Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I was surprised to only get 57% items in Fusion, thought I was being pretty thorough but things must be pretty well hidden.
I heard there was a point in the endgame where you could go back and collect stuff, but looking it up it was way earlier than I thought. Fortunately do have a save from shortly before lying around even though I didn't know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Item Getter posted:

I was surprised to only get 57% items in Fusion, thought I was being pretty thorough but things must be pretty well hidden.
I heard there was a point in the endgame where you could go back and collect stuff, but looking it up it was way earlier than I thought. Fortunately do have a save from shortly before lying around even though I didn't know about it.

If you boot up your save after beating the end boss, the whole ship is open so you can go back and get 100%.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's a ton of completely pointless power bomb tanks iirc which I always found funny

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you boot up your save after beating the end boss, the whole ship is open so you can go back and get 100%.

Ah, OK, I never would have thought to do that since the game never tells you about it. That's good so it doesn't soft lock people completely at least.

After going back to the previous save, I did find the way to get into the other sectors before Adam locks all the doors in the endgame... though I probably never would have found the illusory walls leading to the tunnels in sector 1 without a guide mentioning the tunnels. Which did feel like a clever bit of breaking free of the AI and trying to find the tunnels in each sector. I guess you'd stumble across the tunnels connecting the sectors a lot more easily by exploring from the save after beating the game though.
Though if you do all the collection stuff before the last Adam cutscene I guess you're stuck listening to the same music the whole time, that seems to be a running problem with this game. Like earlier the first time you get to freely explore after getting Power bombs, it's the lead-up to Nightmare and you are stuck listening to a looping "eerie" chord the whole time.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Ah, OK, I never would have thought to do that since the game never tells you about it. That's good so it doesn't soft lock people completely at least.

After going back to the previous save, I did find the way to get into the other sectors before Adam locks all the doors in the endgame... though I probably never would have found the illusory walls leading to the tunnels in sector 1 without a guide mentioning the tunnels. Which did feel like a clever bit of breaking free of the AI and trying to find the tunnels in each sector. I guess you'd stumble across the tunnels connecting the sectors a lot more easily by exploring from the save after beating the game though.
Though if you do all the collection stuff before the last Adam cutscene I guess you're stuck listening to the same music the whole time, that seems to be a running problem with this game. Like earlier the first time you get to freely explore after getting Power bombs, it's the lead-up to Nightmare and you are stuck listening to a looping "eerie" chord the whole time.

username/post combo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm playing through the Metroid Prime remaster and it definitely is a lot easier than I remember, which may be due to the easier controls with a controller that wasn't made by a Nintendo employee hopped up on an old stash of German marching drugs but also it probably helps that I am no longer 11 years old.

I will say that I do appreciate the collectibles more in this game than the 2D ones. Maybe I just have poor spacial knowledge but I find that I'm rarely walking around with the understanding that "oh this area with the power up is right next to me". Instead I'll follow a new path and come across an energy tank that was tantalizingly staring at me, inaccessible, from earlier and get super hyped because not only did I get the powerup, I solved a mystery I didn't even know I was working on. It's nice.

I can't remember if in the OG game Samus would fire three shot bursts with every button press, I remember just hammering the button continuously but that might have just been to avoid the pause between bursts. If someone remembers better than me, are you able to just jump directly into the charge beam rather than having to let out the three-short first in any way? I thought you could but that might be from later games.

E. Oh gently caress, you can play fusion on the switch now? I have a busy week ahead of me.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 20, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I'm glad Dread actually gives you a reason to collect power bombs at the end since they're the only thing that destroys Raven Beak's huge sun move. But maybe you also get a power bomb back whenever you do that, so it's kind of a wash. Still, it's nice to have an actual combat reason to collect them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MokBa posted:

I'm glad Dread actually gives you a reason to collect power bombs at the end since they're the only thing that destroys Raven Beak's huge sun move. But maybe you also get a power bomb back whenever you do that, so it's kind of a wash. Still, it's nice to have an actual combat reason to collect them.

They were also good for revealing every nearby destructible block if there was a puzzle that was really kicking your rear end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

They were also good for revealing every nearby destructible block if there was a puzzle that was really kicking your rear end.

Exactly, they're so useful just for getting a room to show you where all the moving parts are

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
replaying dread and i still don't like this game's level design but my god do the boss fights own

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can't remember if in the OG game Samus would fire three shot bursts with every button press, I remember just hammering the button continuously but that might have just been to avoid the pause between bursts. If someone remembers better than me, are you able to just jump directly into the charge beam rather than having to let out the three-short first in any way? I thought you could but that might be from later games.

No, that's a new feature of the Remaster and a frankly kind of bizarre addition.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Simply Simon posted:

No, that's a new feature of the Remaster and a frankly kind of bizarre addition.

I think the logic is that it prevents the need for button mashing which isn't exactly comfortable to do on triggers.

Still should be a selectable option in the menu though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the logic is that it prevents the need for button mashing which isn't exactly comfortable to do on triggers.

Oh that explains a lot, I'm playing with motion controls so I'm not even using the triggers. It makes sense that they added it for those!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed, I hated the burst fire. I wish I could have turned it off.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kza58WEWyJI

"Yakuza spawns at the top of the room, and before it comes down, you can shoot several missiles into its mouth. I can't offer too much advice as to how you can avoid Yakuza. I would try being in the morph ball on the left or right side of the screen.

Yakuza's mouth stays open just long enough to charge the beam and hit it, so it's possible to hit it every time."
That brings back memories. I managed to pull off a 1% run of Fusion way back in the day on an original GBA, and it's probably the hardest video game related thing I've ever done.

Fighting this boss over and over again, and the long trek from the save point after each attempt, are definitely one of the things that sticks out from it. I don't think I knew that trick about shooting a bunch of missiles into the air before he appears on screen either.

The hardest boss on that run was definitely Nightmare, though. I remember it taking days to finally pull that off. Luckily there was a save point right before that fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQO_sUNsMPQ

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

LividLiquid posted:

I'd accept if somebody thought they shared the bottom spot game-wise even if I didn't agree, but on a story level Other M is the greatest character assassination of a beloved video game franchise-header and icon that I can think of.

And that she was the first woman in that category makes it absolutely un-loving-forgivable. I get that he had a lot to do with Dread, which was great, but I would dance a jig for two straight days if Sakamoto got shitcanned from heading up Metroid.

Would you believe me if I told you that The 3rd Birthday makes Other M look like fine art by comparison and came out only a month and change after Other M? What they did to Aya Brea makes Other M Samus look like the most hardcore badass ever.

Anyway, given that this was the only black mark on Sakamoto's career resume, and the fact nobody's talking about it again outside of a small picture unlock in Dread I'm gonna assume everyone got the hint and wants to move on.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Why is the giant spider named Yakuza anyway?

As a kid I logic'd it as him being a 6-legged spider, because his "pinkies" were cut off.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

CuddleCryptid posted:

When I was watching a streamer someone mentioned that someone timed it and the time between the burst and charge in the remaster and the single shot and charge in the OG time out to be effectively the same length. So at least it doesn't take extra time.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The only times it really bothered me was when I would try to snipe a guy before he noticed me but then the extra shots made him move.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Party Boat posted:

Anyone who's enjoyed revisiting Fusion should check out the randomiser. With the difficulty at the lowest setting it doesn't expect any sequence breaking style tricks so it becomes purely about exploration and map knowledge.
I'm curious how this works since there's parts of the map that actually deform during the game--I'm thinking of Sector 2 (TRO) after the SA-X encounter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Most of the destructible blocks in SA-X rooms can also be destroyed by Samus so the game just leaves them as they are (which can lead to you soft locking yourself in lower sector 6 if you don't have power bombs - the SA-X would normally detonate one and open the way forward).

There is one big example of an area changing layout which is the big opening area of sector 5, which goes into a destroyed state at a certain point. In the randomiser it changes to destroyed when you pick up certain major upgrades.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Even though both Fusion and Dread are super linear and constantly change the layout of the levels to railroad the player into certain paths, for some reason I found it a lot less annoying in Fusion than Dread and struggling to articulate why.
I think it just feels a lot more arbitrary in Dread, in Fusion at least you are shown in the early scene of the SA-X blowing up the elevator shaft and told that the X are taking over the station and trying to stop your progress etc. whereas in Dread you are just exploring a series of caves without much plot context and pick up the morph ball or whatever and oh no suddenly some random alien plant popped up to block the rest of the level you were just in.
Also I think the objective markers, more compartmentalized areas etc actually help the railroading seem less annoying since it contextualizes most of the game as "the computer wants you to go here but the direct route is blocked so you have to figure out another route." etc. Dread still has the navigation rooms where you talk to Adam but you're often not really told where to go and the game has more of an illusion of being open-ended so the aggressive railroading chafes a lot more than a game which is more overt about its linear structure.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does Dread have a lot of that? Mostly I remember obstacles that are naturally set up to be one-way only, e.g. you grapple a big rock out of the way to unblock the way forward and it settles into a spot where it blocks the way backwards. Although in some respects that's even worse, because if you try backtracking there's no immediately obvious new obstacle in the way, it just looks like normal level geometry.

Fusion does have some of the strongest environmental puzzle solving of the series, which I think did a great job of making the most of the linear nature. But Dread has the benefit both of built-in Zero Mission style sequence breaks, and physics tricks enabling genuinely unintended breaks. Fusion's exploration was probably stronger for the first play through but Dread has replayability, and that's what the hardcore fans are looking for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

gently caress me, fighting the control scheme in Hunters is getting old. I just cleared Arcterra and I died to the Octolith boss 4 times and to Trace twice, and it’s entirely due to my hands cramping up.

Halfway through the game though.

I loved Hunters back in the day but I have no idea how I played it without getting a horrible permanent injury

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I loved Hunters back in the day but I have no idea how I played it without getting a horrible permanent injury

hunters never gave me too much trouble.

kid icarus uprising though.......

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I replayed fusion and it’s good, while it is *linear* the linear path is interesting enough and the game is short enough it doesn’t get boring. They should have expanded the later game conspiracy/AI turns against you half of the game though and shrank the elemental zone fetch quest section. I liked the game much more when you got essentially new content, the first half is kind of just repurposing super metroid assets. I almost feel like the game should have taken place entirely on the main ship itself, without the sub-zones at all

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 22, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metroid Prime Hunters trip report

Still playing, hands still hurt. I’ve got 6 of 8 octoliths, which included recovering a stolen one from another hunter. He only killed me the first time because 2 hunters jumped me at once which was pretty bullshit.

Even though this is a pretty middling Metroid game, I like the idea of different hunters roaming around doing their thing, I think that adds a lot to the “world” and I’d love to see more of that in other Metroid games.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 22, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

hunters' online multiplayer was pretty unbalanced and busted but there really was something incredibly cool at the time of playing an online shooter on a tiny little ds. it's not the best metroid game but it's a real technical marvel

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the DS’s online multiplayer was huge at the time. Hunters multiplayer and Mario Kart DS were massive, same with Animal Crossing Wild World and obviously Pokémon too. Nintendo’s first online system, largest selling family of handheld game console of all time. Good combo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Item Getter posted:

Even though both Fusion and Dread are super linear and constantly change the layout of the levels to railroad the player into certain paths, for some reason I found it a lot less annoying in Fusion than Dread and struggling to articulate why.
I think it just feels a lot more arbitrary in Dread, in Fusion at least you are shown in the early scene of the SA-X blowing up the elevator shaft and told that the X are taking over the station and trying to stop your progress etc. whereas in Dread you are just exploring a series of caves without much plot context and pick up the morph ball or whatever and oh no suddenly some random alien plant popped up to block the rest of the level you were just in.
Also I think the objective markers, more compartmentalized areas etc actually help the railroading seem less annoying since it contextualizes most of the game as "the computer wants you to go here but the direct route is blocked so you have to figure out another route." etc. Dread still has the navigation rooms where you talk to Adam but you're often not really told where to go and the game has more of an illusion of being open-ended so the aggressive railroading chafes a lot more than a game which is more overt about its linear structure.

the one way-paths in dread are annoying because they’re usually really contrived, like you go through a tunnel and then a rock falls behind you or something, and they aren’t really used to add to the tone or narrative. In Fusion they’re used to make you feel uneasy and to add surprise wrinkles to missions that initially seemed straightforward.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Even though this is a pretty middling Metroid game, I like the idea of different hunters roaming around doing their thing, I think that adds a lot to the “world” and I’d love to see more of that in other Metroid games.
I liked that too, but if they bring that back, I want more of them to be people and not just weird outfits that look like bugs that may or may not contain actual bugs.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the DS’s online multiplayer was huge at the time. Hunters multiplayer and Mario Kart DS were massive, same with Animal Crossing Wild World and obviously Pokémon too. Nintendo’s first online system, largest selling family of handheld game console of all time. Good combo.
Holy poo poo did the DS actually sell more than the Gameboy?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LividLiquid posted:

Holy poo poo did the DS actually sell more than the Gameboy?

Yeah I just looked it up, the Game Boy family sold 118.69m units and the DS family sold 154.02m units.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Holy poo poo. I knew they printed money, but I never dreamed they'd beat out the GB, Pocket, Light, Color, and GBA combined.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Normies bought the DS. That's why there was so much stuff like Brain Age, Crosswords DS, Nintendogs on there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LividLiquid posted:

I liked that too, but if they bring that back, I want more of them to be people and not just weird outfits that look like bugs that may or may not contain actual bugs.

the hunters being weird aliens was cool

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LividLiquid posted:

Holy poo poo. I knew they printed money, but I never dreamed they'd beat out the GB, Pocket, Light, Color, and GBA combined.

The Game Boy Family doesn't include the Advance (GBA had 81 million lifetime sales by itself). So Game Boy + Advance I think beats DS. But not by as much as you'd think.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Normies bought the DS. That's why there was so much stuff like Brain Age, Crosswords DS, Nintendogs on there.
What blows me away about this the most is that that is also what happened with the Gameboy. Much like the Wii and Wii Sports, though, a poo poo-ton of people thought that thing was basically just for Tetris.

Augus posted:

the hunters being weird aliens was cool
So let me see them, then! I have a very hard time giving a poo poo about a suit with nobody in it.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Game Boy Family doesn't include the Advance (GBA had 81 million lifetime sales by itself). So Game Boy + Advance I think beats DS. But not by as much as you'd think.
Okay, this makes a lot more sense.

If we're gonna' consider the 3DS a DS, but not the GBA a Gameboy, then the numbers are meaningless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

What blows me away about this the most is that that is also what happened with the Gameboy. Much like the Wii and Wii Sports, though, a poo poo-ton of people thought that thing was basically just for Tetris.

So let me see them, then! I have a very hard time giving a poo poo about a suit with nobody in it.

Okay, this makes a lot more sense.

If we're gonna' consider the 3DS a DS, but not the GBA a Gameboy, then the numbers are meaningless.

The 3DS is listed separately from the DS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

The 3DS is listed separately from the DS.
gently caress me, this news has just been a rollercoaster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The DS numbers are especially impressive given the system didn't really take off until 2006 and was dead by 2011, whereas the GB "family" covered the entire period from 1989-2001.

I also think it makes sense to look at GBC sales distinctly from 1998-2001 given how much that overlaps with Pokémon. I mean, nobody was buying a new Game Boy in North America in January 1998.