Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
powerwalls are loving stupid. a: they're meant to skirt some building codes by being MoUnTeD oUtSiDe. b: they leverage a relatively expensive battery tech that has exactly two benefits - high capacity per pound and cubic meter. You dont loving care about that on a house! Lead-acid is the best value for storage per cubic meter and nickel-iron has low energy density but doesn't require any child-mined minerals and they can be abused and last for-loving-ever. there are nickel-iron battery banks in telco datacenters that are over fifty years old and still working at like 90% of their day 1 capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm running 22 panels installed like 9 years ago, no batteries because I don't care about going offgrid and all they're there for is net metering.

Eventually I might do some kind of lead acid storage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm running 22 panels installed like 9 years ago, no batteries because I don't care about going offgrid and all they're there for is net metering.

Eventually I might do some kind of lead acid storage.

i'd like a bit of storage because my area is prone to short blackouts during bad weather

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jonny 290 posted:

powerwalls are loving stupid. a: they're meant to skirt some building codes by being MoUnTeD oUtSiDe. b: they leverage a relatively expensive battery tech that has exactly two benefits - high capacity per pound and cubic meter. You dont loving care about that on a house! Lead-acid is the best value for storage per cubic meter and nickel-iron has low energy density but doesn't require any child-mined minerals and they can be abused and last for-loving-ever. there are nickel-iron battery banks in telco datacenters that are over fifty years old and still working at like 90% of their day 1 capacity.
not all of us have access to u-boat surplus sales

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'd like a bit of storage because my area is prone to short blackouts during bad weather

our lines are buried and power has been ultra reliable, I can count the number of times we've blacked out in 20 years on one hand

also if power does go down, we're next to a fire station so it tends to be among the first things worked on

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

4lokos basilisk posted:

that picture seems to hint that electricity will come to the solar panels from lightning strikes,

I mean if lightning hits it technically it is, just not in quite the way you might want

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I mean if lightning hits it technically it is, just not in quite the way you might want

muskman make the tesla coil

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Nessus posted:

not all of us have access to u-boat surplus sales

nor have space for telco central office-sized battery banks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well then pay 17,000 dollars for a musk powerwall then i dont really know what to tell you

there's a middle ground between "vape battery fire hanging off the back of my house" and "enough flooded battery storage to power connecticut for a week"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

we wanted some remote controlled lights on our shed but regular remote control lights are garbage and don't have enough range to reach the shed so i bought some panels + controller from someone on craigslist last fall, put them up on my shed with a battery and a light hooked up through a homekit relay.

total cost was less than $200 and i've got enough power coming in to charge some batts and run some garden irrigation. it's really nice.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
those iron nickel batteries are fuckin sick as hell but omg so expensive

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
i mean idk if they're cost competitive with elons wall-o-18650s but

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the powerwall in name only, for it is neither

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think it's shipping cost being a big part of it. Shopping a literal ton of batteries ain't cheap? But also having local sources would do a lot. Went searching and basically the only source seems to be China for some reason (mind you it was a quick 5 minute search).

But yeah the tech sounds perfect for home use, it just would be making sure you handle it right like all battery stuff. And sounds way way safer then lithium, and if it lasts longer then lead acid without the corrosion then it's a no brainer, especially if you have the land and space.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean. pretty much anything is gonna have china as a major supplier

just a cursory search shows you can get nickel-iron batteries from a us supplier at least (amazon has them, of course)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
power wall except the batteries are nickel cadmium

ADA_Hypothetical
Dec 9, 2021
On the solar thing, the powerwall is possibly the stupidest product produced by any of elons companies. At least the flamethrower actually worked as well as any of the alternatives. They combined all the separate functions into one unit so when one thing fails, it is all scrap. Supposedly this is to make it easier to install, but considering this is something that needs to be wired by an electrician anyway I don't buy that argument at all.

I'd specced out an off-grid solar system in 2009 for my dad, bringing power to the corner of his place would have cost 14k due to power company schenanigans. He ended up with ~24kW of panels and ~20kWH of flooded lead acid. The batteries needed replaced in 2017 due to a faulty charge controller, so right when the powerwall was launching. To get the same performance it would have been 3x the cost, and as already pointed out there is no reason to go for lightweight batteries in a system that is stationary. Solar is great, but I'd highly advise against battery backup unless you have a good reason, it's a huge additional expense and maintenance task. For occasional power outages, you are way better off keeping a generator around (with a properly installed transfer switch so you aren't killing utility workers). I'd also think that running a generator <5 hours per year is probably better environmentally than all the mining & energy that goes into producing batteries.

E: we'd looked at the nickel batteries, it's a super interesting chemistry for the application but it wasn't available from a reputable supplier at that point. Hopefully someone starts producing them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

why the hell is nickel so expensive? nickels are the shittiest coin, at least pennies are cool

tier list:

penny: long history, rakish female name, present in bat cave (giant)
dime: a round sum for round americans, possibly magical (scrooge)
quarter: insert to continue
dollar coin: you're in New York, thank god; RL gold piece substitute

but the nickel? a bastard coin

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Nessus posted:

why the hell is nickel so expensive? nickels are the shittiest coin, at least pennies are cool

tier list:

penny: long history, rakish female name, present in bat cave (giant)
dime: a round sum for round americans, possibly magical (scrooge)
quarter: insert to continue
dollar coin: you're in New York, thank god; RL gold piece substitute

but the nickel? a bastard coin

where’s the god drat half dollar

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Nessus posted:

I think Sudbury just got tired of being a poisoned hellscape with the very bedrock changing colour from the fumes.

Now it can just be a regular North Ontario hellscape.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

where’s the god drat half dollar

you can get them at the bank, they still mint them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

you can get them at the bank, they still mint them

i collected them as a kid by going to the bank and withdrawing/depositing rolls in search of every date

then when I got older i just spent them all lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i collected them as a kid by going to the bank and withdrawing/depositing rolls in search of every date

then when I got older i just spent them all lol

i did the same thing with some $2 bills lol

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ADA_Hypothetical posted:

On the solar thing, the powerwall is possibly the stupidest product produced by any of elons companies. At least the flamethrower actually worked as well as any of the alternatives. They combined all the separate functions into one unit so when one thing fails, it is all scrap. Supposedly this is to make it easier to install, but considering this is something that needs to be wired by an electrician anyway I don't buy that argument at all.

I'd specced out an off-grid solar system in 2009 for my dad, bringing power to the corner of his place would have cost 14k due to power company schenanigans. He ended up with ~24kW of panels and ~20kWH of flooded lead acid. The batteries needed replaced in 2017 due to a faulty charge controller, so right when the powerwall was launching. To get the same performance it would have been 3x the cost, and as already pointed out there is no reason to go for lightweight batteries in a system that is stationary. Solar is great, but I'd highly advise against battery backup unless you have a good reason, it's a huge additional expense and maintenance task. For occasional power outages, you are way better off keeping a generator around (with a properly installed transfer switch so you aren't killing utility workers). I'd also think that running a generator <5 hours per year is probably better environmentally than all the mining & energy that goes into producing batteries.

E: we'd looked at the nickel batteries, it's a super interesting chemistry for the application but it wasn't available from a reputable supplier at that point. Hopefully someone starts producing them.

in california, net energy metering is being absolutely gutted in 3 weeks and anyone who installs after that will often see a better return on investment (though much larger upfront costs) if they install a battery too. because of the increased demand, hopefully some costs will start coming down and there's other battery chemistries that will start being more prevalent

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

theyre doing the ad in the comments again and they're entirely mobile games and crypto scans with one exception:

from a couple pages ago but i found it amusing as the kangaroo hints that it's an Aussie site and yet in AU a Liberal is a supporter/member of the conservative Liberal party (Labor is our centre-left party). so if anything that's just a dating site for shitheads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol at electrochemical batteries what is this 1873? build a giant crane that raises a big chunk of concrete to store energy and then lowers it to release it, cowards

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

lol at electrochemical batteries what is this 1873? build a giant crane that raises a big chunk of concrete to store energy and then lowers it to release it, cowards

im a big fan of pumped water storage. upside: even if you dont need power, you got pressurized water. downside: you can inadvertently take a bath with your climate control power

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

is just putting a giant hot/cold water tank in the basement to store hot/cold a thing? i wonder what capacity you can get with that.

just run a heat pump off the solar during the day and recirculate at night or whatever.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I’ve looked into the battery well of a submarine. it’s uh… a whole lot of batteries

they don’t get much use beyond testing and drills, what with nuclear power and all

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eeyo posted:

is just putting a giant hot/cold water tank in the basement to store hot/cold a thing? i wonder what capacity you can get with that.

just run a heat pump off the solar during the day and recirculate at night or whatever.
yeah this is a common smart appliance thing, have a well insulated hot water tank, heat it when demand low, let it ride when demand high

storing cold is a different story though I have heard occasional mutterings

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Endless Mike posted:

it's too bad gravity batteries have such terrible energy density

gravitational potential energy = mgh. if you lift a 2000kg SUV 100m, you've stored 2000*9.8*100 =~ 2MJ. sadly, this is less energy storage than the 12V lead-acid battery in that SUV (probably 3-ish MJ)

only reason pumped water storage works at all is scale. you can impound an awful lot of water mass in a big reservoir, and fluids are a lot easier to work with than solid objects

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I’ve looked into the battery well of a submarine. it’s uh… a whole lot of batteries

they don’t get much use beyond testing and drills, what with nuclear power and all

diesel electric subs are still a thing, have even more a whole lot of batteries, and use them quite a bit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what if you make the mass lead-acid batteries?

e: or even better, gasoline?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines posted:

what if you make the mass lead-acid batteries?

e: or even better, gasoline?

gasoline + lead + lead batteries

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i think it’s neat how water towers on top of tall buildings get filled up at night when electricity is cheap

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Eeyo posted:

Yes

https://www.vantaanenergia.fi/en/carbon-negativity-2030/worlds-largest-cavern-thermal-energy-storage-to-be-built-in-vantaa/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

raminasi posted:

i think it’s neat how water towers on top of tall buildings get filled up at night when electricity is cheap

cloutchasers having to figure out which day is "no shower day" with their podcaster roomies because the landlord wants to get a few bucks extra by draining the rooftop tank and using it to run a generator

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

from a couple pages ago but i found it amusing as the kangaroo hints that it's an Aussie site and yet in AU a Liberal is a supporter/member of the conservative Liberal party (Labor is our centre-left party). so if anything that's just a dating site for shitheads

I think you can safely assume that any new dating app is targeted at shitheads. Most people will do fine on any legacy dating app, and all of the non-shithead niche groups (gay, jewish, arranged marriages, etc) are already handled by successful apps of their own. So the market is pretty saturated. All that's left is the shitheads (conservatives, rich douchebags, mensa members, people banned for sending dick pics) who can't get a date no matter what app they try, so they're always good marks for a new one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I think you can safely assume that any new dating app is targeted at shitheads. Most people will do fine on any legacy dating app, and all of the non-shithead niche groups (gay, jewish, arranged marriages, etc) are already handled by successful apps of their own. So the market is pretty saturated. All that's left is the shitheads (conservatives, rich douchebags, mensa members, people banned for sending dick pics) who can't get a date no matter what app they try, so they're always good marks for a new one.

wait there's an app for arranged marriages?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course. bharat matrimony, shaadi, etc

i think they are all companies that existed well before they had an app, since matchmaking in india is an enormous business, but hey gotta keep up with the times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i was about to say, i would be surprised if india didn't have like 12 diff hugely popular apps for all that