Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

glynnenstein posted:

There are Kontakt-1 packages for T-55 series tanks, such as on the T-55AMV:

There's also the T-55AM with appliqué armor:

They'd help against RPGs and such, but you're screwed against modern stuff. Also, I'm skeptical that Russia has a bunch of these sorts of kits laying around in part because they include upgraded engines to deal with the added weight.

Russian upgrade kits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

Lmao at the tanks on tanks.

Think they used a crane or did some drivers get to play destruction derby risk concussions?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
They're very, you know, soup-centric

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

Think they used a crane or did some drivers get to play destruction derby risk concussions?

You know deep down they absolutely drove them up on top.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Arrath posted:

Similar to the Abrams vs Bradley friendly fire incidents in GW1, a modern (and that can probably be stretched back a ways) kinetic penetrator should have no problem blasting right through a T-55, sure. As you mention, spalling and other effects will make a through-and-through very unpleasant anyway.

Now a HEAT round will still go off, though, and create an unholy mess.

I found an estimated 490mm RHA penetration online for the Rhinemetall 120mm D11 HE round, so you can just direct fire loving 120mm HE at a T-55 and probably blow the front armor into the crew compartment at which point the turret will autotoss.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:soupfamily:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there even a protocol for tracking it ie "oh yeah the apache just shot these vehicles so be careful" or is it just "oh poo poo right yeah we used it here earlier. You already touched the scrap metal? Oh welp"

For us it was, "There is dead armor up ahead. We need to clear it." A dead tank is a ready made fighting position, so that meant someone's happy rear end has to check it. There was no coordination, unless you called for the support, or it was organic to your maneuvers.

I'm sure a professional military would give grids to battle damage teams with proper PPE and equipment.

I have no doubt I will get some form of rare and lovely cancer. When I returned, my unit got flagged because on a list of 50 environmental factors such as burning oilfields, DU, various chemicals, and the like and we could legit check off every one of them, and then had to write in poo poo. The VA has me on burn pits and toxic shrapnel registries. I'm about 157% sure I consumed DU dust from my hands. I've explored bunkers and caches with ancient chemical and nerve agents that I would think were leaking. poo poo, I got called to the site of an IED blast that was a suspected chemical attack with no MOPP gear besides a mask (I recall it being laundry powder; other guys in the unit were told it was Mustard Gas agent. Pretty sure it was soap powder). And that's before we get into poo poo like routinely misusing chemicals, being elbow deep in solvents, or eating/inhaling aerosoled motor oil from the guns.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Russian upgrade kits

It's for masking its heat signature.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

I'm gonna come in with the hot take (lol) that anyone dealing with the smouldering wreckage of anything other than a bonfire should be wearing PPE. DU or not, the stuff burning in there is releasing a laughtastic amount of carcinogenic material.

Ukraine Thread: DU or DU not

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Z-Man has big ol' balls.

I look at this and wonder, which USA comedian would be able to sack up quite like this.

Can you imagine Jon Steward doing P90X in a bunker on his off time, then ordering a in-person briefing on a front line?

Wild.

The American comedian I can hear delivering the line, “I need ammunition, not a ride” and really meaning it is Robin Williams, for some reason. That man had a righteous anger in him.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

They should join the RCN! Wait, no. It's full of silly people.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Russia recruits Steven Seagal to teach martial arts to its soldiers

quote:

Steven Seagal, one of the icons of American action movies in the 1990s and early 2000s, has just opened an aikido centre in Moscow with the intention of preparing young Russians to join the Russian armed forces.

Seagal, who became a Russian citizen in 2016, is a seventh-dan black belt in aikido, as well as being the chief instructor within the Russian Federation of this martial art since 2018.

"The young people I saw today have a very big potential. We need to open more such centres to develop that potential. It is important that the development of aikido progresses at a faster pace," Seagal told Russia's TASS news agency.

Seagal has never hidden his support for Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom he has called "one of the greatest world leaders, if not the greatest leader alive today". Putin recently awarded him the Order of Friendship.

The actor, who has previously spoken out in favour of Russia's annexation of Crimea, visited the Russian city of Olenivka and its prison camp for Ukrainian detainees last year.

In 2021, Seagal presented Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro with a samurai sword on behalf of the Russian Foreign Ministry.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I no poo poo want to fight Steven Seagal. No training camp, just let's go. We are close in size (he's fatter), so it could be fun. I'll donate my purse to charity. I just want to hurt him.

I'm known to get rambunctious ideas painted with overconfidence, but I am 100% certain I would beat his painted hairline back to its natural seven head location.

Besides, if I start to lose, I'll cheat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

o7

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bulletsponge13 posted:

I no poo poo want to fight Steven Seagal. No training camp, just let's go. We are close in size (he's fatter), so it could be fun. I'll donate my purse to charity. I just want to hurt him.

I'm known to get rambunctious ideas painted with overconfidence, but I am 100% certain I would beat his painted hairline back to its natural seven head location.

Careful, in shoot fights if he starts to lose he shits himself as a deterrent to further aggression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wear a cup

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Fearless posted:

Careful, in shoot fights if he starts to lose he shits himself as a deterrent to further aggression.

Not if you poo poo yourself first!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

psydude posted:

I'm gonna come in with the hot take (lol) that anyone dealing with the smouldering wreckage of anything other than a bonfire should be wearing PPE. DU or not, the stuff burning in there is releasing a laughtastic amount of carcinogenic material.

Ding ding ding!

I deal with wreckage a fair bit professionally and anything that caught fire at any point, you should wear a respirator at the very least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Like hell I'll shave for a fit test.

At this point I'm banking on vat grown replacement lungs being available by the time I develop silicosis.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Z-Man has big ol' balls.

I look at this and wonder, which USA comedian would be able to sack up quite like this.

Can you imagine Jon Steward doing P90X in a bunker on his off time, then ordering a in-person briefing on a front line?

Wild.

I can see Al Franken stepping up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

crusty posted:

I can see Al Franken stepping up.

Al Franken got cancelled for air squeezing boobs

meanwhile Seagal is probably literally buying sex slaves

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

Fine, I'll poo poo my pants so things are still even.

He's a loving bully who loves to run his mouth. He's exactly the type of person I don't feel bad hurting.

According to various sources, if he thinks you can fight, or that you will fight back, he backs down real quick. I still want to see him an Van Damme fight, or pay money to watch Michael Jai White beat him so hard his ancestors have broken noses.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fearless posted:

This was amazing

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

They're very, you know, soup-centric

New thread title

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The only reason Seagal has any relevance at all is because Putin is either amused by him or still likes him. Give him time, Seagal has the nasty habit of pissing people off left and right, and has an ego three or four times the size of his huge head. I doubt he'll get defenestrated but as soon as his patron has to seriously start to defend his position, Seagal will probably be amongst the first things to go.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Jarmak posted:

New thread title

Souphoi Blyat

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The only reason Seagal has any relevance at all is because Putin is either amused by him or still likes him. Give him time, Seagal has the nasty habit of pissing people off left and right, and has an ego three or four times the size of his huge head. I doubt he'll get defenestrated but as soon as his patron has to seriously start to defend his position, Seagal will probably be amongst the first things to go.

Username/Post combo

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well at least that french potatonose and other Putin posterboy Gerard Depardieu had the sense to flunk off from Russia before overcommitting to the tax and law evasion made possible with the Russian passport, unlike what Seagal did.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2023

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What's funny about the Russian T-55s is that the Ukrainians apparently got some of these from Slovenia, which look way more capable than whatever 'upgrade' package the Russians end up slapping on theirs:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/12/10/super-upgraded-m-55s-tanks-have-arrived-in-ukraine/?sh=38f417563134

ERA, engine replacement, Israeli-built L7 105mm main gun and upgraded digital sights/ballistic computer.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

You know deep down they absolutely drove them up on top.

i want to know the record for tallest non-craned tank stack now

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i want to know the record for tallest non-craned tank stack now

With all the ones they blew up, when the war's over they could package 10 to a box and sell it as a children's game.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
does it count for height if the stack starts at the bottom of a swamp?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

quote:

In 2021, Seagal presented Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro with a samurai sword on behalf of the Russian Foreign Ministry.

That's such a weird choice for a gift.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

bulletsponge13 posted:

OK, I was trained how to hunt and kill tanks, but very little about their biology.
I am sure they will try and upgrade, but how capable are these to even take modern upgrades like sensors suites, targeting/range finding, etc?

Not very. The most modernized versions have some version of ERA or FCS or laser rangefinding. The problem, as with a lot of USSR/Soviet upgrade programs, they would only upgrade a few thousand at a time, then later come up with other upgrade packages, so you now have multiple different versions of these tanks on the record. There was a version of the 55 that was tested in the 80s or 90s that even elongated the hull*, upgraded the armor, and put the Soviet smoothbore gun on it among other upgrades but it never went anywhere. I've seen wildly different numbers for what the numbers are.

The base T-54 was an impressive tank for the late '40s when it comes to armor and armament, but it's got the problem of crew amenities, no turret basket, crew safety issues, and overtaxed mechanics. This thing has no place on a modern battlefield against something like a T-64 or T-72, and is appalling when Ukraine is being armed with Abrams, Leopard 2, Challenger 2, etc.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I remember reading some ex tanker on Reddit arguing the one advantage that a WW2 Era Tank would have over a modern one is that modern HEAT rounds would overpen the tank and fly out the other side. I don't actually think that's true, but with how unbelievably cramped the T-34-85 is, I imagine that even if that scenario were actually true, just the spalling from the impact would kill everyone inside before we even considering the reality of a hypersonic needle of a HEAT round zipping through a turret.

Yeah. There's way more that can kill a tank even just beyond the obvious. The amount of pure force and pressure that a modern kinetic or explosive round puts onto a target will shred an old tank apart along every seam, down to the electronics. Overpenning still means penning, and never mind the explosive force, that penetrator is going to go straight through anyone or anything in its path. Even a non-penetrating shot against certain targets can hit hard enough to make something in the internals go "nah gently caress it" and break. Some HESH rounds are historically known to defeat T-54/55/62 tanks.

bulletsponge13 posted:

The biggest issue is individual exposure, not environmental. The DU turns to a fine kinda dust that coats the carcass and requires PPE. It's not a lot, but it is a known risk.

Unless you are the US Army, at which point you tell the Infantry they have to clear every piece of armor, but neglect to mention the possible toxic exposure and need for PPE.

Right again, yeah. Modern armor will shear down a kinetic penetrator into countless tiny pieces, and psydude and Festivus were both right that there's plenty of other stuff in a tank that's not great to be exposed to, especially if it's breathed in or absorbed. I had to raise holy hell at one of my last jobs where we made ceramics because the laborers were refusing to wear gloves while handling the raw or binded powders. Even when they would wear gloves, they'd do dumb poo poo like pull the gloves off by tugging on each individual finger with their mouths. You can guess how the COVID mandates went, there.

*the USSR/Russia was always elongating hulls starting with the T-80, almost like the T-64 being so built around its autoloader was a dead-end. I agree that the 64 had revolutionary features, but I really don't buy the long-term hype with that tank.

Rabe Radbury
Dec 12, 2019

EasilyConfused posted:

Indeed. The connotation is 'You have failed. Do the needful.'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
seen a sub 1 minute turn around from 'what are you a loving pussy' to the guy saying that standing unmasked in a literal cloud of asbestos

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

No problem, just sign up on the website and everything will work out fine!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EasilyConfused posted:

Dude’s the dictionary pic for Mall Ninja

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

seen a sub 1 minute turn around from 'what are you a loving pussy' to the guy saying that standing unmasked in a literal cloud of asbestos

I used to work in a nuclear power plant when I was an undergraduate, and firsthand saw the hauling meatheads insulting my maintenance crew for being "limpdicked noodle arms" for not being able to carry a semi-filled 40 litre container of waste water to the waste processing plant. They were hugging, lifting and tossing it around to each other while laughing at us in the "cleaning crew".

..Except that container, as mentioned in the work order I filed earlier, was filled with highly radioactive water and other residue collected from the cooling system filtering pools, and we needed those guys since they were the only ones certified to operate the cargo crane and 2-stage lock between the reactor hall and the maintenance tunnels. Taking it through the service building would have been a radiation spread incident.

Hopefully those meatheads liked showering and sweating in the de-con sauna together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Rabe Radbury posted:

Indeed. The connotation is 'You have failed. Do the needful.'

Well, this would be true before the standardization of the seppuku procedure, or if it happened under field conditions/threat of capture. For ritual seppuku it was always a tanto that was used.