Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Macichne Leainig posted:

Oh there's no question there's a skill issue here. Frankly I am probably overreacting to events going on in my games too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not like, quitting the game or anything, it's still fun as is :shrug:

Watch some LPs? Stellaris is a game that's too bothersome to play optimally and the devs seem to be aware of that and thus you can play the game 30% optimally and still crush it, for the most part.

If you're having problems early on, look at different empire builds. Try the clone army origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Oh there's no question there's a skill issue here. Frankly I am probably overreacting to events going on in my games too.

Don't get me wrong I'm not like, quitting the game or anything, it's still fun as is :shrug:
I'm not kidding, man, I want that save file. I want to help you, but right now I'm guessing blind.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Seconding Clone Army as a good "easy" origin. If you can snag a Relic world (80% of the time the Rubricator world) as one of your first 3 colonies it's pretty simple to snowball from there. Take Functional Architecture a one of your civics, the rapid pop growth early game makes cheaper districts and extra buildings very nice to have.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

(Side note: is there a way to influence your vassals to adopt your ethics? I don't see any espionage actions or vassal agreements or holdings that'd do it.)

Only one I know is that if you have the shared burdens ethic, you can use a holding that increases egalitarian ethics attraction by a lot

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've been away a while and I'm trying to get caught up to the mechanics again. I think pre-overlord DLC was when I last played.

Are defense platforms and/or defensive stations worth it now? I know they were supposedly getting buffed at some point, but dunno if it was worth much.

Are frigates/bombers any good?

Did army/invasion updates ever happen? Seems like not, but I can dream.

Are orbital defenses any good?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Firebert posted:

Only one I know is that if you have the shared burdens ethic, you can use a holding that increases egalitarian ethics attraction by a lot

It also adds a full point of loyalty, which can help a lot.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Firebert posted:

There is a series of laws scaling up to 75% ethics attraction in the Galactic Community. Very good.

EDIT: Wasn't seeing it in the wiki but it's called Bureaucratic Surveillance and it gives 75% ethics attraction to an Overlord's Fanatic Ethic.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 22, 2023

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Does the Archaeologist trait on a scientist actually do anything? It seems to take 90 days to dig at a site regardless of if I have the trait or not.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The Bramble posted:

Does the Archaeologist trait on a scientist actually do anything? It seems to take 90 days to dig at a site regardless of if I have the trait or not.

Less failure rolls and less likely to get negative events wrt to the site.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Played some Fear of the Dark last night. This is a really fun role-play origin!

I set myself up as an idealistic foundation to counterbalance the nutcases on Haven. Egalitarian, but with Xenophobe and Militarist to represent that a good chunk of the population feels like Haven does, just not enough to run off.

Spent most of the game taking the high road, but my people found out last night that Haven was right!. So we said gently caress that, aliens are HORRIBLE. Let's kill 'em all."

Now we're Fanatic Purifiers.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 23, 2023

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

ConfusedUs posted:

Played some Fear of the Dark last night. This is a really fun role-play origin!

I set myself up as an idealistic foundation to counterbalance the nutcases on Haven. Egalitarian, but with Xenophobe and Militarist to represent that a good chunk of the population feels like Haven does, just not enough to run off.

Spent most of the game taking the high road, but my people found out last night that Haven was right!. So we said gently caress that, aliens are HORRIBLE. Let's kill 'em all."

Now we're Fanatic Purifiers.

Neat. Did you decide that on your own or was that an option for an event? Thinking about trying out that origin next.

E: I just realized you can’t reform your govt/ethics to include FP can you?

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 23, 2023

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've not used spies very much in previous games. Is it possible to break up rival federations with smear campaigns? I'm playing Broken Shackles and need to isolate MSI if I'm to have a chance of getting total revenge

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Neat. Did you decide that on your own or was that an option for an event? Thinking about trying out that origin next.

E: I just realized you can’t reform your govt/ethics to include FP can you?

It's an option from the event when you find out THE TRUTH. You can choose the high ground, or not.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 23, 2023

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bitterandtwisted posted:

I've not used spies very much in previous games. Is it possible to break up rival federations with smear campaigns? I'm playing Broken Shackles and need to isolate MSI if I'm to have a chance of getting total revenge

I've never had it work on its own to break up an entire federation even when I had smear campaigns going on against every member of the federation.

I was working hard on a federation where one member had opposing ethics and that member did leave the federation. Like everyone else was materialist/egalitarian and these were spiritual authoritarians. How/why they ended up in the federation in the first place, I dunno. I also don't know if it was me who got them kicked out, or just because they were weird opposing ethics, or a bit of both.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
In this patch I’ve actually seen the AI boot someone out of a federation, completely on their own without my meddling. I vaguely recall them making adjustments to prevent the giant vassal/fed blobs?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
They hired a dracula to do the communist VO in this game. It is very unnerving and unnecessarily scary

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shared Burdens Necrophages are fun though. "We're all in this together and also we noticed your Gore Tax was a little light this month."

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ConfusedUs posted:

It's an option from the event when you find out THE TRUTH. You can choose the high ground, or not.

I'm kind of disappointed the Mass Driver wasn't really usable. The Fevorians got taken over by a machine uprising before I could reveal my presence to them, so the ending was just a bit meh.. Really tempted to make a mod that lets you re-build it using hyperlane breaching like science ships for One Last Shot...

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I didn't see anything about it in the patch notes, but the AI does seem less likely to blob into one or two federations in 3.7, definitely enjoying the late game more now.

Also I take back what I said about the Baol food building. I'm running an overtuned plant hive mind going genetic ascension and the extra food really helps stop my clone vats from crippling my economy. I've only gotten the Baol and the Irrassians this patch but the Irrassians still seem like the weakest precursor even with the their pseudo megashipyard building

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ConfusedUs posted:

Running into a possible bug from this event.

When the mass driver event begins, I research every available countermeasure. Yet, the mass driver destroys my homeworld every time. Is there something I'm not doing that I should be?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I had a super long effortpost written yesterday about my efforts to conquer the galaxy, but then my break ended and no one wants to read all that poo poo anyway. So I’ll just say game real good. Only logged in like 20 hours so far but I’m having a blast.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
MSI faced a machine uprising and I was like "haha, yeah, take that you fuckers!" and opened up diplomatic relations with the killbots.

Pictured: MSI and their allies not loving around, and directly to the right, my total fleet strength, which I'd previously thought was pretty good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, the way fleets' damage works in Stellaris, you can defeat each of the fleets that aren't bigger than yours without taking many losses. The biggest fleet is roughly the size of your fleet, so you could probably beat it by just purpose-building your ships to beat theirs.

So really, all you have to do is survive long enough to eclipse that main fleet. You can also punch way, way above your #s by fighting an enemy fleet next to a starbase you built with the right attachments.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

jokes posted:

Well, the way fleets' damage works in Stellaris, you can defeat each of the fleets that aren't bigger than yours without taking many losses. The biggest fleet is roughly the size of your fleet, so you could probably beat it by just purpose-building your ships to beat theirs.

So really, all you have to do is survive long enough to eclipse that main fleet. You can also punch way, way above your #s by fighting an enemy fleet next to a starbase you built with the right attachments.
I know, sheesh. It's not even my war, I was just watching the robot uprising and then being utterly shocked by how much power they were able to concentrate.

That'd be an unwinnable hypothetical war, though. Too many fleets that eclipse mine, which means I'd need to double up everywhere, and they have so goddamn many that I'd be either hit on every side or they'd clump up into overwhelming force. Defeating them in detail would let dozens of other fleets run rampant and take all my systems, and I can't defeat them in force. I've got allies too, but nobody swinging half that much weight.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 23, 2023

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

drat and I was all excited about getting a fleet to 20k yesterday lol.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CapnAndy posted:

MSI faced a machine uprising and I was like "haha, yeah, take that you fuckers!" and opened up diplomatic relations with the killbots.

Pictured: MSI and their allies not loving around, and directly to the right, my total fleet strength, which I'd previously thought was pretty good.

The Shantarian Hegemony is just happy to be there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CapnAndy posted:

I know, sheesh. It's not even my war, I was just watching the robot uprising and then being utterly shocked by how much power they were able to concentrate.

That'd be an unwinnable hypothetical war, though. Too many fleets that eclipse mine, which means I'd need to double up everywhere, and they have so goddamn many that I'd be either hit on every side or they'd clump up into overwhelming force. Defeating them in detail would let dozens of other fleets run rampant and take all my systems, and I can't defeat them in force. I've got allies too, but nobody swinging half that much weight.

This is why I always try to identify chokepoints, so that I don't have to maintain multiple empires' worth of fleets to defend against multiple fleets.

Not that it matters, really, because war is always just a measure of your alloy production capabilities and you can generally replace fleets faster than it takes to get them to where they're supposed to be anyways.

I often find myself getting to a part where planet invasions aren't as in-character for how spiteful I get over particularly rude enemy empires so I just orbital bombardment the planets until they're empty. Become the hunter in the forest!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An enemy fleet just appeared across the galaxy inside my territory. This is Ironman mode so I feel like the AI is cheating and just ruined my game. What is going on? I don't play much.

They got here faster than my own fleet could get there from my homeworld. Is this a bug? The enemy empire is on the complete other side of the galaxy.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 24, 2023

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Arglebargle III posted:

An enemy fleet just appeared across the galaxy inside my territory. This is Ironman mode so I feel like the AI is cheating and just ruined my game. What is going on? I don't play much.

They got here faster than my own fleet could get there from my homeworld. Is this a bug? The enemy empire is on the complete other side of the galaxy.
Jump Drive or Quantum Catapult are the possibilities, both pretty late game. Jump Drive gives the fleet a 50% debuff, the Catapult doesn’t but it’s a Megastructure so you should be able to spot who built one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Talkie Toaster posted:

Jump Drive or Quantum Catapult are the possibilities, both pretty late game. Jump Drive gives the fleet a 50% debuff, the Catapult doesn’t but it’s a Megastructure so you should be able to spot who built one.
Other possibilities are wormhole, l-gate, friendly gateway nearby, or they just had the fleet already nearby but outside your sensor range.

Wormholes and L-Gates are massive gaping security holes and I hate them but I'd never turn them off, because they keep me honest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a way to just turn off criminal syndicates? It's a feature that never should have gone into the game.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a way to just turn off criminal syndicates? It's a feature that never should have gone into the game.

I feel you bud. The only thing less fun than playing against one is playing as one. Megacorps in general need attention

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

I feel you bud. The only thing less fun than playing against one is playing as one. Megacorps in general need attention

Regular megacorps are great. Criminal megacorps are for trolling. Being trolled by the AI is kind of annoying.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Regular megacorps are great. Criminal megacorps are for trolling. Being trolled by the AI is kind of annoying.

Megacorps share too much and play too similarly to regular empires. Branch offices are a chore and the expansion planner is no help to them. I like the idea of a small trade focused tall empire, but Megacorps fall short.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arglebargle III posted:

You most likely have a wormhole in your space somewhere. And just because you haven’t researched Wormhole Stabilization yet doesn’t mean they haven’t

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really like the idea of Criminal Syndicates and it's a shame they didn't go far enough with them.

I really want them to work like Umbral Choir in Endless Space 2.
A parasitic empire that can't expand normally and can only siphon resources off other empires.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
My problem with Megacorps is that "playing tall" is hobbled in Stellaris, since pops comprise most of your late game Empire Size. If colonies and/or systems (preferably systems, since densely populated systems "feels" tall) were weighted higher, and pop size contribution reduced, they might be more appealing.

Also holy poo poo, seconding a game option to turn off Criminal Syndicates. They're not fun to play as, and unless I'm bordering the one harassing me, they're cause enough to drop a run I'm not super invested in.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hard agree. Megacorps should get a rework and Crime Syndicates especially.

I still wish it was more of a game within a game like the CK2 merchant republics. Rather than "Oh you're a normal empire with worse civic selection and one extra feature"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’ve seen the devs express dissatisfaction with the state of Megacorps on reddit so, would not be surprised to see that poo poo get Custodian’d in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Branch offices being power crept by overlord holdings didn’t help it much either
Trade value gets obliterated by technician bonuses, too
And the empire size penalty is pretty awful
At least they can make more mercs? idk