Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is there a 10x levered inverse arctic sea ice extent ETF I can invest in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Speaking of things going up

https://twitter.com/ssdance/status/1638231943962566659?t=OhE2lVXJXaVjUXuQqvwsvg&s=19

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
surprising and alarming?!?

somebody do something!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Oh and just for fun

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1638631828482322432?t=EmKAdmlGkeYL5rvMpxfKUg&s=19

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

could really use some of that generational technological innovation from the next generation right about now...

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Things seem really bad, so bad that I'm sure somebody is doing something about it. That's comforting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

biceps crimes posted:

could really use some of that generational technological innovation from the next generation right about now...

We invented blockchain, what the hell else do you want from us?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

Sorry. They are too busy trying to survive paycheck to paycheck.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

seems like I would have heard about this before if it were true

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Landspout!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

This is the good stuff. Catastrophic weather events well outside the normal range.

it's_happening.gif

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

New tornado alley sucked me up?

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I was eating tacos at my fav truck and loving tornado came and ripped them out of my hands and my plate went flying and the loving guy in the truck wouldn’t give me more said it was act of god god dammit they was $10 gone

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Microplastics posted:

And then there's some innovation that I just have to roll my eyes at. Like this re-invention of the sail:

Hmm, that looks a lot like someone stuck sails on a Roll On-Roll Off vehicle transport vessel. RoRos have a lot of stability problems though, no one would be that stupid...

.. what's going on with the fantail? Is that a Ro-Ro door?

... oh look, according to the website they've secured 9m Euro to start building the Orcelle Horizon the same loving RoRo hull with a different paintjob. This will end well, I'm sure.

Behold the flagship of our climate change mitigation efforts. Tremble before our innovation!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Soggy Muffin posted:

I was eating tacos at my fav truck and loving tornado came and ripped them out of my hands and my plate went flying and the loving guy in the truck wouldn’t give me more said it was act of god god dammit they was $10 gone

My condolences

but also lmao

starkebn posted:

This is the good stuff. Catastrophic weather events well outside the normal range.

it's_happening.gif

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

goochtit posted:

My condolences

but also lmao

I was about to say!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hexigrammus posted:

Hmm, that looks a lot like someone stuck sails on a Roll On-Roll Off vehicle transport vessel. RoRos have a lot of stability problems though, no one would be that stupid...

.. what's going on with the fantail? Is that a Ro-Ro door?

... oh look, according to the website they've secured 9m Euro to start building the Orcelle Horizon the same loving RoRo hull with a different paintjob. This will end well, I'm sure.

Behold the flagship of our climate change mitigation efforts. Tremble before our innovation!

"We were like, Ro-Ro."

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Lets roll the dice with summoning our new AI overlords, they cant gently caress things up much worse.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You should just start living this way now.

Oh. I do. Backpacking with my partner in the summer when she can take time off work while we can enjoy that. I write romance full time from home. She's really into gardening, and I'm getting into it. Our friend group is handy and takes care of each other. We've already talked about coffee stockpiling, and how to seal for long term storage.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

*pounding table*

B O E

B O E

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
ARKSTORMS to the left of me, blue ocean events to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with tou

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

anecdotally, most of my millennial friends/acquaintances who have had kids, it's like a solid 1/3rd rate that the kids are notably neurodivergent. granted that's a small sample pool overall though so it's a worthless anecdote

In the schools I've been hearing the number of kids who are neurodivergent and/or on an IEP is way up compared 10-20 years ago. The Class of 2023 was born in ~2005. No official data to back this up, but I would be very interested to see per-capita rates over time.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

lol we are so so so hosed lmao

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Pussy Quipped posted:

lol we are so so so hosed lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLspvxgTdQ

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm sure everything will work itself out by the end of this century.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

skooma512 posted:

In the schools I've been hearing the number of kids who are neurodivergent and/or on an IEP is way up compared 10-20 years ago. The Class of 2023 was born in ~2005. No official data to back this up, but I would be very interested to see per-capita rates over time.

i've heard the argument that more and more people are being diagnosed with brain things because we've become better at diagnosing brain things

i think this is a sort of half-truth where we're getting less false positives due to better diagnostic criteria and testing but there's also a lot more people with spicy brain

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

blatman posted:

i've heard the argument that more and more people are being diagnosed with brain things because we've become better at diagnosing brain things

i think this is a sort of half-truth where we're getting less false positives due to better diagnostic criteria and testing but there's also a lot more people with spicy brain
that's right. that argument is largely just cope

granted, it makes it impossible to make apples-to-apples comparison of prevalence because criteria and sociological phenomenon and psychiatric acknowledgements do change overtime, but even best accounting for evaluation is showing huge rise of bad brains (or the fancy scientific terms is internalizing behavior and social impairment characteristics). even teachers who've been doing this poo poo since the 80/90s have noticed it too, and they're the ones that live day in and day out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

there's probably a decade or more lag-time on this poo poo too

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it’s the microplastics and pollution most likely

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol you weren't wrong

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thanks

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

blatman posted:

It's a boring luddite take, but I don't see how the invention of the cybernetic attention economy isn't driving the prevalence of attention deficit disorders. It's been shown that the more you multi-task the worse you get at it and I have to assume that iPad kids are getting their brains blown out by the youtube and twitch algorithms. That's gotta show up as inhibited executive functioning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the algo is serving me italian climate protest stories for some reason so a quick march 2023 rundown: the mayor of florence italy shoved a climate vandal spraypainting a landmark and the pope is suing a climate guy for superglue damage to the laocoon statue.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/NiranjanAjit/status/1638475932498288640

All the details on what each country lobbied over on the text of the latest IPCC report lmao

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Laterite posted:

"We were like, Ro-Ro."

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Ants

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Mar 23, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Brainwreck posted:

https://twitter.com/NiranjanAjit/status/1638475932498288640

All the details on what each country lobbied over on the text of the latest IPCC report lmao

The petty squabbling over this feels like rearranging deck chairs. I'm not surprised poor countries' delegations left early.

It's funny that the US delegation tried to get rid of the word 'equitable'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

skooma512 posted:

As a former teacher, this is obviously the case. In my area, it used to be that there was maybe one or two kids in a given year that needed specific assistance/intervention/aides, now it's more like one per class. People like to say that it's because we're better at diagnosing things, but it's very obviously more than that if you compare it to your own time in schools. It's also not just mild cases, either, which is what you'd think you'd end up with if we were better at diagnosing it -- it's like we'd be better at picking up the less-visible cases If I think back to my schooling, there were like two kids who needed interventions and maybe three or so other kids who were, in retrospect, high-functioning autistic who'd probably end up diagnosed these days. But then, when teaching, I was dealing with neurodivergent students that were way more severe than anything I'd experienced before. It was really startling.

Just a Moron posted:

It's a boring luddite take, but I don't see how the invention of the cybernetic attention economy isn't driving the prevalence of attention deficit disorders. It's been shown that the more you multi-task the worse you get at it and I have to assume that iPad kids are getting their brains blown out by the youtube and twitch algorithms. That's gotta show up as inhibited executive functioning.

I read something years ago that seemed to make it pretty clear that screen time from a young age was having a drastic effect on the ability of kids to recognize facial expressions and other interpersonal skills. It was very bad news. Some of the schools I taught had done these programs where every kid got an iPad or whatever, and they were trying to walk them back in favor of returning to textbooks and such when I left the profession.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I read something years ago that seemed to make it pretty clear that screen time from a young age was having a drastic effect on the ability of kids to recognize facial expressions and other interpersonal skills. It was very bad news. Some of the schools I taught had done these programs where every kid got an iPad or whatever, and they were trying to walk them back in favor of returning to textbooks and such when I left the profession.

Yup. Although to be fair, this isn't just a computer thing. We've known for many decades that home school kids, who learn in isolation, are identically hosed up in this respect too. Throwing people infront of an ipad from an early-age is a similar form of development-in-isolation. There's a lot more research coming out in this field too the past year and a ton on the horizon

one of my friends teaches public school in SF and has also made good points that pre-pandemic vs post-pandemic kids are immensely more hosed up. but that's a different (and unrelated) issue.

quote:

As a former teacher, this is obviously the case. In my area, it used to be that there was maybe one or two kids in a given year that needed specific assistance/intervention/aides, now it's more like one per class. People like to say that it's because we're better at diagnosing things, but it's very obviously more than that if you compare it to your own time in schools. It's also not just mild cases, either, which is what you'd think you'd end up with if we were better at diagnosing it -- it's like we'd be better at picking up the less-visible cases If I think back to my schooling, there were like two kids who needed interventions and maybe three or so other kids who were, in retrospect, high-functioning autistic who'd probably end up diagnosed these days. But then, when teaching, I was dealing with neurodivergent students that were way more severe than anything I'd experienced before. It was really startling.
And yeah this has been a big thing about the whole "it's just better testing!" because it's also clearly not for these reasons. What you'd see is more minor cases detected instead of severe cases, but severe cases are very notably higher and those aren't things that are easily swept and ignored.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:31 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mobile phones in general are one of the worst things we've ever invented. They hosed up the social conception of time permanently.