Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

If the player's Honor is high and they have completed the aforementioned stranger mission "Of Men and Angels", then Sister Calderón will appear in the mission "The Fine Art of Conversation" at the train station, in place of Reverend Swanson.

This is a lie. I specifically avoided that quest to get Swanson and I still got the nun. All I did for her was the mission where you get the cruc8ifix back. I guess that's the real trigger.

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
An amusing video in the style of Garfield Minus Garfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqN7rhHLnDM

Here's a high/low honor comparison for the scene where Arthur talks to Dutch about letting John and his family leave the gang. He says nearly the same thing in both scenes but high honor Arthur sounds a little more desperate and low honor Arthur plays it coolly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co5KMEwATnk

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 14, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arthur didn't have ready access to a shower so he had to come up with these elaborate scenarios/winning arguments in his head out in the open.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A second playthrough has given me a bit more objectivity, I feel like. I remember distinctly in my first run I asked my GF "how can Bill and Javier side with Dutch!?" She just told me "well, they had their reasons. Good ones that made sense to them." But I see a lot of folk echo my sentiment. We do basically roleplay as Arthur and come away feeling like his position is the only legitimate one.

But even if he's right, that doesn't make the others stupid. I'm seeing how, honestly, Arthur and John really didn't help the situation a lot of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sajb457zUbw

I got this camp convo last night. Never seen it before. It really stuck out to me because one of the best campfire talks in he game is when Javier talks about how he can never go back to Mexico. He has no homeland, he has no family, except the gang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-UiMwl4qP4&t=84s

John blustering "who are they" really was just being an arrogant SOB like Javier said. Does he have his reasons to be angry? Sure. Does Javier have his reasons to be loyal to the gang and Dutch, the man who saved his life multiple times, one time no more than a week or two ago? Absolutely.

Micah is the only winner out of all of this misery and division, the only person clearly in the wrong.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, everyone else is dead or has some link or possible future back in the "legitimate" world, or at least one outside the gang. John's family has each other; Sadie and Charles haven't been with the gang long enough to grow dependent on them; Uncle is the ultimate life form capable of adapting to any situation.

I can't imagine Arthur ever siding with Dutch and Micah. Still, he's in a similar situation to Javier and Bill, where there's really no future "outside the gang" for them, and in that way, he's empowered by tuberculosis -- there's no future for him anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

From what I hear, we see what happens to Bill without the gang in RDR1. Poor, poor Bill. He really is, apart from the Big Three, the most complex and tragic character in the games for me. Then again, I hear neither he nor Javier have an ounce of the charisma they'd gain in 2 so I dunno.

Found this on Reddit, figured I'd share it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILR3hc4qcR8

I know some people feel a scene with no music makes it "more serious" or something, but gently caress that. Music is magic and makes everything better.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

NikkolasKing posted:

I know some people feel a scene with no music makes it "more serious" or something

This is genuinely insane, wtf :psyduck:

Music or scoring can absolutely make or break a scene in any medium - film, tv, games

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My favorite Dutch plan is to rob the loving trolley station on the advice of The Most Untrustworthy Guy. Was laughing a lot when they get into the trolley station and unsurprisingly do not find much money, because it's a loving trolley station, where people literally pay pocket change to ride.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U9vOm_Sqmc

Another convo I've never seen before. i think I just...avoided camp in Chapter 6 in my first run. Too depressing. But it's nice of the game to dedicate a whole scene to what I've been saying. Micah is the only person loving this poo poo. I've had a million Dutch conversations and arguments and whenever somebody says Dutch is worse than Micah, well, I have a billion counterarguments, but their behavior in Chapter 6 being worlds apart is very telling. Dutch is as scared and miserable as everybody else.

So we get Micah in scenes like the one above, while there are multiple scenes dedicated to Dutch having breakdowns. I vividly remember this one from my first run. I got it right away at the start of the chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fva0UHbhD_k

I also remember my GF pointing out to me how Arthur tells Charles at the end of Chapter 2 that "Dutch would never just hide out in some cave as it goes against everything he believes in." Then in this camp he has his tent right before a cave and, as seen in the above vid, retreats into it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing that always got me is that dutch always seemed like he wanted a wealthy, fancy, rich person life, but the only time you ever see dutch living somewhere with a roof on it is at shady belle.

I wonder if there should have been a period of dutch and the gang living in a hotel for at least a little while, enjoying the good life, so then they could be upset about losing it when they wind up in beaver hollow.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

One thing that always got me is that dutch always seemed like he wanted a wealthy, fancy, rich person life, but the only time you ever see dutch living somewhere with a roof on it is at shady belle.

I wonder if there should have been a period of dutch and the gang living in a hotel for at least a little while, enjoying the good life, so then they could be upset about losing it when they wind up in beaver hollow.

I really liked the conversations you hear with Jack after he's rescued, where the gang seem almost baffled by how well he was living, and try to play it down to him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

rotinaj posted:

Dutch likes to play pretend, not only as a warrior-philosopher type, but also as a rich guy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

webmeister posted:

This is genuinely insane, wtf :psyduck:

Music or scoring can absolutely make or break a scene in any medium - film, tv, games

Well at least one person said the addition of music to the scene made it melodramatic. I find people generally don't like scenes with no music having music added.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The factory still hurts, even to me, the biggest Dutch fanboy ever.

But let's be clear on something. Before the factory, before Abigail, before any of the gang leaves, Arthur tells John to steal the gang's savings. I'm pretty sure that counts as traitorous behavior. It's not even just Dutch he'd be ripping off, he'd be stealing from Pearson and Mary-Beth too if they hadn't left in the future he obviously could not predict.

Why did he even bother "insisting" to Dutch to let the others leave? Let's say Dutch said "go with my blessings." Would he remain so generous after they all left...and stole the gang's money while doing so? If anything, the fact Swanson and the rest had left without incident proves John and co. probably could have left, too. But stealing the gang's money while also leaving?

Bad plans run in the family.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 16, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Gyg2PUZv0&t=267s

I tried to go through with it, I truly did, but I still went with John and just looked this up. What a weird ending.

Dutch isn't even aggressive in this one, he just wanders over and speaks in a feeble voice like a senile grandpa begging the toddlers to stop fighting.

I do like Arthur's "HIIIIIIIIIMMMMMM!!!!!" though. It fits with his last journal entry in an evens stronger way than than the John ending

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Started playing RDR2 a couple months ago when it was on sale for Christmas on Steam. I just landed in Guarma and I hate it.

Anyways, there's a piece of ambient horse-riding music I've been trying to find online just to listen to it outside of the game and I can't find it anywhere. I don't even know where to start with what the name of piece of music could even be. There seems to be maybe 5 or 6 pieces of music that play when you're just exploring open-world on your horse, but the one piece I want seems to be the only one that won't come up on YouTube or even on the game's general soundtrack on iTunes. Anyone know where I can find all the game's music anywhere online?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Frustratingly Rockstar doesn't really name their ambient tracks, including the Wanted music one of which I've desired to have for ever so I feel your pain. There's seriously 20 Wanted tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHarqfHa-mLYEzD3kgZbbOafViEM-8Mkb

You may have luck with this playlist? It's got all kind of undocumented one off tracks from the missions/free-roam. "RDR2 unofficial" or "undocumented" is good google-fu I've found.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Yeah I looked through that playlist (well through the first handful of videos anyway), it seems like it's more remixes rather than straight game-rips of tracks. I'll continue checking through the rest of it though. Thanks!

Also I didn't realise there's only 2 missions in Guarma and that doing Dutch's mission at the cave entrance basically cancels out any plans for further exploration of the island. There goes my chance to find a red-footed booby. I wish I'd know before starting the mission since I would've created a save file beforehand.

Aaaaand I just got to A Fork In The Road :smith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Yeah I looked through that playlist (well through the first handful of videos anyway), it seems like it's more remixes rather than straight game-rips of tracks. I'll continue checking through the rest of it though. Thanks!

Also I didn't realise there's only 2 missions in Guarma and that doing Dutch's mission at the cave entrance basically cancels out any plans for further exploration of the island. There goes my chance to find a red-footed booby. I wish I'd know before starting the mission since I would've created a save file beforehand.

Aaaaand I just got to A Fork In The Road :smith:

I dunno all the details but Guarma was supposed to be a lot bigger. Apparently they got their time cut and the end product, while still one of the best games ever, is missing much.

As for that mission you just did...well, I can't say things will get better. Although there are still a lot of good things.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I basically haven't progressed in this play through because I can't decide if I want to be evil. It would be so freeing, but there are practical advantages to being good all the time.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

I basically haven't progressed in this play through because I can't decide if I want to be evil. It would be so freeing, but there are practical advantages to being good all the time.

Yeah I think once I finish this play through I’ll take a break from the game then come back and be super evil. I’m gonna antagonise everyone in camp, be a shithead to people on the streets, scold cats and dogs, steal from the homeless, rob everyone I encounter. I may go mad.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Inspector Hound posted:

FWIW there are so many high honor thing in the end portion of the game you can basically be evil incarnate and as long as you say howdy a bunch, let some fish go, and then do the high honor stuff in the later chapters you will be fine for the ending.

AS for actually making the low honor choices for various missions and whatnot, that is another story and i also have never done it lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I think once I finish this play through I’ll take a break from the game then come back and be super evil. I’m gonna antagonise everyone in camp, be a shithead to people on the streets, scold cats and dogs, steal from the homeless, rob everyone I encounter. I may go mad.

Enjoy the 3 minutes you can stand that before immediately feeling bad about the sad or upset NPCs and becoming a good guy again!

That's.... not just me who does that, right? :shobon:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Enjoy the 3 minutes you can stand that before immediately feeling bad about the sad or upset NPCs and becoming a good guy again!

That's.... not just me who does that, right? :shobon:

nah, my finger goes straight for that "defuse" button the moment it's lit up

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Ainsley McTree posted:

nah, my finger goes straight for that "defuse" button the moment it's lit up

It lit up for me last night when I yelled at Micah. Ignored it because gently caress Micah.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It lit up for me last night when I yelled at Micah. Ignored it because gently caress Micah.

there are exceptions to every rule of course

eugenicists, etc, get the same treatment, but i suppose you shouldn't describe antagonizing them as low honor activities

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the eugenicist and the KKK get hosed up every time, and gently caress Micah, but the game actively wants you to feel that way as a good person!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do appreciate how they made the KKK in the woods encounter end with them killing themselves through idiocy even if you sit there and do nothing. there is no scenario in which they survive without at least getting shot at first, you love to see it

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Killing klansmen awards high honor; I maxed mine for the first time by lobbing dynamite at them while they raised a cross

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s fun to heckle people until they run away then chase them on horseback heckling them still

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Managed to achieve 100% high honour in the last hour or so. Good poo poo.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do appreciate how they made the KKK in the woods encounter end with them killing themselves through idiocy even if you sit there and do nothing. there is no scenario in which they survive without at least getting shot at first, you love to see it

I was shocked at the immense catharsis I felt coming across a bunch of klansmen burning a cross in the woods and just straight up murdering the lot of them. Something about the current times, I guess.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Osmosisch posted:

I was shocked at the immense catharsis I felt coming across a bunch of klansmen burning a cross in the woods and just straight up murdering the lot of them. Something about the current times, I guess.

It ain't murder when it's the KKK

it's pest control

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Managed to achieve 100% high honour in the last hour or so. Good poo poo.

Petting Dogs and Tipping Hats: The Arthur Morgan Story.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Turns out just standing on a street corner in Saint Denis and saying hello to every person that passes me makes me look honourable and not insane.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I read this in Morgan Freeman's voice.

As it should be.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jerusalem posted:

Thread title, I beg you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
that's a beautiful horse

how long you two been married?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Turns out just standing on a street corner in Saint Denis and saying hello to every person that passes me makes me look honourable and not insane.