Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Y’all were right, the bao buns were just okay

Putting on some bachans barbecue sauce, another Costco pickup, helped though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Y’all were right, the bao buns were just okay

Putting on some bachans barbecue sauce, another Costco pickup, helped though

The ones I got were kind of overpowered by the bread flavor but yeah, extra sauce helped

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God drat the new gyro kit from the refrigerated section was a life saver tonight. Easy microwaveable dinner that tasted pretty good!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Do smoke some cream cheese though, last time I was at church they had large bottles of the Fischer and Weiser Raspberry Chipotle sauce and that poo poo is top tier right there. Smoke some cream cheese, pour that over it, and enjoy with your favorite cracker (I like wheat thins).

My favorite things to "smoke" (not sure if the Masterbuilt really qualifies as a smoker to be honest) are whole chicken wings, and pork belly burnt ends. Both are really forgiving.

I feel like I need more information on the smoking of the cream cheese here. Do I just throw the block on the grill and hope for the best??

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like I need more information on the smoking of the cream cheese here. Do I just throw the block on the grill and hope for the best??

Most people use foil or a cast iron skillet and not just directly on the smoker, you can also rub it with dry rub before you throw it on but otherwise yeah just the whole drat brick.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lumbermouth posted:

God drat the new gyro kit from the refrigerated section was a life saver tonight. Easy microwaveable dinner that tasted pretty good!

Sear the meat in a pan you philistine

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

Take it out of the foil package first

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

MarcusSA posted:

I got a new smoker and I read that the Co has decent brisket for smoking.

Has anyone bought one recently? This is my first time trying it.

Other great things to smoke:
Skin on Steelhead trout sides they sell at costco in the seafood section - pull it when it hits an internal temp of 140f https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe-1938429

PIT BEEF (top or bottom round) https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/amped-roast-beef-cheap-baltimore-pit-beef-recipe/

Smoking meat thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squee posted:

Most people use foil or a cast iron skillet and not just directly on the smoker, you can also rub it with dry rub before you throw it on but otherwise yeah just the whole drat brick.

Hell yeah adding that to the Costco run on Thursday.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Other great things to smoke:
Skin on Steelhead trout sides they sell at costco in the seafood section - pull it when it hits an internal temp of 140f https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe-1938429

PIT BEEF (top or bottom round) https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/amped-roast-beef-cheap-baltimore-pit-beef-recipe/

Smoking meat thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

Thanks!!

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

local store dropped Ling potstickers for Bibigo, huge downgrade

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Mine has both and I've gotta say I'm a much bigger fan of bibigo. The mini wontons own

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ling ling 4 life

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/why-costco-rotisserie-chicken-taste-soapy

pretty damning exposé about the true cost of cheap costco chicken. makes you wonder what kind of horrible poo poo they put in the hotdogs to keep costs down

what a bunch of monsters

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

pretty damning exposé about the true cost of cheap costco chicken. makes you wonder what kind of horrible poo poo they put in the hotdogs to keep costs down

what a bunch of monsters

why tf would I trust a magazine named "Bon Appe Tit"?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would characterize that as unusually tangible evidence of how chicken is sourced pretty grossly across the board. I still eat the stuff, but the poultry industry is nasty.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh no if I'm a super taster I might sense phosphates in my gutter priced chicken. True monsters.

(I don't get the rotisserie chicken because it's too salty anyways)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Soul Dentist posted:

(I don't get the rotisserie chicken because it's too salty anyways)

:hmmyes:

Any meat industry is gross as gently caress.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KakerMix posted:

:hmmyes:

Any meat industry is gross as gently caress.

I'm a meat industry

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That article sounds like the chinese food syndrome panic all over again. Pass me the chicken.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sometimes cheap meat tastes soapy, but I never really looked into why. Never seen it with chicken though, it's usually bottom shelf beef.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poverty goat posted:

what a bunch of monsters

Hasn't BA had a ton of "exposés" done on them for being extremely lovely to women and minorities? At least on their video media channels.

That article is also wild clickbait as it name drops David Chang in first few sentences as calling it "inedible" when he specifically referred to eating it cold because of to a lack of seasoning but they omit that detail until a minor mention at the bottom of the piece.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pentyne posted:

Hasn't BA had a ton of "exposés" done on them for being extremely lovely to women and minorities? At least on their video media channels.

Yes. Right around the time COVID was kicking off, and now Sohla and Claire and others are now on their own independent careers.

Brad still a dumbass.

Chris apparently still entrenched and the perpetrator.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah adding that to the Costco run on Thursday.

Thanks!!

Do yourself a favor and buy the Costco pork belly, cure it in a bag for a week or whatever, and smoke it. You will never buy regular bacon again.

I always use the guide on this ugly website. I usually buy the big rear end pork belly and freeze half of it for curing later, but I have also used the smaller belly that is pre-sliced a few inches thick and it worked fine.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pencilhands posted:

just a word of warning, you WILL violently rip rear end if you eat one.

don't threaten me with a good time

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Friend posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy the Costco pork belly, cure it in a bag for a week or whatever, and smoke it. You will never buy regular bacon again.

I always use the guide on this ugly website. I usually buy the big rear end pork belly and freeze half of it for curing later, but I have also used the smaller belly that is pre-sliced a few inches thick and it worked fine.

This man speaks the truth, and that site is a pro-click, even if it looks like it's from the 1990s.

I've made bacon following those instructions, and it has always turned out well. Far better than store-bought bacon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Friend posted:

Thanks! I’m gonna try that!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MarcusSA posted:

There's a bunch of different recipes out there. Some people coat the cream cheese with rub, I don't. I just smoke it at like 225 give or take (if I have something else at 250 going I'll just throw it on there), cut a cross hatch in the cream cheese and let it go for a while. Different blogs/articles will say 90 minutes, 2 hours, whatever. When it's done I pour a few different flavors of the Fisher and Wieser sauces over the top. Raspberry Chipolte is a classic, and we've done Roasted Pineapple Habanero and Pineapple Coconut Mango Tequilla Sauce as well.

There's lots of great bbq resources out there online. FB Groups, more YT channels than you have time to watch, but I'll tell you that Mr. Malcom Reed has never once done me wrong.

https://howtobbqright.com/

Anything I've made from one of his recipes has turned out great.

Make these, you won't regret it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 22, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

^^ lol, efb: and with the same video link no less

Friend posted:

That pre-sliced pork belly is PERFECT for making pork belly burnt ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

There's a bunch of different recipes out there. Some people coat the cream cheese with rub, I don't. I just smoke it at like 225 give or take (if I have something else at 250 going I'll just throw it on there), cut a cross hatch in the cream cheese and let it go for a while. Different blogs/articles will say 90 minutes, 2 hours, whatever.

There's lots of great bbq resources out there online. FB Groups, more YT channels than you have time to watch, but I'll tell you that Mr. Malcom Reed has never once done me wrong.

https://howtobbqright.com/

Anything I've made from one of his recipes has turned out great.

Make these, you won't regret it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k

I’m gonna get so fat.

Also so broke from this Costco run Thursday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MarcusSA posted:

I’m gonna get so fat.

Also so broke from this Costco run Thursday.

There's a joke I heard somewhere, probably here. Once you get to a certain age you either start smoking meats or get real big into like WW2 History or something. Like some sort of switch when you get into your 40's. It's going to get worse. You'll start collecting cooking gadgets, experimenting with things, looking for an excuse to cook things on the traeger. Hopefully the griddle bug doesn't get you and then you start going down the blackstone path of madness where it's smash burgers, hibachi and hashbrowns. Before you know it you have a back patio with 4 or 5 different ways to cook or smoke things and the madness takes over.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This is still a good deal for :ca: residents. Just those wine glasses alone are usually $40/pair.

https://www.costco.com/decoy-two-bottle-wine-gift-crate-ca-only.product.100465560.html

not as good as the Dom Perignon 2012 deal last Wed that was crushed within a few hours. :smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll never go hungry at least!

As an aside my dad owns a slaughterhouse so I’ve already asked for nice briskets lol.

I get steaks and burgers all the time but I’m gonna start getting larger cuts to smoke.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

poverty goat posted:

what a bunch of monsters
I’m gonna go ahead and guess that if the soapy taste is only happening to an incredibly tiny minority of chickens, it’s not about a systemic issue at the chicken farm or processing plant or anything else. It’s probably occasional busy kitchen randos in the back of a store who clean something and then forget to change their gloves before grabbing a chicken. :ms:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Ayndin posted:

The nutrition breakdown says there’s some sugar alcohols but the ingredients don’t say which. Could be it. I was glad there was no erythritol with the recent news, but the choice may be heart or fart.

Could also be the fiber, but due to said GI issues I try to eat tons of fiber in my weird diet so 25% RDA would be less of a huge jump than for most.

I took a look, it is listed in the ingredient statement; glycerin is a sugar alcohol, aka glycerol.

Also that much fiber in a small amount of food can definitely cause gas, especially since it's from inulin. Inulin is fermented in the gut.

Bright Bart posted:

I should know this but are whey protein products still wildly off the mark when it comes to stated content?

What do you mean?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Coqf6tWJ2se/

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

What do you mean?

I recall hearing a lot about supplements companies being found to mislabel their protein products. Either using comcentrate instead of isolated or outright having less.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is the height of anecdata, but sometime in the last few years I started disliking chicken for what sounds like similar reasons. This isn't regarding Costco chicken, just chicken in general. It started tasting weird and chemical to me, and while I've been able to be polite and force myself to eat it when it is served to me, only a couple time in the last year or so have I eaten chicken I actually enjoyed.

This could be entirely a me thing since others haven't noticed it with the same meals, but it seems similar.

For what it's worth, cilantro tastes like soap to me. :shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

every now and then i get something with chicken in it that, for the lack of a better way to say it, tastes like _bird_. little jones got some paw patrol nuggets years ago that were that way, and they were vile. i've had lunchmeat chicken that was that way, too. i wanna say i've also had lunchmeat turkey that was that way, but it's mostly chicken. same story with chicken meatballs. i don't know if it's the bird equivalent of boar taint or what, but it's foul (haha im funny) when you get something that has the flavor

normal chicken breast, bbq, drumsticks, and all that have always been fine so that's good at least

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bright Bart posted:

I should know this but are whey protein products still wildly off the mark when it comes to stated content?

Also, free samples seem suspicious. There has to be a catch.

Costco sells Optimum Nutrition and that stuff is always legit since it's from one of the largest dairy companies in the world. I would trust no other brand.

I remember when the goons were all about American Pure Whey and a bunch of us were wondering how it could be so translucent, so a goon who worked in a lab ran it through an assay and found it was like 90% dextrose. Google fully refunded all of us, I got my money back but my gains are lost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

every now and then i get something with chicken in it that, for the lack of a better way to say it, tastes like _bird_.

Did you mean to put another word there, because I have no idea how to parse that. Every chicken I've ever eaten has tasted like a bird because chickens are birds.