Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Nuts and Gum posted:

God dammit Microsoft is so close to having this amazing Xbox+PC ecosystem but at the last mile they decided ‘eh let the developers choose’. If you built a game for Windows and Xbox they should be able to share saves. Whether or not it’s a ‘Play Anywhere’ title should have no bearing on this :argh:

I don't think it's laissez faire about it. I think it's generally a part of agreement for game pass, but some games are incompatible with it, like Doom Eternal. They just aren't built to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MJBuddy posted:

I don't think it's laissez faire about it. I think it's generally a part of agreement for game pass, but some games are incompatible with it, like Doom Eternal. They just aren't built to support it.

Yeah, it seems to occur most often when a game initially launches on Xbox but not on the Xbox PC app and vice-versa, either due to technical reasons or the publisher wants an extra sale.

Vampire Survivors comes to mind as an exception though (it first launched on Xbox PC app as a game preview, but shares saves & achievements with the console release).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I play my xbox on a 30" 720p tv, what is that the equivalent to

buying a ps5

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually the problem is that they know exactly what the gently caress they're doing, they just don't care about video games; it just happens to be the business they're in and they're more often than not pretty adept at minmaxing their revenue (see also: making salaried employees work 110-hour weeks with no OT pay or breaks).

This was a very long time ago but before the full game of Battlefield 1942 released, EA released the free downloadable "Wake Island Demo" for it. This turned out to be a huge misstep for them because the demo was too good, it had what I think was widely considered the best map in the game without any other real limitations. People formed clans specifically around this demo version (the one EA made no money from) which I think were still somewhat active when EA finally made the full BF1942 a free game permanently on Origin.

This is one of the big reasons why demos are far less common than they've been historically, and why when demos/betas do occur they are almost always time-limited (like for a weekend or two) and dependent on connectivity to the master servers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Question: can I just move my external SSD between my Series S to my soon new Series X seamlessly?

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is "yes but a bunch of games will probably want to update in order to pull a build that has beefier textures", although this might depend on what settings you have on your Series S, I think there's a setting where you can tell it to pre-update if that's of interest to you. I know Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves would do this if they were installed (e.g. Sea of Thieves will go from 20-30 gigs to 70-80, Halo Infinite's size also increases but less dramatically, like an extra 15 gigs or something like that).

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

God dammit Microsoft is so close to having this amazing Xbox+PC ecosystem but at the last mile they decided ‘eh let the developers choose’. If you built a game for Windows and Xbox they should be able to share saves. Whether or not it’s a ‘Play Anywhere’ title should have no bearing on this :argh:

I agree that it would be way better this way, but mandating things like this to devs seems like a good way to piss some of them off. I hope that Xbox becomes big enough that they have the clout to push for a more unified approach to game licenses, especially with their cloud push.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is "yes but a bunch of games will probably want to update in order to pull a build that has beefier textures", although this might depend on what settings you have on your Series S, I think there's a setting where you can tell it to pre-update if that's of interest to you. I know Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves would do this if they were installed (e.g. Sea of Thieves will go from 20-30 gigs to 70-80, Halo Infinite's size also increases but less dramatically, like an extra 15 gigs or something like that).

My Series S will end at my 2nd house (LG OLED 4k) and my X will be used on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Should it be the other way around screen-wise?? Yeah but the S will be used way less and fits the emulation/co-op machine role.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Should it be the other way around screen-wise??

yes!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

First (p)reviews of Redfall are coming in, they seem to be very positive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
still don't like anything i've seen on that game, but it's gamepass so gently caress it

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Guillermus posted:

My Series S will end at my 2nd house (LG OLED 4k) and my X will be used on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Should it be the other way around screen-wise?? Yeah but the S will be used way less and fits the emulation/co-op machine role.

If you can afford a second house equipped with an LG OLED then maybe you should just buy two Series X’s

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

univbee posted:

Actually the problem is that they know exactly what the gently caress they're doing, they just don't care about video games

The thought of these companies having the final say and jurisdiction over the availability of these games honestly gives me the ick. Certainly more as time goes on. I thought they'd earned a bit of credit recently for keeping the original versions of Dead Space available beyond the release of the remake, but I guess that's on a ticking timer.

EA burning down any good will following the release of a Dead Space game. Time really is a flat circle.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the justification is to avoid consumer complaints when selling products where 90% of the features no longer work because they depend on MP servers

personally I think they should just stick them up for $0.01, warn people that most of the game doesn't actually work anymore, and if someone wants to gently caress around in Battlefield 1943.exe, let them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the justification is to avoid consumer complaints when selling products where 90% of the features no longer work because they depend on MP servers

personally I think they should just stick them up for $0.01, warn people that most of the game doesn't actually work anymore, and if someone wants to gently caress around in Battlefield 1943.exe, let them

I think the problem is at scale you still wind up wasting resources. Some idiot will complain on the forums about the game not working on Windows 12 and refuse to take no for an answer and waste support's time, and I think this is complicated by things like EU regulations which may in extreme interpretations force a company's hand to do more than they really want to on "new" purchases, while they have better outs if they just nuke sales of a title entirely and maybe do something like turning a blind eye to people pirating the PC version and running custom servers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

still don't like anything i've seen on that game, but it's gamepass so gently caress it

I feel the same way. Nothing about it looks compelling. Not the gameplay or the art style

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

many have already started calling it "RedFail"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
arkane games are fun even "bad" ones like deathloop

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wanted to like deathloop but something was weird with how it played for me like the controls or the graphics settings or whatever (this was on pc)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I enjoyed Deathloop more then either of the dishonored games. (I'm very sorry, I know I'm wrong about this.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dudfail

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
deathloop had some weird default controls but once you get them calibrated it's a fun game. its not their best but you can tell the arkane attention to detail was there. there may only be one "correct way" to destroy the loop but each level has lots of ways you can tackle it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Diablo IV Open Beta is up for pre-load. Approximate size is 92.59GB according to the store page. That's one thicc Lilith.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Deathloop at launch was a pretty bland experience but the big content patch brought it up to a pretty okay game. I pity anyone who didn't get to play with the new Fugue power at the big party scene.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1qG8pREfkA

:captainpop:

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I enjoyed Deathloop more then either of the dishonored games. (I'm very sorry, I know I'm wrong about this.)
lol why are you apologizing for having an opinion? And I agree, Deathloop is their most fun game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol that is one hell of a flex

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

drat

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

We’ve done it. We finally have technology that allows a manager to say ‘make those graphics better on level 2’ and ai will do it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

lets hang out posted:

I play my xbox on a 30" 720p tv, what is that the equivalent to

A fool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

If you watched the live demo they even did a rough thing on stage with her. It's to demo the new animation capture technology for MetaHumans that you can do with just a phone.

It's crazy good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjjmT3b3AM&t=4010s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pcgamer didnt like their 90 minute solo-only hands on with redfall

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1638699638684540928?s=46&t=36rNzOEGx40Ej2XR8t_CPw

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I call it the Failing Pcgamer magazine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

priznat posted:

It will be funny if the thing that finally kills live service gaming is the execs freaking out about how much it costs to keep the servers going

I think they already know, they are just chasing that Destiny 2 / Fortnite money. Hoping to make a live service game that sticks, and if it doesn't then they just shut it down completely and move onto the next live service idea that they believe will get people excited. None of them realize that you need Destiny 2 levels of money investment to make a live service game work and get people excited.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Here is my complete lack of surprise. Not because PC Gamer sucks, but because I called it that Redfall wasn't going to be good. Everyone called it.

Is Hellblade 2 ever actually coming out? :(

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BurningBeard posted:

When I was a broke college kid I had my 360 hooked up to a big loving CRT. I have no regrets and neither should OP lol

what made me finally splurge $700 on my first 720p 32 incher was playing Dead Rising on a 27" CRT.

I then spent time getting the cheevo that let you have the Mega Man gun so I could New Game+ it but was bored by then and fed up with the save mechanic so I never picked it back up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nice guy streamer Jackfrags had a (sponsored) video on redfall and his reaction to it qas so mid the game is probably a real chore. He loves fpses but did not seem excited at all.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Watching the trailer was already a chore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Giant Bomb's video on it earlier and their reaction was also lukewarm at best, which, yeah, I wasn't expecting much from the game based on what was shown at that recent Xbox conference. Hopefully some people find it fun but it didn't look like my kind of thing whatsoever.