Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
thinking about all the garbage journos refuting hershs article using osint "intelligence". It would be fun to contrast their whole argument revolving around "the navy was here because tracking says so" with poo poo like "China is depleting the oceans secretly by turning off their trackers" or "Iran is trabsferring oil to North Korea in the sea by turning off their trackers"

These guys are so r-worded that they honestly believe some lovely rusted out factory trawler is far more sophisticated than the United States and Norwegian navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

OctaMurk posted:

did widespread use cluster bombs, antipersonnel mines and incendiaries not already make you go "what the gently caress"

it’s pretty funny that a no poo poo war is happening and everyone is like :monocle: eh gads! nobody is following our war rules! some one stop them! this is uncivilized!

Torpor has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Mar 22, 2023

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Nix Panicus posted:

Multipolarity won't do poo poo to solve climate change, so really its all just window dressing as civilization slides into the disposal.

that was never getting fixed anyway so

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Is there a limit to how long they can keep the current wave of mobilization in the field for?

Not officially, I would imagine after 12-18 months that the rotations are going to get longer, eventually they would either silently bring more guys into the system while demobilizing others. Also, the official size of the Russian ground force is expanding so you may actually have more professionals leaking into the system either from totally new recruits or mobilized soldiers who decided to sign on permanently.

I wouldn't say eventually another wave of mobilization would be impossible but if it is a long-war they would probably hold it in their back pocket.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Mar 22, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i keep hearing how those 300k troops that russia mobilized aren't all deployed yet, they're mostly still training. that doesn't sound right to me but idk anything about timescales of training

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

crepeface posted:

i keep hearing how those 300k troops that russia mobilized aren't all deployed yet, they're mostly still training. that doesn't sound right to me but idk anything about timescales of training

they're actually all dead OP, the ruzzians and tankies want you to believe that they're still in training but the average ukranian has a killcount of 200.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mlmp08 posted:

A lot of NHK focuses on like... dying fishing communities that are very pretty, but cold and with barely any internet, and a population of 58 elderly people. And fun to watch sumo highlights.

40% of their gdp which is auto related is getting vaporized by china in the coming years, sooooo i hope like pivoting to tourism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

Granted, they probably aren't training full time, but rather they are in back areas or Russia mostly waiting around and occasionally doing exercises. Admittedly, at this point, they probably have enough time to fully be familiar with their weapon systems.

It is just the Russians are waiting for an opportunity to utilize them without taking significant casualties.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

izagoof posted:

i completely missed brown moses posting ai pics of trump getting arrested and then people believing they were real

e: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/03/fake-ai-generated-images-imagining-donald-trumps-arrest-circulate-on-twitter/

This is sad, right? Creating fantasy images of something that you desperately wanted to happen but didn't? I just want to make sure It's not just me.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

smug jeebus posted:

This is sad, right? Creating fantasy images of something that you desperately wanted to happen but didn't? I just want to make sure It's not just me.

yea if someone did it for that reason it would be really sad. If they did it so they could tweet like “omg it’s happening” to troll people that’s ok.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

crepeface posted:

Well what has been explained by people in the know about the way the Russian military works is that the mobilization was more of a recall of already trained soldiers. The western narrative has been mean old Putin was dragging completely fresh teenagers off the street and throwing them on the front line with no training or equipment, but what seems to be the case is that if there was a shorter time for deployment it's because these people were recently in the army and only needed to be organized and receive a refresher / onboarding to become effective soldiers again.

Most estimates were that the timeline for the refresher would be under 2 months from the time of mobilization, as opposed to a more typical training timeline for training a new soldier which I understand can run in excess of 4 months.. either way one would think that whatever training has taken place would have long since been wrapped up and these people are ready.

As to what they are doing right now it's hard to speculate. There is some contention that Russia has used the 300k to fill out the line with more capable troops to avoid a repeat of the Kharkiv "disaster" where the Ukrainians found a 50 kilometer stretch of the front that was held by the local book club.

**of course there's a deeper story behind what happened in and around the Kharkiv offensive and I am aware that my joke kind of plays into western narratives of Russian incompetence, but I guess the point is the Russians may be using the soldiers to avoid a circumstance where they have no choice but to withdraw from a large section of the front in order to preserve manpower.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Mar 22, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm not saying its bad to see American hegemony collapse, just that 'positive feelings about the future' are still unwarranted
Why should I not have positive feelings about the future? Am I gonna pollute a little more or something? gently caress that I'm gonna live at least a little instead of circling the drain (I've done enough of that mentally already).

EDIT: Like I suspect that sentence of yours contains multitudes, but I can't unpack that all. No one asked to be born, and everyone is already destined to die, including the planet itself, whether that be within our lifetimes or in 1,000,000,000 years when the oxygen runs out/the sun gets too drat big, but we have still had positive thoughts about the past present and future along with the bad, why is it necessary and proper to stop now? It doesn't make you happy does it? Does it do some great good? I doubt both of those (and if it does then good on you I suppose) and if not why bother being negative? Go read a comic or play a prank or take a walk somewhere if you can, or just some other stupid rear end poo poo. Hell go do some volunteer work for dogs or cats or something, they're too drat dumb to realize poo poo so they're all just like all nonverbally grateful for things that don't make sense to humans, so that can be fun.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Mar 22, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Getting any tank round in your body is bad for your health imo

I play a tank in world of warcraft and i can help correct you of this misconception

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

are they any good

about as good as any other untested western tank

very expensive, weird technobabble about advanced armour verging on magic, their newest tank, the type 10, is a little lighter than most NATO tanks but they claim the armour is SO COOL that its fine

it'll explode when shot like any other tank

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Ukrainians had their own comparable pool of reservists at one point at least, but those were the guys who started to come online in March/April 2022 to start filling in the gaps in the line left by the professional military (the territorial defense forces are included here), but they have been heavily attrition'd at this point. (Also, some of them haven't seen service because they had already left he country, or are in some position that protects them).

Regarde Aduck posted:

about as good as any other untested western tank

very expensive, weird technobabble about advanced armour verging on magic, their newest tank, the type 10, is a little lighter than most NATO tanks but they claim the armour is SO COOL that its fine

it'll explode when shot like any other tank

Japanese tanks in particular are designed to be lighter than most MBTs just based on the infrastructure they have to use. This is probably acceptable in a defensive role, but most of their armor is located at the front hull/front which probably means there are significant compromises elsewhere.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Mar 22, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

You don't how I commented that Xi's visit to Russia is very sudden and seem out of usual MO for Chinese foreign affair protocle. I think I figure out the motive of this visit timing. I thought it would make more sense if Xi do it after Tsai's stop over visit to US and after Little Macron's impending visit to China.

I heard that the leaking of Xi's visit was from the Ukraine side. In other words, China didn't even tell US Xi's impending visit, they only told it to Ukraine in order to schedule a zoom meeting with Zelenskyy. Obviously, telling Zelenskyy equal telling US, so either US or Ukraine leaked it to the press. (I think it was Reuter or whoever broke the news a couple days before the Beijing announcement).

Anyway, there has been shocking lacking of US (Blinken/Biden/Sullivan) accusation of Xi supporting the invader. There is only a hit piece of discovering China marking bullets in the war which is a nonthingburger.

I think I figure out why. The banking financial crisis is not over. From what I have heard, the current banking trouble is not remotely over. There is a possibility of developing into a 2009 II situation. And US need China's help to buy more US bonds and debt and whatever to get over the current problem caused by the high interest rate. I am only interest in geopolitics and not investment so I will just speak in the language I am familiar with. Basically Xi sensed he is currently sitting at the position of strength and both the US """doves""" Yellen and Raimondo are banging at the door and want to go to China. So Xi knew US can't poo poo talk China at this very moment, that's why he quickly bag this long planned Putin visit and move on the next stage of Sino-US competition. Blinken already shot his load and melt down over the balloon nonsense, so he burnt his bridge and can't come to China. So it's up to Yellen and Raimondo on the next at-bat.

Vaguely attached, but, there are many banks who can fall, the only issues will be the order in which debts are called, the degree to which states and other banks are willing to lie and hide losses, and the degree to which our neoliberal states will actually be willing to directly intervene

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

A lot of NHK focuses on like... dying fishing communities that are very pretty, but cold and with barely any internet, and a population of 58 elderly people. And fun to watch sumo highlights.

NHK World is the full pivot to tourism and Cool Japan one, NHK proper still lowkey thinks it's the BBC. Not they're in bad company, the BBC still lowkey thinks it's the BBC for some reason.

The sumo ends as of Sunday, though, while the baseball runs until the 31st. And no one's playing Katyusha as a fight song for the wrestlers, while Tokoha High busted it out. (Lost to the second-most-inspired band director at the tournament, whose signature pick was FF5's Battle on the Big Bridge.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Japanese tanks in particular are designed to be lighter than most MBTs just based on the infrastructure they have to use. This is probably acceptable in a defensive role, but most of their armor is located at the front hull/front which probably means there are significant compromises elsewhere.

Gundams are for the offensive role.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
it never ceases to be funny to me when putin and xi meet and they put out the most bland and boring sounding agreements and proclamations but somehow natsec ghouls act like its the death star

"friendship pact for cooperation in harmony in science and commerce"

meanwhile in langley:-

"jesus christ sir, the bear and dragon are loving, theyre birthing the ultimate lifeform, the Bearagon!!"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tom Clussy warned us of this with their best selling amazon erotica series!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

it never ceases to be funny to me when putin and xi meet and they put out the most bland and boring sounding agreements and proclamations but somehow natsec ghouls act like its the death star

"friendship pact for cooperation in harmony in science and commerce"

meanwhile in langley:-

"jesus christ sir, the bear and dragon are loving, theyre birthing the ultimate lifeform, the Bearagon!!"

This but its a harry potter analogy because that's all they read.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So I guess there's still nothing decisive happening on the front lines then. It sucks that the only way we'll be able to tell which side's been bullshitting about their strength and capabilities is when they start to obviously lose on the battlefield.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the more they keep saying this offinsive is gonna happen the more im convinced it never will and russias gonna take the long brutal grind road instead

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1638449713450999808?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

also the russians seem super happy and chipper despite how badly their army is struggling

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1638339325330096129?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Mar 22, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Why would rich people be upset about the poors dying?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

That's the best part. They think their betters actually care about them.

I'm sure Duke Floppyhat Wilfred the 3rd cares a great deal about the hessian sack wearing peasants of Number 4 Mud Lane.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

1stGear posted:

right!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
al saqr crying that the Russian army isn't doing sick killstreaks against the AFU.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tankbuster posted:

al saqr crying that the Russian army isn't doing sick killstreaks against the AFU.

I'd be upset if I was doing work with the flak cannon and the announcer from Unreal Tournament wasn't shouting my praises too.

M-m-m-monster kill!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

It means that Russia is pretty much dead, that is how war works. If you do boring rear end shelling for months on end, you lose...the attention of a bunch of weirdos who follow constantly follow the war.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Mar 22, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to really show off your sick war skills you need to livestream yourself doing 360 noscope headshots while skateboarding down a stair handrail going "wooooaaaah dude!".

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

people get left and right confused but never up and down

makes you think

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I mean in water it gets a lot easier to confuse up and down. Or air.

Pilots and divers do it all the time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Polar versus relative bearing is a pita too.

I was thinking about anti armour ammunition when I woke up this morning and I remembered something that ties it back to using old T-62s. When Germany was reunified, it was discovered that the DDR's "obsolete" T-55s, when fitted with the modernization kit the DDR had used while they waited for T-72s, was protected against most NATO weapons, at most ranges, in the areas most likely to be hit. "Brezhnev's eyebrows" were more than adequate to break up a HEAT jet or seriously reduce the effectiveness of a penetrator. Additionally, the gun-fired missiles were rated as a major advantage, and the fire control systems and NV/TI brought them much closer to parity with newly built vehicles. NATO had barely been considering these tanks before, they were only seriously worried about T-64s, and later T-80s among the Soviet forces in East Germany.

It seems to me that the T-62 being upgraded the same way makes all the sense in the world as an economy of force measure, and as they have thousands in storage anyway, protecting them against most weapons, in most scenarios, most of the time, is the correct decision. It's exactly what Canada did with MEXAS, France with BRENUS, the UK ROMOR-A, US RISE etc.

I would have to read more up about those armour arrays because they're big honking things, I think the name for them on the T-55 was "Dolly Parton", but it seems like as long as it's less expensive than a new tank, it's money well spent.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Mar 22, 2023

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i was gonna say its loving up ski production

my wife's skis are made in ukraine

not me though, the only moral ski producer in this particular moment is france :france:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i was gonna say its loving up ski production

my wife's skis are made in ukraine

not me though, the only moral ski producer in this particular moment is france :france:

it also makes the cross country competitions a lot worse, without bolshunov and the rest of the russian team its complete norwegian domination on the mens side

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

putin vs zelensky in a biathlon, who would win

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Polar versus relative bearing is a pita too.

I was thinking about anti armour ammunition when I woke up this morning and I remembered something that ties it back to using old T-62s. When Germany was reunified, it was discovered that the DDR's "obsolete" T-55s, when fitted with the modernization kit the DDR had used while they waited for T-72s, was protected against most NATO weapons, at most ranges, in the areas most likely to be hit. "Brezhnev's eyebrows" were more than adequate to break up a HEAT jet or seriously reduce the effectiveness of a penetrator. Additionally, the gun-fired missiles were rated as a major advantage, and the fire control systems and NV/TI brought them much closer to parity with newly built vehicles. NATO had barely been considering these tanks before, they were only seriously worried about T-64s, and later T-80s among the Soviet forces in East Germany.

It seems to me that the T-62 being upgraded the same way makes all the sense in the world as an economy of force measure, and as they have thousands in storage anyway, protecting them against most weapons, in most scenarios, most of the time, is the correct decision. It's exactly what Canada did with MEXAS, France with BRENUS, the UK ROMOR-A, US RISE etc.

I would have to read more up about those armour arrays because they're big honking things, I think the name for them on the T-55 was "Dolly Parton", but it seems like as long as it's less expensive than a new tank, it's money well spent.

"Dolly Parton" was the increased armor on the later T-72 turrets. I think the T-72B/T-72M1 models?

Edit:

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Mar 22, 2023

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

i say swears online posted:

putin vs zelensky in a biathlon, who would win

putin probably has more of the skills but is old and infirm and zelensky is pumped full of steroids every morning. it's a toss-up

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I was thinking about anti armour ammunition when I woke up this morning

#justFFthings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Gundams are for the offensive role.

Gundams are planes.