Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Honestly, my general read on requested jobs is that people are pretty good on DoW jobs since the only realistic, not-nitpicky requests there are things already teased like Beastmaster. Meanwhile there's a good handful of distinctly different caster/healer jobs that get requested pretty often. Maybe that's just because we haven't had a magic DPS job especially for a while, but I even saw it before Endwalker.

I do kinda read the Green Mages as people who want to request a magic job but are trying to look smart by avoiding the magic jobs everyone else is requesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I guess when I think about it broadly, we're "owed" a new magic DPS even if you count BLU, which GEO would fix most comfortably in. I'm willing to cop to my own biases on that one, though.

I'd really like to see another job fill in to the scouting role, but since it's still considered a melee DPS I don't think we'd get two melees in a row. And if you think of it that way, there's one less ranged DPS than everything else. So we'd get.... another ranged?

Or maybe even just one new job this expac? Those'd probably really affect the queues badly if it was only a DPS job, though...

I dunno! Just idle thoughts I guess. I've been playing Black Mage a lot lately, so I think if it stays mostly the same going into 7.0 I'd keep playing it in raid, but it'd be interesting to try out Geomancer if it's fun too, especially if it shared gearing priority with BLM like how RDM and SMN share the exact same gear.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think they should do a caster and a ranged that uses scouting gear. There's not REALLY any reason why that wouldn't work and it would make everything neat and tidy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Steal FFXI's Puppeteer class. Gimme a cute little Mammet to run around with

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DanielCross posted:

I once again submit a Wakka-inspired "Blitzer" as a Physical Ranged DPS job. This is the only thing I want from this game. Make it a Meracydian job.

The Bendigo Aurochs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DanielCross posted:

I once again submit a Wakka-inspired "Blitzer" as a Physical Ranged DPS job. This is the only thing I want from this game. Make it a Meracydian job.

The teacher is a thinly-veiled Wakka clone who is shockingly racist against Ala Mhigans.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, my general read on requested jobs is that people are pretty good on DoW jobs since the only realistic, not-nitpicky requests there are things already teased like Beastmaster. Meanwhile there's a good handful of distinctly different caster/healer jobs that get requested pretty often. Maybe that's just because we haven't had a magic DPS job especially for a while, but I even saw it before Endwalker.

I do kinda read the Green Mages as people who want to request a magic job but are trying to look smart by avoiding the magic jobs everyone else is requesting.

I want Green Mages specifically to have a Job that is Viera Culture based.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zeruel posted:

this might sound hosed up, but are retainers people? or is it a dragons dogma pawn thing?

Yes, there's retainers in-world employed by adventurers and such, they just understandably don't really factor into the story much.

The retainers in 1.0 had a list of names for all the different race/sex combinations, and that list of names was widely reused for 2.0+ NPCs. While it's not really made all that explicit that any of them are meant to be former retainers, there's some notable names on it: Gegeruju, for one.

quote:

A member of the Dunesfolk, the only thing more mysterious than this Lalafell plutocrat is how he obtained his money.
His rise to wealth certainly would have been helped by some abandoned adventurer assets in the wake of the Calamity, no?

All of Edda's party save herself were also 1.0 retainers.
Masha Mhakaracca of the Songbirds (also Nashu's sister) was another, as well as Cemi Jinjahl of the Stormblood stretch of Carpenter's quests (though, given she's supposed to be 17, it's perhaps less likely she's meant to be one and the same).
Even Emmanellain (lol) and M'naago were on the list.

biceps crimes posted:

i kind of wish thief was its own job instead of turning into ninja. feels like it could be its own distinct thing and exist simultaneously with ninja
Shame there is Rogue->Ninja is pretty time-honored in the Final Fantasy brand. Maybe if they'd had more classes leading to multiple jobs like Arcanist, Rogue could have become Corsair or something.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The change they made to networking in 6.3 puts significant extra stress on the servers and the vast majority of problems people were having that forced the rollback were occurring on the NA servers.

The NA servers probably have the highest population per server ratio and it makes sense to upgrade them first anyway (running under the assumption the oldest NA and JP servers are on similar hardware).

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

biceps crimes posted:

i kind of wish thief was its own job instead of turning into ninja. feels like it could be its own distinct thing and exist simultaneously with ninja

same and I want it to have the Treasure Hunter buff from FFXI that makes loot + animal pieces drop more frequently

aers
Feb 15, 2012

People always cite a very old YoshiP quote about the WoL not being a thief so they called it rogue but I dont know if its true

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
my WoL is a thief

stealin hearts, punchin (old) farts

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The WoL doesn't steal, they have the retainers to do that for them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

aers posted:

People always cite a very old YoshiP quote about the WoL not being a thief so they called it rogue but I dont know if its true

I do know that they don't want to add 'evil' jobs, which is the actual reason Necromancer's never been on the table. You could debatably say that tracks for Thief, too, since we don't exactly have any other jobs that are literally named after crimes.

People argue there could be a 'good necromancer' because we have DRK and RPR, but c'mon, how is someone going to raise a zombie in a way that doesn't gently caress up their karmic balance?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Look, my friend Autgar Hammil might have a few issues with the events of his thirty-third year, but he's still doing the best he can.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Take the necromancer skillet and call it Mammeteer. You unlock the job quest by getting said title, and every skill uses a random minion that you own. Yes, especially the plush cushion

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I do know that they don't want to add 'evil' jobs, which is the actual reason Necromancer's never been on the table. You could debatably say that tracks for Thief, too, since we don't exactly have any other jobs that are literally named after crimes.

People argue there could be a 'good necromancer' because we have DRK and RPR, but c'mon, how is someone going to raise a zombie in a way that doesn't gently caress up their karmic balance?

Yeah, basically raising the dead is by nature not guchi in the setting at hand. Mostly for corpse desecration reasons (since Necromancy is as often just putting a voidsent into a corpse as it is attempting to put the original soul in).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sentient Data posted:

Take the necromancer skillet and call it Mammeteer. You unlock the job quest by getting said title, and every skill uses a random minion that you own. Yes, especially the plush cushion

*beats Nidhogg to death with a watermelon*

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Cleretic posted:

By learning from the one Necromancer whom karma has no hold over, claimed as he is by the fickle and capricious whims of fate.

Hildibrand, Job Teacher Extraordinaire!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Give us Physician as a melee attacking healer whose attacks generate resources for Mix, similar to NIN's mudra or MNK's beast chakra. Make Severian hate the job mentor for comedy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Job where everytime they think about giving MNK a ranged attack it goes to that Job instead.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

A Job where everytime they think about giving MNK a ranged attack it goes to that Job instead.

I just stared leveling monk again, had it at 60, and forgot how fun that job is. Was leveling dragoon which is comparitively meh.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

There's a webnovel I read, Unliving (though I'm currently behind), that doesn't immediately make necromancy evil in an interesting way.

At the start, there's three countries on the continent that use necromancy. Two are led by quite clearly evil leaders, but the third is not. He treats the living with compassion, and both he and his people treat the dead with respect. It's quite fun to read, with the MC being a new type of undead that manages to keep her soul and sentience without becoming a Lich.

That said, it's 100% a cultural thing, and this approach doesn't work on Eitherys. Undead are definitely not around for good reasons here, outside of the Gentlemanly Undead.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I would see plans for other jobs burn for one 100 potencey ranged ki (aether?) blast.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

Just have the job use the Lord of Verminion abilities except they affect normal enemies. Your minion deck is the blue mage spellbook equivalent.

I forget if any dlc-only minions have incredibly broken Verminion abilities, so it's probably not pay to win?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My uncle is Mr. Square and he says the next job is Calculator and that the trainer will be Math Bot and that all of the job quests will be 1st-4th grade math worksheets.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord_Magmar posted:

They were also a Viera class, so hopefully they'd be tied into the Viera of FFXIV somewhat. Basically nature themed dps casters.

You're thinking of Elementalist. Green Mage was a buff/debuff class who had the usual suite of Protect and friends, and also weird poo poo like Oil and Leap.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why would anyone except hardcore raiders want to play a buff/debuff job?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bring back the Mascot Job from X-2

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FuturePastNow posted:

Why would anyone except hardcore raiders want to play a buff/debuff job?

It's not a big group, but there are dozens (dozens!) of us that like to play support roles, even outside of devoted raid groups8

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

It's not a big group, but there are dozens (dozens!) of us that like to play support roles, even outside of devoted raid groups8

Yeah, I've mentioned before, I love the angle of playing a hard support role, which is why I play AST which is the closest you can get here.

I don't think Green Mage has enough cohesive identity to actually exist as a job, but I can get behind the general idea of them as a buff-focused hard support job.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Add Pictomancer and make it so I can draw sick pictures of my party and give them buffs when they see how cool they look

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Make Ink Mage real

Unrelated, but the Puma collab goes live in a few days and the most annoying thing is every advert or product pic for the collection on the us store has a model wearing an outfit that's impossible to buy with the weird way they're sectioning poo poo by region.

Oh you like these white shorts? Too bad we just wanted to show them to you. Rad Slipstreams? JP only sucka!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got new shoes a week ago so any inkling I had about trying for an FFXIV pair went out the window.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think they should do a caster and a ranged that uses scouting gear. There's not REALLY any reason why that wouldn't work and it would make everything neat and tidy.

I guess my question would be why would they want to do that? Making things "neat and tidy" doesn't really do anything when ranged roles already have a gear classification for them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vitamean posted:

I got new shoes a week ago so any inkling I had about trying for an FFXIV pair went out the window.

I guess my question would be why would they want to do that? Making things "neat and tidy" doesn't really do anything when ranged roles already have a gear classification for them.

Cause I think it would be cool :shobon:

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Bring back the Mascot Job from X-2
Not gonna lie, I think that would get a lot of love from the playerbase. Plus you've got so many mascot glams already...

That said, since Mascot in X-2 was different for each character, there's also no cohesive mechanics for it besides auto-protect/shell/Ribbon, which would be a weird FF14 mechanic anyway.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

oh ok

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The shoes should come with a code so I can wear them in game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mister Olympus posted:

i count "make blue mage a real job and kill the limited job concept" as one of those too

Considering how Blue Mage is woefully neglected for the majority of an expac before getting a piecemeal update that gives about 20 new spells and little else, I'm gradually coming around to this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The class is more of a toy than anything, what would it take to be considered not neglected?