Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

If it’s not already in a separate tube (like you’re carrying a palette or w/e) I’d bring it along in a separate tube, and when you mix use the SMALLEST touch of whatever color + blob of white.

It’s important to remember gouache is semi-opaque watercolor, so your whitest white is the paper. Honestly I like using white acrylic at the end to push highlights/whites.

Also titanium white is more opaque than zinc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Crocobile posted:

If it’s not already in a separate tube (like you’re carrying a palette or w/e) I’d bring it along in a separate tube, and when you mix use the SMALLEST touch of whatever color + blob of white.

It’s important to remember gouache is semi-opaque watercolor, so your whitest white is the paper. Honestly I like using white acrylic at the end to push highlights/whites.

Also titanium white is more opaque than zinc.

Yeah, already planning on carrying the tube, just seems that even the even mild brush contamination pushes it too far from white - though I'm more used to oil so maybe the habit of just moving to the next color without really cleaning the brush is culprit. I've ordered a tube of titanium white and will try keeping a brush on highlight duty.

Keetron posted:

You might want to consider watercolors when on the road. But that is just you know, my opinion, man.
Why is this? Traveling with gouache seems to already be relatively common.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
oh gosh yeah, you gotta clean the brush between colours. Unless you don't mind muddiness.:)

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I went and set up a portfolio site to organize my doodlings, as well as created a landing page for commissioned illustrations. This is all quite new to me and I'm quite entirely not sure what I'm doing. Is there anyone else in this thread that has done anything similar whom could provide any advice?

https://jmreilly.myportfolio.com

Edit: I found this dusty book in my library that seems to have some useful information for creative weirdos that have no idea about how to business. I'm open to suggestions on any other books or resources to help in a similar way. https://amzn.to/3XEXz6H

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 18, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Recommendation for a photoshop process?

Trying to combine hues within a certain threshold into a solid huge.

So far it seems like Filter Gallery > Cutout is the closest to what I'm looking for?

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Recommendation for a photoshop process?

Trying to combine hues within a certain threshold into a solid huge.

So far it seems like Filter Gallery > Cutout is the closest to what I'm looking for?

I use combinations of Image->Adjustments->Posterize and Filter->Blur->Smart Blur to accomplish what I think you're asking about. Try them in different orders and amounts to compress images down into solid hues.

Also, depending on the source image, sometimes making several duplicates of the original source, apply a different level of Image->Adjustments->Threshold to each, and color pick and apply a specific color to each threshold'd layer.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Instead of doing Posterize via the Image-Adjustments menu, make an adjustment layer. It’s non-destructive so you can mess with it along with the Smart Filters.

Another thing you can do is convert the image from RGB to indexed color. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/customizing-indexed-color-tables.html

If you set up your color table just how you want and save it to a file, you can apply that table to other images either one-off or as a batch.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does anyone have any recommendations for books on constructive anatomy for drawing from imagination?

I'm at the point where I can draw a stick mannequin in proportion okay, but I have difficulty adding muscles and form to the basic stick figure, as well as adding clothes. I'm looking to draw more stylized figures in particular.

Loomis's figure drawing for all it's worth is a good example, but something more modern would be helpful, maybe with a focus on construction tips (i.e. the outer part of the thigh muscle is generally higher than the inner portion, etc.)

I'm thinking of a book that does something like: If you draw an elliptoid on this part of your stick drawing, it can represent your thigh muscles, and you can connect this way to the foot. Or The bicep is underneath the pectoral which is under the deltoid, so you can use these three lines to simulate where the upper arm connects to the torso.

Some books I've considered are Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton and Point Character Drawings by Taco.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

Instead of doing Posterize via the Image-Adjustments menu, make an adjustment layer. It’s non-destructive so you can mess with it along with the Smart Filters.

Another thing you can do is convert the image from RGB to indexed color. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/customizing-indexed-color-tables.html

If you set up your color table just how you want and save it to a file, you can apply that table to other images either one-off or as a batch.

These are Pro Tips. Do as much in adjustment layers as possible so they're non-destructive and can be tweaked easily.

The Customizing Index Color Tables to accomplish this is new info to me, and I've been using Photoshop for like decades now. Well done! This is excellent info.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Does anyone sell prints, and if so is there some good print to order service? I've gotten stuff printed w Shutterfly, Google photos, and some other service I can't recall but never used anything like redbubble and the like. Any recommendations?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sup! I'm dipping my toes into watercolor and had a paper question. I'm shopping for 100% cotton paper for practice and I'm wondering if watercolor block paper is the same tooth on both sides? I'm specifically looking at the baohong academy blocks, and would like to make use of both sides if possible.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Does anyone sell prints, and if so is there some good print to order service? I've gotten stuff printed w Shutterfly, Google photos, and some other service I can't recall but never used anything like redbubble and the like. Any recommendations?

It depends on what you want. I print my own on an ancient Epson r2000. I buy print on demand prints as a part of my day job so I have seen some from different services.

I wasn't impressed with Redbubble. Fine Art America is OK but their customer service can be iffy if you have a problem. Society 6 is pretty low quality paper. I hear Printful is good but have no personal experience with them. I have always liked anything we get from Smugmug but that is mostly photo prints.

The thing I hear over and over from art fair artists I know is it's best to find a local print shop to do them for you if you don't do your own. They might be more expensive but then you can see the product and tweak things.

If you have a local Blick, they often have sales on their printing services though I don't know how good a deal they are. They do have nice giclee printers.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Google Butt posted:

Sup! I'm dipping my toes into watercolor and had a paper question. I'm shopping for 100% cotton paper for practice and I'm wondering if watercolor block paper is the same tooth on both sides? I'm specifically looking at the baohong academy blocks, and would like to make use of both sides if possible.
The only blocks I’ve used are Arches cold press 140gsm, they’re slightly different on each side but both usable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HungryMedusa posted:

It depends on what you want. I print my own on an ancient Epson r2000. I buy print on demand prints as a part of my day job so I have seen some from different services.

I wasn't impressed with Redbubble. Fine Art America is OK but their customer service can be iffy if you have a problem. Society 6 is pretty low quality paper. I hear Printful is good but have no personal experience with them. I have always liked anything we get from Smugmug but that is mostly photo prints.

The thing I hear over and over from art fair artists I know is it's best to find a local print shop to do them for you if you don't do your own. They might be more expensive but then you can see the product and tweak things.

If you have a local Blick, they often have sales on their printing services though I don't know how good a deal they are. They do have nice giclee printers.

🤯 I buy half my paints at a local blick idk why I didn't even think to check out their print services! Thanks for the advice :)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Google Butt posted:

I concur with the previous post. I've used a lot of brands and they're all just slightly different on both sides. strathmores in my experience are significantly different, canson and arches are pretty close. random super high end stuff varies. All can be useable on either side. experiment a little and figure out what you prefer.

I used to have a huge issue where i wasnt using my art supplies to experiment enough because I was too precious about the costs and poo poo and its like nah. you gotta gently caress around to find out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thanks for the advice. I did a bunch of research and the most economical option I've found for decently reviewed 100% cotton paper is the baohong academy in 10 packs of 15x22" sheets @ $35 shipped. I ordered 2 packs with the plan to cut them up and paint on both sides. I'm hoping I can avoid feeling too precious about them at that price point, but we'll see..

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2023

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Does anyone have experience with scanning painted canvases? I'm trying to figure out whether buying a flatbed (scanning in sections) or having it scanned professionally is a good price / convenience. I'd need to scan widths up to 24".

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Is the canvas on stretcher bars? Most works on canvas just don’t scan well at all. It’s better to invest the energy in a photography setup with appropriate lighting, tripod and DSLR.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Neon Noodle posted:

Is the canvas on stretcher bars? Most works on canvas just don’t scan well at all. It’s better to invest the energy in a photography setup with appropriate lighting, tripod and DSLR.

It's a 1.5 inch depth canvas. A photography setup might be the way to go anyway for sales listings. My computer touching ways have me wanting a "lossless" scan so that I can provide a print option.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
A good photo with a proper lighting set up is the professional way to get art imaged, and is going to be better than any scan for all but the most flat and untextured image. A 24MP photo is good for a 13x20 inch print at 300dpi.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've been curious about watercolour as a way to colourise sketches in my sketch book. I bought this today: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/faber-castell-watercolour-pans-and-brush-18-pack-fa18010075

What is the best practice with a kit like this in terms of mixing colours? i.e. if I want to make a lighter shade of ultramarine, do I sample some of the ultramarine with a wet brush, deposit it on the white plastic palette piece, clean the brush, then repeat with some of the white and mix from there?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neurotech posted:

I've been curious about watercolour as a way to colourise sketches in my sketch book. I bought this today: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/faber-castell-watercolour-pans-and-brush-18-pack-fa18010075

What is the best practice with a kit like this in terms of mixing colours? i.e. if I want to make a lighter shade of ultramarine, do I sample some of the ultramarine with a wet brush, deposit it on the white plastic palette piece, clean the brush, then repeat with some of the white and mix from there?

If it's watercolor and not something like gouache, don't use the white. You just dilute the paint with water to get it lighter and you save the white of the paper as your highlights. A good way to go about it is to wet an area of the paper first, then just slowly add a little bit of pigment to gradually darken it up. And if you go too far you can wet a brush and lift it so long as the color is not very staining.

For mixing, you can either mix colors together on the pallette then use them, or just layer them like you were glazing. You don't have to let it dry between adding colors but know that the paint will go wherever it's wet on the paper so controlling that will be good for keeping the edges where you want them.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 22, 2023

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

If it's watercolor and not something like gouache, don't use the white. You just dilute the paint with water to get it lighter and you save the white of the paper as your highlights. A good way to go about it is to wet an area of the paper first, then just slowly add a little bit of pigment to gradually darken it up. And if you go too far you can wet a brush and lift it so long as the color is not very staining.

Ahhh I see, I didn't think that diluting would lighten it. That makes sense. What about darkening?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neurotech posted:

Ahhh I see, I didn't think that diluting would lighten it. That makes sense. What about darkening?

You can add black to darken. Or complements or whatever you like.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

You can add black to darken. Or complements or whatever you like.

Right, and would I use that method I suggested earlier (except with black of course)?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neurotech posted:

Right, and would I use that method I suggested earlier (except with black of course)?

Yeah you could. Or you could mix the black with the blue on the palette then add instead of adding black directly to the paper. You should experiment with different ways and see how you like to work with it.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah you could. Or you could mix the black with the blue on the palette then add instead of adding black directly to the paper. You should experiment with different ways and see how you like to work with it.

That's what I was getting at, yep. I'm mainly asking because I was worried that I'd cross-contaminate the pans somehow.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You can also use less water to make the paint darker.

Don't darken with black - darken with the complementary colour

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Don't darken with black - darken with the complementary colour

Eh that's more of a preference thing imo. I know plenty of skilled watercolorists who use black and their work is fine for it.

Like I know using black in painting is a bit of a controversial subject that people have strong feelings about in general. But I think it's good to be careful about absolutes of always use x or never use y, since people can make a lot of stuff work you know? Even Sargent used black after all.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 22, 2023

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If you darken with the complementary color, you will both darken and neutralize. Different black pigments have different temperatures. You might want to darken in a different hue direction, so choose your darkening color based on that. For instance, you can darken toward blue or purple with Ultramarine, or darken toward brown with Burnt Umber.

edit: watch some veedios
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4GKIljwZeFto2DTYFyvfVbeoU0txHXcs

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Just using a warm and cool color to paint is a lot of fun and you'd be surprised at the range you can get. Primary red and ultramarine is great, viridian and vermillion.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
New stuff for a new year. I’m resolving to do small, low-production-count pieces to force myself to rely less on re-printing the same old stuff all the time

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

love the second one in particular. I like the colour gradient in the background.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for the advice. I did a bunch of research and the most economical option I've found for decently reviewed 100% cotton paper is the baohong academy in 10 packs of 15x22" sheets @ $35 shipped. I ordered 2 packs with the plan to cut them up and paint on both sides. I'm hoping I can avoid feeling too precious about them at that price point, but we'll see..

Strathmore 400 is good, economical, and available drat near anywhere. I like it better than Fabriano, way better than Canson.

E: Oh strathmore isn't 100% cotton, but if it's just for practice/funsies then why bother

Flambeau fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 27, 2023

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Did another map, this one is Kansas surficial geology. 18x24, I've been working with larger paper and it's pretty rewarding.
Forgive the poor lighting

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I've also been doing some experiments with setting wood on fire, then printing it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Holy moly

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

I've also been doing some experiments with setting wood on fire, then printing it

These are really cool. The last one looks like an elephant’s snout.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Love these so much

The bottom one reminds me of an owl.

Flambeau posted:

Did another map, this one is Kansas surficial geology. 18x24, I've been working with larger paper and it's pretty rewarding.
Forgive the poor lighting

This is a great idea and I love the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

smallmouth posted:

These are really cool. The last one looks like an elephant’s snout.

silicone thrills posted:

Love these so much

The bottom one reminds me of an owl.

It's clearly ET with his head tilted to the side :colbert: