Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Managed to get out for an institutional job, finally. It's an hour commute by interstate but the QoL increase has been dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

I don't think Trump himself has anything going on for J6 from a legal standpoint?

We have no way of knowing this. It seems at least plausible that Roger Stone is going to get tied to the seditious conspiracy cases, and that could eventually blow back onto Trump. Or perhaps that is already happening and we don't know. It's under the purview of Jack Smith's office so there's no information leaking at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I also had to get out from front-facing customer service. It was bad enough even before Covid, but it's so much worse now and we have less people in general and a ton of turnover

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I was "essential" (retail cell phone repair), but thankfully my boss was pretty good about things. He shut down for 2 weeks and I collected unemployment (the unemployment plus the bonus money was actually 150% of my normal pay) while he got masks and hand sanitizer and rearranged the stores for contactless transactions. Then when he got his PPP loan, he actually used it for payroll. We were on 4-hour days (getting paid for 8) for a while, then 6 hour for a while after that before we got back to normal in late 2020.

I did eventually get out of there in mid-2022, going into doing IT support in an office instead.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Other than getting covid itself in March 2020, I had a pretty easy ride of things. The university extended spring break a week (which gave me time to recover) and then went full remote on all classes, which I didn't find that difficult of a transition. Watching my students grapple with things, however, was markedly less pleasant, and a lot of them had a hell of a time, about which I could do almost nothing. I still remember one who ended up homeless as they all got kicked out of the dorms but he couldn't go back home as his mother was severely immune compromised. Survived by couch surfing at friends' apartments, but still I can't imagine the stress. Others just dropped off the face of the earth and I never heard or saw them again, still wonder if any were people who ended up on ventilators or worse.

I freely admit that for all of this, I had things way easier than anyone who had to deal with the hell that is other people face to face.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

coelomate posted:

NY Grand Jury unexpectedly did not meet today: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/22/trump-grand-jury-called-off-for-wednesday-00088306

So no action there until tomorrow at the soonest

Waiting on the edge of my seat for Trump to not get arrested or face any real consequences.

~~~

As for my "lockdown" story my job is computer touching so mid March they just told us to pack up our workstations and bring them home and we just immediately resumed doing our jobs from the living rooms until one of the execs decided they couldn't feel alive without seeing bodies in the office and then we came back a year or so later.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I worked from home for a year, and the company I was working for worked with school curriculum planning. Since the schools had no idea what the gently caress they were going to do in 2021, I spent pretty much all of 2020 doing very little work, playing Animal Crossing, having day sex, and developing a drinking habit.

Lockdowns in downtown Chicago were very real so there was not a lot to do.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I demand more transparency about how they are planning to let Trump not suffer any inconveniences whatsoever.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

In prosthetics, our national organization sent out some emails early on about transitioning to remote care/telehealth. Those quickly and quietly disappeared once someone stopped to think for a second and realized that made no loving sense at all.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

cr0y posted:

I demand more transparency about how they are planning to let Trump not suffer any inconveniences whatsoever.

If they just continue to insinuate they are about to do something, Trump will just be in a constant state of freaking out all day every day, which might just be the best we can hope for as far as consequences

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I worked in a factory, but we were essential because we made stuff for the healthcare industry. Even though we lived in a blood ed state, we had to mask and for awhile we had temperature checks at the door. Not that I was there for the most stringent protections because I got a serious head injury around that time spent three months recovering at home.

Which turns out to have probably been a blessing in disguise as I have little to no memory of early 2020.

EDIT: I still have some memory issues so if I told this story before I apologize. = (

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oracle posted:

Jesus Christ. Tell me you got a new job far, far away.

Sadly, a lot of folks are trapped in horrible chudsville with no realistic route of escape.

Which is why it always smarts whenever someone busts out the smug "let's just quarantine zone the red states and let them die" poo poo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same. People with cushy work from home jobs absolutely have no idea.

I started a job as a clerk with USPS at the end of March in 2020. I busted my rear end fifty hours a week before the rear end crack of dawn in a carrier annex surrounded by people that absolutely would not mask up, while almost everyone I knew was safe and comfortable at home, making widgets or whatever the gently caress they do.

gently caress 'em. Now I'm my own enemy and have a job where I mostly work from home and it drives me fuckin nuts. I'm moving into a bigger place in a couple of weeks just so I can have a room to work in that isn't the same room I sleep in. Commuting fuckin sucks, but no human contact at all except these idiots I talk to on the phone that yell at me about their tax returns they hosed up, no degree of separation from my home and work, and so on.

All this work-from-home poo poo is going to do is just widen the rift between people with jobs that can't be done remotely (poor people jobs) and people who can work from home (professionals).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Star Man posted:

I started a job as a clerk with USPS at the end of March in 2020. I busted my rear end fifty hours a week before the rear end crack of dawn in a carrier annex surrounded by people that absolutely would not mask up, while almost everyone I knew was safe and comfortable at home, making widgets or whatever the gently caress they do.

gently caress 'em. Now I'm my own enemy and have a job where I mostly work from home and it drives me fuckin nuts. I'm moving into a bigger place in a couple of weeks just so I can have a room to work in that isn't the same room I sleep in. Commuting fuckin sucks, but no human contact at all except these idiots I talk to on the phone that yell at me about their tax returns they hosed up, no degree of separation from my home and work, and so on.

All this work-from-home poo poo is going to do is just widen the rift between people with jobs that can't be done remotely (poor people jobs) and people who can work from home (professionals).

I had no tolerence for work from home and I think a big part of it was that I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. My work stuff was all set up on my dining table and I couldn't just shut it away in an office. Even in my personal time I could look over my shoulder and see work staring back at me.

Back then, when poo poo was really scary, I remember the day work said to get the gently caress out. I packed up my stuff, went grocery shopping on the way home for like bulk dry rice and beans, brought it all into the apartment, and then I didn't step outside for almost an entire month except to take out the garbage.

I was a mess by the end of it.

My main social connection is and was swing dancing, and even after my city for back to normal, my dancing group was closed for another year and change afterwards.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 22, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

World Famous W posted:

yeah, a whole lot of people i know took away the unintended lesson of "im an essential worker who they won't give essential pay to" and have adjusted their work ethic accordingly. maybe the only good thing ive personally encountered to come from this whole mess

ah yes

"Quiet Quitting". (also this vocab word seems to have died, so either the MSM has gotten clowned on it hard enough that they retired it, or things have returned to enough normal that its no longer needed?)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes

"Quiet Quitting". (also this vocab word seems to have died, so either the MSM has gotten clowned on it hard enough that they retired it, or things have returned to enough normal that its no longer needed?)

Yeah, kinda feels like they're just throwing poo poo at the wall and trying to see what will actually stick.

I've seen a few "Working from home is actually good and we always said so", "Working from home is why no one can afford to buy a home", just a bunch of different "Here's why it's actually and specifically your fault, no, you specifically." headlines to see which one takes off.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Which is why it always smarts whenever someone busts out the smug "let's just quarantine zone the red states and let them die" poo poo.

Especially when the difference between the reddest states and the bluest ones isn't that dramatic in terms of party affiliation. Every state has at least ~40% chud population. Having a few percentage more blue voters doesn't make you righteous, it makes you lucky.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
We know that working from home is better for productivity just like we know open offices kill productivity, it doesn't matter and never did, the only thing that matters is managers get to feel powerful, that's 90% of office culture

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt the from Home productivity boost mainly people not knowing how to properly balance work / not work time? like not having a hard bold line of "yo I do local 9 to 5, if something happens outside of that it better be a be deal."

I recall early 2020 spring stuff about manager sending bossy/needy emails/texts because they KNOW your at your home because lol where else would you be. so might as well get some minor/"oh it will just take a min or two."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I got downsized from my pharmacy tech job in January 2020, which I was really upset about at the time but soon became one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I feel kinda guilty about it, but the early pandemic when Uncle Sam was paying me to stay home and play video games was pretty keen-o. Like a glorious glimpse into the world that could be, before greed overcame fear and we bipartisanly marched everyone into the grinder once more.

Kanos posted:

Sadly, a lot of folks are trapped in horrible chudsville with no realistic route of escape.

As someone trapped in one of those shitholes, do it anyway. My death doesn't matter when all of your lives would be immediately and permanently improved by kicking Kentucky out of the union.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You down to kick my state out too or do we count even though people near us have bad ideas

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the from Home productivity boost mainly people not knowing how to properly balance work / not work time? like not having a hard bold line of "yo I do local 9 to 5, if something happens outside of that it better be a be deal."

I don't know, is it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill was pitched as a common sense law that would stop teachers from having conversations about sexuality with kids in kindergarten and elementary school. DeSantis argued that people were unfairly overreacting and characterizing the bill because it would only apply to kids below third grade by default.

DeSantis is now using a provision in the bill that grants him the authority to ban teachers, school counselors, and school nurses from discussing any thing regarding sexuality with anyone up through age 18 in an "official" or "classroom" capacity.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1638610526157545482

quote:

DeSantis to expand ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law to all grades

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ′ administration is moving to forbid classroom instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in all grades, expanding the controversial law critics call “Don’t Say Gay” as the Republican governor continues a focus on cultural issues ahead of his expected presidential run.

The proposal, which would not require legislative approval, is scheduled for a vote next month before the state Board of Education and has been put forth by state Education Department, both of which are led by appointees of the governor.

The rule change would ban lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity from grades 4 to 12, unless required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction that students can choose not to take. The initial law that DeSantis championed last spring bans those lessons in kindergarten through the third grade. The change was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

DeSantis has leaned heavily into cultural divides on his path to an anticipated White House bid, with the Republican aggressively pursuing a conservative agenda that targets what he calls the insertion of inappropriate subjects in schools.

Spokespeople for the governor’s office and the Education Department did not immediately return an emailed request for comment.

Last year’s Parental Rights in Education Act drew widespread backlash nationally, with critics saying it marginalizes LGBTQ people and their presence in society.

DeSantis and other Republicans have repeatedly said the measure is reasonable and that parents, not teachers, should be broaching subjects of sexual orientation and gender identity with their children.

Critics of the law say its language — “classroom instruction,” “age appropriate” and “developmentally appropriate” — is overly broad and subject to interpretation. Consequently, teachers might opt to avoid the subjects entirely for fear of being sued, they say.

The law also kicked off a feud between the state and Disney, one of the state’s largest employers and political donors, after the entertainment giant publicly opposed the law and said it was pausing political donations in the state.

At the governor’s request, the Republican-dominated Legislature voted to dissolve a self-governing district controlled by Walt Disney World over its properties in Florida, and eventually gave DeSantis control of the board. The move was widely seen as a punishment for the company opposing the law. The board oversees municipal services in Disney’s theme park properties and was instrumental in the company’s decision to build near Orlando in the 1960s.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Speaking of Florida, they just advanced a bill out of committee to ban transition insurance coverage for all trans people, including adults now, in case anyone still thought it was ever about the kids or sports or whatever the gently caress

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1638603424429113344?s=20

LGBTQ+ people are in grave loving danger and it's not getting nearly enough attention

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill was pitched as a common sense law that would stop teachers from having conversations about sexuality with kids in kindergarten and elementary school. DeSantis argued that people were unfairly overreacting and characterizing the bill because it would only apply to kids below third grade by default.

DeSantis is now using a provision in the bill that grants him the authority to ban teachers, school counselors, and school nurses from discussing any thing regarding sexuality with anyone up through age 18 in an "official" or "classroom" capacity.

I know that this is A) red meat for fundamentalists and B) a reason to ban LGBT teachers as a whole from teaching, but you have to wonder how many true believers really think they can protect their 18 year olds from the concept of that it is possible to be gay. It's *everywhere* now, especially online. Hell, the same rule basically applied to my education in the Midwest and basically everyone I know came out in college, including me, and it was still not a positive thing to be queer in the 00s.

It's just such an insane delusion that you have to wonder how it can even be propped up.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

This is my surprised face.

Since this move would be an expansion of an already existing law, as opposed to a brand new one, is there anything that can be done to legally challenge this? Or is this another one of those things that governors can just do and everyone in Florida has to go along with it, no matter what?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1638623886630592526?t=ukvdQ69hJQpkItc7d_2LHg&s=19

:getin:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Class3KillStorm posted:

This is my surprised face.

Since this move would be an expansion of an already existing law, as opposed to a brand new one, is there anything that can be done to legally challenge this? Or is this another one of those things that governors can just do and everyone in Florida has to go along with it, no matter what?

It says in the article:

quote:

The proposal, which would not require legislative approval, is scheduled for a vote next month before the state Board of Education and has been put forth by state Education Department, both of which are led by appointees of the governor.

The original bill gives the state Board of Education the option to alter the age/grade range through a vote. DeSantis is asking the board to approve it and the board is voting.

If the board rejects it, then it dies. But, it seems unlikely that the board will reject it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

LGBTQ+ people are in grave loving danger and it's not getting nearly enough attention

we really loving are and i'm legitimately scared for my kids and especially my friends (and friends' kids) in zither states

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It says in the article:

The original bill gives the state Board of Education the option to alter the age/grade range through a vote. DeSantis is asking the board to approve it and the board is voting.

If the board rejects it, then it dies. But, it seems unlikely that the board will reject it.

Right, but assuming that the board uses that option to increase the coverage of the "Don't Say Gay" Bill to cover all grades through high school, is there any recourse for the people of Florida here? Beyond "elect a more liberal governor in 2 years and have them overturn it" or "move to a less hateful state"?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Star Man posted:

We had to get to Morlock and Eloi someday, why not start now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fed meeting just ended as well.

Some people thought there was a chance they might hold off on more rate increases because of the uncertainty around some regional banks, but they continued with a smaller .25 basis point increase (to 5%).

Chairman Powell also said that they are probably at the end of raising rates.

Stocks soared after they said they were nearing the end of raising rates.

Powell then said that although they were nearing the end of raising rates, that there would definitely be no rate cuts for the next year. Stocks then immediately reversed and tanked 2.5% in under 15 minutes.

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1638601675609915392

And the SEC has charged a bunch of celebrities and influencers with illegally promoting securities by telling their fans and followers to buy specific cryptocoins, who were paying them for their endorsement without making it public that the endorsement was sponsored:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1638629619548172293

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Class3KillStorm posted:

Right, but assuming that the board uses that option to increase the coverage of the "Don't Say Gay" Bill to cover all grades through high school, is there any recourse for the people of Florida here? Beyond "elect a more liberal governor in 2 years and have them overturn it" or "move to a less hateful state"?
There have been lawsuits over the law but as far as I know most of them have been dismissed already

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Especially when the difference between the reddest states and the bluest ones isn't that dramatic in terms of party affiliation. Every state has at least ~40% chud population. Having a few percentage more blue voters doesn't make you righteous, it makes you lucky.

Yeah, seriously. Less than two full decades ago, Florida was considered an eminently contestable purple battleground state that could easily go either way in any given election, and now it's the bleeding edge of the chud vanguard. Look at states like Georgia and North Carolina, which were traditionally bulwarks of the red south who are trending increasingly purple. The line between "good blue state" and "awful red chud state" is not nearly as wide as a lot of people seem to believe.

Byzantine posted:

As someone trapped in one of those shitholes, do it anyway. My death doesn't matter when all of your lives would be immediately and permanently improved by kicking Kentucky out of the union.

Friend, I don't think you deserve to die because you happen to live in a place currently controlled by a bad political party.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yeah, seriously. Less than two full decades ago, Florida was considered an eminently contestable purple battleground state that could easily go either way in any given election, and now it's the bleeding edge of the chud vanguard. Look at states like Georgia and North Carolina, which were traditionally bulwarks of the red south who are trending increasingly purple. The line between "good blue state" and "awful red chud state" is not nearly as wide as a lot of people seem to believe.

Friend, I don't think you deserve to die because you happen to live in a place currently controlled by a bad political party.
I've never really understood that, because as a Floridian we have been almost entirely under GOP rule at the state level since the 1990s. The last Dem governor was in the early 1990s. Yes, we voted for Obama twice, but that has been the outlier and Trump has activated a lot of lovely people in this state that were not that previously politically active. Top that off with the fact that the FL Dems are a total joke and have been for a long time, and you end up in the situation where now you have full mask-off GOP control of the state and they can basically do anything they want.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Class3KillStorm posted:

Nope.

They passed the bill already last year and it is in effect. One of the provisions in the law they passed said that the board could expand it if they wanted.

DeSantis appointed the head of Department of Education.

The head of the DOE is now asking the state Board of Education to do so.

The board will vote and the board is the only one with a vote.

There was a court challenge by some Florida parents, but the court said that nobody could provide proof of any damages to have standing to sue. So, there is still a tiny window of possibility for a court challenge, but someone would have to suffer direct provable harm and then sue. A general chilling effect due to teachers/students not wanting to talk about it isn't specific enough.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Fed meeting just ended as well.

Yellen was also having a press conference at the same time, so that news was mixed into the market reaction.

EG- https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1638616278716825600

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Never thought I'd be reminded of the existence of the TV show Major Dad, let alone via a treason trial.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They're literally attempting to genocide trans people at this point, and I dunno probably other flavours of LGBTQ people too, I think it's disheartening how little the non-CHUDs are really attempting to do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know that this is A) red meat for fundamentalists and B) a reason to ban LGBT teachers as a whole from teaching, but you have to wonder how many true believers really think they can protect their 18 year olds from the concept of that it is possible to be gay. It's *everywhere* now, especially online. Hell, the same rule basically applied to my education in the Midwest and basically everyone I know came out in college, including me, and it was still not a positive thing to be queer in the 00s.

It's just such an insane delusion that you have to wonder how it can even be propped up.

I think it's at least partly based on the incredibly stupid mindset that being gay or any other flavor of LGBT is a choice.
That you just woke up one day and said "Yeah, I am choosing to only be attracted to dudes.", and that with enough punishment you'll learn your lesson and stop trying to make your parents look bad in front of the church group.