Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This family should be isolated and studied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/eviction-ban-lifted-to-halt-flight-of-cuckoo-fund-investors-from-the-market-42375288.html

And there you have it, the reason for lifting the ban. The minister said yesterday he acknowledges ending the ban will increase homelessness. But cuckoo fund profits take precedence over citizens having a home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm shocked, shocked!

Well... not that shocked

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Hi do ye want to see the Burkes all get dragged out of court after himself lost his appeal?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1633143088293068804?s=20

Hook it to my veins, clowns getting clowned on all day. There's even that one moment where one of the guards goes for a headlock, remembers the cameras and slowly retracks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is a headlock even considered an illegal restraint in Ireland, or does it just kinda look bad for the cameras?

Id love to get one of these chaps in a headlock; who's the big man now

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Not necessarily illegal, but doesn't look good if they are already restrained by 4 other people and being carried out like a Dunne Stores mannaquin.

Enock was already back at the school this morning. Hopefully the next stage of detainment is bear mace.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What percent of the country needs to go homeless before Darragh O’Brien is satisfied?

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Shoehead posted:

What percent of the country needs to go homeless before Darragh O’Brien is satisfied?

for a moment i thought you meant the host of Mock the Week and was very confused.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/17/leo-varadkar-apologises-for-apparent-clinton-lewinsky-joke
So who did Leo intern for in 2000? I bet it was someone terrible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait why is the Tainiste in the US or am I living under Leo again and I haven't noticed?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Wait why is the Tainiste in the US or am I living under Leo again and I haven't noticed?

Leo came back at the start of the year. It was a part of the coalition agreement that there would be a rotation. There was barely a reshuffle with it and it doesn't change much at all.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
To be honest Michael Martin barely registered for me as Taoiseach. The whole rotation deal seemed kinda pointless and I'm a bit annoyed they ever allowed it. A government should have one Taoiseach barring any deaths or retirements.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was under the impression it would rotate once and there wouldn't be time for Leo to sit in the big chair until it was time for another general. I didn't even notice

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
No it was split in half over the minimum term of a gov. So MM got 2 years and Leo will be Taoiseach for the rest of the gov, even if it goes longer.

It was a consolation prize for MM so he wouldn't be the only FF leader who wasn't Taoiseach. Even if it meant a big asterisk beside his name.

I wonder will it become common with future coalitions. Because both coalition leaders will get a Taoiseachs pension.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Wait, doesn't Eamon get a chance to lecture us all about south-facing windowsill plants from the Taoiseach's podium aswell??

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He was asleep in the meeting of party leaders when they asked if he was okay with it, so they just woke him up enough to get him to sign off and then put his hand in a bowl of warm water and went home giggling.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
loooooooooool @ leo invoking his inner larry david

first time i've ever felt an ounce of respect for the shitter

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What did he do?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I honestly wish I hadn't spent all of my stat points in obsessively focussing on U.S. domestic politics because its like a giant burning flame I can't look away from because I know an incredibly small amount when it comes to our own domestic politics. I even know more about British Politics than our own. My whole summary has always been 'FF/FG bad, responsible for selling the country to Google/Landlords. SF good, but probably don't have the most comprehensive manifesto when it comes to dealing with the machinery of the state/Might cause capitol flight???. and finally Peopl before Profit potentially good but also packed full of 5G conspiracy lunatics???'

All I know is I'm from Wicklow and despite making absolutely cracking scratch being a Software Engineer I still can't afford to live there so I live in Belfast instead.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Arquinsiel posted:

What did he do?

quote:

Varadkar apologises for ‘ill-judged’ joke about interns in Washington

Speaking at a Washington Ireland Program event on Thursday, Mr Varadkar remembered he was an intern in the city in the last year of Bill Clinton’s presidency “when some parents would have had cause for concern about what would happen to interns in Washington”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/03/16/varadkar-apologises-for-ill-judged-joke-about-interns-in-washington/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh, lol, apologising. Weird that he didn't try bullshit his way through like normal.

Also lol that he was interning for a "moderate" but still extremely lovely Republican.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

crispix posted:

loooooooooool @ leo invoking his inner larry david

first time i've ever felt an ounce of respect for the shitter

Would have had more respect if he'd taken the "why are you booing me, I'm right" approach to apologizing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol they are riding this eviction ban fight right down to the last moment. I've a storage place booked and all my stuff in boxes waiting to go to me mam's as I type

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least the Greens pushing "being in government is about compromise!" on social media are getting questioned on what concessions they received in return and if they've considered just not being in government instead.

They are not reacting well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Lol they are riding this eviction ban fight right down to the last moment. I've a storage place booked and all my stuff in boxes waiting to go to me mam's as I type

That fucken sucks man. Bad government

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It was very funny with the UK libdems talking about how in exchange for the plastic bag tax they signed off on the most crippling benefits cut in recent memory

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Failed Imagineer posted:

That fucken sucks man. Bad government

It sucks poo poo, we could keep up with our rent as is easily but we are completely priced out of the entire local area rentwise, and go figure, this rent bubble about to burst has everyone's LL looking to sell, ours included. I'd have to move pretty far south and quit my job to keep up, completely unsustainable. On the other hand we tried to apply for a mortgage instead and... uh if you''ve read any of my other posts on the forums you'll know it lead to me discovering my boss is COMPLETELY INSANE. So I'm trying to move apartment AND job at the same time it RULES.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

It sucks poo poo, we could keep up with our rent as is easily but we are completely priced out of the entire local area rentwise, and go figure, this rent bubble about to burst has everyone's LL looking to sell, ours included. I'd have to move pretty far south and quit my job to keep up, completely unsustainable. On the other hand we tried to apply for a mortgage instead and... uh if you''ve read any of my other posts on the forums you'll know it lead to me discovering my boss is COMPLETELY INSANE. So I'm trying to move apartment AND job at the same time it RULES.

I'll take a thread link to hosed up boss stories pls

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'll take a thread link to hosed up boss stories pls

Goon Piercing Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460586&userid=84791&perpage=40&pagenumber=5
(initial covid-era weirdness and me being made manager is about half way down the page) My posting itt is kinda sad tbh

Dumb poo poo your Work does:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957387&userid=84791
(real dirt here)

The second I'm out of here she's getting reported to everyone I can think of, including the loving RTB

E: this isn't even all of the stories, she manages to say or do something totally insane about once a day, I was thinking of making an E/N thread or something once I actually have another job.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 22, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a subforum of PYF which is PMF, where you can make a thread where only you can post in it, if you are just wanting to yell into the aether.

E: your boss sounds like an absolute lunatic and frankly you are doing very well to not chop her into little bits and put her in the bin tbh. I have no idea how someone that useless apparently owns a business.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like he found a better option than brazening his way through it:
https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1638257928405655552

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Saw someone make the point, that's it's no surprise Leo isn't afforded privacy in gay clubs, when politically he always chooses to be on the side opposing LGBTQ people.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah, coming out as a landlord and a transphobe all in the same month

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
What I find interesting is it says they'll be put in XYZ prison "if they're found to have broken the law." Which means if a trans person is on remand for something the old system is in place. This is probably because if a trans person was locked up, put in the wrong prison, and subsequently found innocent they'd have a case against the state for not respecting their rights. Whereas if you're found guilty of something and been given a custodial there's a default assumption that you lose some of your rights. It's basically an admittal that trans people's personhood is only respected so far, and that doesn't include in the case they commit a crime. Trans people's rights aren't rrights, they're conditional.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
quote is not edit

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
drat synthetic people committing crimes! :awesomelon:

I can't wait to see FG get kicked out next election.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mrenda posted:

What I find interesting is it says they'll be put in XYZ prison "if they're found to have broken the law." Which means if a trans person is on remand for something the old system is in place. This is probably because if a trans person was locked up, put in the wrong prison, and subsequently found innocent they'd have a case against the state for not respecting their rights. Whereas if you're found guilty of something and been given a custodial there's a default assumption that you lose some of your rights. It's basically an admittal that trans people's personhood is only respected so far, and that doesn't include in the case they commit a crime. Trans people's rights aren't rrights, they're conditional.
I feel like he's trying to split the hair between "jail" and "prison" which is meaningless to most of us, but does actually matter to the courts... in the USA.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1638652160383635457?s=20

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
http://trinitynews.ie/2023/03/eamon-ryan-forced-to-use-emergency-exit-as-pwo-protest-outside-lecture-theatre/

Ryan was hit by two protests today while he was giving a talk at Trinity. First students within the lecture protested his shambolic climate policy which has lead to Ireland having the highest emissions growth in the EU.

Then he was hit by a group of PhD students protesting his parties support of the ending the eviction ban which will hit low paid workers, like PhD students, the hardest.

He was forced to leave through the emergency exit to avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/BrigidLaffan/status/1639336202892455936

This lady has written a bunch of opinion pieces calling Catherine Connolly a Putinist, calling for us to abandon our neutrality and push for more European involvement in the Ukraine war. And now she's praising an actual fascist who shares her beliefs. Even the account she's sharing is using the anti-russian slur 'orcs'.

Didn't take long for all these anti-peace liberals to out themselves as blood thirsty fascists.