Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

kingturnip posted:

It's interesting to see a bit of wider discussion about OFSTED.

Almost as useful as Ofcom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

re the chat about the UK versus other places, here's a pretty topical twitter thread comparing Germany and the UK.

https://twitter.com/skedeschi/status/1638217655587840004?s=20

can't say I'm at all surprised by any of this, but still, bitter lols

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thank god denmarks honour has not been besmirched in this here thread, endlessmonotony you truly do us all a service with your poorly written kramer-posts

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jakabite posted:

Thank god denmarks honour has not been besmirched in this here thread, endlessmonotony you truly do us all a service with your poorly written kramer-posts

Are you NJAN100?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Danger - Octopus! posted:

re the chat about the UK versus other places, here's a pretty topical twitter thread comparing Germany and the UK.

https://twitter.com/skedeschi/status/1638217655587840004?s=20

Yeah but they don't have this:

(pulls out the good ole red, white n' blue)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

we have honoured the Dane lore

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The gently caress is this american poo poo, away with ya.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Gorn Myson posted:

And kasespatzle

a heaping pile of currywurst mit pomme

then later some schnitzel with schinkensalat and enough bitburger to wash it all down

goddamn I want to go back to germany

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Are you NJAN100?

No?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Tesseraction posted:

There's a second one where he says it's more offensive to call a Welsh person Welsh than the n-word,.

I'm at a complete loss for words over this. How could anyone even begin to compare being called welsh to a vile racist slur? Even if I accepted his explanation of the origin of the word Welsh (which as you pointed out is incorrect) how could that possibly be seen as worse than the n word?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Andoman posted:

I'm at a complete loss for words over this. How could anyone even begin to compare being called welsh to a vile racist slur? Even if I accepted his explanation of the origin of the word Welsh (which as you pointed out is incorrect) how could that possibly be seen as worse than the n word?
Because they're stupid wee shites who have just gained the level of self-awareness that "why can they say it and not me, when u think about it that's a racist double standard" just makes them look like terrible people, so now they're on a desperate dig through pseudohistory to find some false equivalences to prove that they should have been allowed to say the n-word all along without feeling bad. That's all that it's about.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can't make heads or tails of what endlessmonotony is trying to say about sweden but I guess it's either that they're bad... or good???
They're very Swedish.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Andoman posted:

His School fees were £11K a semester.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Andoman posted:

Yeah I've seen this brought up by people before and as a Welshman... So what? Lots of words have different meanings if you go back far enough. It's kinda how languages work.

The f slur was originally used for a bundle of sticks and then an old women. It's still used for specific types of meat balls in this country. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna punch you in the face if you call me it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
[decorum obsessed centrists]
Ah but what about the other f slur that was originally used for a bundle of sticks that makes tories and pigs very upset when you use it?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

endlessmonotony posted:

... you actually looked into it. Thank you.

Lol you're acting like a right dickhead. You failed to make a single coherent point, but instead just snidely attacked the other poster(s) engaged with you, and now you're still trying to somehow claim the moral high ground over them with this closing remark. Post better!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

endlessmonotony posted:

Well you got it badly wrong.

I get you've got strong emotions about this for some reason but the contents of your posts--"people in Denmark accuse racists of being Swedish", "Sweden (historically more than 50 years ago) was real bad", "you're so wrong about this that I won't tell you why and you should just accept that you are and stop posting" are just vapid nonsense.

forkboy84 posted:

:shrug: Well sorry but you didn't make your point particularly well, it all came off as just tangential ranting about whatever bee Sweden put in your bonnet.

I don't think anyone was saying the nation of Jimmie Åkesson's mob is somehow without flaws, lots of flaws. Although now I've looked I hadn't realised how much the Danish People's Party share of the vote had collapsed in the last few years, while the SDs keeping growing. Yikes, I will shut up now

The reason the Danish People's Party's been dying in the polls is that all other parties--including the nominal left, now in power--have adopted their stance on immigration. The Sweden Democrats were 100% forever pinkie promise shut out of all government power by all mainstream parties until a few years ago when they grew so big they were suddenly mainstreamed, so in that particular respect Sweden is well behind Denmark on the parliamentary racism curve. That is, of course, not the only relevant variable, but it's not one in Denmark's favour.

Finding actual examples of Swedish racism is super easy, just as it's trivial to find examples of danish anti-immigrant stuff which hasn't yet been done in Sweden. In most circumstances here public racism is still frowned upon, though the window's obviously moving the wrong way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah I've seen this brought up by people before and as a Welshman... So what? Lots of words have different meanings if you go back far enough. It's kinda how languages work.

The f slur was originally used for a bundle of sticks and then an old women. It's still used for specific types of meat balls in this country. That doesn't mean I'm not gonna punch you in the face if you call me it.

Do folk still smoke fags? Or has that been dropped from the language at this point? I mean, smoking cigarettes seems much less common among kids because they are all vaping now instead, to the point where I saw a teenager at the bus stop with a rollie & it was the first time I'd seen that in quite possibly years. With the caveat that I don't hang outside schools so don't exactly have a representative sample size. But is fag still used as a synonym for cigarettes by people under 30? I'm curious, if only because it seems like the sort of thing that would be dropped for the conitations but I also don't really know many zoomers.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I get you've got strong emotions about this for some reason but the contents of your posts--"people in Denmark accuse racists of being Swedish", "Sweden (historically more than 50 years ago) was real bad", "you're so wrong about this that I won't tell you why and you should just accept that you are and stop posting" are just vapid nonsense.

The reason the Danish People's Party's been dying in the polls is that all other parties--including the nominal left, now in power--have adopted their stance on immigration. The Sweden Democrats were 100% forever pinkie promise shut out of all government power by all mainstream parties until a few years ago when they grew so big they were suddenly mainstreamed, so in that particular respect Sweden is well behind Denmark on the parliamentary racism curve. That is, of course, not the only relevant variable, but it's not one in Denmark's favour.

Finding actual examples of Swedish racism is super easy, just as it's trivial to find examples of danish anti-immigrant stuff which hasn't yet been done in Sweden. In most circumstances here public racism is still frowned upon, though the window's obviously moving the wrong way.

The conclusion I come to is that nationalism is garbage & with the many impending global crises around climate & water & resources that capitalism is unable to even engage with it's probably only get worse as more of the world becomes unliveable. gently caress me, when I thought I wanted to live in interesting times this wasn't quite what I had in mind.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 22, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they all vape now.

Tabs was clearly the superior word option.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

The conclusion I come to is that nationalism is garbage & with the many impending global crises around climate & water & resources that capitalism is unable to even engage with it's probably only get worse as more of the world becomes unliveable. gently caress me, when I thought I wanted to live in interesting times this wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Most things are uglier when viewed from close up. that's how liberalism works, it's like a lossy 20x anti-aliasing filter for capitalist society

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

Do folk still smoke fags? Or has that been dropped from the language at this point?n I thought I wanted to live in interesting times this wasn't quite what I had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDgFrVCkGxE

It hasn't been dropped from the language. Folks still say it, albeit not in polite company.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The younger the person the less likely you are to hear it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

DesperateDan posted:

a heaping pile of currywurst mit pomme

then later some schnitzel with schinkensalat and enough bitburger to wash it all down

goddamn I want to go back to germany

We used to love the Schnell Imbiss vans and have bratwurst & chips.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

There's a second one where he says it's more offensive to call a Welsh person Welsh than the n-word
A couple more strong entries to round out the White Guy Centrists: Should They? triptych.

https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/1638103172735553536

https://twitter.com/DanielaNadj/status/1638245797710950424

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

forkboy84 posted:

Do folk still smoke fags?

As a mid- forties guy living in derbyshire, everyone my age-ish calls them fags or tabs. Not that it comes up much these days. I found a full pack of fags at a motorway services last week, and described it as such to my friends. Didn’t even occur to me until later that I maybe want to excise that from my vocabulary.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I always call cigarettes snout like a grizzled resident of wormwood scrubs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A social credit system is when they're subject to it, asbos are for other people. Same with all applications of the law and carceral system.

I see Giles Corencob is currently at the "well if you think about it the law was always an ideal template crudely applied to a complex society of individuals, and therefore ought sometimes to be pragmatically considered more like a set of suggestions" stage of this.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1638474532473143297

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sanford posted:

I found a full pack of fags at a motorway services last week,

Quids in! Seriously, not being a smoker ever I was :eyepop: overhearing what the price for a full pack of tabs is now the other day in the corner ASDA, fifteen nicker for a pack of 20 superking black.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sanford posted:

As a mid- forties guy living in derbyshire, everyone my age-ish calls them fags or tabs. Not that it comes up much these days. I found a full pack of fags at a motorway services last week, and described it as such to my friends. Didn’t even occur to me until later that I maybe want to excise that from my vocabulary.

Surely it's only Americans who get confused by the term? Must we modify our language because of Americans? I kick myself everytime I use the word 'movie' instead of 'film'.

I know I'm old :corsair: but 'fag' in British English is either slang for cigarette or a reference to Eton's fagging system?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Quids in! Seriously, not being a smoker ever I was :eyepop: overhearing what the price for a full pack of tabs is now the other day in the corner ASDA, fifteen nicker for a pack of 20 superking black.

My one smoking friend said they’d probably be twenty quid in a services. I gave them to the first homeless guy I saw, who was very grateful.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Do folk still smoke fags? Or has that been dropped from the language at this point? I mean, smoking cigarettes seems much less common among kids because they are all vaping now instead, to the point where I saw a teenager at the bus stop with a rollie & it was the first time I'd seen that in quite possibly years. With the caveat that I don't hang outside schools so don't exactly have a representative sample size. But is fag still used as a synonym for cigarettes by people under 30? I'm curious, if only because it seems like the sort of thing that would be dropped for the conitations but I also don't really know many zoomers.

I can't comment on those in their early 20s but it's very much still used by people in their late 20s both in Ireland and the UK.

I can understand wanting to phase out the use and there is definitely an understanding that there is an unfortunate homonym. It is always funny when there's someone who I'm only kinda familiar with who asks me for a fag (I'm gay), then immediately apologies for using the word.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Different contexts and I haven't come across anyone who has attempted to use it as a dog whistle to insult me (to my knowledge). However, I can understand others might not have that opinion.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surely it's only Americans who get confused by the term? Must we modify our language because of Americans? I kick myself everytime I use the word 'movie' instead of 'film'.

In the sitcom I’ve written (and several kind people from this thread have recently received a pilot script for) I went through and swapped out every instance of “TV” for “telly.” It was a good way to tell if it had been me or my writing partner actually putting the words in. He’s fifteen years younger than me and honestly, we can barely understand one another sometimes.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Pack of tabs what is that nonsense I've literally never heard that term ever.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I've only ever heard military people say "tabs", nowhere else. I don't know if it has any regional association

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do they not teach Geordie in schools any more?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Lord of the Llamas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDniUl69oDc

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

Do they not teach Geordie in schools any more?

I only know of tabs because of a geordie kid in an episode of Monkey Dust.

Oh and this:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cookie Cutter posted:

I've only ever heard military people say "tabs", nowhere else. I don't know if it has any regional association

saying the full Nicotiana tabacum every time you need a smoke wastes a lot of time. are boys have places to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reminds me of when people first started getting email accounts.

My brother & his late wife had a joint aol account so had a 'merger' of their names as an email address BroNameWifeName. Turns out that the pet name Chez we used for his wife (whose full name was Cherry) is apparently a male name in the US and suddenly he started getting inundated with homophobic emails where writers had assumed they were two blokes, but it was right at the start of public having emails so they weren't in any chat rooms or on any message boards so where people had picked up their email address from we did not know (and never found out)!