Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Archonex posted:

We do know how enkephalin is made though. Like, there is literally an entire game centered around harvesting it that partially went into some of the mechanics around how L corp got a hold of so much of it. Are you just trolling or do you keep edge lording yourself into ignoring the setting you're trying to nothing matters away folks actually looking at?

What? We're talking about people in the setting. Of course I know how its made, but literally everyone you met in Ruina had no idea how it made aside from the actual L Corp veterans. The production of it was a Singularity, and you aren't allowed to know how Singularities function. Your point was "why would people use this stuff?? its made from people??" and my point is that people in the setting aren't allowed to know that. And the very few people who do prefer it this way, because L Corp branches producing insane amounts of energy for fairly acceptable human losses was a trade they're willing to make, because they're the Head, and they're awful.

there's nothing edgelord about this, its just canon lol

like we do we in the real world, do horrible poo poo for power generation instead of using fully green energy? because its easier, and the people at the top who make the decisions don't care about the consequences

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone happen to know Korean well enough to play through the games in Korean? Towards the start of chapter 3, Heathcliff gets mad at Faust for saying he's uneducated, but he also uses words like 'audacity'; Not like, extremely high level and complex words, but not the sort of thing that someone who is supposed to be uneducated would use casually.

I'm wondering if the original script is kind of weird like that, or if the translation is just kind of clunky with stuff like that. I suspect the latter but I know absolutely nothing about Korean other than it apparently doesn't use gendered pronouns.

Archonex posted:

Something to note, but the city isn't seemingly that big. Or the writers have waffled on the size of it. The novels show that you can literally ride a normal bus between districts. Since the novel where a lot of travel happens (Distortion Detective) is told from the first person and they didn't get into any W Corp shenanigans it seems like the city isn't as big as people thought from LC and LoR since you can cross districts/wings fairly easily. The big problem is with syndicates trying to extort you, and if you try to go through a nest you have to deal with getting a pass which is nearly impossible.

[quote="Archonex" post="530613236

The city seems at times like it's suffered an institutional knowledge collapse at the very least. I don't think they know what an airplane is for instance.
[/quote]

They also have airplanes (see: Leviathan) and there's nowhere outside of the city to go, so presumably it's still pretty big. You can ride a normal bus between cities in real life, too.

studio mujahideen posted:

What? We're talking about people in the setting. Of course I know how its made, but literally everyone you met in Ruina had no idea how it made aside from the actual L Corp veterans. The production of it was a Singularity, and you aren't allowed to know how Singularities function. Your point was "why would people use this stuff?? its made from people??" and my point is that people in the setting aren't allowed to know that. And the very few people who do prefer it this way, because L Corp branches producing insane amounts of energy for fairly acceptable human losses was a trade they're willing to make, because they're the Head, and they're awful.

there's nothing edgelord about this, its just canon lol

like we do we in the real world, do horrible poo poo for power generation instead of using fully green energy? because its easier, and the people at the top who make the decisions don't care about the consequences

I don't think it's the kind of setting where people would be all that worked up if they knew it was made from people (sort of. Some of the abnormalities were made from people, others were directly dredged up by the extraction team, and yet others seem to have been outside phenomena that were captured and experimented on) anyways.

Ariamaki posted:

Enkephalin is implied to be hyper-efficient and far more energy-rich than any natural fuel source. Its effects as a drug are entirely secondary (and have they even been confirmed for people other than the Sephirot?): The information for the setting across all of the games implied the city has long since reached the point of being incapable of relying solely on fossil fuels, solar, thermal, and any other system of mundane power generation: This is backed up by the fact that it's the size of a mid-small country with a population close to that of our entire planet.

I think we can infer that they do in fact have other methods of generating power, since the entire city didn't immediately black out when Lobotomy Corp literally went under. Chances are they have some more conventional power sources for things like street lights, but powering a WARP train would require a truly staggering amount of energy.

geeze that was a lot of quotes, I'm so sorry lol.

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 21, 2023

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Archonex posted:

Doesn't make sense though why they wouldn't use it as a supplementary thing

Actually given the lack of Lobotomy Corporation's ongoing presence in the setting due to (LOL gestures broadly at the events of the past two games) and the dialogue of multiple characters about various companies' supplies of Enkephalin running low or running dry entirely, I wouldn't be surprised if it IS supplementary in a way. Specifically, I think it's probably used mostly to fuel Singularities and other extremely high-draw systems, while the average person either uses comically tiny amounts of Enk or just uses other energy sources day to day. It's not like you'd just STOP using persistent sources like thermal and solar, you'd just have to deal with the fact that they're insufficient for the rate of growth in both people and technology.

Got sniped:

Shastahanshah posted:

I think we can infer that they do in fact have other methods of generating power, since the entire city didn't immediately black out when Lobotomy Corp literally went under. Chances are they have some more conventional power sources for things like street lights, but powering a WARP train would require a truly staggering amount of energy.

Exactly this. Enkephalin is one energy source, and by far the biggest one for the biggest jobs, but it's now an increasingly-scarce resource.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also remember Mephistopheles is specifically a Hybrid Vehicle, it uses Enkaphalin to make an absurd amount of thrust on start, but the rest of the human body is fuel for cruising speeds. So it doesn't actually use much Enkaphalin except as a massive initial amount of power to get the bus moving. Or speed it up to what is presumably, ridiculous speeds so that it can travel all across the city faster than anything but WARP trains.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to look for the panel of Leviathan where there was an airplane and I can't find it. I really distinctly remember seeing it and thinking "oh, I guess they do have air travel!" am I losing my mind??

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Shastahanshah posted:

They also have airplanes (see: Leviathan) and there's nowhere outside of the city to go, so presumably it's still pretty big. You can ride a normal bus between cities in real life, too.
Correction: they do not. That was an alternate universe.

Leviathan 14 MTL posted:

I might have been too caught up in my thoughts to notice the terrified screams and people fleeing in chaos. I thought that the shadow cast over me was a cloud or something. It was a particularly large and dark shadow, but I didn’t find it strange.

When I looked up again, a plane came into my sight; it was flying far lower than usual.

It looked as if it was about to plunge into the ground.

“Ah…”

I couldn’t seem to recall the last time I saw that thing called an airplane fly above the City. More importantly, I can’t tell for sure if I knew what an “airplane” was in the first place.

Where am I, anyway?

What District of the City did I think I was in? A wave of nausea rises in me as the strangeness of myself existing in this foreign place as if I always belonged here becomes apparent.

But all that confusion is useless now.

Try as I might, there’s no way I can outrun that massive bird of steel. I can tell from this feeling. It’s a race I’m doomed to lose, much like my struggle against poverty.

In the end, I can’t escape the explosion that the plane will cause, crashing into the street.
Once Garnet started to shake off the identity he'd been forced into, he realized he had no idea what an airplane was.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They do, however, have long sea journeys. Since that's actually Ishmael's main timeline backstory (unsurprisingly).

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Ariamaki posted:

Actually given the lack of Lobotomy Corporation's ongoing presence in the setting due to (LOL gestures broadly at the events of the past two games) and the dialogue of multiple characters about various companies' supplies of Enkephalin running low or running dry entirely, I wouldn't be surprised if it IS supplementary in a way. Specifically, I think it's probably used mostly to fuel Singularities and other extremely high-draw systems, while the average person either uses comically tiny amounts of Enk or just uses other energy sources day to day. It's not like you'd just STOP using persistent sources like thermal and solar, you'd just have to deal with the fact that they're insufficient for the rate of growth in both people and technology.

Got sniped:

Exactly this. Enkephalin is one energy source, and by far the biggest one for the biggest jobs, but it's now an increasingly-scarce resource.

Roland mentioned using an Enkephalin lighter in Ruina, mind you, Lobotomy Corporation was noted to extremely generous with its energy especially compared to the Wing that preceded it. I assume that while LC was monopolizing the energy market there were a bunch of other competitors (Angela mentioned one of them in LC), but none of them were on level of a Wing.

There probably was a big energy price hike once LC fell and, IIRC, since there's still no Wing ready to take its place means that energy prices are still inflated.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SITB posted:

Roland mentioned using an Enkephalin lighter in Ruina, mind you, Lobotomy Corporation was noted to extremely generous with its energy especially compared to the Wing that preceded it. I assume that while LC was monopolizing the energy market there were a bunch of other competitors (Angela mentioned one of them in LC), but none of them were on level of a Wing.

There probably was a big energy price hike once LC fell and, IIRC, since there's still no Wing ready to take its place means that energy prices are still inflated.

Roland is also ex-grade 1/colour fixer, him having an Enkaphalin Lighter doesn't necessarily mean that was a common practice regardless. But yes, one of the big things Lobotomy Corp did when replacing the previous L Corp (also power production) was make it much easier to purchase energy from them for reasonable prices rather than be extremely draconic and expensive. Which is part of why the previous L Corp ended up being warred against by the other corps.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shastahanshah posted:

Does anyone happen to know Korean well enough to play through the games in Korean? Towards the start of chapter 3, Heathcliff gets mad at Faust for saying he's uneducated, but he also uses words like 'audacity'; Not like, extremely high level and complex words, but not the sort of thing that someone who is supposed to be uneducated would use casually.

I'm wondering if the original script is kind of weird like that, or if the translation is just kind of clunky with stuff like that. I suspect the latter but I know absolutely nothing about Korean other than it apparently doesn't use gendered pronouns.

From what I sort of remember in his original novel Heathcliff was around quite a few rich families, which obviously went poorly due to how he was treated. Things spiraled from there until he ended up being a toxic rage and revenge driven poo poo show of a human. He could have picked up language like that off of them. Maybe that's why?

Lord_Magmar posted:

They do, however, have long sea journeys. Since that's actually Ishmael's main timeline backstory (unsurprisingly).

Do we know if she actually went out to sea? I don't recall reading that she actually journeyed across the world, just that her boss was an incompetent loon that apparently made her hyper sensitive to her future boss being competent. Which is something she confessed to in chapter 2. Though I might be forgetting reading about an actual journey.

Her default ego relating to her past has her in some place that definitely looks submersed but also looks more like a building that someone has shot up with bullets (look closely at the holes on the left, in the corner, and above her.) than in than a boat. Notably, there's a window barred like it's a prison looking out to sea. What sort of maniac puts an open window at sea level on a boat?

Either way, her story seems the most likely to discuss the state of the outside world. Definitely seems like it'll be interesting.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Correction: they do not. That was an alternate universe.

Once Garnet started to shake off the identity he'd been forced into, he realized he had no idea what an airplane was.

Knew I didn't misremember that.

On a side note, the year is also really fucky. One of the trailers for Limbus that says the year of a massive slaughter of the population (about 3 million and rising when the scene suddenly cuts out) takes place in the city is June, 985. Seeing as how there's good odds the setting takes place on earth since coffee from Kenya apparently exists it seems like they've rolled over to an entirely new calendar system from BC/AD, barring some crazy alternate history shenanigans. If so there might not even be the resources left to build alternative energy sources to something monstrous like enkephalin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTRQgFYCXHY

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 21, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

all of the base egos are the sinners in that style of room with bars on the window with the striped outfit. the desperation of being in a jail (conceptual, writ broadly) which drove them to sign up with Limbus. ishmaels definitely talked about working on a boat

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
For sure one of the ocean-neighboring Districts is going to have 'everyone here's a sailor' cultural gimmick. Even though there's no other cities to go to, I presume there's some kind of harvesting operations going on, similar to how people journey out to the Outskirts and the Ruins looking for whatever one looks for in such places.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I still just want to know where the gently caress District Z is. :psyduck:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
District Z was ejected by the Head to the Zombie Apocalypse AU because they thought the trope was too tired for the City.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

District Z is currently stuck on Namek and will remain there for the foreseeable future.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

district 26/z corp are absolutely underground imo. god only knows what the fucks going on down there

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

Underground.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The City ran out of space, but those jan misali videos convinced the Head that it was too important to drop earlier letters from the alphabet, so out goes Z instead.

EDIT: Looking at the map, the unironic answer is it might have just been straight up eaten by P Corp and Y Corp. District 25 in particular is much bigger/weirder shaped than it otherwise should be, even compared to the other big frontier Districts.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 21, 2023

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

TeeQueue posted:

it's in the ocean.

Flesh Idol's Story posted:

"It is speculated to be a religious artifact, found in the flooded district. In the past, some people sought answers through religion. When an employee offers up a prayer, the flesh begins to move, as if receiving the oration."

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Archonex posted:

Do we know if she actually went out to sea? I don't recall reading that she actually journeyed across the world, just that her boss was an incompetent loon that apparently made her hyper sensitive to her future boss being competent. Which is something she confessed to in chapter 2. Though I might be forgetting reading about an actual journey.

It's mentioned in her introduction page, which could technically be poetic licence, but between that and the multiple references to sailing it's easier to assume we're talking about a literal boat.

An interesting thing to note about her, however, is that a lot of her character traits don't actually map onto the figure of Ishmael, but onto Captain Ahab. Her OCD, her fixation on finding something that has apparently wronged her, her harpoon, and (in her R Corp. ID) her dwindling sanity and her tendency to pose a danger to her own allies are all most closely associated with the Captain, while Ishmael himself was mostly just depressed and gay.
Another notable thing is that all of her IDs so far are suffering from serious PTSD. LCCB lost her old squad due to poor planning, Shi describes her life as an unbearable hell, and Reindeer is a painkiller addict who implies that she unintentionally killed her own team in the past.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Saigyouji posted:

It's mentioned in her introduction page, which could technically be poetic licence, but between that and the multiple references to sailing it's easier to assume we're talking about a literal boat.

An interesting thing to note about her, however, is that a lot of her character traits don't actually map onto the figure of Ishmael, but onto Captain Ahab. Her OCD, her fixation on finding something that has apparently wronged her, her harpoon, and (in her R Corp. ID) her dwindling sanity and her tendency to pose a danger to her own allies are all most closely associated with the Captain, while Ishmael himself was mostly just depressed and gay.
Another notable thing is that all of her IDs so far are suffering from serious PTSD. LCCB lost her old squad due to poor planning, Shi describes her life as an unbearable hell, and Reindeer is a painkiller addict who implies that she unintentionally killed her own team in the past.

It actually fits Ishmael, if you are a supporter of the theory that Ishmael is actually Ahab under a pseudonym.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It actually fits Ishmael, if you are a supporter of the theory that Ishmael is actually Ahab under a pseudonym.

Even if you don't, I feel like "wracked with PTSD after an embodiment of nature's power destroyed their ship and is now falling into the same patterns as Ahab" is a reasonably valid take on a post-voyage Ishmael, which is where our Ishmael would be. In any case, looking forward to when we get her proper story segment.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

This leaves Outis in an awkward place though, since Outis is visually very similar to Dias from Distortion Detective if she had short hair

Unless she's another brainwashed follower like Moses used to be, and that's why she's such a kiss rear end. It would fit with how Moses was prior to realizing how toxic their relationship was.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 21, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Theantero posted:

For sure one of the ocean-neighboring Districts is going to have 'everyone here's a sailor' cultural gimmick. Even though there's no other cities to go to, I presume there's some kind of harvesting operations going on, similar to how people journey out to the Outskirts and the Ruins looking for whatever one looks for in such places.

waiting warmly for the Sunless Seas crossover
I wanna get in on Red Honey smuggling operations

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

waiting warmly for the Sunless Seas crossover
I wanna get in on Red Honey smuggling operations

It can't possibly cross with Sunless Seas. It's not nearly depressing enough.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Remember to thank based thread dog for his generosity. He's giving away all this thread for free, after all.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd still like to know what the hell its passives are. Or how to get full Abno stories in general (even if being easy is nice. Like, just break the body and win?)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'd expected Alleyway Dog to have something scary, since he was the other never-in-the-story abnormality and fish got hands. Nope, still a walkover.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

PSA: Remember to do all the abno fights in both difficulties, because they count as different battles and thus reward the initial lunacy reward for clearing a stage independently. It's not that much, but the easier difficulties are still like two pulls' worth.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

I'd still like to know what the hell its passives are. Or how to get full Abno stories in general (even if being easy is nice. Like, just break the body and win?)

It builds lightning with attacks, if you attack the pole the attacker gets rupture and it loses lightning, if it has enough lighting it does something.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I think the dailies actually clears your observation levels to blank. To see the full story you need to encounter the abnormalities in mirror dungeon runs.

I'd be curious to see if doing dailies did count toward the observation levels on the backend, you just can't ever see it until you see the abnormality somewhere else.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I have no idea what the dog does because I have never seen it attack. The thing lasts three turns on the level 30 fight without ever managing even a single clash, I feel bad about what I'm doing here.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Theantero posted:

PSA: Remember to do all the abno fights in both difficulties, because they count as different battles and thus reward the initial lunacy reward for clearing a stage independently. It's not that much, but the easier difficulties are still like two pulls' worth.

Oh dang, I didn't know this. I'm not 100% sure how to optimize my dailies to get as many of the resources I want as I can. Is there a reason to do all three EXP difficulties or can I just do the hardest one three times?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

Oh dang, I didn't know this. I'm not 100% sure how to optimize my dailies to get as many of the resources I want as I can. Is there a reason to do all three EXP difficulties or can I just do the hardest one three times?
It's just a first clear bonus. You only have to do it once ever IIRC, not once a day.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Found the third passive of the Alleyway Watchdog, after the two you get for hitting the Telepole once. You get it for breaking the pole, and it's a detrimental passive that rewards you for breaking it by stunning it. You know, in case they ever make a version of this boss that's actually hard. :v:

As a reminder, the event starting after next reset doesn't actually start until six hours after reset, after the two-hour maintenance that starts four hours after reset, so stamina spent on the dailies before then won't count for the stamina spend rewards. That said, the first daily Mirror Dungeon run doesn't cost directly or indirectly cost stamina and so gives no rewards on the event track, so there's no reason not to do that.

(Though I imagine the event requirements won't be extreme enough for 80-120 wasted stamina to matter much, especially if you've been stockpiling either or both kinds of boxes.)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Solitair posted:

It's best to focus on the harder difficulties, yeah. The Lunacy reward you get for doing the easier ones is a one time only thing, so once you get them done once, there's no reason to go back.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Is it just me beating the cyborgs even more hard than I already was or did the story removal on abnormalities patch really screw the flow of the fight?

I beat up "You want to get beat? Hurtily?", until I get the cutscene for the factory, and then I beat up "You want to get beat? Hurtily?" one more time and it just dies, and then I have to kill the smaller add-ons five times each when I didn't used to need to do.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I thought you always had to also kill them to finish the fight. Maybe the last time you fought them, they exploded from their passive?

Also, taking the downtime to read Hell Screen, and yeah, a lot of stuff we see for Ryoshu makes sense.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 22, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Marluxia posted:

Is it just me beating the cyborgs even more hard than I already was or did the story removal on abnormalities patch really screw the flow of the fight?

I beat up "You want to get beat? Hurtily?", until I get the cutscene for the factory, and then I beat up "You want to get beat? Hurtily?" one more time and it just dies, and then I have to kill the smaller add-ons five times each when I didn't used to need to do.

I think it's a bug where if you kill YWTGBH between the first and second cutscene, the second one never happens so you have to kill the adds 4 times so their passive kills them (since that cutscene is what disables the revival gimmick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Jossar posted:

I thought you always had to also kill them to finish the fight. Maybe the last time you fought them, they exploded from their passive?

Also, taking the downtime to read Hell Screen, and yeah, a lot of stuff we see for Ryoshu makes sense.

Yeah, but I only had to kill them once last week, and this week I had to kill them five times each.

I think it's a bug where if you kill YWTGBH between the first and second cutscene, the second one never happens so you have to kill the adds 4 times so their passive kills them (since that cutscene is what disables the revival gimmick).

Okay, that does explain it. Guess I should hold back a bit next time.