Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

:doink:

https://twitter.com/KevinFreyTV/status/1638538564513275904?t=RejNsLTED2Mht5SfMU4VAQ&s=19

NY Grand Jury could vote today, awaiting Federal Appeals Court ruling on the attorney-client stuff, Georgia poo poo is similar since that special purpose grand jury is wrapped already.

Edit: nm, grand jury called off for today

Does anyone know why they were told not to come in today?

I don't understand these "pauses" that occur during trials. How much time do these guys waste in a day? Does it all boil down to a mountain of paperwork or something? Courts seem to work less hours than S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/soldiers-death-fort-hood-raises-questions-sexual-harassment-rcna75812

Another suspicious death at ft hood after reporting sexual harassment.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

I don't understand these "pauses" that occur during trials. How much time do these guys waste in a day? Does it all boil down to a mountain of paperwork or something? Courts seem to work less hours than S1.

No published reason because prosecutors are bound by law to Grand Jury secrecy. But Grand Juries are for pre-indictment, not trials, and they're apparently just 23 randos empaneled and are on-call for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Prosecutors can take their sweet time with all this poo poo and they had witness testimony from one of Donnie's crony lawyers on Monday.

The DA's team could be discussing if they want to call a witness tomorrow, if they want to wrap it up tomorrow and call an indictment vote (majority needed), if they want to just end the case, or if they really want to eat pizza all day while making vowel noises. Meanwhile, the Grand Jurors do whatever the heck this handbook says! https://nyjuror.gov/pdfs/hb_Grand.pdf

So probably all paperwork, tactics, witness prep, figuring out if certain witnesses are needed and sorting out immunity requests, etc. My best guess is the DA is trying to figure out if they want to wrap it up, call Cohen back on rebuttal, or call in some other witness.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ASAPI posted:

Courts usually have multiple files on the go at once, they also need to do all sort of paperwork and formalities without the juries in the room. The process is intended to be thorough, that make it slow.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That makes more sense.

It still feels like courts work less than S1.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
What's S1?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Think of them as the military’s admin and finance

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Best speculation I've seen on the NY Grand Jury is that prosecutors are debating the recall of Michael Cohen. He testified, then Donnie's (other) crony lawyer called him a lying liar who lies (which, yeah), and they might be trying to figure out credibility.

Also, since this hasn't been posted, here's basically why Michigan has a Democratic trifecta for the first time in 40ish years:

https://twitter.com/MIGOP/status/1638518055897538563

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/status/1638671289412907015

She lost the Secretary of State race by 14, then won election to the state GOP chair :toot:

(she also believes in demonic possessions that can be transferred via loving and that abortions are satanic child sacrifices)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Reagan also said that there is no reason a person should go around armed. Getting a bit of a mixed message here

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

Reagan also said that there is no reason a person should go around armed. Getting a bit of a mixed message here

I think that only applied to black people in California.

No that doesn’t make it any better.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crab Dad posted:

I think that only applied to black people in California.

No that doesn’t make it any better.

Old school racism giveth (Gun control in California) and old school racism taketh (Gun control in California).

Oh, old school racism… You scamp! I’m sure you are smiling but I can’t see through bed sheets like that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Always get a major twinge when people mention 'ol Ronnie while spouting 2A poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has this thread’s title always featured the singular “Event”?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

Has this thread’s title always featured the singular “Event”?

No. This is a special month.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
time has ceased to pass, there has only ever been one Event, we just slice it up into chunks for the convenience of posting

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

It's always and forever infrastructure week

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Also, since this hasn't been posted, here's basically why Michigan has a Democratic trifecta for the first time in 40ish years:

https://twitter.com/MIGOP/status/1638518055897538563

The unspoken thing here is today’s GOP are confident that their supporters are armed up enough to be the ones taking the rings.

Meanwhile, in other gun bullshit, you have this:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/03/20/uvalde-shooting-police-ar-15/

Now the newest explanation has shifted to police being so scared of the big bad gun wielded by an untrained teenager that they couldn’t storm the classroom in Uvalde, despite being armed with the same gun and equipped with plates that can stop 5.56 mm rounds, being trained in active shooter response and having a 376-1 advantage.

I work in a role that has me interacting with cops from a variety of agencies. I‘ve heard a variety of explanations from them as to why the cops didn’t attempt to breach the classroom, ranging from “they thought it was a barricade situation so they held back” to the extremely offensive “in the wake of the BLM riots (their words not mine), the chief thought that people would protest and riot if they killed the shooter.” As if anyone whose opinion mattered would have a problem if someone killing kids got domed.

These cops told me these things with a straight face, although I could tell that they were grasping onto anything- ANYTHING- to absolve their fellow badge holders of their cowardice and moral failings.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The unspoken thing here is today’s GOP are confident that their supporters are armed up enough to be the ones taking the rings.

Now the newest explanation has shifted to police being so scared of the big bad gun wielded by an untrained teenager that they couldn’t storm the classroom in Uvalde, despite being armed with the same gun and equipped with plates that can stop 5.56 mm rounds, being trained in active shooter response and having a 376-1 advantage.

I work in a role that has me interacting with cops from a variety of agencies. I‘ve heard a variety of explanations from them as to why the cops didn’t attempt to breach the classroom, ranging from “they thought it was a barricade situation so they held back” to the extremely offensive “in the wake of the BLM riots (their words not mine), the chief thought that people would protest and riot if they killed the shooter.” As if anyone whose opinion mattered would have a problem if someone killing kids got domed.

These cops told me these things with a straight face, although I could tell that they were grasping onto anything- ANYTHING- to absolve their fellow badge holders of their cowardice and moral failings.

That poo poo infuriated me.

It's amazing how flexible people's minds are to accommodate both a pro LEO and pro gun stance in response to this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
People who defend cops are worse than them because the culture could be reformed in short order if they weren't propped up by 100 million bloodsuckers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Having that statement over Jewish gold is cringe as gently caress because the Nazis actually loosened gun control compared to the Weimar republic, and yet they pretend private gun ownership was going to stop the Nazis who were already in power in the first place.

These fuckers would be salivating over Gestapo jackboots as Law Enforcement

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

"Theyre callin it the great awakening. Dealers convinced Peepaws to go on 4chan. Now they need to storm government buildings to get high."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Having that statement over Jewish gold is cringe as gently caress because the Nazis actually loosened gun control compared to the Weimar republic, and yet they pretend private gun ownership was going to stop the Nazis who were already in power in the first place.

These guys would've been the Gestapo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CommieGIR posted:

it's almost like they're just trying to compare gun control to the worst thing they know of

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Idaho is getting ready to sign a bill to adopt firing squads for death penalty executions in case the drugs for lethal injection are in short supply?

Seems perfectly normal

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/politics/idaho-firing-squad-bill/index.html

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The cruelty is the point. If it weren't, they'd just do nitrogen asphyxiation after knocking them out with general anesthesia.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I work with LEOs from time to time. In my experience, there are basically 2 sorts.

You've got the overly-motivated highschool bully veteran on patrol (75% of all cops, 95% of "cops violated rights and got sued" videos you see)

Then you've got the "Legacy" officers that might be Desert Storm vets or might not, but they're very done with this poo poo and they're the detectives that deal with the truly heinous stuff while they ride out another 3-5 years to get a department pension. If you ever want to see what burnout looks like, talk with a juvenile crimes detective for 10 minutes.

The problem, and the reason the term ACAB exists and is true, is that the old guard holds the thin blue line no matter what. They can't fix their own problems because LALALALALALA I DIDNT HEAR ANYTHING STOP RESISTING ARREST. The old guard doesn't understand that things have changed, and that the bullies and idiots are running the show now, to the detriment of the american populace. The old guard still thinks they're the good guys, and nothing will make them think otherwise. Not even video proof of police wrongdoing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Idaho is getting ready to sign a bill to adopt firing squads for death penalty executions in case the drugs for lethal injection are in short supply?

Seems perfectly normal

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/politics/idaho-firing-squad-bill/index.html

It's kind of a thing. No company wants to make the gold-standard lethal injection drugs because well, they'd be the company publicly making the gold standard legal injection drugs. Abolitionists have done a very good job at naming and shaming the companies that literally make death drugs. So of course, states looking at their policies have decided that indeed it's the kids that are wrong, and have to get creative.

And lately, their creativity with the legal injection drugs has basically led to very, very painful deaths. Alabama can't even do it right, as they've hosed up three in a row: https://www.npr.org/2022/11/19/1137951509/alabama-fails-lethal-injection-3rd-time-capital-punishment

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

These guys would've been the Gestapo.

Some yes, some would have lovingly crafted airsoft replicas.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Spoggerific posted:

The cruelty is the point. If it weren't, they'd just do nitrogen asphyxiation after knocking them out with general anesthesia.

Interestingly, no. GA+asphyxiation is a nonstarter for the same reasons facial impediment pointed out that the 'old' lethal injection method (which has an interesting and bittersweet backstory) isn't working anymore.
No company producing GA drugs wants their medical drugs to be associated with murdering people, even if it's state sanctioned.
On top of that, no licensed anesthesiologist is going to sign on for their medical job to be murdering people, even if it's state sanctioned.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

joat mon posted:

Interestingly, no. GA+asphyxiation is a nonstarter for the same reasons facial impediment pointed out that the 'old' lethal injection method (which has an interesting and bittersweet backstory) isn't working anymore.
No company producing GA drugs wants their medical drugs to be associated with murdering people, even if it's state sanctioned.
On top of that, no licensed anesthesiologist is going to sign on for their medical job to be murdering people, even if it's state sanctioned.

There was some BBC documentary about a conservative MPs quest to find the most humane execution method. The last part of the episode was him being shocked when he suggested nitrogen asphyxiation to other capital punishment supporters and they got mad that it was too painless.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I remember an NPR interview several years ago where a Nebraska libertarian state rep laid out beautifully how many executions the state had done in a decade vs the life in prison group.

Basically it was a pretty big financial savings just to not even suggest execution and cut the costs on all the mandated appeals etc. This was when the state was in dire need of budget cuts. So of course they kept the death penalty

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You don’t even need anesthesia for the nitrogen method. It’s not going to be super pretty but it’ll be painless.

Of course, the cruelty is the point.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I remember an NPR interview several years ago where a Nebraska libertarian state rep laid out beautifully how many executions the state had done in a decade vs the life in prison group.

Basically it was a pretty big financial savings just to not even suggest execution and cut the costs on all the mandated appeals etc. This was when the state was in dire need of budget cuts. So of course they kept the death penalty
‘The death penalty is heinously expensive vs. life in prison’ has always the argument I’ve found most effective, especially since most people don’t realize how expensive all those appeals are vs life imprisonment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

‘The death penalty is heinously expensive vs. life in prison’ has always the argument I’ve found most effective, especially since most people don’t realize how expensive all those appeals are vs life imprisonment.

The response is usually “then get rid of the appeals and execute them the day after the trial “

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

joat mon posted:

Oh I doubt that very much. There are places where "Official Executioner of Murderers" would be an advertisement

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stultus Maximus posted:

The response is usually “then get rid of the appeals and execute them the day after the trial “

I am very much against capital punishment. Our legal system should not allow it.

But in the very very rare cases where society needs to remove someone to be better off, summary execution tends to be the best for all involved - Gonna use the Beria execution scene here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xcg72Qv_QE - because gently caress that guy. Sometimes heinous stuff is done by people. Often its done at the command of others, and in those cases you can arrest and imprison the perpetrators. But sometimes you have to punish someone of power, who is above all law except death. But that's beyond the scope of civilized criminal justice anyway.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

I am very much against capital punishment. Our legal system should not allow it.

But in the very very rare cases where society needs to remove someone to be better off, summary execution tends to be the best for all involved - Gonna use the Beria execution scene here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xcg72Qv_QE - because gently caress that guy. Sometimes heinous stuff is done by people. Often its done at the command of others, and in those cases you can arrest and imprison the perpetrators. But sometimes you have to punish someone of power, who is above all law except death. But that's beyond the scope of civilized criminal justice anyway.

A functional society doesn't need to summarily execute anyone to be better off at any point. That kind of poo poo is only a "good" move when some beleagured totalitarian group/invidivual needs to further consolidate power. The idea that it's in society's best interest is just false window dressing to sell it to the public.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Grip it and rip it posted:

A functional society doesn't need to summarily execute anyone to be better off at any point.

what parts of the world would you consider to be functional societies

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

Oh I doubt that very much. There are places where "Official Executioner of Murderers" would be an advertisement

Thinking of Dale Gribble signing up to fumigate a prison for free so he could be on the list of employees willing to carry out an execution, then fleeing immediately when inmates were let out for yard time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Utah had firing squad as an option until into the 21st century, and have used it in my life time. There are dozens of ways to humanely kill a person. Most are ugly, and the rest aren't vicious enough for the bloodlust.

I think executions should be done like jury duty. I think we should make the society play a more personal, in depth role and it should be more visible.

I think the way we use the death penalty is useless, but I do think it has a place in a functioning criminal justice system- which we don't have.