Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which podcast app do you guys use for discovery? The discovery feature of overcast sucks and all the recommended podcasts are questionable to me.

Awful.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t need to discover new podcasts, I can barely get through the ones I have.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

That and recommendations from friends. Then I use the search function. I guess it would be interesting to hear more thoughts on the dirtbag left from a machine intelligence. I guess.

withak posted:

I don’t need to discover new podcasts, I can barely get through the ones I have.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I only listen to podcasts that have chapters. If you don’t bother to put chapters I won’t listen to it*

So I guess as far as recs go I only listen to the Relay podcasts and ATP mostly.

*I broke this rule for Last Podcast on the Left and Red Web because I like the subject matter of those two but that’s about it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I love Overcast generally but the UI definitely has gotten worse. Now even podcasts with chapters seem to be able to display the current chapter but I have absolutely no idea how to skip ahead or view a list.

Little icons will show on either side of the timer bar when there’s chapters, but tapping them does nothing for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

I love Overcast generally but the UI definitely has gotten worse. Now even podcasts with chapters seem to be able to display the current chapter but I have absolutely no idea how to skip ahead or view a list.

Little icons will show on either side of the timer bar when there’s chapters, but tapping them does nothing for me.

Swipe right to left

https://i.imgur.com/KQBywtq.gif

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For some reason that won’t work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/IwWNHZu.mp4

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

For some reason that won’t work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/IwWNHZu.mp4

Waypoint doesn't have proper embedded chapters afaik. Just those timestamps in the shownotes

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ahh, okay then. That’s weird cuz they definitely used to work, plus the chapter titles do show up on the Playing screen when I’m playing the episode. I assume those icons and titles are showing up through some kind of data scraping the app is showing from the show notes, but it’s weird that they then don’t let you skip ahead if it’s doing the work of adding the icons in anyway.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Could I use a NFC tag on my deep freezer that would prompt me to enter whatever I'm putting in and the date into some sort of easily searchable list/app? I've never messed with NFC tags and want to check it out.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

EC posted:

Could I use a NFC tag on my deep freezer that would prompt me to enter whatever I'm putting in and the date into some sort of easily searchable list/app? I've never messed with NFC tags and want to check it out.

You'd have to tap your phone right to it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do those actually work well for those of you that use them? I bought a pack a bit back and it seems to be a tossup on how fast (and occasionally if at all) the phone recognizes the tag. Additionally shortcuts are nice but it’s a pain that you can’t share personal automations more easily.

I should just go get smart wall switches instead of trying to have a non verbal smart bulb controller though.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Yes. When I need to, I have one in my car that texts my ETA to home to a specific person. One quick tap.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ahh, okay then. That’s weird cuz they definitely used to work, plus the chapter titles do show up on the Playing screen when I’m playing the episode. I assume those icons and titles are showing up through some kind of data scraping the app is showing from the show notes, but it’s weird that they then don’t let you skip ahead if it’s doing the work of adding the icons in anyway.
So episode 549 of doesn’t have time stamps in the show notes but the chapter buttons and titles are still showing up so I’m stumped basically.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is there a consensus on the “best” free or small cost spaced repitition software (like Anki) that syncs iOS and either web or Mac?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

crestfallen posted:

Is there a consensus on the “best” free or small cost spaced repitition software (like Anki) that syncs iOS and either web or Mac?

I use brainscape with my students and I think it's perfectly good. I used to use studyblue but that's gone now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the hell is the difference between the Microsoft Word and Microsoft 365 apps? I want to edit docx files on my iPad and I don’t know if I’m losing functionality by using Word vs. 365.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Good ereader for iPadOS / iOS? I have many different formats.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

kri kri posted:

I like tiReader

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kri kri posted:

I switch between Marvin 3 and the books app. tiReader linked above looks neat , and more updated than Marvin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Panels for comics and cbz files
Marvin 3 for ebooks (epub, mobi, whatever)
GoodReader for PDFs and random other poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations, kinda wild not having an app update for five years

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kri kri posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, kinda wild not having an app update for five years

PocketBook is pretty solid, and updated regularly.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yomu is also good and worth a shot if you use multiple devices to read.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Enjoying all the Overcast love/hate here. I am grandfathered into the lifetime license, absolutely despise how the Queue (doesn't) work but its audio processing is light years ahead of any other app's. If I could jam its audio engine into Pocketcasts, I'd be very happy.

Other apps I actually pay for:

Apollo - also grandfathered lifetime
Carrot Weather - I turn the personality completely off but like how customizable the UI is, and leverage that. Pay for Premium or Ultra or whatever.
Craft - Still not my primary document app but I like what they're trying to do and would love them to add Android support like they have for Windows. Nothing's really filled that "full cross-platform note-taking app" since Evernote (RIP; I know it's not DEAD dead but I have zero faith in the new owners to not gently caress it all up)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not strictly iOS focused but - are there any guides out there that give an in-depth look at transferring everything from Google Photos to iCloud Photos? I googled for it, and every "guide" doesn't really go any deeper than "download everything from google and upload it to icloud!"

Specifically -
  • Downloading everything from Google gave me a .json file for every picture and video. It looks like these files contain metadata. Should I just delete these? Or can iCloud make use of them?
  • It looks like Google did save my iPhone photos as HEIC, however it looks like in order to implement Live Photos, it saved a short .mp4 for every Live Photo. I assume iCloud will not turn these back into Live Photos? Should I just dump the whole folder into iCloud, or will that leave me with a ton of 2-second long mp4 files that I don't necessarily want?
  • How does it deal with duplicates? I'm pretty sure there's a ton of these that already exist in my iCloud, but I really don't want to sort through all this myself. And I also don't want to be taking up twice as much space in my iCloud as I need to.

I'm probably gonna dump the whole folder onto iCloud and let it run overnight and see what happens, but I'm not sure if I will like the results.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’ve always wondered these things as well, op. Keep us posted if you give it a go.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I dunno about the rest but doesn’t iOS do duplicate detection natively now?

In the past I’ve also used the app “Gemini” to find and delete duplicates as well. It’s a subscription but I either just finished clearing out dupes within the free trial period or I subscribed for a month and immediately canceled.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno about the rest but doesn’t iOS do duplicate detection natively now?

Yes, it's a bit weird, it appears as a type of media (like "Videos" or "Panoramas") if and only if you have any duplicated detected in your library.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, I got hit with the new Spotify interface. It starts blaring random music as soon as you touch the home screen. I’m a little stunned and speechless at how aggressively terrible this is, what the gently caress

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TACD posted:

Wow, I got hit with the new Spotify interface. It starts blaring random music as soon as you touch the home screen. I’m a little stunned and speechless at how aggressively terrible this is, what the gently caress

You can mute it but I think this is the default and it’s so stupid.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not strictly iOS focused but - are there any guides out there that give an in-depth look at transferring everything from Google Photos to iCloud Photos? I googled for it, and every "guide" doesn't really go any deeper than "download everything from google and upload it to icloud!"

Specifically -
  • Downloading everything from Google gave me a .json file for every picture and video. It looks like these files contain metadata. Should I just delete these? Or can iCloud make use of them?
  • It looks like Google did save my iPhone photos as HEIC, however it looks like in order to implement Live Photos, it saved a short .mp4 for every Live Photo. I assume iCloud will not turn these back into Live Photos? Should I just dump the whole folder into iCloud, or will that leave me with a ton of 2-second long mp4 files that I don't necessarily want?
  • How does it deal with duplicates? I'm pretty sure there's a ton of these that already exist in my iCloud, but I really don't want to sort through all this myself. And I also don't want to be taking up twice as much space in my iCloud as I need to.

I'm probably gonna dump the whole folder onto iCloud and let it run overnight and see what happens, but I'm not sure if I will like the results.

So I recently did this with my own photos and I'm trying again with my spouse's and I'll just say its a huge pain.

First thing is to get all the photos down in as much of a go as possible via Google Takeout. If you don't, you risk them not having all the needed metadata to correctly file themselves by date and time. Extract them all to one central location.

Next, import them by a year at a time. It can take days and days to sync a large library import to iCloud so its best to do it in smaller bits. If something doesn't sync right (and there will be some that don't), then you can mass edit them into the correct year at least before you move on to the next year. Much easier than trying to sort your whole library after the fact.

The json files do contain the needed metadata and I cannot honestly remember how exactly I managed them because I did do it for my photos. My own searching led to an exiftool that I'm kinda weary on.

Duplicates will get sorted both before and after. It'll ask to Import New Photos to exclude any obvious duplicates. If it finds further duplicates afterwards, they'll show up in their own item in the Photos app on the Mac (are you doing this on a mac? I probably should've asked earlier).

No idea on the HEIC/mp4 bit. I think that stems from the short time after Apple announced for format shift and before Google Photos natively supported Live Photos.

Good luck and also let us know how it goes!

Edit: Now that I found this link, it looks real familiar and I believed I used this on my photos to bring in the metadata from the json files first before importing into the Photos app on my Mac.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 22, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

TACD posted:

Combo factor of new headphones and looming spotify redesign got me back on Apple music and now I'm seriously considering looking into a 3rd option. Everything about Apple music with the exception of sound quality is just way worse than Spotify. The fact that you can't listen between devices like on Spotify - even between apple watch and your phone, where controlling/browsing your music via your watch is weird, unintuitive, and what you choose to play isn't then reflected on your phone - or if you click through to an album it will only show you the songs in that album in your library until you tell it to show the whole album - or all the weird random 'connection error' messages which as far as I can tell is because it doesn't like it when the app is running on multiple devices. It's wild that Apple of all companies are so bad at this. I wonder if Spotify has patents on all the useful bits of their app that are impossible to copy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Grumbles posted:

Combo factor of new headphones and looming spotify redesign got me back on Apple music and now I'm seriously considering looking into a 3rd option. Everything about Apple music with the exception of sound quality is just way worse than Spotify. The fact that you can't listen between devices like on Spotify - even between apple watch and your phone - or if you click through to an album it will only show you the songs in that album in your library until you tell it to show the whole album - or all the weird random 'connection error' messages which as far as I can tell is because it doesn't like it when the app is running on multiple devices. It's wild that Apple of all companies are so bad at this. I wonder if Spotify has patents on all the useful bits of their app that are impossible to copy.

I liked Deezer Hifi.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Rdio had the best UI, RIP. It rocked between phone and pc. I use apple music because I’m on the one plan and it’s fine, but definitely lacking in a lot of nice QoL stuff that spotify and even Rdio did better.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
There’s just nothing comparable to Apple Music’s integration into the iTunes database. As long as I can upload my own music, edit the metadata of songs I don't own, and can make Smart Playlists with ratings more granular than just like/dislike, I don't even care what other services are doing or how good their UI is.

... OK, I still wish Apple Music would actually make improvements :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

It's wild that Apple of all companies are so bad at this. I wonder if Spotify has patents on all the useful bits of their app that are impossible to copy.
It doesn’t especially surprise me that Apple can’t do it because Apple has always been loving useless at anything cloud-related, but it is weird that nobody else has done it either.

I've been experimenting with Deezer, Tidal, and Qobuz as potential replacements and both Deezer and Qobuz are basically non-starters for me; the Deezer application is weirdly slow and buggy and doesn't do gapless track transitions, and Qobuz doesn't have any generative playlists (like Spotify's "artist radio"). Tidal has some gimmicky stuff like "mastered" MQA tracks (which need dedicated hardware and people seem to hate anyway) and 360 Reality Audio (which only seems to be on about a couple dozen tracks) but that can all be avoided by just not paying for the expensive tier.

(I'm not considering Apple Music because I used my trial before and found you couldn't save generative playlists or see upcoming tracks on them.)

None of these can do even basic poo poo like control the desktop app from your phone, never mind stuff like Spotify's shared sessions and whatnot. The Deezer iOS app can at least recognise what track I'm playing on the desktop but pops up an admonishing warning against account sharing if you try to control it, lol.

It's a bit startling that all the competition seems to be so far behind Spotify in a lot of basic usability but maybe that's why they're feeling complacent enough to try to pull this kind of lunatic poo poo, IDK.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

vote_no posted:

There’s just nothing comparable to Apple Music’s integration into the iTunes database. As long as I can upload my own music, edit the metadata of songs I don't own, and can make Smart Playlists with ratings more granular than just like/dislike, I don't even care what other services are doing or how good their UI is.

... OK, I still wish Apple Music would actually make improvements :(

You can still upload your own music on apple? I had no idea, I had thought that was ended when itunes match did.. or is that still going? I have no idea lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uploading your own music is still a thing with iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes Match still exists, too!