Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

hilarious

like they've been working with their (now) old engine for a decade and UE5 comes out and completely dunks on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
No joke they're going to switch to UE5 this year.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

No way they do, imo. Epic has pretty strict pricing guidelines and absolutely will sue them if they try to pull the "oh no this isn't sales it's pledges" poo poo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sankis posted:

No way they do, imo. Epic has pretty strict pricing guidelines and absolutely will sue them if they try to pull the "oh no this isn't sales it's pledges" poo poo

I'm curious to know what they are seeing as how Fortnite is predatory as hell, despite what Epic claims.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Thoatse posted:

I know it's no StarEngineTM but Unreal 5.2 is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

Legitimately impressive video. Literally the next-gen procedural stuff that CIG pretends it has.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Legitimately impressive video. Now that's how you proc gen a river!

I'm actually so glad they started talking about proc gen stuff. At the start of the video I was thinking "oh god, how long are artists going to have to be working to get that level of detail???".

But yeah, Unreal engines seems pretty amazing. Just wish they'd put out another single player game! Unreal was one of my favorite fps. Such a great game. ....er let's not mention unreal 2. Think that ship has well past though alas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sandweed posted:

As the resident computer toucher, one of my friends did ask me to spec up a rig that could run Star Citizen in 2017.
I'm 40. I've only built three PCs since I graduated high school twenty-two years ago. I run them until the wheels fall off, repurposing them for lesser and lesser tasks as their replacements take over as my daily driver.

I have now built two PCs in part with the intention of running Star Citizen and loving neither of them will run it AND it looks like poo poo.

Jesus Christ, what a loving joke of a game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What do you expect for $600 million? Sheesh.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

now that trash is in the game, the players can start working on the real content: Anti Littering Ad Campaigns

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I would never upgrade my ‘puter over a singular game. I also don’t care about graphics at all and have a large steam backlog

Edit also stuff looks fine with a 1060 and 6 GB of vram :shrug:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
How many job openings does CIG have that have been unfilled for over four months? Or for over four years?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/that-plum-job-listing-may-just-be-a-ghost-3aafc794?mod=mhp

WSJ posted:

Though businesses are keeping job postings up, many roles aren’t being filled, recruiters say.

Hiring managers acknowledge as much. In a survey of more than 1,000 hiring managers last summer, 27% reported having job postings up for more than four months. Among those who said they advertised job postings that they weren’t actively trying to fill, close to half said they kept the ads up to give the impression the company was growing, according to Clarify Capital, a small-business-loan provider behind the study. One-third of the managers who said they advertised jobs they weren’t trying to fill said they kept the listings up to placate overworked employees.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG has 114 job openings, many of them for lead and senior positions.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

i am a moron posted:

I would never upgrade my ‘puter over a singular game. I also don’t care about graphics at all and have a large steam backlog

LividLiquid posted:

I have now built two PCs in part with the intention of running Star Citizen

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
As usual, FUDsters miss forests for the trees. While other games cheat their gradual performance degradation with so-called 'memory leaks,' SC physicalizes it all with ever-accumulating trash piles. SC once again saving PC gaming.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Just saying wasn’t trying to call you out

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol so many great bits in the latest Piss Cat wall of text.

I love this one.

quote:

The Speech by Admiral Bishop takes place in the Senate on Earth and while it isn't a slam dunk on that basis we do know that one of the very earliest stretch goals was for a 4th landing zone on Earth as well as New York, Moscow and Shanghai.

A pre-rendered cutscene from 6? 8? years ago with Gary Parpman on earth definitely means that CIG has a 1:1 recreation of the entire planet sitting in a secret dev build. And you’re a fool! And absolute buffoon who hasn’t studied the sacred texts like me, if you think otherwise!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I still lean towards the idea that he’s a deep cover goon though, I mean even the biggest White Knights on Reddit have bargained themselves down and quietly moved the goal posts. But I hope for my own entertainment that there’s really someone out there with a mind so throughly broken by the Crobbler :crobear:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Thoatse posted:

Yeah but can you stack trash in the back of that truck, then drive away as your frame-rate drops to single digits, and the truck gyrates wildly before exploding, and you loose the gear you paid hundreds of real life $$$ for?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/CQbQHm8.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

What do you expect for $600 million? Sheesh.

Early days!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thread favorite Lethality made a guest appearance in this Kira video about EVE Online's developer pivoting into blockchain games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llP4ljMak6U&t=506s

Starting at 8:26, the entire rest of the video is pretty much Kira reading + mocking Lethality's defense of blockchain gaming in the comments section of an article.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Thoatse posted:

In the fall they will demo 5.3 and show off their built in spaceship game auto-generation tools.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Popete posted:

In the 'Verse even the trash man isn't safe.

lol the brown sea is losing its mind over this!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

In the fall they will demo 5.3 and show off their built in spaceship game auto-generation tools.

Instead of having multiple sliders for the dimensions of the ship and so on they should just have a single $$$ slider for the procedural vessel

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Thread favorite Lethality made a guest appearance in this Kira video about EVE Online's developer pivoting into blockchain games:

Starting at 8:26, the entire rest of the video is pretty much Kira reading + mocking Lethality's defense of blockchain gaming in the comments section of an article.

Lol I feel bad for EVE fans.

Don’t worry though, when CIG launches Crobbler coin it will be rock solid, due to being pegged to the current value of a five star Monaco vacation.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

trucutru posted:

Instead of having multiple sliders for the dimensions of the ship and so on they should just have a single $$$ slider for the procedural vessel

Imagine an Unreal and ChatGPT style combo, where you just describe your game to the engine, and it makes it.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

XK posted:

Imagine an Unreal and ChatGPT style combo, where you just describe your game to the engine, and it makes it.

Replace Unreal with Starengine and ChatGPT with programmers 'layering in the code', and you have Robert E Space's development plan.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Experimental Skin posted:

Replace Unreal with Starengine and ChatGPT with programmers 'layering in the code', and you have Robert E Space's development plan.

Just gotta add 500 million and poof you have CIG

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mirificus posted:

If there weren't a series in the franchise perhaps some would decry not being able to endlessly replay new characters but the whole point of Squadron 42 is that you play your own hero through the whole saga. You don't get to replay a new character in Halo or COD the price of creating your own character and continuing it - has a price there are no do-overs in real life, no-one has issues with that.

PissCat is trying to convince people that it's actually a good thing that in Sq42 you need to rebuy the game if want to replay the story.

I have no idea what he means with the Halo and COD thing? I haven't played COD games in many years, but isn't the single player portion always just a regular single player game? You can reload and restart as much as you want?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lobsterminator posted:

PissCat is trying to convince people that it's actually a good thing that in Sq42 you need to rebuy the game if want to replay the story.

I have no idea what he means with the Halo and COD thing? I haven't played COD games in many years, but isn't the single player portion always just a regular single player game? You can reload and restart as much as you want?

That whole paragraph is so loving weird, it feels like he didn't finish fleshing out and editing a bunch of disconnected notes, or like it was written by bad AI.

I THINK he's saying you don't get to play a new, unique character every playthrough of Halo, COD, etc., as the story just dictates who your character is every time. And in his opinion the superior option is to not allow level select, but force you to play from the start as a new unique character every time, like SQ42 will (in his fever dream).

It's not even a new idea, that's how many games work, like Borderlands and open world games.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 23, 2023

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I THINK he's saying you don't get to play a new, unique character every playthrough of Halo, COD, etc., as the story just dictates who your character is every time. And in his opinion the superior option is to not allow level select, but force you to play from the start as a new unique character every time, like SQ42 will (in his fever dream).

It's not even a new idea, that's how many games work, like Borderlands and open world games.

No, he has posted pretty much the same rant dozens of times. The gist of it is that you only get to play SQ42's story once. If you want to play again you have to buy another character slot or another copy of SQ42.

It's quite the novel idea. Completely bonkers (and lovely) but novel.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

No, he has posted pretty much the same rant dozens of times. The gist of it is that you only get to play SQ42's story once. If you want to play again you have to buy another character slot or another copy of SQ42.

Maybe PESCat's right, this is how CIG is going to do it, and it's all part of their master plan to distract reviewers from talking about what the actual game is like by giving them a big plate of steaming DISCOURSE to write about instead. It'll be like "Okay, sure, the plot is dumb and the graphics are outdated and the gameplay is janky beyond belief BUT ANYWAY CAN YOU BELIEVE that this SINGLE-PLAYER GAME has to be REPURCHASED if you want to play it again from scratch? (insert 500 words on the horrifying capitalist hellscape CIG has concocted)"

Or, more likely, this is some Death-of-a-Spaceman-tier idiocy that dribbled out of Crobbler's mouth years ago and because nobody at CIG gives a poo poo, they're just going to let it ride. What does it matter? Maybe some other idiots will buy pledge more copies of Squadron 42, which will never have to be refunded because it's not like Squadron 42 is anywhere close to being done, and never will be.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I just realized that we'll reach page 2945, the year Squadron 42 takes place, before it actually releases. Looking forward to posting on the SQ42 page already

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

That's pretty much what I'm saying, I was just trying to explain his mention of COD and Halo. Basically it's hard to tell what he's trying to say about those games when he's smelling burnt toast.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm curious to know what they are seeing as how Fortnite is predatory as hell, despite what Epic claims.

Any kind of rules about pricing Epic may have would have absolutely nothing to do with predatory practices and absolutely everything to do with making sure they get their cut, you have wildly misinterpreted the concept of ‘pricing rules’ in this scenario.

Presumably the engine license would include a slice of the revenue pie and there’d be a slap fight about whether or not the pledges are sales.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Just because all the previous attempts were scams doesn't mean THIS time it's a scam..."
that's the Lethality content we deserve

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... I have a really dumb question, but if SQ42 is supposed to be some "Each copy can only be played through once, because ~reasons~ and each pilot is a special, unique character who's choices have a larger impact outside of SQ42"... have they actually said what happens when you die in the game? Because I can easily see them pulling some "Oops, your character died. You'll have to buy another copy and start from scratch" nonsense and then throwing in a massive difficulty spike near the start and end (and probably a few in the middle as well) that's virtually guaranteed to be a meat grinder as an attempt to fleece more money from the spacewhales.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Randalor posted:

So... I have a really dumb question, but if SQ42 is supposed to be some "Each copy can only be played through once, because ~reasons~ and each pilot is a special, unique character who's choices have a larger impact outside of SQ42"... have they actually said what happens when you die in the game? Because I can easily see them pulling some "Oops, your character died. You'll have to buy another copy and start from scratch" nonsense and then throwing in a massive difficulty spike near the start and end (and probably a few in the middle as well) that's virtually guaranteed to be a meat grinder as an attempt to fleece more money from the spacewhales.

Death of a Spaceman

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

chadbear posted:

I just realized that we'll reach page 2945, the year Squadron 42 takes place, before it actually releases. Looking forward to posting on the SQ42 page already
You'll have to buy another forums account if you want to post again after that page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

There have been communications on this topic and CIG have even stated they intend foliage to be bendable, reactive to wind, even the season (eventually) and destructible.

Check out the promo video for the Carrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBg3BTbcLo

Also let's not forget, it's not really relevant to compare a massive open world multiplayer game with single player games set in a small locale. The maximum map size of a UE5 map at max quality settings is very small.. only "21km² (well, 20.9707km² to be exact)" example that's 4.5km x 4.5km.. absolutely miniscule compared to even Star Citizen's smallest moon and UE5 maps are not designed to be flown over at high speed. You can extend the size of the map in UE5 but it comes at a big cost to quality. No-one will be making a game with UE5 that comes even close to the massive expanses there are in Star Citizen, even with drastically lowered quality settings, it doesn't have 64bit precision.

quote:

quote:

even with drastically lowered quality settings, it doesn't have 64bit precision.
UE5 does have 64 bit precision and has for a while. but do not fear. we will get all the milage we need out of this 2002 first person shooter engine. When it is ready of course.

quote:

Do you have a source for the 64bit precision claim for UE5 I know it was announced as 'Double Precision - Large Open World' maps briefly on their official website as an update but then it was taken off again. It's not in the Engine yet afaik. Some forumites are answering in the positive that it is, but again linking to the now deleted / removed section of the website that had it briefly. (That entry to the UE update page was deleted 2 years ago and there is no further information on the update page regarding it since).

Either way, you'll never see vegetation at that level of detail and density on their Large Open World maps even if they do put it in... there's no consumer grade PC hardware that could handle it certainly not at the draw distances SC uses... if they did have that they would be shouting it from the rooftops not making a single vehicle drive around a few hundred metres of forest in their latest promos. I remain sceptical. AFAIK there is no large open world game being released or developed on UE5. I am happy to be educated on the matter however.

quote:

Its been in UE 5.0. https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/large-world-coordinates-in-unreal-engine-5/

But I don't know if theres any examples of people rendering far away objects like SC does. maybe the things that get displayed are still only within the 20km local world partition, and things are streamed in as they move around. I learn a little bit every time i start reading about these. I'd be interested if there is some way out already existing or by using some trickery to do the same thing SC does for long distance objects.