Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

They will all drive over mines anyway.

Maybe that's what they are actually for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Fuckin hell, might as well continue with human wave attacks instead of wasting time and resources on those poo poo boxes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I loving hate when I'm right.

Nobody wins when I'm right.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Karate Bastard posted:

They will all drive over mines anyway.
This, if Vuhledar repeats, they will just drive over mines or will be destroyed by artillery.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

And thats even assuming that a working 115mm shell fired from an t55 can penetrate an active defence system on a modern ifv.

I mean the 100mm on the T-55 did have APFSDS rounds and could probably punch through the sides or rear of a modern tank and I don't think any of the western tanks being sent have any active protection systems ( and even if they did they're more tailored for protection against ATGMs and RPGs anyway). It'd also be more than enough to gently caress up any APC or IFV.

But the main issue is that the pictured are unmodernized T-54/T-55Bs. Like not even the 80s modernized T-55AM/AMVs. The real question is if they'll be able to hit anything since they don't have laser rangefinders or even passive night vision so have fun trying to hit something at a kilometer plus with a sight and stadiametric rangefinder especially at night. Can't use the gun fired ATGMs they developed either (which they would have a bunch on since the BMP-3 uses the same missile).

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 22, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638526354953043968
Russian lying never fails to amuse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr Teatime posted:

Buddy it says HEAT resistant right on the can.

NATO spent billions developing armour capable of withstanding HEAT rounds.
Russians used HEAT resistant paint.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

NATO spent billions developing armour capable of withstanding HEAT rounds.
Russians used HEAT resistant paint.

Perkele, time to bring out the molotovs and logs just like in the Winter War to deal with Russia's ancient tanks

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

zone posted:

Perkele, time to bring out the molotovs and logs just like in the Winter War to deal with Russia's ancient tanks

Just leave some sausage soup out to deal with any infantry advances.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

something exploded in bay of Sevastopol this night

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638562934988103684

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/KvotheTheArcane/status/1638314841487147008?s=20

Russia: "providing soup without poop is a red line"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

Oh my.

Also looks like some AA fire in the background so who knows.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 22, 2023

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

numptyboy posted:

They will need sitting ducks for artillery I think too.

In summary, a 75 year-old obsolete tank rushedi into service with poor optics, poor situational awareness and probably poor comms manned by a crew with barely any training and a command that doesn't give a poo poo.

It may just be to provide something to units who lost all their proper artillery and need something to lob shells at that town they have been trying to take for eight months.
Nothing relevant is actually hit but at least the illusion is there of the enemy being attacked. Whenever the Russians do something like this it's graft, a Potemkin solution or usually both.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1638449754324586499
Chris_O with another excellent thread, detailing the experiences of a conscript from Tatarstan who was part of the Alga volunteer battalion that attacked Vuhledar. The government was supposed to pay for their equipment but the soldier declares he had to buy a lot of his own, and that heavy equipment that his unit got either didn't arrive or broke down altogether instead. Drones, thermal imaging, and heavy fire support didn't help their case either. The losses of the disastrous attack amounted, according to relatives of the soldiers, up to two entire companies of men. And now the survivors are facing charges of criminal desertion among other things. :nms: for combat footage with no gore and POWs

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

poverty goat posted:

have any of these antiques actually showed up at the front or are they just being used as artillery until their barrels give out or whatever?

T-62:s were initially deployed as artillery, but have now been seen widely used as front-line units.

Russian T-54/55:s have no arrived in Ukraine yet. I believe Ukraine received some modernized ones, iirc from Slovenia?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CeeJee posted:

It may just be to provide something to units who lost all their proper artillery and need something to lob shells at that town they have been trying to take for eight months.
Nothing relevant is actually hit but at least the illusion is there of the enemy being attacked. Whenever the Russians do something like this it's graft, a Potemkin solution or usually both.

62s and 55s are pretty bad as indirect fire weapons at best. The 62s were already notorious for breaking down at the drop of a hat during the Kherson offensive as well. It's basically a Potemkin solution for lack of any other options, as Uralvagonzavod is lucky if they can produce 20-30 new hulls per year and reactivate twice the upper limit in one month.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tuna-Fish posted:

T-62:s were initially deployed as artillery, but have now been seen widely used as front-line units.

Russian T-54/55:s have no arrived in Ukraine yet. I believe Ukraine received some modernized ones, iirc from Slovenia?

Yes, M-55s, with modernized electronics, fire control systems, uparmoring, and thermal vision

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dwesa posted:

Some fire coming from the right at ~0:15 bouncing and hitting something that explodes.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh my.

Also looks like some AA fire in the background so who knows.

I guessed light automatic cannon fire hitting the surface and ricocheting upwards? It also looks like some kind of ATGM style missile actually caused the explosion. You see it come in right to left, then swerve off to the right just before the explosion.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1638559413098147840

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Spanish Armata

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russia trying to destabilize Ukraine’s future economy with an unmanageable surplus of rubble and weapons grade scrap metal.

Do they genuinely not have any ultra top secret Cold War research lab prototype doom weapons they can unlock to save a little face? Like a tank that transforms into a giant fist or funky shaped plane that generates concussive shockwaves? Or did all that stuff get handed over to the mob for yacht money?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

Russia trying to destabilize Ukraine’s future economy with an unmanageable surplus of rubble and weapons grade scrap metal.

Do they genuinely not have any ultra top secret Cold War research lab prototype doom weapons they can unlock to save a little face? Like a tank that transforms into a giant fist or funky shaped plane that generates concussive shockwaves? Or did all that stuff get handed over to the mob for yacht money?

Pretty much. Even much of the cosmoline that was supposed to keep the AKs and other small arms in fine fettle got stolen and sold. The money that was supposed to build proper warehouses for artillery shells got stolen and sold, so now they're (at least half of them) rusty and falling apart. All the working tanks got cannibalized for either spares or to sell the spares. At this point there's nothing left.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If anything, this one is really better than the T-14, because it actually made it to Ukraine\

winnydpu posted:

I guessed light automatic cannon fire hitting the surface and ricocheting upwards? It also looks like some kind of ATGM style missile actually caused the explosion. You see it come in right to left, then swerve off to the right just before the explosion.
Yeah I think you're right, it's a poo poo potato video so was hard to tell at first glance.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 22, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

They have secret superweapons, for example nuclear-powered cruise missile Burevestnik with unpredictable trajectory that managed to spill radioactive material into White Sea when it crashed

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Power Khan posted:

Some fire coming from the right at ~0:15 bouncing and hitting something that explodes.

I think it was targetting something and zagged last second; it could have been a bounce too but yeah that was odd

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dwesa posted:

They have secret superweapons, for example nuclear-powered cruise missile Burevestnik with unpredictable trajectory that managed to spill radioactive material into White Sea when it crashed

And then went critical when they brought it out of the sea because nobody thought to disable the reactor before taking it out of the water, irradiated and killed a couple of the recovery engineers.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

fatherboxx posted:

Apparently the guy who collapsed in Solovyov's studio was a legit expert on China and not the usual shouty moron so we can safely say he could not stand all the cringe there

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1638506373481635841

I'm a bit late but it's been confirmed that he's fine later.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

this is just like, the cherry on top

Russia recruits Steven Seagal to teach martial arts to its soldiers

quote:

Steven Seagal, one of the icons of American action movies in the 1990s and early 2000s, has just opened an aikido centre in Moscow with the intention of preparing young Russians to join the Russian armed forces.

Seagal, who became a Russian citizen in 2016, is a seventh-dan black belt in aikido, as well as being the chief instructor within the Russian Federation of this martial art since 2018.

"The young people I saw today have a very big potential. We need to open more such centres to develop that potential. It is important that the development of aikido progresses at a faster pace," Seagal told Russia's TASS news agency.

Seagal has never hidden his support for Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom he has called "one of the greatest world leaders, if not the greatest leader alive today". Putin recently awarded him the Order of Friendship.

The actor, who has previously spoken out in favour of Russia's annexation of Crimea, visited the Russian city of Olenivka and its prison camp for Ukrainian detainees last year.

In 2021, Seagal presented Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro with a samurai sword on behalf of the Russian Foreign Ministry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1638506373481635841

I'm a bit late but it's been confirmed that he's fine later.

Well if Solovyov says so

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I agree, it is very important that they focus on developing Russian aikido at a faster pace, so they don't get distracted and do poo poo that could influence their combat effectiveness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Karate Bastard posted:

I agree, it is very important that they focus on developing Russian aikido at a faster pace, so they don't get distracted and do a poo poo that could influence their combat effectiveness.

Pantsshitting is an important part of martial arts that Seagal excels at.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1638491941221302274
Brothers morale very high. More proof that they're just getting fired on by their own to get forced into suicidal assaults.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

i mean they're just going to do that anyway

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

April 1st came early this year

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

This may be an urban legend, but it is said that Seagal shat a man out cold from 30' distance at the stage of Under Siege 2. It is unconfirmed whether this was on purpose, but he did 360 no hands no scope clock a stuntman smack in the forehead rendering the man unconscious. Turds of steel.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Well if Solovyov says so

Even broken clocks can be right twice a day :shrug:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Didn't know you could teach martial arts from a comfy chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638587089678737437

something something Russia's sanitation coverage