Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Really like the lost cities world gen in Nomifactory CEu, gives it a 7 days to die feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I still need to manually pipe in some Manyullun and Rose Gold (Foundry, not Smeltery, so no automatic alloying) in order to complete the look, but I just finished a proper fully-automated ore-doubling(ish) gay-agenda setup.

:toot: :gaysper: :gaysper: :gaysper: :toot:

FTB Sluice setup automatically sifting out ore chunks, which are compressed into ore clusters, piped through an Occultism Tier 3 Dimensional Storage Actuator to dump all the generated ores into the Foundry, then auto-casting into blocks through filtered scorched ducts back into the Dimensional Storage Actuator as all the various blocks of metals. I will never need materials again in this world until I move on to the next tier in the tech tree and need to build a secondary smeltery for alloying hepatizon/manyullun/rose gold/constantan/bronze/invar/energized glowstone/enderite/etc...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rynoto posted:

NomiCEU is just at that level of grind that you might as well go full GTNH for all the other stuff.

I'd be worried about going back to 1.7.10 even if they did port a bunch of stuff back from the more recent version.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
give it a shot. it feels modern to the point that it has some functionality that i don't see in recent modpacks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The only real downside to 1.7.10 is Thaumcraft 4 research. God I hate TC4 research so much. There's only so much comfort in the fact that scanning all the GT stuff gives you infinite instrumentum, fabrico and ordo to chain in the minigame.

That, and the pack doesn't make magic explicitly required until the very, very endgame if you can be bothered to get that far.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

this new version of vault hunters is actually pretty good, I'm getting good vault loot from the completion crates from vault 1 and because you get weapons too you're not too bogged down with the lovely MC combat.

I can see me playing a fair bit of this tbh

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The only real downside to 1.7.10 is Thaumcraft 4 research. God I hate TC4 research so much. There's only so much comfort in the fact that scanning all the GT stuff gives you infinite instrumentum, fabrico and ordo to chain in the minigame.

That, and the pack doesn't make magic explicitly required until the very, very endgame if you can be bothered to get that far.
I just set easy-research enabled in the cfg, like in blightfall, I'm not sitting for hours with the book or with on online calc like https://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/ it's just not fun and doesn't add anything to the game for me. Having to shove crafting tables into the deconstructor and clicking them once every 2 seconds for 15 mins because I ran out of points is not my idea of a good time either but I did that for a bit as well, I'm just not willing to "lose" points messing around with the tiles trying to remember what makes what.

At least you can mouse over stuff with the thaumometer in your inventory, I don't remember that being a thing the first time through and it's a nice QoL change. Shame it doesn't work with applied energistics.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 19, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AceClown posted:

this new version of vault hunters is actually pretty good, I'm getting good vault loot from the completion crates from vault 1 and because you get weapons too you're not too bogged down with the lovely MC combat.

I can see me playing a fair bit of this tbh

The last update was good but the whole idea of VH runs contrary to what I like in MC. It's focused on combat and looting random drops from chests, which are some of the worst parts of MC and gates all the poo poo I love behind dozens of hours of grinding. I play Minecraft so I can build poo poo that lets me build other poo poo so I can build more poo poo then I forget what I was trying to build originally.

It's OK, it's just not what I want from Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sometimes I wonder what the world would look like if Minecraft had good combat but I just don't have the mind to imagine it. Probably we'd have world peace.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who loves the cool puzzle minigame of TC4 research and hates the gatcha-game nature of TC6's. I honestly feel like TC6 is a massive downgrade from TC4 in general, but that's partially because TC4 has had so many submods made for it that it encompasses a ridiculous amount of content. But making even basic essentia distillation create flux that can potentially generate rifts in your base is also something I absolutely hate to death.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RocketMermaid posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who loves the cool puzzle minigame of TC4 research and hates the gatcha-game nature of TC6's. I honestly feel like TC6 is a massive downgrade from TC4 in general, but that's partially because TC4 has had so many submods made for it that it encompasses a ridiculous amount of content. But making even basic essentia distillation create flux that can potentially generate rifts in your base is also something I absolutely hate to death.

I didn't like TC6's research either. The seldom-played TC5 for MC 1.8, though, that's where research was done properly. It was exactly like TC4, but instead of a global, exhaustible pool of research points, each research paper has its own separate pool. If you screwed it up? Just throw away the paper and make a new one.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dipped back into GTNH after a ~6 month hiatus and installed the newest version. Loving the quest changes and the new trees for things like nuke setups, plus all the optional quest steps.

i lost enthusiasm last time i was playing around the start of IV (have some of the GT++ multiblocks, a fair amount of ae2 autocrafting, and can generate a bit over an amp of IV power indefinitely) when i realized just how cramped my base was and how i had kinda built myself into a corner and i'd really be better off moving my base to the void dimension. felt way too daunted by the task of building an entire base from scratch and rebuilding all my subsystems. watching the last six months of threefold's progress has reinvigorated my enthusiasm so i'm currently migrating to the void, starting with a fluid nuke setup with dual HP and regular steam turbines running large vibrant rotors. i'm still poo poo at building cosmetically and future proofing, but I have the minimum cobbled together so far... :sweatdrop:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I restarted my GTNH world for the 2.3 update and I just hit LV. I'm in love with the new convenience of having programmable circuits be super easy to modify, and single block machines now having a ghost circuit you can just specify the configuration for without even needing the physical circuit. It says there are reasons to have the physical circuit later, but I'll worry about that when I come to it. I also got really lucky with an LV lootbag and got a free LV Macerator out of one. A nice little bonus for me.

Hooplah posted:

dipped back into GTNH after a ~6 month hiatus and installed the newest version. Loving the quest changes and the new trees for things like nuke setups, plus all the optional quest steps.

Optional quest steps are also such a huge timesaver, especially for those moments where you're crafting through steps and forget to add a component to your inventory long enough for it to be detected by the questbook. The quality of life features added in this patch have been great.

vvv edit: Ah I didn't know that since I skipped playing on 2.2. Either way, it's a lot more friendly to play now.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2023

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The optional quest portions and the ghost circuits were actually added some time in 2.2,though I think the optional portions of quests was expanded in 2.3

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You're all wrong, the best thing is having to collect all 4 stacks of copper bars before you craft it into anything or the quest locks you out

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

You're all wrong, the best thing is having to collect all 4 stacks of copper bars before you craft it into anything or the quest locks you out

Didn't they fix that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

They even made the dastardly carrot quest optional. No joke, that quest made a goon I knew give up on the pack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Didn't they fix that?
No, I mean in general, across all quest-based modpacks. I love it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They even made the dastardly carrot quest optional. No joke, that quest made a goon I knew give up on the pack.

Which one is that? I'm guessing it's in a tier higher than I've gotten to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Which one is that? I'm guessing it's in a tier higher than I've gotten to.

It's a quest in the very first chapter. The quest to make a bed used to be gated behind a quest to grow 10 carrots.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gosh I must've blasted past that one this time without even thinking about it!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just spent two hours trying to troubleshoot why my Flux network's internal buffer for storage keeps randomly disappearing. I'm only using up around 2-3K RF per tick between my flux points, but my flux controller was randomly dumping between 70k-80k RF into the void whenever the buffer could fill up. I just finished building a solar farm that should be pulling in over 20K RF per tick, so the fact that it was able to dump 70k in a single tick or two was really frustrating to deal with. How am I supposed to move on with my tech trees if I can't keep stable power? I replaced everything I can think of, turned on/off surge mode, turned on/off limits, adjusted priorities on everything, and it still just kept losing 70K RF randomly!

In completely unrelated news, my Industrial Foregoing Infinity Backpack leveled up to Legendary! :shepface: :shepicide:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So that backpack just acts like a massive battery, on top of everything else? Or is filling its internal energy capacity what upgrades it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How was it even charging up?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How was it even charging up?

Well if they’re running a flux network they might have it set to charge items in their inventory, so this would also be charging the backpack.

This is one reason why I typically avoid IF’s infinity tools even though I know I can just turn off their ability to charge.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

So that backpack just acts like a massive battery, on top of everything else? Or is filling its internal energy capacity what upgrades it?

It holds 24 item slots with each slots stack capacity going up with each tier, and the tiers upgrade by being charged with RF. The tiers are Poor, Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Legendary, and Artifact. The capacity does not let it act like a battery AFAIK, it just upgrades its stack capacity per item slot.

So my Flux network has been charging the backpack I use to hold stacks of cobble, netherrack, iron, (and other junk) enough to hold 1,000,000 stacks instead of 32 stacks.

On the bright side, the solar/wireless flux network works great when it's not trying to charge an item with a capacity of 9 quintillion RF!

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Ok, so i'm playing gregtech: new horizons, and I'm kind of stuck. I've set up a fluid nuke setup, but apparently it needs some redstone stuff to work properly. However, no one on the discord has responded to my request for a guide or picture of said setup. Can anyone help me?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

samcarsten posted:

Ok, so i'm playing gregtech: new horizons, and I'm kind of stuck. I've set up a fluid nuke setup, but apparently it needs some redstone stuff to work properly. However, no one on the discord has responded to my request for a guide or picture of said setup. Can anyone help me?

Here's what I used back in IV on my last map:

All that circuitry does is combine a bunch of AND gates for various runtime conditions that have to be checked. In order to run a fluid nuke, you need to ensure the following is true:

Test these with fluid detector covers on buffer tanks or input hatches.
* There is sufficient cold coolant banked. Running out of cold coolant will cause the reactors to heat up and explode.
* Hot coolant isn't overflowing from the reactors. If the reactor fills up with hot coolant, it won't be able to convert cold coolant to hot, which makes it dump the heat to the hull instead (and explode eventually.)
* There's a sufficient amount of distilled water available for the Large Heat Exchangers. Like every other boiler in the pack, adding water to a hot, dry boiler causes an explosion.

Test this with a NuclearControl heat monitor. (I forget the name of the block.)
* The reactor's hull heat isn't above a certain threshold. I think I used 2000? I don't remember what the thresholds are off hand.

Test this off of your LSC.
* The power storage device (read: Lapotronic Super Capacitor, accept no substitutes) has room available, or is on a charge cycle. That's not actually pictured in this screenshot, but it's a bog standard RS Latch + energy detector setup that everyone's used a thousand times in other packs. Using the RS Latch setup allows for your turbines to run continuously for periods of time instead of stuttering on and off when the LSC is at full power.

Then finally:
* A lever is flipped on. Always have a way to turn it off yourself.

Combine all of these conditions together via AND gates and have the output of them all go to each reactor. I used ProjectRed cabling to make it relatively compact, and a ProjectRed custom IC chip to pack a bunch of the AND gates into a single chip instead of spamming them around. The custom IC is optional, and it was mostly me using a solution in search of a problem because I liked the idea of custom ICs.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

samcarsten posted:

I just set up my first fluid nuke in GTNH in the last few days so yeah definitely. I personally don't have any redstone logic in my system at all and it works just fine. i'm using the 800 HU setup from the wiki page with 8 4x thorium rods. the only thing you *really* need is a lever on the redstone control block of the nuke, and to make super sure you never run out of coolant (or distilled water for the LHE, which will start voiding hot coolant if it's not running. it'll also blow up if it runs out of water then receives water again, same as any steam boiler in gtnh). i just have a pair of tanks buffering a large amount of cold coolant and water near the respective machines' intakes. on the power gen end i'm using two pairs of HP/regular steam turbines with large vibrant rotors being massively overfed steam (~150% of optimal, producing a total of ~14.4k eu/t) I'll be upgrading my rotors to oriharukon and moving the nuke setup to the that 1100 HU one once it actually makes sense to produce more IV amps.

the one "clever" thing i haven't seen any youtubers doing with my setup is I have an ad hoc AE network set up that just consists of fluid p2ps linked to LHE output and the two HP turbine inputs. p2p splits outputs evenly, so if you regulate the LHE output for exactly double what each turbine wants (8k/t for me), you'll get perfect steam throughput without having to worry about GT pipes which only update every 10 ticks, which would require regulators on each input. I'm also using the higher throughput ender fluid conduits to link the HP turbine outputs to the regular turbine inputs for the same reason. if you try to just throw a pipe between them the regulars will never get the requisite steam per tick. more fluid p2ps would work here too, but i just thought the conduits would be cheaper. make sure you use ones with high enough throughput for steam! for me that's 4000L/t, so the crystalline ender conduits. you don't need the extract number, as the outputs push fluid, so just worry about the I/O number. Ostensibly you could also just stick the machines adjacent to each other so there's no I/O between them, but that looks gross imo

I'm happy to help as I went through some similar struggles wrapping my head around the finer details of this. ask questions as you have them

protip with this nuke setup is you can breed 8 glowstone rods into sunnarium at a time for free! bonus if you can somehow automate this AND the thorium rod replacement at the same time

e- motherfucker

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
yeah, i don't know how to do any of that. guess its time for experimentation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

samcarsten posted:

The pack asks you to be capable of simple redstone logic for some of its machines. The neutron accelerator for naqline in LuV, the dissolution tank in late IV/early LuV for samarium and other lanthanides, and fluid nukes all demand external orchestration like this. Not to mention all the nonsense you have to get up to for preventing multiblocks from voiding stuff. It's a skill you have to learn to progress.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It at least has blocks to do the logic in the first place instead of relying on you to spray dust on the ground in goofball legacy Minecraft redstone logic. I had to give it that, though I'm still butthurt about not being able to close the loop on distilled water through turbines since it would pile up and get vented no matter what size of stuff I was using.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 27, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It at least has blocks to do the logic in the first place instead of relying on you to spray dust on the ground in goofball legacy Minecraft redstone logic. I had to give it that, though I'm still butthurt about not being able to close the loop on distilled water through turbines since it would pile up and get vented no matter what size of stuff I was using.

yeah, the redstone control tools available in the pack are pretty good, and they've even gotten better recently with the addition of wireless transmitter/receiver covers! naturally they cost an EV sensor/emitter apiece though...

btw, i'm still curious why the hell you're voiding steam/distilled water. when i set mine up it was super obvious where the loss was coming from. I had very high throughput GT pipes between the HP and regular turbines, which completely fucks up the flow rate of steam from one to the other, as the steam builds up for 10 ticks then enters the pipe and hits the turbine intake all at once, instead of one tick at a time. is it possible your HP turbine output hatch wasn't big enough to hold half a second's worth of steam? with my setup it literally wouldn't matter which GT pipe i used, because i have a flow rate of 40kL/s and my output only holds 16kL. It voided 8kL/s of steam per HP turbine until i switched to the instantaneous throughput of enderio conduits.

once i switched over to conduits it literally doesn't lose any water outside of warmup.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

samcarsten posted:

i know it sucks that most learning of modded minecraft mechanics comes in the form of videos, but have you been watching threefold's playthrough of GTNH? he's doing a really, really high quality series right now, probably the best produced modpack playthrough i've ever seen, and he goes over in detail these sorts of designs all over the pack. highly recommended for all gtnh brainworms sufferers

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hooplah posted:

i know it sucks that most learning of modded minecraft mechanics comes in the form of videos, but have you been watching threefold's playthrough of GTNH? he's doing a really, really high quality series right now, probably the best produced modpack playthrough i've ever seen, and he goes over in detail these sorts of designs all over the pack. highly recommended for all gtnh brainworms sufferers
I loved his Nomifactory walkthrough, saw that he's doing GTNH now and it has me considering picking it up

Can GTNH be played on Peaceful or do you need enemy mobs for progression?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Shipon posted:

I loved his Nomifactory walkthrough, saw that he's doing GTNH now and it has me considering picking it up

Can GTNH be played on Peaceful or do you need enemy mobs for progression?

Mobs are required, yes. You can safely turn off infernal mobs while turning off special mobs will only break a few unimportant repeatable coin quests. The modpack also contains the magnum torch which you could cheat in if you want your base to be mob free.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i play it on peaceful most of the time and will change the difficulty up to easy once i get to the combat quests

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Hooplah posted:

unfortunately, he hasn't done nukes in the most recent version and he's not great at explaining redstone. but i'll see if i can't find a video that helps.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

check the ep where he builds his benzene-burning large turbine setup. he uses the typical RS-latch system used by many to turn the turbines on when his power storage hits 20% or below, then turns them off once power storage hits 80%. that system is applicable to most power production systems, assuming they have a warmup period.

basically every redstone logic system you'll use here boils down to reading some kind of level (power, fluid, item) on a block with a detector cover then sending that signal to something that controls a machine or input based on signal, often times a machine controller cover for gregtech machines. the added complexity you see in systems like gwyneth palpate's is just using basic programming logic (AND/OR/NOT gates) to combine/compare multiple signals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Hooplah posted:

check the ep where he builds his benzene-burning large turbine setup. he uses the typical RS-latch system used by many to turn the turbines on when his power storage hits 20% or below, then turns them off once power storage hits 80%. that system is applicable to most power production systems, assuming they have a warmup period.

basically every redstone logic system you'll use here boils down to reading some kind of level (power, fluid, item) on a block with a detector cover then sending that signal to something that controls a machine or input based on signal, often times a machine controller cover for gregtech machines. the added complexity you see in systems like gwyneth palpate's is just using basic programming logic (AND/OR/NOT gates) to combine/compare multiple signals.

so that worked, but I need to build one that turns off my fluid nuke if the temp gets too high. Is there a monitor for that?