Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Boston is legit still better than Ottawa 4 on 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Also goddamn Toronto fuckin sucks, they're getting bounced so fast

E fuckin lmao at that 5th goal, they're so helpless

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 22, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I turned down tickets to the Caps game tonight because I'm swamped with work and I figured a game against Columbus wouldn't be that good. Oops.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In case you're curious how the Jets are doing

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1638354497247272962?s=20

it's a home game vs the Arizona Coyotes

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cocaine Bear posted:

I got a fanatics hat from a secret Santa and it the cheapest thing I own. Doesn't even fit my fukken head.

What I'm saying is I welcome out AliExpress overlords.

:hmmyes:

dhgate.com is also a good source.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2022021124

Maybe don’t start a 41 year old goalie?

Sabres 2-7-2 in March so far.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've missed most of the Leafs games the last two weeks but it sure seems like most of Dubas' trade deadline acquisitions have sucked rear end so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

eXXon posted:

I've missed most of the Leafs games the last two weeks but it sure seems like most of Dubas' trade deadline acquisitions have sucked rear end so far.

Its cool that they traded Sandin because they thought he was soft and can't play Playoff Hockey or whatever and since going Washington he's had 12 points in 9 games and is playing like 25 minutes a night.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

I’ve liked McCabe’s game a lot but he’s had some really unfortunate bounces and there’s times when he looks uncomfortable with where the forwards are supposed to be. Acciari’s been good too, don’t have a bad thing to say about him.

Lafferty’s in a tough spot because I don’t think he’s had one actual regular linemate since entering the lineup, he’s definitely the biggest victim of Keefe getting way too cute with his roster and I’m not exactly sure what his role is supposed to be.

Gustafsson is a real headscratcher, he’s having too good of a season to rot on the bench but Keefe pretty clearly doesn’t trust him and he’s not being given the ice time or linemates to really succeed. He’s had good flashes though, honestly if salary wasn’t a consideration I’d prefer him over Rielly in most of the games he’s played.

Schenn’s been fine when he plays but basically never does which is also preferable, definitely the biggest “why bother” of the deadline.

I think the big issue isn’t adding the new guys, but what adding the new guys has done to Keefe’s game management where no lines or pairings are set and nobody knows what’s expected of them or who they’re going over the boards with period to period.

The funny thing is that people are going to point to tonight as a continuation of the team’s problems when their underlyings (at least for the first half) were better than they’ve been all month, Samsonov was as bad as Sorokin was good and that was mostly the difference.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah unfortunately that's a rather large problem

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s hard for me to care about the online discourse because the discussion has basically been: if the process is bad but results good then the Leafs are bad, but also if the process is good but results bad then the Leafs are also bad, and the only acceptable results would be a Boston-like 20-2 sprint to the end of the year. It’s just fantasy.

But also I can no longer really give a poo poo about the last 20 games of a season with a team that’s been cemented in their playoff spot since November. Other teams are actually playing for stuff, some teams are playing spoiler, there’s a huge gap between motivations out on the ice and this stuff happens every year. It’s not real and nobody can make me believe that the #4 team in the league is in serious trouble because they dropped game 69 against a wildcard.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
An hour ago I almost posted lamenting how much better CBJ is at tanking than the Sharks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lafferty seems to be an earnest guy who works his rear end off to stay in the NHL, but he isn't really good enough to be even on the fourth line of a contending team. He's strictly 19th/20th man depth. He shot 12% in Chicago and that was well above his skill level. He's a good straightline skater and willing to dig for the puck but the skill just isn't there.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lafferty seems to be an earnest guy who works his rear end off to stay in the NHL, but he isn't really good enough to be even on the fourth line of a contending team. He's strictly 19th/20th man depth. He shot 12% in Chicago and that was well above his skill level. He's a good straightline skater and willing to dig for the puck but the skill just isn't there.

Every once in a while he does something where you’re like “ok, maybe I can see something here” but Keefe basically stapling him to Nylander has pretty predictably not worked at all. He was a throw-in with McCabe and honestly still a better player than the Leafs other 4th line subs like Simmonds or McMann/Steeves so I can’t object to him being on the team but his usage since ROR went down is just wild.

All this said though, Keefe has gotten flack a ton in the past for being too rigid with his lines in-season and then left scrambling when guys have been knocked out in the playoffs, if he wants to run March-April like training camp 2.0 and get this stuff out of his system that’s fine as long as he lands somewhere sensible once the puck drops in the first round.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s hard for me to care about the online discourse because the discussion has basically been: if the process is bad but results good then the Leafs are bad, but also if the process is good but results bad then the Leafs are also bad, and the only acceptable results would be a Boston-like 20-2 sprint to the end of the year. It’s just fantasy.

But also I can no longer really give a poo poo about the last 20 games of a season with a team that’s been cemented in their playoff spot since November. Other teams are actually playing for stuff, some teams are playing spoiler, there’s a huge gap between motivations out on the ice and this stuff happens every year. It’s not real and nobody can make me believe that the #4 team in the league is in serious trouble because they dropped game 69 against a wildcard.

yeah I'm sure the goaltending will work itself by playoff time, it always does right, nothing to be concerned abahahahahahah

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1638374505142706176?t=x0PeOmdp83sk4haRZbixdw&s=19

I joked about this, but that's actually respectable for the 2nd game doing it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

yeah I'm sure the goaltending will work itself by playoff time, it always does right, nothing to be concerned abahahahahahah

I don’t think Samsonov’s had two bad games in a row since October, I don’t really know that there’s a whole lot to be worried about there. He’s also spent the last two days talking about how he might have to drop everything on the trip cause his wife is due any minute now, I’m not blaming the guy if he’s a little off his routine.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1638374505142706176?t=x0PeOmdp83sk4haRZbixdw&s=19

That's better than PLD's season average.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Is Otter broken? It feels like the stars have been giving up a whole lot of goals

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Is Otter broken? It feels like the stars have been giving up a whole lot of goals

yeah he has like a .880 save percentage since the start of February..

I mean luckily they've scored 4 or more in 10 of their last 12 games so it hasn't completely sunk the team lately, but man is it hard to look past right before playoffs. He might be out of gas, especially as he's played every single game but 1 since Wedgewood went down with injury.

Oettinger has been a very up and down goaltender throughout his career.. his track record was pretty much 2 amazing weeks followed by 2 bad weeks during his time in the AHL and in his first year with the Stars.. He caught absolute fire during the tail end of 2022 including the playoffs and for the first couple month of this season which kind of broke that trend, but this latest stretch will have people questioning whether he's truly arrived as a #1 goalie again. Hard to speculate how much of the performance issues are fatigue related and how much is your typical wild fluctuations in play that you get from virtually every non elite goaltender.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I really hope Pettersson and Hughes don't re-sign long term in Vancouver, they're such fun players to watch wasted on that trash rear end team

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

yeah he has like a .880 save percentage since the start of February..

I mean luckily they've scored 4 or more in 10 of their last 12 games so it hasn't completely sunk the team lately, but man is it hard to look past right before playoffs. He might be out of gas, especially as he's played every single game but 1 since Wedgewood went down with injury.

Oettinger has been a very up and down goaltender throughout his career.. his track record was pretty much 2 amazing weeks followed by 2 bad weeks during his time in the AHL and in his first year with the Stars.. He caught absolute fire during the tail end of 2022 including the playoffs and for the first couple month of this season which kind of broke that trend, but this latest stretch will have people questioning whether he's truly arrived as a #1 goalie again. Hard to speculate how much of the performance issues are fatigue related and how much is your typical wild fluctuations in play that you get from virtually every non elite goaltender.

And the overtime/shootout thing...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ok but I live in Canada and the NHL is not B tier here. And that's my point, its some nonsense frame of reference thing and it doesn't matter. Its only used by people to poo poo on something they care about for I have no idea what reason.

In Canada hockey is losing ground to soccer FAST. Like we’re becoming a more diverse nation but a lot of “old stock Canadians” (white conservatives) aren’t having kids who are growing up to become hockey fans, it’s lots of racialized immigrants who are starting their kids on soccer instead of that weird super expensive razors on your feet on ice game. I’m making an observation about demographics to be clear, nothing wrong with Canada becoming more diverse and they can replace my white rear end any day.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I really hope Pettersson and Hughes don't re-sign long term in Vancouver, they're such fun players to watch wasted on that trash rear end team

Mercifully Hughes is signed for four years after this one. It's the best thing Benning ever did.

Petey is unfortunately a very different matter. They bridged a guy who's about to hit 100pts because they just couldn't resist the temptation of trading for OEL.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Laine rules and I look forward to his emergence as a defensively responsible playmaking center

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

https://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2022021124

Maybe don’t start a 41 year old goalie?

Sabres 2-7-2 in March so far.

He’s ok as long as he doesn’t start more than one game a week. I’m not sure what Granato doesn’t understand about that? Now they are going to have a back to back on Friday and Saturday and they’re going to have to start him again, unless Comrie comes back which would also be bad. Everything is bad. Life sucks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Sabres have given up 60 goals in their 12 games since acquiring Riley Stillman. The Canucks have given up 21 goals in 10 games since trading him away. Makes you think.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Its cool that they traded Sandin because they thought he was soft and can't play Playoff Hockey or whatever and since going Washington he's had 12 points in 9 games and is playing like 25 minutes a night.

FWIW,

https://twitter.com/tomgulittinhl/status/1637538009074614272?s=46&t=R-IIQ8Nj5o0BHYWoMXm9wQ

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, that honeymoon didn’t last long but he’s far from the only problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

In Canada hockey is losing ground to soccer FAST. Like we’re becoming a more diverse nation but a lot of “old stock Canadians” (white conservatives) aren’t having kids who are growing up to become hockey fans, it’s lots of racialized immigrants who are starting their kids on soccer instead of that weird super expensive razors on your feet on ice game. I’m making an observation about demographics to be clear, nothing wrong with Canada becoming more diverse and they can replace my white rear end any day.

As a youth sport yeah, but nobody cares about watching soccer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Same for MLS here in NY. No one gives a shiiiit about NYCFC or the Red Bulls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Same for MLS here in NY. No one gives a shiiiit about NYCFC or the Red Bulls.

I’d say it’s probably more that the Premier League in particular is getting more traction in the US. It doesn’t directly overlap on any of the other leagues since the games are on in the morning , but worth noting.

That said, I’m in St. Louis, who’s MLS team just started this year, and their games for the year are pretty much sold out already. Stadium has a capacity of around 22,000. Good question as to whether it will continue or not, but I was surprised.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, that honeymoon didn’t last long but he’s far from the only problem.

Their defense is basically Nick Jensen. Who had a two-goal night!

Caps still have their Bedard lottery ticket for now though which is good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

The Sabres have given up 60 goals in their 12 games since acquiring Riley Stillman. The Canucks have given up 21 goals in 10 games since trading him away. Makes you think.

It has less to do with Stillman (who is an upgrade over Bryson) and more to do with a bunch of other poo poo like Samuelsson being injured and the goaltending being a dumpster fire.

Greenway played in most of those games and had one goal and zero assists :geno: I understand that he was a reclamation project of sorts and wouldn’t immediately turn into Tage Thompson but it sure seemed like a weird choice to get him at the deadline and not the off-season, all things considered!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'm Canadian and I've pretty much completely lost interest in hockey. My league team is owned by a meddling dumbass and managed by even bigger idiots, the league itself hates fans in every way, the tv networks have conspired to make it as hard as possible to watch games. I could at least enjoy reading about my miserable team, but its most entertaining writer loving died (RIP Botchford), its most informed writers had either been scooped up by NHL teams (the entirety of canucks army) or bought by the athletic (which was okay! until the NYT bought them). You could find a lot of good hockey stuff on twitter but now that's all hosed too.

Then I don't follow the national team anymore either on account of them being rapists. I'll still cheer on the women's team when they play twice a year.

Like these days my hockey consumption is limited to doomposting in this very thread. Which is honestly no less fun than any part of the Canucks' 52 years of futility.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

deoju posted:

:hmmyes:

dhgate.com is also a good source.
Is there a particular seller or sellers on DHGate I should look for? I know quality can be hit or miss

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It has less to do with Stillman

Can't argue with science

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

Can't argue with science

All of their losing streaks this season have been while Matthias Samuelsson was hurt. Bigger sample size, more sound science.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like hockey but if it wants to poo poo on its own balls repeatedly until it's losing ratings to an MLS game I won't stop it. The sport is fun to watch, but boy howdy it sure seems like the culture is a tirefire and a decade or two behind the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I like hockey but if it wants to poo poo on its own balls repeatedly until it's losing ratings to an MLS game I won't stop it. The sport is fun to watch, but boy howdy it sure seems like the culture is a tirefire and a decade or two behind the curve.

Further than that probably because just about everyone in the management structure is well past retirement age. They're all stuck in the 70's/80's.