Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

The US military has been at war for the last generation, so it has that much going for it.

Of course massacring civilians and lobbing missiles at people with no radar or AA coverage or even weapons from 30,000 feet is a very different kind of warfare than attacking people who can actually fight back lol. Like what the does the Air Force even look like when they actually start losing airframes and pilots to more than the occasional mechanical issue? IIRC for an 80s fulda gap scenario the A-10 fleet (all of it) was given a life expectancy of about 2 weeks and likely the rest of the AF is similar.

I just started reading a book about this. The lowest point of the British Army in the Great War, in terms of deserting and surrendering to the enemy at a pretty wild 8:1 compared to KIA, was when the professional army that had been on colonial adventures met the German army from August-November 1914. It had the highest rate of self inflicted injuries too, even among officers.

I was reading an unrelated book about British Staff Officers and a bunch of them had nervous breakdowns or shot themselves in the first few weeks of the war during the retreat from Mons because they could not handle what actual war was like, despite having 15, 20 year careers in the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but America will always lose a conventional war against China.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hope Sacks chokes on a pretzel. Subintelligent parasite.

https://twitter.com/GordonJohnson19/status/1638641297203539968

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hubbert posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but America will always lose a war

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1638638434725302272

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
who’s kendra lust

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im pretty sure the american military higher-ups know full well a war with china would be insane at least some of them im sure theres plenty of imbeciles just like every other rotted sector

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

who’s kendra lust

what do you think a woman with the showbiz surname "lust" does

Morbus
May 18, 2004

who’s kendra lust

I DONT KNOW FIRST IVE HEARD OF HER

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
America has lsot the Mandate of Heaven.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HallelujahLee posted:

im pretty sure the american military higher-ups know full well a war with china would be insane at least some of them im sure theres plenty of imbeciles just like every other rotted sector

Twas always thus. The Soviets never looked like they could take Europe and the missile gap was overblown, but that doesn't make the budgets bigger.

The ideal scenario for the Pentagon would be another cold war, they can use the boogeyman of the Reds to pad budgets and justify all kinds of poo poo without ever needing to do anything.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

who’s kendra lust

Michele Mason

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

HallelujahLee posted:

This is why we love Taiwan. Nice and easy cold/indirect war

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah continuing their grift is the number one objective something like 70% of the military budget is unaccounted for

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

this guy gets off on making number go up and down while he talks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_zs8AwoTQ

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Two so utterly intertwined economies going to war seems dumb as poo poo for all involved.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yudo posted:

war seems dumb as poo poo for all involved.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Morbus posted:

I DONT KNOW FIRST IVE HEARD OF HER

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Okay, point taken. How about "more dumb than usual, which is also really dumb."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Hirsute posted:

what do you think a woman with the showbiz surname "lust" does

cooking channel

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Yudo posted:

Two so utterly intertwined economies going to war seems dumb as poo poo for all involved.

Interdependence didn't prevent WWI from happening. I don't think it ever prevents a war.

Generally, wars usually do not happen when the countries involved are acting intelligently, right? it's a dumb way to solve problems.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HallelujahLee posted:

There's a list of books about it, but I haven't read any because boats are dumb. No links because I'm not hunting them all down:

War Transformed: The Future of Twenty-First-Century Great Power Competition and Conflict
Strategy Shelved: The Collapse of Cold War Naval Strategic Planning
China as a Twenty-First-Century Naval Power: Theory, Practice, and Implications
Great Powers, Grand Strategies: The New Game in the South China Sea
Red Star over the Pacific
Anatomy of Failure: Why America Loses Every War it Starts
China’s Quest for Great Power: Ships, Oil, and Foreign Policy
Chinese Grand Strategy and Maritime Power
Southeast Asia and the Rise of Chinese and Indian Naval Power: Between Rising Naval Powers
Chinese Naval Strategy in the 21st Century: The Turn to Mahan
The Great Wall at Sea: China's Navy in the Twenty-First Century
Navies in Multipolar Worlds: From the Age of Sail to the Present

The premise seems to be: They realize the US is kind of hosed longterm but they figure they can use the ships they already have before then. Doesn't seem to be the best plan to me, but I'm not trying to defend maritime hegemony because I went to Georgetown and talk about Athens all the time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

now Akon can finally go to jail for real

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

treasury secretaries should be towering in height. Never again will our economy be managed by such a small spirit

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor

as someone involved with the building of the US’ conventional Navy, I assure you that we can’t build or rebuild it quickly

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Q-sixtysix posted:

as someone involved with the building of the US’ conventional Navy, I assure you that we can’t build or rebuild it quickly

there's an unconventional one?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Palladium posted:

The beautiful boaters.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Q-sixtysix posted:

Worth reminding people that it takes years to build a single warship no matter how many you can queue up in a turn in grand strategy games

We had like half a decade to build ships for world war 2; we recovered from Pearl harbor because those ships were already being built.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hitler's Navy wasn't supposed to be complete until 1948.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

The US won't last 72hrs in a real war without going to the nukes and will lose anyways

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

China should upgrade BRICS into a mutual defense pact and start building supply depots on the coast of Brazil. Get Cuba in on it too so they've got a supply line going to the eastern US coast.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the RIC part is pretty close to that

if I means Iran

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Surely privatizing the yards had helped because the private sector is always more efficient and innovative than big government?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the only rapper who needs to eat poo poo for this is souljaboy, fuckin ron popeil fradulent rear end motherfucker

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

Surely privatizing the yards had helped because the private sector is always more efficient and innovative than big government?

my favorite neolib story is singapore privatizing public transport to wholly government-owned corpos AND it still loving sucked in the 2010s before renationalization. Because they were too busy playing RE landlords instead of maintenance and expansion

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
banks falling apart but sure lets spend another few pages on thucydides trap

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Palladium posted:

I was using the same term that I quoted, is all

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mirthless posted:

Worth reminding people that it takes years to build a single warship no matter how many you can queue up in a turn in grand strategy games

We had like half a decade to build ships for world war 2; we recovered from Pearl harbor because those ships were already being built.

and there's only like what, half the global shipbuilding capacity is in china?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

Like supplying lower quality steel to the Navy.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/former-lab-director-sentenced-prison-falsifying-results-steel-testing-parts-navy-subs

One would consider this an act of treason, but one of would be wrong. I also highly doubt their fall-lady acted alone, but hopefully Bradken is hooking her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell yeah lol

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638652833141604354