Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Look as long as no one runs PopCon again we'll probably all be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Voodoofly posted:

Honestly it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a list of people that we nominate as resources for someone to talk to about any problems, potential problems, abuse, need for support, etc. and to have those people listed in the OP of every game so that you would (hopefully) be able to contact one or more of them that are not directly involved in the game itself and not worry about talking about a game out of game etc

I honestly believe that everyone currently in the community who is modding games would be completely willing and able to act as such a listening post for any player in the game, but also want to recognize that at least the option to talk to someone not connected to the game but who has experience with mafia and player base as a whole would definitely help create an additional support structure should anyone need it.

I'd be happy to participate in something like this and put it in the OP here at the very least

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chaoslord posted:

Look as long as no one runs PopCon again we'll probably all be fine

we could run it again but this time actually let me win the game and have everyone signing contracts saying so

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Part of what makes Mafia a lot more inured to this stuff is that it's a social deduction game traitor game like Secret Hitler or Betrayal or, yes, Among Us, not a roleplaying game like Call of Cthulhu or D&D.

Obviously there's crossover that exists somewhere out there, but mafia is basically the traitor game. Role flavor will almost always be similar to what you get in Secret Hitler or Among Us, with bespoke names and some fun flavor text, rather than, say, a PbtA game playbook, and gameplay is essentially just the same way you'd play Secret Hitler (trying to figure out who's lying, discussing connections, laughing at people) but expanded to a forum play-by-post structure. Discord is used because it's easier than giving everyone bespoke google sheets, mostly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
get Leperflesh to play a mafia game then report all their posts imo (this is a joke)

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Voodoofly posted:

Honestly it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a list of people that we nominate as resources for someone to talk to about any problems, potential problems, abuse, need for support, etc. and to have those people listed in the OP of every game so that you would (hopefully) be able to contact one or more of them that are not directly involved in the game itself and not worry about talking about a game out of game etc

I honestly believe that everyone currently in the community who is modding games would be completely willing and able to act as such a listening post for any player in the game, but also want to recognize that at least the option to talk to someone not connected to the game but who has experience with mafia and player base as a whole would definitely help create an additional support structure should anyone need it.

This. I understand the impulse to insist we can take care of ourselves, and we probably can - in the few months I've been a part of this community I've grown to trust everyone I've played/modded/observed with - but the point of having this kind of infrastructure in place is to prevent bad actors from taking advantage of that trust. Having a point of contact not directly related to a specific running game would be a great way of setting that up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

get Leperflesh to play a mafia game then report all their posts imo (this is a joke)

done.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the only solution is to formally make Ecco the leader

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

saladscooper posted:

This. I understand the impulse to insist we can take care of ourselves, and we probably can - in the few months I've been a part of this community I've grown to trust everyone I've played/modded/observed with - but the point of having this kind of infrastructure in place is to prevent bad actors from taking advantage of that trust. Having a point of contact not directly related to a specific running game would be a great way of setting that up.

Yeah this is about having tools that you don't anticipate ever needing but reasonable people aren't really gonna object to, it doesn't have to be made a huge deal of but maybe like one sentence in the OP right after you say "keep secret stuff secret no cheating no out of game talking about the game" you could also say "unless someone is being gross or abusive in which case of course tell on them immediately, tell the organizer or a mod or someone" and that'd be that?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

In terms of mafia-adjacent things that have the potential to be problematic, a lot of people in this community also occasionally play Forums Survivor or other similar games. Those are recruited off the forums and kinda "anchored" here, but do largely take place offsite.

In the past, they'd be very decentralised and essentially impossible to really "moderate" because players would be communicating with each other by AIM or Skype or SMS or Google sheets, but we've been moving to hosting them mostly on discord and having nearly all communications monitorable by the people running those games.

These tend to run for a few months and are shockingly immersive to play in, and when you have a social manipulation game that may involve lying to someone for weeks, that's got potential to make tempers run pretty high. I'm not aware of any major blowups in these games, but I can imagine it happening.

The people who tend to run these, JOHN CENA and now Chili, are also mafia players, and I know they'd be pretty amenable to checking in with mods when they run those games once or twice a year, and to make it clear to players in those games that the mods on SA are a resource that they can tap in case of conflict. That last part hasn't been really needed that I'm aware, but it also hasn't really been made clear.

It's likely a good idea, especially given Wandering Woods had a couple of people in it who were more or less recruited and weren't familiar with the forums in general, so it'd be helpful to have those resources available for people who are mostly or completely new to SA.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

I think the only solution is to formally make Ecco the leader

The Big Game Queueen

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The mafia community is very good at self governing and stopping anything bad from happening (except for the all the times bad things happened)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah this is about having tools that you don't anticipate ever needing but reasonable people aren't really gonna object to, it doesn't have to be made a huge deal of but maybe like one sentence in the OP right after you say "keep secret stuff secret no cheating no out of game talking about the game" you could also say "unless someone is being gross or abusive in which case of course tell on them immediately, tell the organizer or a mod or someone" and that'd be that?

I like this idea and think it's worth including explicitly.

It's easy for there to be confusion on what's okay to talk about (venting to an uninvolved person who will not share what you say to them, serious breaches of conduct/someone being loving gross) and what isn't (public discussion of the game, especially with other players, mechanical role specifics, pretty much whatever you think would ruin a traitor game), and I'd rather never need this but have it than need it and have someone get hurt but feel unable to say anything about it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Leperflesh posted:

Would you be willing to be a point of contact outside the community for people who have issues within the community to come to? We will also have some in-community folks but it's not a bad thing to have a higher authority to be able to go to.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Voodoofly posted:

I'm all for this. If we need names, and apart from the mods themselves, I actually think Voodoo, Hal, Grandi, Opopanax as players that have been here a long time, know basically everyone around the old and new community and are reasonable, levelheaded people can all do a great work on that front. For newer, active people, Cloacamazing!, wologar and HyperCrabTank all started playing in the last year and all are also extremely reasonable people that can be trusted, IMO.

Also nobody get offended I didn't list them, please, lol.

Sandwolf and I take care of the Mafia Discord and both of us are more than willing to listen and help anyone as needed! BUT I feel this is better kept separate from us - concentrating all the control in the same people is never good.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Voodoofly posted:

i agree. the lesson to be learned from the podima stuff imo is that the only reason it came to the full attention of people is that someone stepped up and spoke up about it. otherwise, it wouldve stayed quiet and potentially more issues couldve occured and more people couldve been hurt. making it clear what is and isnt permitted, and having people and resources available that can help people when things potentially do get out of hand, can help to make sure that if problems do arise, they can be quickly and safely resolved instead of quietly being ignored or obsfucated until someone decides to finally speak out.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

I'm all for this. If we need names, and apart from the mods themselves, I actually think Voodoo, Hal, Grandi, Opopanax as players that have been here a long time, know basically everyone around the old and new community and are reasonable, levelheaded people can all do a great work on that front. For newer, active people, Cloacamazing!, wologar and HyperCrabTank all started playing in the last year and all are also extremely reasonable people that can be trusted, IMO.

Also nobody get offended I didn't list them, please, lol.

Sandwolf and I take care of the Mafia Discord and both of us are more than willing to listen and help anyone as needed! BUT I feel this is better kept separate from us - concentrating all the control in the same people is never good.

I support all of this. Obviously Shell and I are resources that you are more than welcome to use, but I am happy to be custodian of the discord and the mafia thread.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

Would you be willing to be a point of contact outside the community for people who have issues within the community to come to? We will also have some in-community folks but it's not a bad thing to have a higher authority to be able to go to.

I think this is a good idea, and might help remove the reluctance to talk about something about somebody in the community or about the community itself.

Structurally, I think having communication largely visible by spectators and players no longer in the game helps a lot towards avoiding some negative outcomes. I don't know how explicit rules or requirements around that could be, but I do think that that being established as a community norm is helpful.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Whistleblowing should be encouraged.

There's a difference between spoiling game mechanics/character alignments and speaking up about uncomfortable content.

I don't think anyone here would be upset if a player posted in a specific game thread or in this thread saying "Hey, this concept doesn't feel right/appropriate."

I think almost everyone here is very reasonable too. If I included a description in a Mafia game that someone thought was insensitive, I would hope that someone would speak up and let me know. I don't think anyone here wants to make anyone else feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, and should that happen, it is a chance for the offending party to acknowledge, apologize, and grow as a person, making the community as a whole a better place. :D

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mordiceius posted:

Whistleblowing should be encouraged.

There's a difference between spoiling game mechanics/character alignments and speaking up about uncomfortable content.

I don't think anyone here would be upset if a player posted in a specific game thread or in this thread saying "Hey, this concept doesn't feel right/appropriate."

I think almost everyone here is very reasonable too. If I included a description in a Mafia game that someone thought was insensitive, I would hope that someone would speak up and let me know. I don't think anyone here wants to make anyone else feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, and should that happen, it is a chance for the offending party to acknowledge, apologize, and grow as a person, making the community as a whole a better place. :D

To this point, honestly, if someone's being actually lovely to you, making you uncomfortable, in any way causing you harm, not a single person in this community will give a poo poo if you blow the game up. Preventing the things I've just mentioned outweighs our "game integrity" rules by a magnitude of 10.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Yeah, like, I can't fathom a Mafia game whose concepts are actually inappropiate for people to play, but I guess it could happen. It'd all be public for spectators anyway (unless it's like, a game using forum PMs maybe?) but even so, never hesitate to reach out, game integrity be loving damned, blow it up if needed. As a mod I'd rather have a blown up game than people getting hurt, tbh.

Edit: and hell, it's really really rare, but we've had games blown up by people just getting sour grapes at being eliminated, and that's orders of magnitude less important.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Shellception posted:

Yeah, like, I can't fathom a Mafia game whose concepts are actually inappropiate for people to play, but I guess it could happen. It'd all be public for spectators anyway (unless it's like, a game using forum PMs maybe?) but even so, never hesitate to reach out, game integrity be loving damned, blow it up if needed. As a mod I'd rather have a blown up game than people getting hurt, tbh.

Edit: and hell, it's really really rare, but we've had games blown up by people just getting sour grapes at being eliminated, and that's orders of magnitude less important.

The only inappropriate thing i remember is when i made the mistake of giving mills the ability to write his own kill flavor as an SK.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Shellception posted:

Yeah, like, I can't fathom a Mafia game whose concepts are actually inappropiate for people to play, but I guess it could happen.

Well don’t dig super deep into the game archive cause there’s some doozies if you go back far enough.

I think players have had a better track record about that in, say, the past decade. For example Mr. Steak got canned for a game with inappropriate content.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Jump King posted:

Well don’t dig super deep into the game archive cause there’s some doozies if you go back far enough.

I think players have had a better track record about that in, say, the past decade. For example Mr. Steak got canned for a game with inappropriate content.

Steak wasn't running a Mafia game tho, it was a CYOA I think? No human players were involved, and welp, yeah, he earned that one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how do i remove stuff on vote finder if my vote finder account seems seperated from the account that actually records my games also can it delete old alias who runs this stuff these days because there is some stuff i want deleted

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shellception posted:

Steak wasn't running a Mafia game tho, it was a CYOA I think? No human players were involved, and welp, yeah, he earned that one.

yeah it was a CYOA and didn't got past the OP

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Votefinder is an ongoing situation, the current maintainer isn't interested in maintaining it and there's been a lot of talk about epsilon/death cob for cutie taking over, but it hasn't happened yet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shellception posted:

Yeah, like, I can't fathom a Mafia game whose concepts are actually inappropiate for people to play, but I guess it could happen.

i mean "lynch" and "hooker/prostitute" are common terms use in certain communities and have been use here in games, like jump king says you just need to go look for it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Votefinder is an ongoing situation, the current maintainer isn't interested in maintaining it and there's been a lot of talk about epsilon/death cob for cutie taking over, but it hasn't happened yet.

is there anyway to get name remove rn or is it just a thing of i need to wait, im fine with the later but it still bothers me to have stuff in there that misgenders me, sob sob

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Epsilon would be the one to say I guess but right now I don't think anyone who is active in this community actually has access to the database, so...

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean "lynch" and "hooker/prostitute" are common terms use in certain communities and have been use here in games, like jump king says you just need to go look for it

We’ve stepped away from “lynch” entirely and I’ve never seen the latter used here, though can’t say it doesn’t matter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sandwolf posted:

We’ve stepped away from “lynch” entirely and I’ve never seen the latter used here, though can’t say it doesn’t matter.

oh i know im just pointing out hes right

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

is there anyway to get name remove rn or is it just a thing of i need to wait, im fine with the later but it still bothers me to have stuff in there that misgenders me, sob sob

There is a way but I don't know how. We had to delete a player name that got aliased to another player name once and no one had powers, but I ain't sure how it was done.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh i know im just pointing out hes right

All valid points! Unlike people who think we shouldn’t use the term mafia because it’s anti-Italian.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3146744

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh no

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Anyway haven’t read the last few pages but planning on launching [b] race war mafia[\b] any day nkw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Piuro frees his slaves!, Day 1.
Porcus the Wombat, Marylander Prostitute (Town / Pinkerton Lover, Northern Sympathzier), chopped to pieces Night 1.
Tom Tucker, Rhode Islander Pinkerton Agent (Town Cop / Harlot Lover, Northern Sympathizer), committed suicide Night 1.
EccoRaven, Virginian Gunsmith (Racist (Lyncher), Racist Sympathizer), sniped Day 3.
Ardent, British Officer (Confederate Tourist / Harlot Lover, Southern Sympathizer), chopped to pieces Night 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

t a s t e posted:

Anyway haven’t read the last few pages but planning on launching [b] race war mafia[\b] any day nkw

Sign me up, I’m a big fan of the Fast and Furious franchise