Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Warbird posted:

Failing that, consolidate to iCloud or Onedrive (presuming the latter offers “here but not here” functionality like it does for Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-mac-529f6d53-e572-4922-a585-e7a318c135f0

Onedrive for Mac supports files on demand albeit in a bit more rudimentary way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

My wife is currently using a 2017 MBP and is tired of her computer dying after an extended period of non-use. She says she 100% shuts it down, but I'm more inclined to think she closes the lid before the computer 100% shuts down and it goes to sleep, and dies by the time she gets back to it. It's her computer and I don't really mess with it. Just so I'm not crazy, there isn't a setting that keeps the computer up doing stuff in the background when it's shut down right?

MacBooks aren't Windows laptops - their power management is usually pretty amazing. I never shutdown my MacBook and never come back to a dead battery, so I'm inclined to think there's some wonky energy saver settings turned on, or a rogue background app doing something behind the scenes.

You might want to start by poking around in the energy saver settings

It may be worth reviewing what apps are automatically opening when she starts her computer as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Just yeet the entire affair on the NAS, you have everything you need so long as you have the disks to accommodate it. If not, disks have largely returned to a normal $/TB ratio. (Thanks for nothing, crypto idiots) Synology drive does what you want from anywhere if you configure it to do so. Failing that, consolidate to iCloud or Onedrive (presuming the latter offers “here but not here” functionality like it does for Windows.

Oh yeah, this is a good idea that I should have thought of. I can just use all the sharing and coauthoring poo poo with the webapps in the rare even that I actually need that and the other person even knows that it's possible (after I showed them two months ago).

I do wish I could get the finder search working with the synology SMB shares though. :(

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a sound question.

I use a 2017 15" Macbook Pro on whatever the latest OS version is. Audio output is via headphone jack to my amplifier and speakers. I don't know how to deal with comparative sound volume between applications - I think the system output volume (~45%) and the amplifier volume (~90%) are irrelevant because changing either of those would affect all applications.

My problem is that if I have the output volume such that Spotify is at the right level when set to say 80% application volume, youtube videos have to be so incredibly low that it becomes hard to adjust them - say 5%. All the while, output of stupid things that don't have volume controls like Instagram (also in browser, like youtibe) are deafeningly loud.

How the hell am I meant to normalise volume between applications?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Short answer, you don't.

Longer answer, you can look at this thread: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/138650/audio-output-limiter-for-mac-not-volume-control

You would install a fancy sound app, pipe all your sound to it, have it do some compression or whatever, and then pipe the output back to your headphone jack. Will increase cpu usage, sound will be a little laggier, and may introduce some "crackles" or "pops" into the sound occasionally.

I was unable to find any other way in a quick search. There may be some dac's that could do it but that would require a permanent dongle attached to your system.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but I use SoundSource by Rogue Amoeba to control volume on a per app basis, route sound per device, control my speakers connected via optical using system volume keys, etc.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

I’ve never noticed any audio degradation or lag. They also make other audio apps like Loopback that are helpful.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
eqMac is a subscription utility that claims to deal with this. It offers a demo. Do not believe their lies, it is buggy/crashy/beta/poorly supported and cancelling the sub if you make it is made extremely difficult after you try. Didn’t link it, but in case anyone finds it wanted to give warning.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have a sound question.

I use a 2017 15" Macbook Pro on whatever the latest OS version is. Audio output is via headphone jack to my amplifier and speakers. I don't know how to deal with comparative sound volume between applications - I think the system output volume (~45%) and the amplifier volume (~90%) are irrelevant because changing either of those would affect all applications.

My problem is that if I have the output volume such that Spotify is at the right level when set to say 80% application volume, youtube videos have to be so incredibly low that it becomes hard to adjust them - say 5%. All the while, output of stupid things that don't have volume controls like Instagram (also in browser, like youtibe) are deafeningly loud.

Soundsource is great for something like this, but you could also try a free browser extension for mastering audio levels like Volume Master. This is one of those features built into Windows (like windows snapping) that macOS needs a third party app to replicate.

Edit: or BackgroundMusic

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 14, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

tuyop posted:

Oh yeah, this is a good idea that I should have thought of. I can just use all the sharing and coauthoring poo poo with the webapps in the rare even that I actually need that and the other person even knows that it's possible (after I showed them two months ago).

I do wish I could get the finder search working with the synology SMB shares though. :(

That should work but may require a step or two you haven’t done yet: https://youtu.be/TCLRp3KHV_M

I don’t personally use it, but if you’re looking for finder integration it should do what you want. Not sure if it would hook into drive/drive sync though. Regardless if you set this up you can at worst use the DSM UI to do it.

Also drive sync set up should you need it: https://youtu.be/iUxuiCLuj70

Note that if you have dinked around with Drive before you’ll likely need to convert your home dir in Drive to the “new” version so you can sync it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to go with the Chrome extension for now, since it seems the simplest one for my use case. I also found a setting within Spotify for the sound level which I set to 'loud' from 'normal', though it's not made a lot of difference.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

obi_ant posted:

My wife is currently using a 2017 MBP and is tired of her computer dying after an extended period of non-use. She says she 100% shuts it down, but I'm more inclined to think she closes the lid before the computer 100% shuts down and it goes to sleep, and dies by the time she gets back to it. It's her computer and I don't really mess with it. Just so I'm not crazy, there isn't a setting that keeps the computer up doing stuff in the background when it's shut down right?

LTT had something about this a few weeks ago where there is often some “wake on LAN”-ish setting that gets turned on in lots of laptops that may be the cause. This was in reference to windows machines iirc but would be worth looking into as I want to say Mac stuff did come up as well.

I think this was it. I hate hate hate hate hate the naming and thumbnail scheme he used but look into the sleep mode stuff he mentions here and do some digging: https://youtu.be/OHKKcd3sx2c

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 14, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm looking for a new RSS client with one specific feature: Making custom filters.

In readkit, I can add filters to a folder so it can do things like exclude keywords in the title or the body, or sources, etc.
I have not found any other RSS reader that can do that, but now they are on a subscription model.

I have previously tried reeder, netnewswire, and about a million other ones, but haven’t found one with this feature yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Host a freshRSS instance and hook reeder up to that?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

my work computer is an m1 macbook. I like to move around during the day, sometimes I'm docked at my desk and sometimes I'm just using the laptop directly

my issue is that I like natural scrolling with the trackpad but can't stand it with a scroll wheel. since there's no way to set this separately I end up having to open the settings and toggle this any time I dock or undock

I'm trying to write a python script to toggle this so instead of having to open up the menus every time I can just call the script from the terminal. I'm calling a subprocess that sets this value like this:

code:

defaults write -g com.apple.swipescrolldirection -bool false

when I run the script it appears to be changing the setting, but the scroll direction doesn't actually change. I can open the settings UI and see the change reflected there, but for whatever reason the scroll behavior stays the same

any ideas what might be causing this?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There are a few apps that separate direction based on input (pad v mouse) but I’d be interested in hearing more about a code based solution so I don’t have to make sure the Logitech app is running whenever I use a mouse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BetterTouchTool (a serious must have for any mac user - three finger swipe gestures for opening/closing/moving between tabs in Finder/Browser are great) will you let invert scrolling on a mouse.

Logi Options+ and BetterMouse ($5) will let you swap scrolling as well.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I appreciate the suggestions, and if it was my own computer I'd definitely be using bettertouchtool. unfortunately all 3rd party software needs to be vetted and approved by IT, so that will be my last resort

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
SteerMouse will do that for you, and also lets you change/disable the scroll acceleration for mice too

and can map the buttons on mice without having to install the (usually lovely) manufacturer's Mac drivers/utilities

Edit: ^ Ah. Sucks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Asleep Style posted:

my work computer is an m1 macbook. I like to move around during the day, sometimes I'm docked at my desk and sometimes I'm just using the laptop directly

my issue is that I like natural scrolling with the trackpad but can't stand it with a scroll wheel. since there's no way to set this separately I end up having to open the settings and toggle this any time I dock or undock

I'm trying to write a python script to toggle this so instead of having to open up the menus every time I can just call the script from the terminal. I'm calling a subprocess that sets this value like this:

code:
when I run the script it appears to be changing the setting, but the scroll direction doesn't actually change. I can open the settings UI and see the change reflected there, but for whatever reason the scroll behavior stays the same

I am far from certain, but I think you also have to either kill the underlying process before you make the change, or restart it afterwards. E.g. see this SO post and the link in the answer.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Asleep Style posted:

code:

I think you need to trigger the relevant apps/processes to re-read from the preferences file after making the change. Log out/in or restart should do this, but I assume defeats the purpose of doing this via a script. What I've seen people do before is run a killall command or two after changing the preference, but this has mainly been with Dock related preferences. I'm not sure what you need to kill for this change (if it's even possible). Maybe cfprefsd and/or Finder.

Another option may be to write an AppleScript that automates actually checking the desired option in the System Preferences UI. That way, whatever the preferences app is doing under the hood when changing the scroll preference will still be triggered. You'll probably need to allow the script app the "control your computer" in Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility in order for this to work.

Some starting points for the AppleScript option (old question, but some of the answers are more recent):
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/153243/changing-trackpad-scroll-direction-with-applescript-in-yosemite
https://github.com/kaushikb1996/mac-inverse-click/blob/master/mouse.applescript

Asleep Style posted:

I appreciate the suggestions, and if it was my own computer I'd definitely be using bettertouchtool. unfortunately all 3rd party software needs to be vetted and approved by IT, so that will be my last resort

On my desktop I currently use LinearMouse for another purpose, but it is also able to manage different scroll direction preferences for trackpad vs mouse. On my laptop I've used Scroll Reverser to configure different scroll direction preferences for trackpad vs mouse. I mention these 2 as they're open source, so you can poke around the source to see how they are achieving the scroll reversing features. Unfortunately, it looks like they're actually intercepting and reversing all relevant input events, rather than just changing and reloading preferences.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I figure this is the best place to ask this, but is anyone here running Windows 11 (or 10) via Parallels, but off of an external drive?

I was thinking of running Windows 11 via Parallels off of an nVME External SSD, but wasn’t sure how much of a performance loss this is vs. using the internal drive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask this, but is anyone here running Windows 11 (or 10) via Parallels, but off of an external drive?

I was thinking of running Windows 11 via Parallels off of an nVME External SSD, but wasn’t sure how much of a performance loss this is vs. using the internal drive.

Yeah I use an old Samsung t5 sometime. Like for playing big pc games that won’t fit on the local vm. I can’t tell a difference between the local and removable-drive vm in practice.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I missing something with trying to share content from my MacBook to my Apple TV? I have media sharing turned on on the MacBook, same wifi, same AppleID, but it doesn’t show on my Apple TV. Is it the fact that I’m trying to use a video file played in QuickTime? Did I miss the entire point of sharing somehow?

I suppose I could use Plex but I assumed homesharing was like an Apple native version of that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just updated to Ventura 13.2.1 from the previous major release and now every time I reboot I get spammed with this poo poo:

How do I tell it to gently caress off?

The notification about mono in particular is never ending. If I don't touch my laptop then it'll keep spamming me with that same message. It only stops when I click on the notification and then turn off mono from background access or whatever. The next time I boot up the laptop I get hit with the same messages again.

e: Also how do I disable this iOS inspired smart charging feature? Apparently my laptop has been sitting at 80% battery all day because the AlGoriThM has decided to not charge it up to full. I get why I'd want this on my phone I guess, but on my laptop I expect my battery to charge up to 100% when I plug it in because who knows when I need to unplug it for the day. There is no option in the battery options menu to disable this feature permanently.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 19, 2023

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Also how do I disable this iOS inspired smart charging feature? Apparently my laptop has been sitting at 80% battery all day because the AlGoriThM has decided to not charge it up to full. I get why I'd want this on my phone I guess, but on my laptop I expect my battery to charge up to 100% when I plug it in because who knows when I need to unplug it for the day. There is no option in the battery options menu to disable this feature permanently.
System Preferences -> Battery -> Battery Health (i) -> Optimized Battery Charging -> off

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

nexxai posted:

System Preferences -> Battery -> Battery Health (i) -> Optimized Battery Charging -> off

Oh, that's not intuitive at all to have to click on the (i) to see/edit more options.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just updated to Ventura 13.2.1 from the previous major release and now every time I reboot I get spammed with this poo poo:

How do I tell it to gently caress off?
There’s a MacRumors post about getting rid of them, but it didn’t work for me so YMMV. Hopefully it’s annoying enough people at Apple to be a bug that actually gets fixed eventually.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought I had malware when I started seeing those, lol.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mono is caused by a virus, yes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TACD posted:

There’s a MacRumors post about getting rid of them, but it didn’t work for me so YMMV. Hopefully it’s annoying enough people at Apple to be a bug that actually gets fixed eventually.

Telling people to delete random poo poo off their computer is bad advice what the christ.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Telling people to delete random poo poo off their computer is bad advice what the christ.

I once did some tech support for an office decades ago and the secretary asked me to come in to repair her computer because it was slow. What had actually happened was she had inputted her credit card into some Russian spyware popups and she was trying to fix it by using regedit to delete anything that “looked suspicious.” She had been deleting at random essentially. For the rest of my life I’ll remember that feeling when I saw she had regedit open.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s amazing how the ‘I’m not good with computers’ crowd can swing from ‘I don’t know how to left click the ok button, can you do it for me?’ to ‘I’ve opened a program I shouldn’t even know about and I’m just going hog wild deleting things from it’.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Violator posted:

I once did some tech support for an office decades ago and the secretary asked me to come in to repair her computer because it was slow. What had actually happened was she had inputted her credit card into some Russian spyware popups and she was trying to fix it by using regedit to delete anything that “looked suspicious.” She had been deleting at random essentially. For the rest of my life I’ll remember that feeling when I saw she had regedit open.
this whips

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
edit: sorry, wrong thread

olives black fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 22, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I would like to know why a rando end user on a corporate computer was even able to access that in the first place

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I would like to know why a rando end user on a corporate computer was even able to access that in the first place

A rando person who helps at a local office is not typically coming into an environment with domain controllers nor would we be getting paid an amount worth it to set up such a thing.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Violator posted:

When I was a dim adolescent, my PC was a slow piece of poo poo with Windows XP and a 20 gig hard drive. Space was always a concern, so at some point I decided to live dangerously and I started deleting poo poo from C:\Windows because, hey, that's a huge rear end folder and I bet I don't need all of those files. I read somewhere that you can delete printer drivers without much issue, and then I figured there must be other stuff I can get rid of, so I kept hacking away at it whenever I started running out of space. Eventually I trimmed my Windows install down to a respectable 100 MB before it stopped working.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

But I bet she didn’t have a dozen notifications spamming her desktop when she logged in, so it’s impossible to say if this is good or bad

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

This was a small construction company whose computers were basically equivalent to a mom and pop setup. Everything was on-site, very basic local networking between a handful of computers within walking distance, equipment was probably based on whatever Best Buy had on sale, etc. I think it was 2005ish.

I did a short stint helping a few small businesses I interfaced with fix their computer issues as low paying favors. Typically cleaning spyware, installing anti virus, setting up file backups, rebooting printers when they quit working, etc. All simple crap. But I eventually asked myself “what the gently caress are you doing?” and got out of that because I hated it.

Grassy Knowles posted:

A rando person who helps at a local office is not typically coming into an environment with domain controllers nor would we be getting paid an amount worth it to set up such a thing.

Yeah.

Violator fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
MS Outlook suddenly became totally non-functional. About noon two days ago I received my last e-mail via MS Outlook 365 for Mac. Took about 24 hours for me to discover something was wrong. I just thought it was a slow day.

People were still sending e-mails, they just haven’t hit my inbox. I only discovered something was wrong when I saw a shitload of unsent mail in my Outbox, about 24 hours later. My e-mail host is clueless, Apple is clueless, and Microsoft is clueless. The tech support guy at my e-mail host said it’s a known problem, but he could provide no help. Apple and MS of course only offer the option of, “tell our community about your issue,” which is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Anybody out there have any insight? Anybody having the same problem?

I can access mail via web, but this is a business e-mail account, and that’s a poor workaround at best. It’s like working with boxing gloves on.

Latest-gen MBP. All OS and apps are current versions. Didn’t do anything out of the ordinary on the day the problem appeared. No software updates, nothing. Just came back from lunch and Outlook had died.