Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
what did your lawyer say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

what did your lawyer say

Haven’t talked to them yet.

Me: Hey judge, 5 days after I threatened to withhold rent in light of her refusing repairs, she raised rent. That’s LITERALLY QUOTED drat NEAR VERBATIM IN THE CASE LAW.

Judge: lol gently caress off.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

judges are crazy and do whatever they want

It's a good thing we made a bunch of unaccountable judges the country's supreme ruling body

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much did she claim you owed her ??

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol laws for thee not for meeeeeeee

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Judgment contested" is what Small Claims dockets to say to indicate that the parties both showed up and it was not, by contrast, an uncontested/default Judgment. It doesn't mean Defendant has or will appeal. If that happens, you'll get served with a Notice of Appeal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

how much did she claim you owed her ??

$10,000 in her counterclaim. She wanted $14,000 but max for small claims is $10,000.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I think it just means it wasn’t default judgement and judge is still finalizing the judgement

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

$10,000 in her counterclaim. She wanted $14,000 but max for small claims is $10,000.

judge probably sees this as a win for you

sadly. “split the baby”

I am not a California lawyer I don’t know anything, just posting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
only $300 seems like a pretty positive result tbh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

gently caress this dumb court system and gently caress California.

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

I would chill until you talk to your lawyer, you might be confusing what the website is saying. Every local court system in America is wildly distinct and idiotic in its own unique way and if you aren't a litigator who actually practices in that system a lot of what you see will be bizarre and contradictory.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

I think it just means it wasn’t default judgement and judge is still finalizing the judgement

03/20/2023 Court orders judgment entered on the Plaintiff's Claim filed by [me], et al. on 12/19/2022 as follows: Defendant [Parasite Landlady] does not owe the plaintiffs any money on plaintiff's claim.

03/20/2023 Court orders judgment entered for Defendant on defendant's claim [parasite landlay] against Plaintiff on defendant's claim [wife] and Plaintiff on defendant's claim [me] on the Defendant's Claim filed by [parasite landlay] on 03/09/2023 for the principal amount of $308.00 and costs of $75.00 for a total of $383.00, joint and several.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’m sick to my stomach knowing I owe that parasite money. What the gently caress is the point of established case law, quoted not by me but by lawyers in the complaint, if a judge is just going to ignore all of it?

it's almost like the law being hilariously biased in favor of wealth is an element within some larger class war :thunk:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

time for a little bit of goon justice

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

Goondolences :(

Hopefully this is just a quirk of the online system and a real judgement is coming. Beyond that, hopefully a real judgement is coming.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Before the week is out a judgement will be entered that forces you to personally shine your landlords shoes every week for the next 24 months, this court so orders.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’m sick to my stomach knowing I owe that parasite money. What the gently caress is the point of established case law, quoted not by me but by lawyers in the complaint, if a judge is just going to ignore all of it?

judge is a landlord I’m sure

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

euphronius posted:

I had it down as 50/50 so not I’m not supersized

As a goon, I think you are.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
got you good you fat bitch!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I knew we were in trouble when the whole thread was saying congrats after a report of the day in court but before the judgement came. Classic.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

FlapYoJacks posted:

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

i hope you learned your lesson. consider the $300 a fine for your impudence in the face of the natural order of things

(lol that sucks)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol laws for thee not for meeeeeeee

twas ever thus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

twas ever thus

I was naive. I thought mountains of evidence and case law of her blatant violations along with several hundred pictures of the move out condition would be enough. :smith:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

judge probably sees this as a win for you

sadly. “split the baby”

I am not a California lawyer I don’t know anything, just posting

This. The judge took one look at that bullshit itemized bill your landlord submitted and thought that $300 was splitting the difference.

Edit. For real, they thought you soiled the carpet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

This. The judge took one look at that bullshit itemized bill your landlord submitted and thought that $300 was splitting the difference.

With no receipts or time spent documented, as needed by 1950.5(g). Blatant violations and the judge is like “lol gently caress you peasant.”

Just straight up making up whatever poo poo she wants.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Mar 23, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I was naive. I thought mountains of evidence and case law of her blatant violations along with several hundred pictures of the move out condition would be enough. :smith:

Protect but does not bind, bind but does not protect.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

“lol gently caress you peasant.”

same as it ever was

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
punished for taking up the courts time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nothus posted:

Even if I did (for the record we left it very clean) 1950.5 says she had 21 days to submit that poo poo. She didn’t.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

yeah but you need to be put back in your place

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are you going to get a written opinion op

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

are you going to get a written opinion op

Within 2 weeks. I will share it with the thread because why the gently caress not at this point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FlapYoJacks posted:

With no receipts or time spent documented, as needed by 1950.5(g). Blatant violations and the judge is like “lol gently caress you peasant.”

Just straight up making up whatever poo poo she wants.

not a lawyer, but i think the courts website is hosed unless your lawyer submitted an appeal on your behalf without telling you. if she "won" she can't also appeal to get more money according to the small claims court system for CA's website

https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/judgment.shtml

quote:

Correcting an Error or Appealing a Small Claims Court Judgment
Only the person against whom a claim is made may appeal a small claims court judgment. The party who files a claim in small claims court (the plaintiff) can't appeal the judge's decision on that claim. For that party, the court's judgment is final. Similarly, if the defendant files a claim against the plaintiff, the defendant may not appeal the court's ruling on the defendant's claim. Only the plaintiff can appeal a decision on a claim filed by the defendant.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVBvvS57j0

We'll see how this develops, but so far, my goondoleances, truly. It's sickening if it goes the way the website says.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not a lawyer, but i think the courts website is hosed unless your lawyer submitted an appeal on your behalf without telling you. if she "won" she can't also appeal to get more money according to the small claims court system for CA's website

https://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/judgment.shtml

Now I’m even more confused. what the gently caress!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Within 2 weeks. I will share it with the thread because why the gently caress not at this point.

Just make sure you do not inadvertently doxx yourself, it would be trivial for some insane goon to ruin your life if they tracked down your court case.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I had it down as 50/50 so not I’m not supersized

I figured he wouldnt get any money but didn't expect him to owe $300! Presumably that's her court costs ?

Time to appeal!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Just make sure you do not inadvertently doxx yourself, it would be trivial for some insane goon to ruin your life if they tracked down your court case.

yeah maybe just the cliff notes.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

mastershakeman posted:

I figured he wouldnt get any money but didn't expect him to owe $300! Presumably that's her court costs ?

Time to appeal!!!

well yeah, as seen here on this paper torn out of a notebook and scribbled in pencil: 300$ in gas bills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
another successful goon project