Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:dudsmile:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I listen to a lot of Mearsheimer. One of the surprising thing he dashed out casually deep into his talks is that he grew up in a very left leaning academia background and ideologically pretty anti imperialistic himself.

I think the western mainstream can not accept Realism as a valid school in international affair study is that you don't include moral superiority in the calculation. You always consider you and your rival compete in the equal race track and you can't add your superior liberal values handicapped points to help your game.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ranter posted:

In terms of feeling safe from the government, or picking a country to raise my children in while imagining what that country might look like by 2040 or 2050, America by a country mile.

This quote is from which Farcry game?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wtf does America even have to offer anyone? They don't control a trade bloc anymore, they can't win any military engagements, why would anyone want to side with them? Maybe the threat of invasion itself is enough?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wtf does America even have to offer anyone? They don't control a trade bloc anymore, they can't win any military engagements, why would anyone want to side with them? Maybe the threat of invasion itself is enough?

excuse me have you heard about the american vassals called "the international community"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The difference is that only one of these countries' governments will permit you to publish a book, a newspaper article or even a Twitter post about its historical and ongoing atrocities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

why would anyone want to side with them?

you have to argue with fewer people

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Ranter posted:

The difference is that only one of these countries' governments will permit you to publish a book, a newspaper article or even a Twitter post about its historical and ongoing atrocities.

Then why did the Philly PD come to my home, tie me to my dinner table, and spank my rear end raw last time I spoke truth to power about my favorite local politicians?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ranter posted:

it’s not gonna work twice in a row buddy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ranter posted:

Lol, I hope you are a literal child

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

fart simpson posted:

are you sure about that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

fart simpson posted:

wong!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

fart simpson posted:

:wrong:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/notfcknsoryu/status/1638303854893891584?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

[Asia/Oceania] Once it's opened you'll know what cyberbullying really means

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Ranter posted:

In terms of feeling safe from the government, or picking a country to raise my children in while imagining what that country might look like by 2040 or 2050, America by a country mile.

nvm ...

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Mar 22, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1638272056197513217
https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1638272116457095168
https://twitter.com/pretentiouswhat/status/1638272133808918528

China does coal better than the US does coal.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

future nobel peace prize winner Xi Jinping (photo from last year)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/maria_drutska/status/1638115360938291201?s=20

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what industry will rebuild those naval losses?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tankbuster posted:

what industry will rebuild those naval losses?

the consent one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

we need to elect trump again so they can bond over this

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you're an American your contingency plan for a US-China war should involve peaceful, legal protests involving the electrical grid and other parts of key infrastructure.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we need to elect trump again so they can bond over this

trump almost gave kim jong un a ride to Pyongyang airport in Air Force 1. robbed of another great moment in diplomacy.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bedpan posted:

trump almost gave kim jong un a ride to Pyongyang airport in Air Force 1. robbed of another great moment in diplomacy.

his desire to be swag and impress people overrides all the traditions of the bipartisan consensus on foreign policy. him talking to Xi about how good KFC is might be our country's only shot at avoiding WW3.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials,

If the Chinese economy dies, the entire world economy dies

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I thought american brands had to leave russia wtf. did they fly these in?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

KomradeX posted:

If the Chinese economy dies, the entire world economy dies

china is already 1/5 of "the world" anyway

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there are more shanghai residents than Australians

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

I thought american brands had to leave russia wtf. did they fly these in?

yea people are saying this is really messed/hosed up actually.

quote:

KFC is among the franchises that pulled out of Russia over its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. The owner, fast-food conglomerate Yum! Brands, sold its restaurants to a Russian operator, which is supposed to have rebranded them under the name Rostic's.

Insider contacted Yum! Brands to ask about this delivery, but did not immediately receive a response.

But, according to the footage, the old branding is still being used, including the Colonel Sanders logo that was clearly visible on the takeout bags.

Some commentators were amused that China's officials, who have blamed the US for an array of global problems, may have chosen a US fast-food outlet while visiting Russia, another American rival.
https://www.businessinsider.com/video-huge-kfc-delivery-to-xi-hotel-in-russia-despite-rebrand-2023-
unbelievable

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

the greatest of capitalist offenses -- copyright infringement

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how this line of thought is literally inconceivable to most westerners

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ranter posted:

all 3 of those are about the same in terms of effect

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
EU/CK popup: Your Country is committing an Atrocity. What will you do?

>write a book
>write a newspaper article
>write a twitter post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Eminent DNS posted:

the greatest of capitalist offenses -- copyright infringement

Chinese evils, ranked

1. tried to keep their people from getting covid
2. stopped trying to keep their people from getting covid
3. copyright infringement
4. social credit system. god, imagine if your quality of life was determined by a number
5. hitler stuff in xinjang (s/p?) (optional)