Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

V-Men posted:

No one Everyone wants to work ops cause Riker is always putting his foot up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Finally the Star Trek/Full Metal Alchemist cross over where Roy Mustang is chief of Starfleet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuvix/dog girl crossover

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Tuvix/dog girl crossover

Next episode of Picard will have a new vaguely familiar character show up. In a few more episodes after countless irritating vague flashbacks or mysterious visions we finally learn.... This character is actually the son of Tuvix. Before the Crew killed Tuvix, he had made a connection one night with an ensign we don't usually follow in the show. Turns out he's been carrying a grudge his whole life against Starfleet and is tied up in the stupid lovely changeling plot

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CainFortea posted:

Tuvix/dog girl crossover

Janeway isn't cool enough to be Scar

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Next episode of Picard will have a new vaguely familiar character show up. In a few more episodes after countless irritating vague flashbacks or mysterious visions we finally learn.... This character is actually the son of Tuvix. Before the Crew killed Tuvix, he had made a connection one night with an ensign we don't usually follow in the show. Turns out he's been carrying a grudge his whole life against Starfleet and is tied up in the stupid lovely changeling plot

You’re hired

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Janeway isn't cool enough to be Scar

Janeway is cooler than some anime dude. Even her cartoon version has a whole 3rd dimension.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drone posted:

Hate to be that guy but given how often Trek bounces between various streaming services (at least, it feels like it?), the Blu-Rays are a good invest.

Or idk :filez:

If you know the right places to look, you can find fan AI upsamples of DS9 and VOY too! They're not perfect but they honestly look pretty good, better than what Netflix was serving.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I watched some of the DS9 upscales and after that I decided SD was fine, they really were not flattering to some of the alien makeup or sets

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

No Dignity posted:

I watched some of the DS9 upscales and after that I decided SD was fine, they really were not flattering to some of the alien makeup or sets

I was watching a Voyager one the other day and its a freaky feeling, you start seeing past the TVitude and start seeing the reality of the sets and production.

I like it, it's a weird effect. For scenes with medium or wide shots where there's a bunch of people together in frame, it becomes even more like a stage play you're watching, instead of a TV show.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

soap opera effect?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s even wilder when you start noticing the cramped blocking of scenes meant for 4:3

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

piratepilates posted:

better than what Neelix was serving.

This is also true

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

soap opera effect?

Looks like it was shot on video tape rather than filmstock. Feels like you're watching a home movie at 60fps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since the only available source for those AI upscales is a 480i60, it really doesn't surprise me that they end up loving with the the framerate in an effort to clean them up. It already had hosed cadence since it was filmed in 24fps and being displayed with a 3:2 cadence on TVs.

Seriously, Paramount should be tasked EVERY SINGLE DAY as to why they aren't giving these shows the proper restoration they deserve given their otherwise laser focus on Trek. The tooling is so much better now than it was when even the TNG remasters were done. I'm sure the scanning is a bunch faster, there's probably a lot more automation around color and defect correction. It wouldn't surprise me if there are ML algorithms now that could find the correct takes from the raw scanned film when compared to the broadcast versions.

It would likely only cost around $25-$30mil to do all of DS9 and Voyager based on the TNG cost (with some wiggle room due to opposing forces of inflation vs. technological advance.) Picard costs $8-$9mil PER EPISODE. Seriously, the cost of remastering these two series to complete everything is negligible in the grand scheme of production costs nowadays and making it a Paramount+ timed exclusive gives them a much better way to recoup those costs than selling $100 blu-ray box sets ever did.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

piratepilates posted:

I was watching a Voyager one the other day and its a freaky feeling, you start seeing past the TVitude and start seeing the reality of the sets and production.

I like it, it's a weird effect. For scenes with medium or wide shots where there's a bunch of people together in frame, it becomes even more like a stage play you're watching, instead of a TV show.

I mean I maintain that the best Trek episodes are just written and approached as stage plays instead of a tv show. That unreality doesn't bother me but then I'm a sicko who only watches TOS with the original effects.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Eimi posted:

That unreality doesn't bother me but then I'm a sicko who only watches TOS with the original effects.
Same here. I recently watched 'Obsession' on Netflix just because it randomly had the original effects rather than the cheapo mid-2000s CGI.

drat, there's a longer gap between TOS-R and now than between the end of TOS and the debut of TMP.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Since the only available source for those AI upscales is a 480i60, it really doesn't surprise me that they end up loving with the the framerate in an effort to clean them up. It already had hosed cadence since it was filmed in 24fps and being displayed with a 3:2 cadence on TVs.

Seriously, Paramount should be tasked EVERY SINGLE DAY as to why they aren't giving these shows the proper restoration they deserve given their otherwise laser focus on Trek. The tooling is so much better now than it was when even the TNG remasters were done. I'm sure the scanning is a bunch faster, there's probably a lot more automation around color and defect correction. It wouldn't surprise me if there are ML algorithms now that could find the correct takes from the raw scanned film when compared to the broadcast versions.

It would likely only cost around $25-$30mil to do all of DS9 and Voyager based on the TNG cost (with some wiggle room due to opposing forces of inflation vs. technological advance.) Picard costs $8-$9mil PER EPISODE. Seriously, the cost of remastering these two series to complete everything is negligible in the grand scheme of production costs nowadays and making it a Paramount+ timed exclusive gives them a much better way to recoup those costs than selling $100 blu-ray box sets ever did.

Trek always looked fine as it is and I can't see how remastering them would bring them in any extra money. 9 mil per episode of the shittiest Trek they've ever made is still a bigger draw than "uhh hey we made the old shows you've been watching just fine for decades a little bigger for a little while"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Trek always looked fine as it is and I can't see how remastering them would bring them in any extra money. 9 mil per episode of the shittiest Trek they've ever made is still a bigger draw than "uhh hey we made the old shows you've been watching just fine for decades a little bigger for a little while"

No, it doesn't look fine. The framerate is wrong from what was actually filmed. The current video master is incompatible with modern displays since it is interlaced so it looks even worse than it did on a CRT back in the day.

It's also about archival. Film doesn't last forever. Paramount are the stewards of the IP and it's their responsibility that this is preserved to the best of their abilities. An HD scan of the film elements ensures that it's preserved in near original quality moving forward. TNG remastered was a triumph and a massive improvement over the DVDs and far more niche properties have gotten this treatment. Babylon 5 was remastered in HD for fucks sake and you can't tell me anyone recouped their money on that one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually I think you'll find that their only responsibility is make number go up. And based on the TNG remastering number doesn't go up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

For someone who grew up with them, I actually like the 480p, it's like a nice calming blanket. I watch on my tablet though, might be way worse on a huge TV.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

bull3964 posted:

No, it doesn't look fine. The framerate is wrong from what was actually filmed. The current video master is incompatible with modern displays since it is interlaced so it looks even worse than it did on a CRT back in the day.

It's also about archival. Film doesn't last forever. Paramount are the stewards of the IP and it's their responsibility that this is preserved to the best of their abilities. An HD scan of the film elements ensures that it's preserved in near original quality moving forward. TNG remastered was a triumph and a massive improvement over the DVDs and far more niche properties have gotten this treatment. Babylon 5 was remastered in HD for fucks sake and you can't tell me anyone recouped their money on that one.

I don't disagree with you about preserving the film, even if they aren't ready/willing to do a full release like they did with TNG. But Babylon 5 is "remastered" to the extent that they just used the filmed shots for high definition, so any time there is cg or compositing or any kind of SFX the shot will change to the original resolution in that shot, even within the same scene. I find it oddly charming, but I'm not sure it's what you want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

lukevictorious posted:

I don't disagree with you about preserving the film, even if they aren't ready/willing to do a full release like they did with TNG. But Babylon 5 is "remastered" to the extent that they just used the filmed shots for high definition, so any time there is cg or compositing or any kind of SFX the shot will change to the original resolution in that shot, even within the same scene. I find it oddly charming, but I'm not sure it's what you want.

It's still better than what we have now and preserves the film. If that's all we got, it would at least open the door for fans to fill in new SFX.

There's not a TON of live action compositing in these shows aside from the odd hand phaser blast or some background veiwscreen shots (Odo not withstanding).

Even if all they said is that they are scanning the archives for preservation, that would be SOMETHING.

They would only have to convince 250,000 people to subscribe for one year (or half that for two) to make this a financially viable project.

P+ has added nearly 10 million subscribers in the last quarter alone. This effort is a drop in the bucket and they could drip feed the episodes out over multiple years and make big events about their releases to draw in new fans that want the old stuff to be more accessible. It's how you build up a brand.

Hell, they probably spent more on the TMP: Director's Cut release.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 22, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah but I am sure it is like 1% harder to launder money through old series remastering versus however the gently caress the budget of NuTrek is blown

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know how they do it now, but early on most of Discovery's budget was covered just by selling the rights to Netflix internationally. I know that has since changed.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know how they do it now, but early on most of Discovery's budget was covered just by selling the rights to Netflix internationally. I know that has since changed.

Yeah, by Short Stories S2 they got the great idea that since it is doing so well in the international Netflix, they should back out from that deal and release it only in their own streaming service, while region locking it to US+Canada only even from the other markets where the Paramount+ already existed, and do delayed launches (or not at all) depending on if they bothered to get the subtitles or dubbing done or not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

Yeah but I am sure it is like 1% harder to launder money through old series remastering versus however the gently caress the budget of NuTrek is blown

We will never really know how much of the reason why these shows get made is just so that connected people's friends can pad their resumes and get paid

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't hate to be that guy: DVDs and Blu-Rays are a much better investment than paying for streaming that will likely drop whatever you paid to see.

I'm still kind of bummed that DS9 and Voyager are still only available on DVD tbh.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Picard costs $8-$9mil PER EPISODE.

I don't disbelieve you, anywhere you heard about the cost though? Surely season 2 must have been a shitload cheaper, since most of it was just money saving present day stuff?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't disbelieve you, anywhere you heard about the cost though? Surely season 2 must have been a shitload cheaper, since most of it was just money saving present day stuff?

I mean that was the consensus agreement as to why Season 2 was so loving cheap on every level because it allowed them to allocate basically 90% of its budget into Season 3's budget so they could go balls out with the final season in terms of effects, sets, props, and actor salaries.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean that was the consensus agreement as to why Season 2 was so loving cheap on every level because it allowed them to allocate basically 90% of its budget into Season 3's budget so they could go balls out with the final season in terms of effects, sets, props, and actor salaries.
Probably, but I know some of this was Covid

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably, but I know some of this was Covid

While Covid is a valid excuse to an extent, it doesn't excuse the season's abysmal quality in terms of writing. A bunch of TV shows managed to make some really good seasons of television during the raging height of Covid.

I'm still of the opinion that Season 3 was the only season Terry Matalas actually wanted to make but was told no, he'd have to wait another year until Covid died down, and was also told by Kurtzman and/or the Paramount brass to make literally anything for the 2022 season because they didn't want to put the show into a second year of hiatus after skipping 2021. So Season 2 is the "I don't want to make this, I have to make it because I'll get fired otherwise" season. Which is why it's basically 10 hours of wheel spinning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I’m definitely not going to excuse the writing choices

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just don't think we're ever going to get a remastering of DS9 or Voyager. I mean overall I find it fine to watch but I've seen the AI upscaling and its so much better.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/421814355818971147/1088141519116058674/WRYwIAW.mp4

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

No Dignity posted:

I was checking out some X-Files season 6-7 poo poo in the last few days and some of the makeup looked awesome in HD and some of it was shockingly bad. Anything composited with CG was also clearly just SD. I'm guessing that's still the hold up with DS9, which is what to do with the CG stuff. You're going to have to put in more effort than TNG to sort that stuff out, especially in the later seasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think we can stop pretending that doing the last seasons CGI competently is going to cost a fortune. It's 2023, we have people churning stuff that's 90% of the way there as a hobby on the weekend.

The remasters aren't being held up by anything technical or high budget. They are held up by a studio doing the bare minimum in investing in the franchise.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

bull3964 posted:

I think we can stop pretending that doing the last seasons CGI competently is going to cost a fortune. It's 2023, we have people churning stuff that's 90% of the way there as a hobby on the weekend.

The remasters aren't being held up by anything technical or high budget. They are held up by a studio doing the bare minimum in investing in the franchise.

star trek

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

bull3964 posted:

You're absolutely right, my youtube feed is lousy with Star Trek work from hobbyist CGI artists.

But my suspicion is that there is a lot of industry inside baseball or downright cronyism that prevents showrunners from finding qualified talent to do the work. If they can kick work to a friend or a friend-of-a-friend, so much the better right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 doesn't have nearly as much CGI as people remember it having. It was a huge amount at the time, but these days someone could probably knock it out in a weekend. I don't think there's a single episode that has more than, like, 3 minutes total of CGI. They did a lot with a little.

Plus, the harder stuff is when they need to composite film and effects shots together -- so the fully CGI sequences in the last seasons were never going to be the main obstacle anyway. If anything they'd be easier to handle than the earlier ship battles that did optical tricks with models.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 23, 2023