Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

.25 is so boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

great MoM Fed balance sheet visualization

euphronius posted:

.25 is so boring

agreed

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

all fine and good i guess if your society doesn't need medicines, industrial machinery and parts, rare earth minerals, etc and you're assuming 2 nuclear powers would engage in conventional warfare without either side getting desperate enough to start waving icbms around

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
hah

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Spoondick posted:

all fine and good i guess if your society doesn't need medicines, industrial machinery and parts, rare earth minerals, etc and you're assuming 2 nuclear powers would engage in conventional warfare without either side getting desperate enough to start waving icbms around

Almost exactly the point. The deterrence is credible enough that no one moves.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

hell yeah dude oorah to ashes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jaxyon posted:

so basically even though it literally says in the bond terms that this was a possibility they're hoping they have enough white shoe lawyers to make a country back down?

yeah, that's how international business works

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Spoondick posted:

also our new Goebbels forgot how his team got clowned at iran 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's going to be like 3 banks left at the end of this.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638623327953494022

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
lol banks get free money everyone else gets to eat poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You probably shouldn't be saying this kinda stuff if you want to avoid bank runs! Just saying!

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638624081187840000

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

How do I become a bank? I've got like $20 of loose change in a piggy bank at home

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
volume on the SPY went nuts at 2pm

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
old person bewildered by the speed of modern events

also one of the most powerful people in the world

cool

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spaced God posted:

Someone smarter than me tell me what this means

jpow blinked and is turning on the money hoses full blast by end of year

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oglethorpe posted:

volume on the SPY went nuts at 2pm

2PM is when the rate hike was announced. Whole market was waiting all week for this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"The troubled First Republic Bank, which is searching for a buyer, has been offering highly competitive specials on short-term C.D.s: It has a seven-month C.D. with a rate of 4.95 percent and a four-month C.D. carrying a rate of 4.75 percent."

Big opportunity!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC is down -12%. PACW -14%

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

FRC is down -12%. PACW -14%

lol I’m closing an account at PACW this afternoon

I’m helping!!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
buy the crash

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Barrel Cactaur posted:

lmao the US would take 5 years to replace a single ship. The US is incapable of switching to the command economy necessary to fight a real war against anyone even remotely capable of fighting back

Also the US would basically break down within a few months without the constant supply of goods from China.

E: Also the Chinese arent belligerent blood thirsty monsters like the US. China isnt going to launch a war, but the US is easily the most evil nation on earth and might do it out of spite if things keep getting worse at home

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Mar 22, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC -15%

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's going to be like 3 banks left at the end of this.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638623327953494022

Yeah, that’s the main goal of Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics. Only the biggest will survive because only the biggest are supported.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
i was promised blood

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

i was promised blood

The market reversed a +2% day and is currently -0.85% because of Yellen spooking everyone

FRC and PACW are both -16% and seem like candidates to go bust this week/later this weekend.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

They say credit conditions are tightening but I still keep getting mailers from banks begging me to borrow enormous sums of money from them for no reason

Same. Chase keeps sending me emails begging me to take out a mortgage that's like 5x my annual gross income, telling me I'm pre-approved even though I never asked and they're just waiting to write me a check.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Guessing CDs aren't insured by the FDIC

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

Guessing CDs aren't insured by the FDIC

They are

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

oh, well then

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In Training posted:

I wonder if there are there any US industrial capitalists around with any sway left who will get pissed about this.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637971685751025666?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1638614961038712833?s=20

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

funds are stored in the balls

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao the US would take 5 years to replace a single ship. The US is incapable of switching to the command economy necessary to fight a real war against anyone even remotely capable of fighting back

Also the US would basically break down within a few months without the constant supply of goods from China.

E: Also the Chinese arent belligerent blood thirsty monsters like the US. China isnt going to launch a war, but the US is easily the most evil nation on earth and might do it out of spite if things keep getting worse at home

remember when we needed to source a bunch of simple cloth masks and couldn't do it

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I feel like the fed is gonna stand ready to do 0.25% increases until inflation goes away, but will constantly revise expectations to imply maybe this was the last one. Kind of a cowards way to inch towards the level rates might actually need to be to reduce inflation (without, idk, taxing the rich or fixing supply chains or labor shortages or some other radical and implausible approach)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOUR

FUNDS

ARE

SAFU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
lol everything's cratering

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PACW is about to go below $10. FRC hovering at -17%

Are we gonna get a double bank collapse this week? 🙏

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

can people clancychat about a war that won't happen somewhere that won't sully Number's temple

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe banks could raise the rates they pay on deposits

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

Same as it ever was since 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

can people clancychat about a war that won't happen somewhere that won't sully Number's temple

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884265