Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Would alex pivot to saying that al capone was actually a hero fighting the unjust government if he went to jail for tax evasion

Seeing as he would get out and go right back to the radio podcast grift

Whatever happened to the good old days like kevin mitnick being court ordered to never use a computer again? Make alex never be able to broadcast again.

Or never be allowed to drink again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the minimum someone could do during a civil case that would get them tossed in the hoosegow? They obviously would arrest you if you did something that's a no-poo poo dangerous crime in the courthouse, but there must be something besides that.

No reason, I'm just vaguely curious.
As a basic rule, if you do something that really undermines the court's authority or dignity, or create a situation where you must have compliance, then you'll get a "toothbrush hearing" where you're asked to show cause (to not get thrown in jail with said toothbrush). Recently one of those crazy 2020 election conspiracy groups claimed to have gotten evidence of widespread fraud -- by "hacking" a get out the vote organization (I believe) and downloading damning evidence. That group naturally sued and demanded to know who hacked them and how. The court agreed and held a hearing where they were advised to either bring that info or a toothbrush. They picked the latter and were held for a while. Every situation that begs for some jail time differs, there's a bit of a "you'll know it when you see it" standard going on.

But typically this happens after a trial and it's part of the enforcement of various aspects of the judgment.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Edgeworth knows his laws

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Was there a knowledge fight episode that covered the day it became apparent the jones team turned over all the texts etc?

I only recently started listening to them and wondered

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the minimum someone could do during a civil case that would get them tossed in the hoosegow? They obviously would arrest you if you did something that's a no-poo poo dangerous crime in the courthouse, but there must be something besides that.

No reason, I'm just vaguely curious.

Comtempt Of Court is the main one I'm aware of.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kw0134 posted:

As a basic rule, if you do something that really undermines the court's authority or dignity, or create a situation where you must have compliance, then you'll get a "toothbrush hearing" where you're asked to show cause (to not get thrown in jail with said toothbrush). Recently one of those crazy 2020 election conspiracy groups claimed to have gotten evidence of widespread fraud -- by "hacking" a get out the vote organization (I believe) and downloading damning evidence. That group naturally sued and demanded to know who hacked them and how. The court agreed and held a hearing where they were advised to either bring that info or a toothbrush. They picked the latter and were held for a while. Every situation that begs for some jail time differs, there's a bit of a "you'll know it when you see it" standard going on.

But typically this happens after a trial and it's part of the enforcement of various aspects of the judgment.

Thanks, that’s really cool to know.

God I hope Alex gets one, because you know exactly how that would go.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ZeusCannon posted:

Was there a knowledge fight episode that covered the day it became apparent the jones team turned over all the texts etc?

Yes.

I don't remember which one it is off the top of my head, I'll edit it in later

It should be in #712, which also features the Cantina intro song and guests Mark Bankston and Bill Ogden

/e: I listened to #712 and it didn't cover it, so it's probably in #714/715 that recap Jones on the stand

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 21, 2023

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I just read an article that kept referring to him as Alexander and the disrespect is palpable.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

rotinaj posted:

Would alex pivot to saying that al capone was actually a hero fighting the unjust government if he went to jail for tax evasion

Seeing as he would get out and go right back to the radio podcast grift

Whatever happened to the good old days like kevin mitnick being court ordered to never use a computer again? Make alex never be able to broadcast again.

Or never be allowed to drink again.

Kevin Mitnick now runs a corpo-friendly network security consultation firm that create quarterly videos for lazy/incompetent netsoc managers to mandate employees watch. Imagine network security tutorials reduced to insipid McDonalds new hire training videos, and that's what Mitnick is up to these days.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Alexander Jones is a jackass and deserves whatever cums in him

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thanks, that’s really cool to know.

God I hope Alex gets one, because you know exactly how that would go.

I think Jones is past the part where he's really risking contempt of court, but it's disappointing that he and his attorneys didn't get slapped with perjury. It's good that perjury is rare, but pathological liars who are constantly undermining the judicial process through their dishonesty is the exact situation where the charges needed to be brought out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When confronted on the stand, a lot of people end up perjuring themselves. Jones is definitely not unique in that regard, and maybe rightly or wrongly, but when it's a civil case and most fact finders go :nallears: to obviously false testimony as the witness is flopsweating on the stand, it's usually felt that they are in fact getting what's coming for them. Jones got no benefit whatsoever from his antics, and I think part of the calculation is to make sure that no conduct by the trial court becomes an appealable issue when the verdict is so very much not in his favor.

At least Pattis got slapped in Connecticut, but Reynal not being disciplined is bullshit as hell; the Texas bar is such a joke.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Judge Judy taught me to always tell the truth, stop trying to make up a story as you stand by the podium

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Treecko posted:

Judge Judy taught me to always tell the truth, stop trying to make up a story as you stand by the podium

Make it up beforehand, damnit! :colbert:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ZeusCannon posted:

Update: #714, a bit after 01:46:00 is when the text with PJW gets introduced (and Jones initially tries reading it upside down), ~01:54:00 for the moment

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Treecko posted:

I learnt you should always just try and pin the crime on the judge. Just straight up through them under the bus. They love it!

Even better if they are actually the guilty party. So yeah go out and commit a lot of crimes with a lot of judges. It makes for fun time and great TV!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

dr_rat posted:

I learnt you should always just try and pin the crime on the judge. Just straight up through them under the bus. They love it!

Has this ever happened? Like a judge turns out to be apparently guilty of the crime on trial?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Outrail posted:

Has this ever happened? Like a judge turns out to be apparently guilty of the crime on trial?

I don't know if that exact thing has happened, but there have been numerous cases where a judge took bribes to ensure the trial was decided a certain way. Actually one of the (possibly only?) times double jeopardy was overruled was in a case where it was found that this had happened; I think it went to the Supreme Court who ultimately decided double jeopardy wasn't applicable. I think there was the added wrinkle of the defendant themselves not being privy to the backroom deals, like the defendant's parents did it or something, but that was probably just an added dramatization from the Law & Order episode based on the case.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1638387981093601280

Christ, Alexander is a freak

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Christ what a stubborn rear end in a top hat

Why is he so red dudes heart looks like it's about to explode

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Stop wiping it and hold the pressure moron

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Treecko posted:

liquor and liver failure

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

UCS Hellmaker posted:

liquor and liver failure

I'm honestly waiting for him to keel over like Andrew Breitbart. FFS he's almost 50 and he looks like that.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The problem with a minimum wage is that no matter how high you raise it, they're going to raise the prices of everything to match; who cares if you're earning $5000 a month if your cost of living is $4999?

A government capable of raising the minimum wage should also be capable of preventing companies/ landlords from doing that. It's all interconnected.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mojo1701a posted:

I'm honestly waiting for him to keel over like Andrew Breitbart. FFS he's almost 50 and he looks like that.
That's how old he is? Wow, I'm doing great apparently.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

cat botherer posted:

He’s professionally angry, before you even add in the piles of coke and alcohol. That’ll age a man fast.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cat botherer posted:

Wil Wheaton of Star Trek is two years older than Alex Jones.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Icon Of Sin posted:

He’s professionally angry, before you even add in the piles of coke and alcohol. That’ll age a man fast.

Has he actually done coke? I know he's a hardcore alcoholic.

If he hasn't, that's about the only difference between him and Andy Breitbart.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Treecko posted:

He’s really fat hth

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

duz posted:

Wil Wheaton of Star Trek is two years older than Alex Jones.

Holy poo poo!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/MoString/status/1640413916374380544

Ooh snap. Alexander got caught attempting to hide cash.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Borscht posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoString/status/1640413916374380544

Ooh snap. Alexander got caught attempting to hide cash.

I'm sure the slap on the wrist will be all the larger as a result

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

:eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1640420515050340359?s=20

Deeply Concerned.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm sure this time he will have learned his lesson.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So at what time does a judge get pissed enough to just through him in jail.

The guys basically an perpetual motion machine of contempt of court.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I honestly think Alex landing in jail because of him loving around with bankruptcy (on top of everything else) is actually plausible.

everyone knows you don't gently caress around with the money.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jones loving around with the bankruptcy court inevitably means that it'll work overtime to find where all the cash is and disbelieve all his various defenses, including his transparent "I owe money to this guy who might be my dad, who can say" fraudulent transfers. The funny thing is that usually the death penalty for bankruptcy court is dismissal of the petitioner's case, but the plaintiffs probably want him to stay right where he is so they can use the power of that court to shake down everyone he knows, might have known, could possibly have known, or passed in the night that one time for money. Normally you might go back to court to start compelling various people or entities for the cash Jones was trying to hide, but it's all here and they're all pissed at him.

If Jones' antics actually worked, he'd not be sitting on multiple billion dollar judgments with people angry at him who can actually track down every single dime he owns or might have owned. I know people are braying for his blood because he's an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, but that's not how civil cases work, and he's not gaining any actual advantage from his stupidity.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Is the Driver mentioned above yet another new lawyer for Jones or has she been around before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Driver is a relative newcomer to the process, largely because his preferred bankruptcy attorneys kept getting caught redhanded doing really loving stupid things like, like filing bad faith corporate bankruptcies in self-admitted attempts to trip up another legal proceeding.