Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

It's so bad in Austin, I know someone who kept her job here in Austin and rents in San Antonio.

absolutely no way that makes financial sense, especially the cost of therapy for using i35 every day for fifty miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm moving into a new place today in austin closer to downtown and it's ancient, ugly, but remodeled! they slapped down fresh linoleum floors that are bubbling up already and drat right it's already on the "list of hosed-up things that were hosed up before i moved in" sheet

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Yes if it's annexed by Ireland or France or Netherlands or any other Northern European country, no if it's perfidious Yankeedom. I like having free SSRIs

Well if I'm leading the project it's 74 counties yeah.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

NeonPunk posted:

It's so bad in Austin, I know someone who kept her job here in Austin and rents in San Antonio.

ive had a similar commute :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a.lo posted:

[slaps some new paint on the outside of apartment complex] check out our new remodeled apartments

This is literally why I had to move. My old apartment refused to renew my lease for "renovations." Looking at a renovated apartment, they put some laminate in the entry way, replaced the perfectly fine white appliances with black ones and replaced all the kitchen cabinets.

That apartment was built in 2000, so it was perfectly fine as is. The thing is I've never lived anywhere that wasn't fine with just keeping cabinets from 1972, and a stove from 1989 if there was nothing wrong with them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gen Zer homeowners at this point are all products of nepotism

:guillotine:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

i say swears online posted:

i'm moving into a new place today in austin closer to downtown and it's ancient, ugly, but remodeled! they slapped down fresh linoleum floors that are bubbling up already and drat right it's already on the "list of hosed-up things that were hosed up before i moved in" sheet

Suddenly remembered World War 2 heirloom floors in the Netherlands.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

"Luxury" apartment just means anything that was built or renovated in the last ten years (renovated just means someone put in LVP)

Stone countertops.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Stone countertops.

hey i can sharpen my knives on those counters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is worse!
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1638552660981760003?t=kuX3Z8tFoS1HUMxIESpKkQ&s=19

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Gen Zer homeowners at this point are all products of nepotism

:guillotine:

If I hear one more grad student say they bought a house because it's a better investment than renting

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I hear one more grad student say they bought a house because it's a better investment than renting

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Nichael posted:

I am going to make Children of Men real.

biosphere collapse thread has great news for you

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Where's Jay. He needs to hike 50bps and kill shot everything.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

children of men but it's the one woman who can afford to have a baby

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Baby Diego is gonna be the last kid who remembers the pre-escalator world.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
fun movie

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you can afford a house as a grad student I say go for it. Have fun.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

Baby Diego is gonna be the last kid who remembers the pre-escalator world.
Children of the Escalator, a new young adult series.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

absolutely no way that makes financial sense, especially the cost of therapy for using i35 every day for fifty miles

I knew a guy who did that too

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Seize the means of docking.

:quagmire:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Woke Mind Virus posted:

If you can afford a house as a grad student I say go for it. Have fun.

I mean, yeah, I'd do it. It's just a lot of fun teaching and supervising kids who drive nicer cars than me and live in nicer houses (that they actually own, unlike me).

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m moving out of my current place and my landlord has tried to make me sign my life away multiple times. they wanted to sign a doc which said:

I was responsible for any maintenance, painting, carpet cleaning, etc.

&

They can show the apartment to potential buyers at any “reasonable time” with “appropriate notice”

They put this in with info on where they’ll send the deposit. I’m sure most people just sign it not realizing it opens you up to costs way beyond what is legally responsible.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

the hvac froze and then leaked in to the living room loving up the drywall in the ceiling

was quoted $7k+ to replace the whole system

the previous owner didn't mention the foundation problems that i had to have fixed and now i need to adjust doors and windows and re-mud finishings

at least my doors shut now

BEING A HOME OWNER IS GREAT

one time cost of 7k for a whole new hvac huh? gee that's almost what i pay in 3 months in perpetuity in exchange for jack poo poo

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what even makes it luxury

if you can buy it in bulk from home depot that feels disqualifying

is it because it's that weird grey color

luxury doesn't mean anything about the quality of the apartment, it just means that they are positioning the price at the top of the market

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nothus posted:

"Luxury" is code for "we don't take section 8". It's a class signifier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/federalreserve/status/1638533203995525121?s=20

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Will Powell do what we all hope he does (500 BP rate raise) or will he dishonor Paul Volcker by not trying to burn everything to the ground? :thunk:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the moment of truth, does jpow shoot america in the dick? find out at 2:30

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
powell looking at cameras, holding out his hand and wavering between a thumbs up and thumbs down as the crowd feverishly nods yes and then no.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Louisgod posted:

powell looking at cameras, holding out his hand and wavering between a thumbs up and thumbs down as the crowd feverishly nods yes and then no.

people shouting rates to him like it's The Price Is Right

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

my sister got a good deal on new construction apartments who needed to fill a few hundred units but now their lease is up and surprise surprise it's $400 more per month at minimum to stick around

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not even joking about someone buying the London Bridge and moving it to Arizona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

I went there when I was 8
it’s ok

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Can Powell do an irrational number for raising the rates and break everything? Like raise it by some multiple of Pi?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orvin posted:

Can Powell do an irrational number for raising the rates and break everything? Like raise it by some multiple of Pi?

we are raising rates by i, the square root of -1

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Taima posted:

Only 18.2% dude? I tracked my food bills and it's more like 50%. I plead with the god of number that food only rises 18.2%, that is some pie in the sky positive thinking fairy world poo poo for food to ONLY rise 18.2%

You show me a person whose food bills only raised 18% and I'll show you someone who has actively been eating shittier food, whether they know it or not.

not only the price inflation but i've seen more shrinkflation and stuff that i regularly eat is noticably crappier quality

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

by rotating number into the imaginary plane, entire new possibilities for growth are unlocked

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Morbus posted:

by rotating number into the imaginary plane, entire new possibilities for growth are unlocked

$SPi is going nuts today. Get in!

(this is not real financial advice)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It makes more sense than you think. Start treating the economy as two different forms, Real and Reactive Market. The .1% get to play with the Reactive Market and have their high score. The rest of us get to stay in reality.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orvin posted:

It makes more sense than you think.

how dare you assume how much sense i think it makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Orvin posted:

It makes more sense than you think. Start treating the economy as two different forms, Real and Reactive Market. The .1% get to play with the Reactive Market and have their high score. The rest of us get to stay in reality.

i want a free market small enough that you can drown it in a bathtub