Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jeffrey do the right thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SourKraut posted:

While there’s some truth here, the US absolutely built a fuckton of ships during the active war years. The US entered WWII with eight carriers and left WWII with 99 carriers of every type, plus a number of fast battleships (some of which were laid down in 1939-1940), and hundreds of frigates, destroyers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, etc. And a lot of submarines. The US Navy added something like 1,100-1,200 combat vessels between 1941-1945.

Yes, by directly controlling industry and centrally organizing war production in an unprecedented expansion of the state.

Do you see why that's impossible now?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

someone put a free dating sim on Steam where you could hit on a tax preparer and it claimed would actually file your 2022 federal taxes for you

Steam took it down today

capitalists actually hate the free market

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/22/23651802/mschf-tax-heaven-3000-dating-simulator

incredible

god bless human innovation, god drat capitalism

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Did you see the amount of loans they were issuing to businesses and people the last 6 months before implosion?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i played the game as married filing jointly, but with an understanding

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
are the reddit nerds still doing this?

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638632223321763845?s=20

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you see the amount of loans they were issuing to businesses and people the last 6 months before implosion?

it was mostly shareholders lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
yeah I’d tell an anime girl I’ll taking the standard deduction

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, by directly controlling industry and centrally organizing war production in an unprecedented expansion of the state.

Do you see why that's impossible now?

Oh yeah, I 100% agree it’s unlikely/improbable now.

It was mostly a matter of pointing out that the US wasn’t spending all of the 1930s developing what became its wartime navy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm actually curious how the US went back to privatized poo poo after the war, after effectively nationlizing huge sections of the economy

did they just be like "thnks for the ships, you can go back to building merchant stuff" or whatever?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Jaxyon posted:

I'm actually curious how the US went back to privatized poo poo after the war, after effectively nationlizing huge sections of the economy

did they just be like "thnks for the ships, you can go back to building merchant stuff" or whatever?

The US didn’t nationalize industries, they simply did central planning of resource allocation and material/equipment production. The private sector went along with it because they were provided sweet, sweet contracts and payouts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jaxyon posted:

they were also told to fire all the women they hired

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

capitalists fought with Truman for years over his price controls + wartime limitations on profits (if you made over a certain amount of profit in a year it was taxed at an absurd rate like 90%, owners could not wait to get rid of that)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SourKraut posted:

Oh yeah, I 100% agree it’s unlikely/improbable now.

It was mostly a matter of pointing out that the US wasn’t spending all of the 1930s developing what became its wartime navy.

They were. It was kind of a big deal.

Warships after Washington: The Development of Five Major Fleers 1922-1930

The Washington Treaty of 1922, designed to head off a potentially dangerous arms race between the major naval powers, agreed to legally binding limits on the numbers and sizes of the principal warship types. In doing so, it introduced a new constraint into naval architecture and sponsored many ingenious attempts to maximise the power of ships built within those restrictions. It effectively banned the construction of new battleships for a decade, but threw greater emphasis on large cruisers.rn This much is broadly understood by anyone with an interest in warships, but both the wider context of the treaty and the detail ramifications of its provisions are little understood. The approach of this book is novel in combining coverage of the political and strategic background of the treaty – and the subsequent London Treaty of 1930 – with analysis of exactly how the navies of Britain, the USA, Japan, France and Italy responded, in terms of the types of warships they built and the precise characteristics of those designs. This was not just a matter of capital ships and cruisers, but also influenced the development of super-destroyers and large submarines.rn Now for the first time warship enthusiasts and historians can understand fully the rationale behind much of inter-war naval procurement. The Washington Treaty was a watershed, and this book provides an important insight into its full significance.

Warships After London: The End of the Treaty Era in the Five Major Fleets, 1930–1936

The Washington Treaty of February 1922 put a cap on the construction of capital ships and aircraft carriers while failing to impose similar restraints on ‘auxiliary’ vessels or submarines. This led to a competition in ‘treaty cruisers’ – ships of the maximum 10,000-ton displacement allowed, armed with multiple 8in guns – and in submarines, many of which were designed for long range and high speed on the surface. During the 1920s the French and the Japanese took particular advantage of the absence of quantitative or qualitative limits for these vessels to compensate for their inferiority in capital ships. Thus, as the ten-year review of Washington approached, Britain and the United States attempted to extend the ratios agreed in 1922 to the newly-defined categories of cruisers, destroyers and submarines. The negotiations which resulted in the Treaty of London of April 1930 were fraught, and the agreement proved controversial, particularly in Japan.

Warships After London examines warship developments in the five major navies during the period 1930–1936. Long-term plans were disrupted, and new construction had to be reviewed in the light of the new treaty regulations. The imposition of new quantitative limits for cruisers, destroyers and submarines led to new, often smaller designs, and a need to balance unit size against overall numbers within each of the categories.

As ships produced under these restrictions were the newest available when war broke out in 1939, this book is a major contribution to understanding the nature of the navies involved. Its value is enhanced by well-chosen photographs and by the author’s specially-prepared line drawings showing the overall layout, armament, protection and propulsion of the ships laid down during the period.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Al! posted:

i dont think i had a single unit on the korean war in all of my years in public school, no

And you hardly see any media about it outside of Korea itself. IIRC the last major movie production about the Korean war was in the 70s, funded by a religious cult from Korea. You go from WW2 where were the awesome winners, and Vietnam where they kind of have to cover it to get ahead of any inconvenient narratives, but Korea is a failed war that they can safely just tuck away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

And you hardly see any media about it outside of Korea itself. IIRC the last major movie production about the Korean war was in the 70s, funded by a religious cult from Korea. You go from WW2 where were the awesome winners, and Vietnam where they kind of have to cover it to get ahead of any inconvenient narratives, but Korea is a failed war that they can safely just tuck away.

This movie came out six months ago https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devotion_(2022_film)

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Big expensive battle ships, destroyed by cheap and antiquated torpedo bombers. Sad.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Double beat on earnings and revenue re-ignited a sentimental favorite.

Slightly less bullshit than this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

skooma512 posted:

Presumably part of it is because the hero general pulled off an all time amphibious attack then absolutely hosed up and got relieved of command before he could start nuclear Armageddon

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

Yes, they gave everything away to a few families who went on to found the conservative political movement and created neoconservatism over the next thirty years

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Double beat on earnings and revenue re-ignited a sentimental favorite.

Slightly less bullshit than this

Lmao they're still doing SPACs somehow

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SourKraut posted:

The private sector went along with it because they were provided sweet, sweet contracts and payouts.

They also bitched and pissed and moaned about it for the entire war despite that

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Al! posted:

god imagine how hosed up an info stream you must consume to think the us has a chance in a shooting war with china

it's easy to trick yourself into believing anything, if you either have no critical thinking skills or choose not to apply them because you want the propaganda to be true

nationalism is a disease

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Like supplying lower quality steel to the Navy.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/former-lab-director-sentenced-prison-falsifying-results-steel-testing-parts-navy-subs

One would consider this an act of treason, but one of would be wrong. I also highly doubt their fall-lady acted alone, but hopefully Bradken is hooking her up.

It's the USA. If you're the saboteur and get caught just say being accused of treason is triggering, demand an apology and launch a discrimination lawsuit.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Al! posted:

god imagine how hosed up an info stream you must consume to think the us has a chance in a shooting war with china

We lost the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and are in the process of flushing our empire down the drain in Ukraine, and these morons are picking a fight with China. lmfao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
gently caress this dumb court system and gently caress California.

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
another CSPAM success story

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

lol owned

landlords always win

(I'm really loving mad for you)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I would wait until it’s final judgement but sorry just in case

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

sorry goon

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Well that sucks and not entirely surprising the justice system is a pathetic joke

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's sucks man.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

didnt china make at least one saving private ryan-scale movie about it

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

as a seasoned poster, this is what I expected. maybe you can fool me next season

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

I think the thread was figuring on that happening after the judge gave her a second chance to 'submit evidence'. Here's hoping that's just the 'default' judgement and the judge will actually input the real one at the end of two weeks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had it down as 50/50 so not I’m not supersized

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m sick to my stomach knowing I owe that parasite money. What the gently caress is the point of established case law, quoted not by me but by lawyers in the complaint, if a judge is just going to ignore all of it?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

that sucks rear end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

judges are crazy and do whatever they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can you ask your lawyer what's up? didnt he say he was confident you'd win?