Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how dare you assume how much sense i think it makes

My mistake.

You are are the next prophet of number as foretold by the ancient texts. You must bring your wisdom to the Elder J Pow so that the next great age of number may begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

i say swears online posted:

children of men but it's the one woman who can afford to have a baby

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

(SVB)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tell everyone that the new rate was written down and hidden somewhere and everyone has to decode this riddle to find the location where it was buried

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

what's everyone's bets?

mine: thinking 0.

IE: no changes at all. They can't afford to raise them anymore ("We must save the banks!") and they can't afford to lower them ("We have to drain money to prevent inflation!"). They feel like they are against the wall until poo poo breaks (even more).

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Orvin posted:

It makes more sense than you think. Start treating the economy as two different forms, Real and Reactive Market. The .1% get to play with the Reactive Market and have their high score. The rest of us get to stay in reality.

can't wait for the number to go mandelbrot

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

let’s cross the streams. just have jpow read Trump’s indictment and ask the NY grand jury what rates should be.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

IE: no changes at all. They can't afford to raise them anymore ("We must save the banks!") and they can't afford to lower them ("We have to drain money to prevent inflation!"). They feel like they are against the wall until poo poo breaks (even more).

same

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Morbus posted:

by rotating number into the imaginary plane, entire new possibilities for growth are unlocked

The morons are already abusing statistics, let’s not give them ideas past pre-calculus now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
let's arrest Jpow and let trump decide what the interest rate is

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

Tell everyone that the new rate was written down and hidden somewhere and everyone has to decode this riddle to find the location where it was buried

Legends of the Hidden Temple style.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

Just keep raising rates while also printing money for banks, duh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No one will ever succeed at the Shrine of the Silver Monkey :smith:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

25 bps so they don't look like they're spineless and can pretend like the banking system is actually stable

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

I think I agree, though he might hint at a 25bps hike next time out

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

inflation has been solved so i'm thinking 0

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

well price gouging lead to inflation so obviously we have to make everyone poor and unable to buy food which will encourage the industry to lower prices. BUMP IT UP !!!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Casey Finnigan posted:

25 bps so they don't look like they're spineless and can pretend like the banking system is actually stable

I think it's either 25 or 50

Jpow doesn't care what the markets want or interest rates would have stayed at 0 to begin with

A recession (and bank failure) was always an expected outcome of raising interest rates

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not even joking about someone buying the London Bridge and moving it to Arizona.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

ha, i learned about that the other day. america really is a cultural wasteland.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

25bps probably, but 50 is more likely than 0

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

No one will ever succeed at the Shrine of the Silver Monkey :smith:

*mashing the body on top of the head* I don't understand, the economy should be fixed by now!!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

+.25bp, .5 if they're feeling spicy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

bro are you matty egglesias

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

agreed, he's too chicken poo poo.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Mirthless posted:

I think it's either 25 or 50

Jpow doesn't care what the markets want or interest rates would have stayed at 0 to begin with

A recession (and bank failure) was always an expected outcome of raising interest rates

Yeah I figured they knew this would happen

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

hmmm rates going from 4.75 to 4.7525 or 4.755?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

25 bps and 1 hour of Jerome chanting STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT STRONG STABLE ROBUST RESILIENT SAFE SOFT

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

more like the movie Cube.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For anyone curious, this link has the current market odds of what Jerome will do in 2 hours: https://www.investing.com/central-banks/fed-rate-monitor

As of this post, 87% chance of 25bps, 13% chance of pause.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

bro are you matty egglesias

sorry its early I meant a .25% increase

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

Imma put my 20 on the dark horse. Jay is gonna reduce the rate by 25bps

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Goon project annex sink the the uk into the sea

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I just don't see the use in a pause if the plan isnt to either freeze or reverse in the near term, we are too far from inflationary targets and pausing rates for two weeks doesnt really do much for people holding ten year Treasury bonds. It's like cutting off an arm because you stubbed a toe.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

jpow deciding on the next rate hike

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

25 bps (25%)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there are no good solutions anymore :yeshaha:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

there are good solutions, but they aren't options

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Also this exact thing has been warned about endlessly since they turned the money hose on but whattayagonnado :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not as much hype & excitement about it anymore but bank stocks are getting slapped around again. PACW down 10%, FRC down 4%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

The only thing the Fed knows how to do is print money and kicking the can so my bet is also with 0 hike and a halfassed hint at .25 maybe somewhere down the road.