Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

$650 per km, like for everyone that was part of the operation, divided up amongst them? How do they decide whos eligible ?

Sitreps, claim forms to payroll. You know the usual boring ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

its gone

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

the one flying without its transponders on? yeah probably innocent

Flying around in international airspace is just part of international flight law and standard practice. Given that the Russian pilot screwed up rather than shooting at the US drone, the US didn’t make a huge stink about it.

Also, the MQ-9 was squawking and being tracked by public companies and accounts. Usually, the US keeps those on for Reapers in international airspace because they aren’t stealthy anyway and it increases basic safety of flight and avoiding collisions or making other countries jumpy. This time, someone miscalculated anyway, but that was probably unintended Flanker pilot error rather than a deliberate state action.

Probably as the reaper flights resume, we see standard or even aggressive intercepts but not more collisions.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Seems to me that if you decide to run reconnaissance drones around the same flight path as ukraine attack drones then you ought to get those drones blown up and not be a pissy little gently caress about it

I think you have a poor grasp of the geography of the Black Sea region. I doubt Ukraine flies any drones 50+ of miles south of Crimea. That would make the Ukrainian drones easier to detect and take them pretty far off target.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

can anyone explain how the nyt does not see these issues to be related

what does “instead of” there mean ??

i'm more interested in why they think it's worth reporting that a country doesn't want to be 'contained'

what's the implication here? That they should be ok with it?

gently caress mainstream news is an op even if its not actually on purpose, it fucks with my brain

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Mar 22, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Frosted Flake posted:

Has anyone heard of this?

The Secret War Against Sweden: US and British Submarine Deception in the 1980s

Following the stranding of a Soviet Whiskey-class submarine in 1981 on the Swedish archipelago, a series of massive submarine intrusions took place within Swedish waters.

However, the evidence for these appears to have been manipulated or simply invented. Classified documents and interviews point to covert Western, rather than Soviet activity. This is backed up by former US Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, who stated that Western "testing" operations were carried out regularly in Swedish waters. Royal Navy submarine captains have also admitted to top-secret operations.

Ola Tunander's revelations make it clear that the United States and Britain ran a "secret war" in Swedish waters. The number of Swedes perceiving the Soviet Union as a direct threat increased from 5-10 per cent in 1980 to 45 per cent in 1983. This Anglo-American "secret war" was aimed at exerting political influence over Sweden. It was a risky enterprise, but perhaps the most successful covert operation of the entire Cold War.

e: Book is on libgen

I know about this because Milton Leitenberg wrote a book about how it was totally the Soviets you guys, believe me. Who is Leitenberg? He's the guy who pops up whenever American BW in Korea is in the news, he's got some phony secret Russian documents that "prove" it was all a Chinese/Korean lie. Total hack for whatever lines the empire needs in a given moment.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vomik posted:

yeah I know. it’s actually quite sad I probably shouldn’t mock it

this applies to virtually every aspect of this damned war, yet we must forge on

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just a reminder of the scale of things, in 2008 the US was offering $80k as a sign up bonus for military truck drivers

They were offering $20k just to sign up to the reserves / national guard in any MOS

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Mar 22, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1638671178788397057?s=20

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1638622680524922889?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

remember in the Superman movie where they try to follow him home with a drone. that was hosed up of them to do. if they'd do that to Superman they'd do it to Russia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh, a preview of the wars of 2035

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

oh, a preview of the wars of 2035

I imagine they don't want to let too much water build up behind the dam in case Ukraine to blow it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently dunking that reaper came with a 5 months pay, based on the medal awarded.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I keep saying this - the collapse of the USSR is one of the greatest humanitarian disasters of the modern world and we’re still living in its aftermath.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wonder if the moneys gone too?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The one bright side of the fall of USSR is that the Chinese communists learned from that failure.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Endman posted:

I keep saying this - the collapse of the USSR is one of the greatest humanitarian disasters of the modern world and we’re still living in its aftermath.

Humanitarian disaster makes it sound like it wasn't an intentional genocide by the US

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The soviets are responsible for some of their failures. They didn't have to gently caress up in all of the ways that they did.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

The soviets are responsible for some of their failures. They didn't have to gently caress up in all of the ways that they did.

Lmao

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Lostconfused posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SorePotato posted:

Humanitarian disaster makes it sound like it wasn't an intentional genocide by the US

It wasn’t an intentional genocide insofar as the US just didn’t care about the human cost of their pillaging one war or another.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

it's true

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

indigi posted:

it's true

marge.png

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Endman posted:

It wasn’t an intentional genocide insofar as the US just didn’t care about the human cost of their pillaging one war or another.

eh I think that counts as intentional. if you know an action is going to cause genocide-like consequences and undertake it anyway, even if the consequences are an unwanted byproduct, that's intentionality

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The US wasn't built on genocide bc they weren't trying to kill everyone they just wanted the land

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I guess the good news is that flights have resumed without either the US or Russia flipping poo poo over it.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1636686988903428096?s=20

Endman
May 18, 2010

Like, don’t get me wrong, if the results are the same it’s just as bad. I just think the term includes a level of intentionality, that you’re deliberately trying to exterminate an ethnic group.

It’s one of the reasons there’s so much debate over the Holodomor; if it’s going to be considered a genocide there needs to be established intent on behalf of the Soviet government to inflict that harm directly and for the reason of ethnic cleansing.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

1932: Stalin eats all the grain.

2023: Putin drinks all the water.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if capitalism gave up in 1917 none of this would have been a problem so I blame capitalism 100%

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Endman posted:

Like, don’t get me wrong, if the results are the same it’s just as bad. I just think the term includes a level of intentionality, that you’re deliberately trying to exterminate an ethnic group.

are you suggesting a category of involuntary genocide

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1638686997446262786?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why will it take 6 months to get the tanks there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Endman posted:

It’s one of the reasons there’s so much debate over the Holodomor; if it’s going to be considered a genocide there needs to be established intent on behalf of the Soviet government to inflict that harm directly and for the reason of ethnic cleansing.

intent is 100% an element as it is in almost all crimes

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

The one bright side of the fall of USSR is that the Chinese communists learned from that failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

euphronius posted:

intent is 100% an element as it is in almost all crimes

since the us was in the process of committing an international felony, intent does not matter

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Megamissen posted:

this is like the scene in elvis but in reverse

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

They're all completely hosed and need an army of technicians to overhaul them to a state where they can leave a vehicle bay under their own power.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hmmm i was p baked but i thought the gym photos that he was posting in the succ zone during his weird meltdown were of a white guy? probably misremembering.
probably an op. :rznv:

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

indigi posted:

America doesnt want people to see their wundertank get blown up, probably

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how about Seymour HESH round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kind of weird how you dont hear about the famines caused by collectivization in the stans

must be nothing i guess