rarity stuff were excised. this will probably change in NG+ i bet. for now the loot filters work well enough for me to just not think about it and have fun anyways

i'm pleased by how you can totally have synergies early on, so pretty excited to see how that develops. i was also pretty suprised by the level design. it may not have the top-notch Souls aesthetic extravaganza, but the exploration is no less satisfying.

the last area i explored was a big flaming manor infested with monsters. i extinguished a big flaming cauldron right before the second boss fight door, then it turned out the cauldron had a hole in the bottom that led to a big cave! i got a unique weapon from the Ippon-Datara there

i'll keep future impressions for the actual Nioh thread but yeah, if you want a deep game with skill points and set bonuses and all that fun stuff, Nioh 2 :v:

it's a miracle they made a game as deep as a modern Monster Hunter without the decades of iteration
edit: and i love how the Soul Core stuff is basically a deeper Mitama from Toukiden. i always hoped someone would steal that system

Ramie fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 22, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boo, the ancient language in Mato Anomalies is French no matter what you set your language to.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 22, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I am playing Soul Hackers 2 on Game Pass. Just to be clear, there is no demon fusion and you get new demons randomly from talking to your own demons mid-dungeon?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Artelier posted:

I am playing Soul Hackers 2 on Game Pass. Just to be clear, there is no demon fusion and you get new demons randomly from talking to your own demons mid-dungeon?

??? There is demon fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Started Caligula Effect: Overdose

wow it's been a while since I've played a jrpg with janky cutscenes and animations interspersed with actual anime

combat seems clunky but different. has an autobattle, it seems.

no auto-text advance is a big negative, though.