Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the advice re: Shadow of War DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This thread hyping up SoW has got me re-downloading it now, I only put 17 hours in back when it came out, but man there's so many games I want to play and so little time :(

and The Last Spell still has its clutches in me, I've logged another -- jesus -- 40 hours since reinstalling earlier this month. Super fun exploring all kinds of different weapon combos; I hated Battle Staff but I'm finally starting to make it work well with a 2H Axe. I bet a 2H Hammer would go good with it, too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have also been replaying Shadow of War from the start due to all the chatter itt and it's been alright, looks/runs great on the ol 4k tv, but the combat doesn't feel quite as tight as I remembered. I guess it does get better once you unlock all the abilities but it's kind of a chore knocking orcs down one by one and trying to finish them on the ground before the next orc's hit lands, even with the upgrade that makes it quicker. I've found the hold X glaive thing attack works very well against groups but the feedback feels kinda lovely, not sure how to describe it. The open world glut really is a thing here too because I can spend hours trying to take down a nemesis web and then it tells me to zoom out and there's like 4 other ones on other maps that I haven't even seen yet. It felt more impactful in the first game when it was just two maps, one group of nemeses to work through on each map.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

explosivo posted:

it's kind of a chore knocking orcs down one by one and trying to finish them on the ground before the next orc's hit lands, even with the upgrade that makes it quicker.
A few things that may make combat flow better:

There is a skill that will let you automatically knock down uruks on a parry. There's another skill that will auto-kill (non-boss) uruks on a critical parry. The first can help reduce the number of enemies coming after you at one time, and the other quickly and easily gets rid of them for daring to step up.

If you haven't bought it already, there should be an "Execute" skill that will let you instantly kill an orc if your combo meter fills. There's also a subskill that will let you chain executions at the cost of some focus (the slow down aiming juice).

Additionally, and my preference, is another skill for "Combat Branding" that will let you use the full combo meter to brand an orc instead, refilling some of your health, and gaining an ally to distract some of the other uruks. This one also has a "chain" subskill so you can snag 2 or 3 at a time, if you have enough focus.

Lastly, there's another skill that will turn your combo meter back to how it was in the Batman games in that you can Execute at 8x (can be 5x with another skill upgrade), but lose it all if you take a hit or are out of combat for a bit. Without that skill, you build a meter up that will eventually let you do the executions and combat brands, but the meter will persist between fights. Whether to go with either option is pure preference, but I like the Batman style in that I feel I get the ability to execute more often this way, and I can predict when I will get it more easily.

To supplement the combo thingy, there is another skill (or is it a subskill?) that will let you earn 2x combo meter if you critical hit, letting you get your combat skills much sooner.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

unruly posted:

I'm sure the game will be good, and it'll be a good showcase of FPS with Source2.

I'm just done with CS in general. I got my fill in during the early 'aughts and again when Source and Go came out. I really don't need any more of that. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters, though.

I treat CS like a comfy pair of slippers. Ya know, if your slippers were Russian and shouted that you're a dickhead every 5 minutes.

The only two online multiplayer games I have enough interest in playing are Unreal Tournament 99 and Counter-Strike. But where UT99 has the obvious issue of being one of 16 other weirdo's who can't move on with their lives, it's comforting to know that the core Counter-Strike experience is always just there and remains extremely active - regardless of what version you're playing.

It's definitely one of my chill out/mindless podcast games, which I appreciate is the antithesis to how chronically stressful and irritating the whole experience should be.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ooh, thank you, I forgot that there's an auto-kill upgrade for the perfect parry. That'll definitely help. Also the one that gives more charges to the execute. Basically it sounds like it does all feel a bit limp until you get some of the better upgrades.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Kins posted:

Counter-Strike 2 enters limited test today, with a full release this summer as a free update/replacement for CS:GO, adding a new game engine with better smokes, sub-tick netcode, and upgraded/rebuilt maps. Oh, and mapping tools that aren't based on loving Worldcraft for Windows 95. That's a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqhhFl5zgA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZtISgOxEQ

My main question is why did they bother re-making all the maps when within a week the only populated servers will be 24/7 dust2 and aztec! Or weird gun-game surf stuff.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

deep dish peat moss posted:

My main question is why did they bother re-making all the maps when within a week the only populated servers will be 24/7 dust2 and aztec!

Because nothing gets you dunked on more than releasing a "sequel" that has a lower number in a column to compare than the original. You can't hear the hypothetical "this only has 4 maps instead of X"?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The variety in all the skills upgrades you could equip in Shadow of War is really really good compared to other similar games. There's a lot you can do to adjust your build to your particular playstyle.

Instakill on parry just got praised by one person meanwhile I use the "more meter on parry" instead because killing mooks too fast is detrimental to my playstyle of milking weak orcs for super attack juice to more easily kill the strong orcs.
Lots of variety here.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i did not like the sub-skill system in Shadow of War. It felt limiting compared to the original game where you can just get every skill

i still beat it and got the true ending cause its a fun game thats mostly better than the original, but the skill system always bothered me

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I got Gotham Knights in a recent Humble Bundle for earthquake relief, saw that Digital Foundry said that PC performance had improved substantially, and am still quite aghast that it even reviewed as well as it did at like a 69% opencritic average with those performance shortfalls.

I'm convinced the writers on this game were playing an elaborate practical joke to see how bad they could make dialogue and still get it into a game. "Freeze controls the weather now! Freeze controls the weather now? Freeze control the weather now."

Anyway, I'm replaying Wolfenstein the New Colossus now and nothing will ever feel as good as dual-wielding two fully auto shotguns and just losing complete control of aim while being utterly certain that everything down this entire hallway has been demolished.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who's the best Shadows orc? I like the one who rhymes all the time. And the one who's creepily in love with you. It's just so unexpected.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i did not like the sub-skill system in Shadow of War. It felt limiting compared to the original game where you can just get every skill

i still beat it and got the true ending cause its a fun game thats mostly better than the original, but the skill system always bothered me

Most sub-skills are mutually exclusive though, like the ones that change the damage type of an ability or change its function completely so you wouldn't be able to activate all of them anyway.

You can also just pause and switch whenever, even in combat.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

HopperUK posted:

Who's the best Shadows orc? I like the one who rhymes all the time. And the one who's creepily in love with you. It's just so unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vptzBEhZNyA

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

The special one, based on the developer that passed away during the development of the game, that can randomly save you and the disappear.

https://youtu.be/loS6S1pMlLw

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Anyway, I'm replaying Wolfenstein the New Colossus now and nothing will ever feel as good as dual-wielding two fully auto shotguns and just losing complete control of aim while being utterly certain that everything down this entire hallway has been demolished.

Schockhammer + Laserkraftwerk imho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm glad y'all waved me off of Gravewalker instead of Brutal; this's a lot more fun than Nemesis. faster overall when things go right, but let's say many more orcs have earned promotions so far

HopperUK posted:

one of mine said i had a "pretty, pretty corpse" after ambushing me and you bet i immediately came back and murdered that fucker, jfc. if he comes back from being decapitated i'm gonna be pretty annoyed

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

The special one, based on the developer that passed away during the development of the game, that can randomly save you and the disappear.

https://youtu.be/loS6S1pMlLw

Awww this is adorable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sininu posted:

I really want to learn more about the new netcode because it's something completely new to games and I don't understand it.

MMF Freeway posted:

yeah I need someone to explain how this works to me like a baby

I believe the change is that your input is sent to the server as it happens and is processed immediately (event driven) instead of only processing those changes every Xms. The updates from the server to clients are likely still per tick (or every Xms) but they know exactly when you fired, jumped, turned, etc.. to more accurately calculate hits and misses and rely less on prediction.

But that's just how I interpret what they've said in the video.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HopperUK posted:

Awww this is adorable.
he showed up for me last night and i was so sure i was just gonna disappoint him and get hit again immediately by the rest of the ravening horde; i still don't know how the hell that didn't happen

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

he showed up for me last night and i was so sure i was just gonna disappoint him and get hit again immediately by the rest of the ravening horde; i still don't know how the hell that didn't happen

He believed in you, that's why!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

secretly best girl posted:

Because nothing gets you dunked on more than releasing a "sequel" that has a lower number in a column to compare than the original. You can't hear the hypothetical "this only has 4 maps instead of X"?

deep dish peat moss posted:

My main question is why did they bother re-making all the maps when within a week the only populated servers will be 24/7 dust2 and aztec! Or weird gun-game surf stuff.

They didn't remake all the maps, they remade some, slightly updated others and let all the rest benefit from the engine upgrade (dust2 is in the third category).

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

goferchan posted:

Ok, got to admit I was pretty shocked and impressed when an Orc killed me in Shadows of War and snapped my sword in half and got the title "the Breaker" and then when I respawned my epic quality sword was gone lol. Pretty sick

I had one of those. I read where if you go hunt them down, you get your sword back, reforged and better, so I tried to do that. He was a clumsy olog, so easy enough to jump on his back and get stabbing, but it turned out he also had the trait where you have to pass a QTE to finish him off. I am astonishingly bad at QTEs, to the point where I'll generally not play a game that has them; I must have failed that check 6 or 8 times before I gave up and just recruited him. Which did not get me the fancy sword.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Even if you don't play Counter Strike, the fancy new smoke grenades Valve just showed off are technically cool as hell:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Albinator posted:

I had one of those. I read where if you go hunt them down, you get your sword back, reforged and better, so I tried to do that. He was a clumsy olog, so easy enough to jump on his back and get stabbing, but it turned out he also had the trait where you have to pass a QTE to finish him off. I am astonishingly bad at QTEs, to the point where I'll generally not play a game that has them; I must have failed that check 6 or 8 times before I gave up and just recruited him. Which did not get me the fancy sword.

sounds like the sword is in better hands now

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

How much could one role-playing game be, 1.1MB?

thread title

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sab669 posted:

Even if you don't play Counter Strike, the fancy new smoke grenades Valve just showed off are technically cool as hell:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_y9MpNcAitQ

beyond just being cool, the gameplay ramifications of this change are absolutely massive. being able to chuck a grenade and see through a smoke is going to shake up everything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mescal posted:

thread title

Wanna? I can see if it'll fit. I'm in favour of changing thread titles often.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HopperUK posted:

Wanna? I can see if it'll fit. I'm in favour of changing thread titles often.

Yes.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just before the sale ends, where does NMH3 fall on the scale of Suda51 games? I'm fine if the gameplay is a little off as long as it's a fun ride, Killer7 style, but I got kind of bored during Travis Strikes Back.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It fit!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That's a good thread title

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they can go as high as 3, but only if you include all the audio off the CD

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The smallest game on Steam that anyone's found is Penny Black, whose install size is under 200kb.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

sounds like the sword is in better hands now

fair

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

beyond just being cool, the gameplay ramifications of this change are absolutely massive. being able to chuck a grenade and see through a smoke is going to shake up everything.

While acknowledging that is very cool that is still some funky looking smoke.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Reached the 2 hour time limit and ended up refunding Gedonia: I think I can see why people like it, but in terms of janky exploration games, I'd much rather play something a bit more polished like Outward or Elex or Valheim or a bunch of other games instead of this (or, since I was mainly looking for combat, games like Blade of Darkness). To be fair, coming off of Elden Ring recently might've made Gedonia seem that much more janky, so I probably set it up for failure.

It's interesting though because part of me is still stuck and still does want to play Gedonia despite my brain knowing it's a bad idea and that there are better options: something about jank games can be so much more mysterious and enticing than popular good games. It's almost like you get two games in one with a jank game: there's the actual game itself, but then there's some overlying archeology game where you struggle to grasp the unexplained mechanics and bizarre appeal of the game, and you don't have any wiki guides to fall back on as a safety net. In a way, jank games are like playing TUNIC, in a way, which is what I've coincidentally moved on towards playing...for now. Maybe I'll revisit Gedonia or rebuy it sometime: I almost feel bad refunding because it is just 7 bux.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Propaganda Hour posted:

That's a good thread title

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You know there's a problem when people are saying Elex (of all things!) had less jank and more polish. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can someone who doesn't own Shadow of War tell me what the definitive edition costs? I bought the base game without thinking and now I see that the definitive edition costs only a dollar more but I'm not sure if thats because I already bought the base game or if I screwed up and need to do a refund.