Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

arsenicCatnip posted:

Weird. looking at screen caps I was definitely thinking of Will of the Thousands but I thought it was on one the Titan rigs and Xol was coming out of the ocean.

There's a giant creature that swims around the rigs on Titan, so that could messed with your memory as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Holoprojector messages are the 'this could have been an email' of the Destiny story. Substantially less annoying if you have an SSD I guess but for last gen console players it's an opportunity to check facebook I guess.

Also Amanda being dead is going to be the new "Cayde is dead, but has audio in this strike / story mission" after they redid a bunch of the strikes to remove his audio... and replaced it with Amanda.

I get worked by the holoprojector at the farm because of those mis-aligned brick textures.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Make crucible matches be in public spaces / patrol zones :getin:
GTA5 kind of had that, where you could choose a spot on the overworld and then place a bunch of weapon / PvP / scenery spawns on the level editor, then save it as a deathmatch 'map.'

Maybe because of that, I used to think based on how in D1 the patrol areas and levels seemed to overlap a lot that they were doing something similar, but then there was the discussion a while back about how nope, the levels are pretty much just a copy of the relevant patrol area packaged up as its own thing.

(How this works with the Exodus Crash strike where you can pass through failsafe's area and join pubbies in ongoing public events, I don't know).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I really liked Titan. It was so small and reminded me of a horror movie.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Bobby Deluxe posted:

GTA5 kind of had that, where you could choose a spot on the overworld and then place a bunch of weapon / PvP / scenery spawns on the level editor, then save it as a deathmatch 'map.'

Maybe because of that, I used to think based on how in D1 the patrol areas and levels seemed to overlap a lot that they were doing something similar, but then there was the discussion a while back about how nope, the levels are pretty much just a copy of the relevant patrol area packaged up as its own thing.

(How this works with the Exodus Crash strike where you can pass through failsafe's area and join pubbies in ongoing public events, I don't know).

My understanding of strikes that start in patrol zones is that you'll eventually just hit a loading zone and be brought into your own instance. For Lake of Shadows it's when you reach the house.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Yeah the Omnigul strike has that where you can just be grinding a public event and three dudes burst out on the scene.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really see why she'd be in lake of shadows either.

Does the phrase "Operation Easy Listening" ring any bells?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why didnt she just transmat away? Mara transmatted 20 feet away from her corpse to a field at the farm. Every single conversation ends with people just transmatting away.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Tried a Legendary Lost Sector The Conflux there at 1806 Light, loving miserable experience.

Strand surges from the barricades just vanishing into broken floor textures.

This was not playtested on any level.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

GhostDog posted:

What's a reasonable level for a more casual player to attempt legend lost sectors? I tried my first one today at 1805. The first few champions I could whittle down, but the boss together with another champion plus ads... not so much.

It sorta depends on your goal (finish one or a few for exotics, farm for exotics, get a flawless clear for the triumph) and what you have available to solve the loadout puzzle. I wouldn’t really farm until you can find one and be at a level where you’re knocking them out in under 5 minutes or so. Some can be optimized to get runs in like 2 minutes, but probably not below 1830.

The ones in rotation vary in difficulty thjs season as well. From memory, you can probably abuse/optimize the EDZ (quarry/skydock), nessus (conflux), and dreaming city ones. I haven’t spent time in the Neptune ones to have an opinion. Upthread I posted about my solo flawless Chamber of Starlight (filter to my posts I guess) at like 1776 or so, using Le Monarque. From memory if surges and champ options haven’t screwed things up much, the ones above should sorta be doable below level, there are places to isolate champions and semi cheese the mechanics. I don’t have a good feel for how much damage you do at 1805, but having your heavy match the surge is sorta key, and different bosses have different health pools. The colossus in conflux is a bullet sponge, while the witch in chamber of starlight just kinda falls over I think.

If you’re just wanting an exotic or three, have a good understanding of champ mechanics, have the right exotics, and are willing to abuse the map a bit, you can definitely make a run of it, and I’d be happy to help with loadout and a tutorial run through of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

uwaeve posted:

I haven’t spent time in the Neptune ones to have an opinion

The Thrilladrome is mostly doable up until the final boss if you can get past the initial hydra and past the room with 2(!) overload champs. Then the boss arena has no floor and barely any cover and it's probably going to be awful on master. Remember that if you don't disturb the game playing goblins then they turn into hobgoblins that drop craniums at the boss

Hydroponics is probably the worst lost sector in the game, there are vast numbers of extremely meaty enemies and you aren't allowed to move forward until you kill all of them. The final room has nowhere to hide and constant spawns, but it's possible to get back up the entry shaft and whittle them down slowly

Gilded precept is by far the easiest, you can approach it like any non-Neomuna lost sector because the enemies all spawn in the same direction and you can retreat to cover

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Majere posted:

Why didnt she just transmat away? Mara transmatted 20 feet away from her corpse to a field at the farm. Every single conversation ends with people just transmatting away.

think about how long you have to hold the button down to go to orbit

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

arsenicCatnip posted:

think about how long you have to hold the button down to go to orbit

people have transmatted mid-conversation without any kind of outward effort or indication multiple times

gently caress, amanda did it herself earlier in this season's story after chatting it up with a tipsy mithrax at the farm

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
As a friendly reminder: The Thunderlord with the catalyst is a beast of a weapon. It melts overload champs and does consistent damage to bosses.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

After getting rinsed repeatedly by threshers and turrets this expansion due to the framerate thing, it's extra funny that the arms dealer strike now spawns like ten turrets at a time.
I don't think I've ever gone from full health to dead as fast before.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The more I think about the story issues with the veil, the more I think Bungie should just pull a Mass Effect 3 and patch the forthcoming exotic quest that promises to explain what it is into Lightfall retroactively.

As it stands it makes no goddamn sense, and having to wait 3-6 months for an answer (and still having it come after the ending of the campaign chronologically) isn't good enough.

Probably somewhere after the first time we fail to stop Calus, but by the final cutscene we should know what it is, or it just has no payoff and not in a "Ooh, Destiny mysterious" way.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't understand why people are looking at the Veil in Avalon and going "ohhhh!" because I don't see the significance at all

I am still stumped by what it means for the plot

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of the concept artists explained* it on twitter, it's as clear as the exo traveller's origins are when Luke Smith said they were settled.

* he did not explain it

e:

https://twitter.com/d_goryainov/status/1637952721927172099?t=mhvEgeGr5Qocsley1pe6jQ&s=19

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 22, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Immortal Banner

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Maybe dumb question but where is the rest of this seasonal story stuff? I feel like I beat Calus and went to Rohan's funeral and then the story was over.

Kith posted:

Yes. You also get more heavy in addition to more special.

Alright, this is good to know, 'cause as I've done more and more difficult stuff it's starting to feel like all primary weapons feel kind of underpowered. Maybe intentionally so?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bleck posted:

Maybe dumb question but where is the rest of this seasonal story stuff? I feel like I beat Calus and went to Rohan's funeral and then the story was over.

There is some story content in the post-campaign exotic quests- you can now walk into the room Rohan's funeral was held in (behind the room Rohan and Osiris hung out in) and there's an NPC in there. Also Nimbus should have new quests now

Other than that, it just kinda falls to a stop at that point, which is one reason everyone is so mad at it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't understand why people are looking at the Veil in Avalon and going "ohhhh!" because I don't see the significance at all

I am still stumped by what it means for the plot

That drat ontology. The tides and seismoclasms of reality itself, man; it just really fleshes out that ever-flowing wellspring that is the Veil.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I was all ready to post a defense about the difficulty level of the legendary campaign and then I got to the final two missions. Lol. Those are hard fights.

no checkpoint on phase two of calus is incredible bullshit

any calus tips that don't devolve into full cheese?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

I was all ready to post a defense about the difficulty level of the legendary campaign and then I got to the final two missions. Lol. Those are hard fights.

no checkpoint on phase two of calus is incredible bullshit

phase 1: clear some space on a side platform, make sure tormentors are dead before you push him (apparently you can gently caress with their AI by moving around the room and they occasionally fall to their deaths) and apparently for phase 2, grapple around a bunch?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

finna go pierce this veil, idk about you guys *shotgun racking noise*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dodgeblan posted:

The big tip is that he's extremely weak to strand, so try to hit him with that. Beyond that, stay mobile and use the grapple liberally- it lets you move faster than anything else in the arena, so you can escape a bad situation and get in a few shots before your pursuers catch up

Leviathan's Breath is very effective against him, especially if you have the catalyst

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
lest you think I'm a bad gamer I'm playing with a newbie who is pretty bad, which is making it extra hard

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bleck posted:

Alright, this is good to know, 'cause as I've done more and more difficult stuff it's starting to feel like all primary weapons feel kind of underpowered. Maybe intentionally so?

One correction. The Seasonal story stuff is Defiance Battlegrounds. It was delivered each week for the first 4 weeks of the season and is all wrapped up now.

The Campaign story stuff on Neomuna is on hold because a portion of the campaign (the epilogue explaining what the veil is and setting the 'Where did the Witness go?' mystery in motion) is not being released until next season. For reasons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/lightfall-crucible-update

A whole lot of words about future changes to crucible and going deep into matchmaking theory and math. Clash is being removed from quickplay. Rotator is getting split into "sweat" and "chaos" playlists. The IB Rift mode will be tweaked so it's not so hostile to people who don't go hard in pvp. There will be a returning map in season 21 (Meltdown), a brand new map in season 22 set in the vex network, and a returning map in season 23 (Citadel). Crucible Labs will be trying out variants of Countdown. A new mode called Checkmate that includes extensive tweaks to core sandbox components (season 22)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One correction. The Seasonal story stuff is Defiance Battlegrounds. It was delivered each week for the first 4 weeks of the season and is all wrapped up now.

The Campaign story stuff on Neomuna is on hold because a portion of the campaign (the epilogue explaining what the veil is and setting the 'Where did the Witness go?' mystery in motion) is not being released until next season. For reasons.

I've not played Lightfall at all yet, was planning on jumping in later, taking a bit of a break from D2 cause I figured it'd make it feel a bit fresher so maybe I'm missing something but this seems incredibly short for a seasonal thing? I played when Witch Queen came out and I suppose it's hard to remember which bits were Witch Queen and which were the seasonal stuff, it was the "going into the mindscape" battlegrounds stuff right? Crow killed the taken psions or whatever rather than having them be tortured by the interrogation methods and such? I feel like that went on way longer than 4 weeks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Lightfall and Beyond Light are both expansions where COVID was felt. It's a collection of ideas that were cut from WQ which makes it even more impressive that people liked WQ as much as they did. I have a feeling TFS will be good because Lightfall was so much of an afterthought. It's happened before in gaming development cycles (Lightning Returns was a good video game, but it followed a second game that was pieced with unused levels and discarded concepts from the first game).

That said so much has been rewritten and so many old legacy are biting it so quickly (including the not planned for and sudden desire to see Zavala heroic sacrifice it), it feels like the game has been handed over to new people and they feel like their character ideas are better than the old crew, so it's time to sweep aside the old cast and make room for the new one.

They do occasionally make a great character; Savathun's personification was excellent, Crow has been almost all good, and the more we see our Megamind antagonist the more I like him. But a Destiny where (a recast) Ikora is the only character remaining from D1, warminds are done and wrapped up, the Hive have no remaining personality, etc is not really a future I'm excited for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

thebardyspoon posted:

I've not played Lightfall at all yet, was planning on jumping in later, taking a bit of a break from D2 cause I figured it'd make it feel a bit fresher so maybe I'm missing something but this seems incredibly short for a seasonal thing? I played when Witch Queen came out and I suppose it's hard to remember which bits were Witch Queen and which were the seasonal stuff, it was the "going into the mindscape" battlegrounds stuff right? Crow killed the taken psions or whatever rather than having them be tortured by the interrogation methods and such? I feel like that went on way longer than 4 weeks.

Undying, Hunt, Risen, and Defiance were all 'First season of the year' and all had the same ~3-4 Weeks of Narrative. It's normal for the 1st season to be skimpy as heck which is why they were included free with purchase of Shadowkeep and Beyond Light

They cost an extra tenner in WQ and LF because they could! But they also have a good grip of content other than Seasonal Activity which can't really be said about Undying and Hunt.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
WAS Hunt free with BL? I know Shadowkeep included A Season (I bought it during Arrivals so that was my freebie) but I could have sworn Hunt cost $10 same as any other which was half the reason people were so mad about it at the time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

also, regarding first season content, while we're not quite done the seasonal content, how do y'all feel about Vox Obscura vs. Avalon?

Difficulty gripes aside, Avalon feels like a clear winner to me. Visually more interesting, more varied, no timer. I like Wave Frames more then Glaives, but I feel like Vexcalibur will probably be more useful in the long term.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

PERMACAV 50 posted:

WAS Hunt free with BL? I know Shadowkeep included A Season (I bought it during Arrivals so that was my freebie) but I could have sworn Hunt cost $10 same as any other which was half the reason people were so mad about it at the time.

It was not, neither was Season of the Risen with Witch Queen.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Oxyclean posted:

also, regarding first season content, while we're not quite done the seasonal content, how do y'all feel about Vox Obscura vs. Avalon?

Difficulty gripes aside, Avalon feels like a clear winner to me. Visually more interesting, more varied, no timer. I like Wave Frames more then Glaives, but I feel like Vexcalibur will probably be more useful in the long term.

vox obscura was straight rear end, legendary avalon is a dick kick but it's a way more fun mission mechanically.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Oh dang you're right! Yeah that had to have contributed to why everyone thought Year 4's first season really sucked...

It's such a bad idea to sell the annual expansion without a season pass. At least, it's a bad idea to sell it while it's NEW. It's so annoying for people to buy the Current Expansion and then immediately be blasted with a 'You do not have access to this Brand New Content' page.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think it's even fair to compare the two. I get that they are an Exotic Engram icon on the map that gives a pinnacle each week, but apart from that you may as well be comparing Glimmer Extraction to Spire of the Watcher!

Whisper, Zero Hour and Vox Obscura are pretty comparable 'experiences' although they range hugely in quality, but Avalon and Seraph Shield are two of a kind with nothing else quite like them in the game at the moment.

It's funny that people use to describe Whisper and Zero Hour as 'basically like a Dungeon' because Avalon could literally be a Dungeon if it had its own loot table and gave rewards after each encounter.

Seraph doesn't follow the Dungeon Template quite as neatly but I guess it does sort of have three chapters, and ends with a big ol' boss with almost-Mechanics

Dead Messenger is, IMHO, leagues beyond Vexcalibur since it's a Better Version of a wave frame. Vexcalibur feels like a side-grade to the legendary glaive options in the game.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i legit enjoy most of avalon, if the power delta was even slightly lower, and the final boss' hp count was nerfed, it'd be great fun. maybe do something about those satanic double wyvern spawns during gambit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the first encounter, where you're ripping apart vex by the dozens with the broken add-clear mechanic of your choice--weaver's trance, starfire, volatile rounds, fighting lion, osteo, whatever--while handling the code-input mechanic and pushing out with abilities to read each sequence, is legit more fun than any encounter in the campaign.