Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

/\/\/\. Nope! Mich shadier

They bought a client list, and the knowledge base to support those clients. I am a significant part of that knowledge so they attempted to transfer my employment (along with 6 other coworkers) without like, asking my opinion or anything.

Me signing with them may be part of the whole sale, meaning it falls through without me, and I am absolutely amused at the whole thing.

Sounds like you have a lot of negotiating power then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Oh, that's gross. I decided against adding a joke about consent and hostile takeovers but I guess consent is more relevant than I realized.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Winifred Madgers posted:

Sounds like you have a lot of negotiating power then.

I didn't get shut down when I said I walk without 6 figures, and wouldn't work til I get that in person meeting to work it out.

I'm also fortunate to be in a position where I can actually walk and have the support I need, so it might be time to stay at home and play with my partners kiddo for a few months.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Dream job turned me down, big surprise.

I have decided I'm completely unhirable.

I'm going to retire from job hunting for a bit, I think.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A Frosty Witch posted:

My wife is looking for an HR job and is getting to the same point, I feel your pain :glomp:

The right fit is out there!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sorry to hear that, Frosty Witch :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I didn't get shut down when I said I walk without 6 figures, and wouldn't work til I get that in person meeting to work it out.

I'm also fortunate to be in a position where I can actually walk and have the support I need, so it might be time to stay at home and play with my partners kiddo for a few months.
If they try lowball you at like 110k be all "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you the impression that the most significant figure was "1". Stack that paper.

A Frosty Witch posted:

You're objectively not unhirable. If narrative causality is anything to go by you'll poo poo out a couple of half-assed applications this week and barely bother in an interview only to land something awesome.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

If they try lowball you at like 110k be all "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you the impression that the most significant figure was "1". Stack that paper.

I'm actually going to push other places, mostly "pay for my loving transition"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Guy Axlerod posted:

When two companies love eachother very much, they can do a merger. The employees of the bought company can use this as an opportunity to negotiate. They can come along for the ride, bail out, or demand a raise and/or retention bonus.

You don’t refer to that as ‘buying’ someone it’s usually just ‘my company is doing a merger’

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

:murica:

E: murica emoji got changed....

loving lmao

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
seriously though that stealth emote change in that context

so good. Just so good

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

i am a moron posted:

You don’t refer to that as ‘buying’ someone it’s usually just ‘my company is doing a merger’

Yeah but the difference here is that the selling company essentially sold RFC as part of the merger, i.e. promised she and her knowledge would be part of the sale. I'd call that more selling someone than a merger, because they appear to have straight up said "yeah we're selling you this product and also the expertise of the employee who knows it best", without actually, y'know, consulting her upfront about it.

Which absolutely puts her in the position to say "yeah the 10 of your $110k offer is fine but you're gonna need to increase the first digit thanks".

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
No I get that, that’s why I was curious about the phrasing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

i am a moron posted:

No I get that, that’s why I was curious about the phrasing.

It would be more accurate to say they sold a department off than a merger, tho it wasn't actually a department.

The old company is still alive and kicking and being complete garbage

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

so technically you're a spinoff?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
RFC2324 Gaiden

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamn I’d have so much more money now if somebody told me that I was named as a buyout requirement. They dun hosed up letting you know, go get that scratch and whatever else ya need.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrdKtPJxI0

Meanwhile, I am doing Security Awareness training where ~~insider threats~~ are nerds in black hoodies with red shades.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I ended up just refusing the offer, the job had already gotten to the point of routinely reducing me to tears.

They tried to demand a letter of resignation, and I pointed out that I never worked for them in the first place.

Time to be an automated housewife :awesomelon:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

They tried to demand a letter of resignation, and I pointed out that I never worked for them in the first place.

lmao, this is fantastic

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yeah. And sorry it did not work out, but it sounds like it's for the best. Wishing you a relaxing break and a good job search. I always thought your job sounded bad, you can do a lot better.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao that's great

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ahaha you torpedoed the deal and lost somebody a lot of money. Nice.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You love to see it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If you don't mind me asking, what were they offering you? Did they think they can move your employment over like that and give you a pay cut in the process? Did they offer the same and are shocked you dared suggest a raise?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

This is some stone cold poo poo and you're a badass.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean if they wanna play that game, personally I'd love to write them a letter of resignation for myself.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

This is some stone cold poo poo and you're a badass.

I mean you have to acknowledge somewhere, somehow that you’re being employed by a new company. When my last place sold our division the people that didn’t agree to move over just stopped being employed by anyone. There isn’t a mechanism in the US to do this totally against someone’s will

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

i am a moron posted:

I mean you have to acknowledge somewhere, somehow that you’re being employed by a new company. When my last place sold our division the people that didn’t agree to move over just stopped being employed by anyone. There isn’t a mechanism in the US to do this totally against someone’s will

That depends entirely on the structure of the acquisition. It's entirely possible for your boss and entire management structure to be replaced without directly changing the entity who signs your paycheck and who you have an employment contract with. Nobody likes to do that because it's messy as hell, but it is doable.

Depending on the state "gently caress you, I'm not signing that" would be a layoff, not quitting, because the business unit dissolved with the acquisition. Most employment lawyers will answer some questions for free, and everyone deserves a severance package. That's probably why HR wanted a resignation, because the resignation affirms the change in employment, then instantly ends it, preventing the "it's not a layoff, it's a merger" loophole they closed after the games they played in the 90s.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That depends entirely on the structure of the acquisition. It's entirely possible for your boss and entire management structure to be replaced without directly changing the entity who signs your paycheck and who you have an employment contract with. Nobody likes to do that because it's messy as hell, but it is doable.

Depending on the state "gently caress you, I'm not signing that" would be a layoff, not quitting, because the business unit dissolved with the acquisition. Most employment lawyers will answer some questions for free, and everyone deserves a severance package. That's probably why HR wanted a resignation, because the resignation affirms the change in employment, then instantly ends it, preventing the "it's not a layoff, it's a merger" loophole they closed after the games they played in the 90s.
Holy poo poo. Good point.

RFC2324, go get yourself a lawyer and demand severance for bonus funemployment!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I tell you the thousands of dollars I get per month from my last job that is still going 4 months later is pretty nice.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea I mean wholly owned subsidiaries are a thing. True mergers might not qualify either, I know my wife has been through a few and I don’t think they reoffer necessarily. You can’t just peel off part of a company and hand it to another company though. Even something as simple as health insurance can’t be worked out without interacting with an employee

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lol, “employment contract” in the US of A. At least for anything les than Veep.
Edit: which RFC might have been! I don’t know.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Darchangel posted:

Lol, “employment contract” in the US of A. At least for anything les than Veep.
Edit: which RFC might have been! I don’t know.

Just because the contract says they can fire you for any reason or no reason doesn't make it less contractual. They can tell you that 'your new boss will be X', but they can't say 'your new employer will be Y' and actually do it without you signing something. Either side can zero notice quit the contact, but one side absolutely cannot renegotiate specific terms unilaterally. Basic US contract law prohibits that.

Contracts with teeth that cut both ways don't start until you're in the equity bracket of leadership, or you're both extremely valuable (and management both knows it AND is willing to acknowledge it). Which is rare these days, when most companies will happily saw off their foot rather than deal fairly with someone with value to the company.

i am a moron posted:

Yea I mean wholly owned subsidiaries are a thing. True mergers might not qualify either, I know my wife has been through a few and I don’t think they reoffer necessarily. You can’t just peel off part of a company and hand it to another company though. Even something as simple as health insurance can’t be worked out without interacting with an employee

Health Insurance on the employer side is a loving nightmare of bullshit, and you bet your rear end that everything involved with it lives and dies based on dozens of very specific terms and clauses, of which selling a division would 110% invalidate for those employees.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what were they offering you? Did they think they can move your employment over like that and give you a pay cut in the process? Did they offer the same and are shocked you dared suggest a raise?

Business as usual, but with less benefits, and we will discuss future when they get done with everything else(a situation that I know means never)

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

Business as usual, but with less benefits, and we will discuss future when they get done with everything else(a situation that I know means never)
Good for you. This mentality from them is hosed. They should be bending over backwards to make those converting happy with their new company, not hoping they can gently screw you and you'll just go along.

How many other humans are they trying to drag along like this? I hope that they are able to do what you did and make this a clusterfuck for the purchaser.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

we will discuss future when they get done with everything else(a situation that I know means never)

ahh so "train your replacements so we can lay you off"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you negotiate don’t forget pto accrual, also a signing bonus is better than a raise if you don’t trust them. They need you to close the deal.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Would it be unprofessional if I closed a ticket by saying it's so stupid it made my brain hurt?

It took me 10 minutes to send the ticket back saying, what?, but I've spent over an hour trying to decipher what the ask is. They eventually got back to me with what's effectively a wildly incorrect definition of what a NAT is which only made things worse.

$10 all the customer wants is to put the ISP gear into bridge mode so they can use their own router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Just because the contract says they can fire you for any reason or no reason doesn't make it less contractual. They can tell you that 'your new boss will be X', but they can't say 'your new employer will be Y' and actually do it without you signing something. Either side can zero notice quit the contact, but one side absolutely cannot renegotiate specific terms unilaterally. Basic US contract law prohibits that.

Contracts with teeth that cut both ways don't start until you're in the equity bracket of leadership, or you're both extremely valuable (and management both knows it AND is willing to acknowledge it). Which is rare these days, when most companies will happily saw off their foot rather than deal fairly with someone with value to the company.

Contracts at all don’t exist until one gets to the executive level. Literally every job I’ve ever had, admittedly all in Texas, so perhaps not the best example, explicitly stated in the HR paperwork that no one beside the CEO of the company had authority to even *make* a contract with employees.

That said, no company can just… sell a job to another company, much less the employee.

Renegret posted:

Would it be unprofessional if I closed a ticket by saying it's so stupid it made my brain hurt?

It took me 10 minutes to send the ticket back saying, what?, but I've spent over an hour trying to decipher what the ask is. They eventually got back to me with what's effectively a wildly incorrect definition of what a NAT is which only made things worse.

$10 all the customer wants is to put the ISP gear into bridge mode so they can use their own router.

“Listen, all I want to do is <some wildly incorrect interpretation of something they read or heard on a tech channel>.”