Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you’d think a car with no plates would instantly get pulled over but the feral pigs have more pressing matters to attend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i get a ride in a 40 foot long car with a bunch of my neighbors everyday. cars rule

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

6 workers killed in baltimore when highway traveler entered work zone

No work should be done on highways imo, let them rot

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1638563809987031040

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yes, yes I am.

Or, if I'm being generous, maybe more effective regulation, like making sure drunk drivers can't drive or something?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

withak posted:

Roadway was departed by car, workers fatally struck, no way to tell if these events were related.

that's right, you say after the traveler entered the work zone, not when

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We've entered the terminal phase of carbrain, where cars aren't even mentioned when they hurt or kill people

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/one-person-injured-pedestrian-accident-downtown/2YRVQLRO55HFPPMGIWSTQPTT5Y/

quote:

One person injured in pedestrian accident downtown

PITTSBURGH — One person was injured in a pedestrian accident this morning in the city.

The incident occurred just before 7 a.m. downtown in the area of Sixth Avenue and Grant Street.

A 911 dispatcher said one person was transported to a local hospital. The extent of their injuries was not known.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Died of being a pedestrian :rip:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaGeezer007/status/1638075124560670722

this kind of take comes up a lot and it's really irritating because you generally still need all of your extremities, plus your neck, plus your mental faculties, to be able to drive

it's not like anyone with a broken [right] ankle or is too senile to ride a bike is going to be able to drive a car, either

Wrong bitch. You just drive with the other foot. had a neighbor do this after his foot got ripped up in a farm accident. He would just put his right leg into the passenger side

and senility just encourages you to drive more

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We've entered the terminal phase of carbrain, where cars aren't even mentioned when they hurt or kill people

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/one-person-injured-pedestrian-accident-downtown/2YRVQLRO55HFPPMGIWSTQPTT5Y/

What if it was two chads refusing to make way for each other and one got sent flying when their shoulders impacted

We've all been there, just gotta be smart about bracing and leaning into contact

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

sometimes pedestrians just spontaneously become injured

it's weird that even though cause and effect is a law throughout the universe this doesn't apply to humans walking, they just become injured randomly and instantaneously with no discernable cause. fortunately we have our top scientists looking into how this happens

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fermun posted:

cars rule

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

What if it was two chads refusing to make way for each other and one got sent flying when their shoulders impacted

We've all been there, just gotta be smart about bracing and leaning into contact

you know goddamn well that chads don't walk anywhere

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my biz partner has a 2016 Silverado pickup truck that’s in great shape, low miles, doesn’t use it for anything really because it’s the country but we live in town.

he spent all day yesterday at the Chevy dealer and was like "omg did you know how valuable this thing is?? I can get $26k in trade in towards a new one!"

that new one, is $57,000 American dollaridoos lmao. there is nothing wrong with his current truck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a new bike to replace my stolen one. It's a Giant Escape - it's so much lighter than my old one, feels like it flies at the slightest provocation. It's very nice, and the 2-by gearing means I have both easier climbs and faster high-gears either way

I did also buy a U-Lock and a disc lock (with alarm!) to secure it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought a new bike to replace my stolen one. It's a Giant Escape - it's so much lighter than my old one, feels like it flies at the slightest provocation. It's very nice, and the 2-by gearing means I have both easier climbs and faster high-gears either way

hell yeah i have the same bike, enjoy

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I got back into cycling with a Giant Escape, it's a good bike. I have a Giant Contend AR now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mawarannahr posted:

Died of being a pedestrian :rip:

We need to do something to address this fatal problem. Get these people into cars.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Wrong bitch. You just drive with the other foot. had a neighbor do this after his foot got ripped up in a farm accident. He would just put his right leg into the passenger side

and senility just encourages you to drive more

my 97 year old grandpa with double vision drove his 2002 lincoln up and down the incredibly steep, fully developed with multi family homes, hill he lived on until last year when his legs got too weak to climb out of the car at the supermarket so he just drove home and got my dad to sell it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

sometimes pedestrians just spontaneously become injured

it's weird that even though cause and effect is a law throughout the universe this doesn't apply to humans walking, they just become injured randomly and instantaneously with no discernable cause. fortunately we have our top scientists looking into how this happens

It's called falling and being old and actually happens sometimes because of stuff like uneven pavement, ice, leaves and general being frail.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a real fact about my family is that my dad died while going for a walk, tripped, hit his head, he was on blood thinners, brain bleed killed him instantly. rip to the big man.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Celexi posted:

you’d think a car with no plates would instantly get pulled over but the feral pigs have more pressing matters to attend

you'd think that but I've even called them to let them know there's a white van driving around with no plates and the follow up question was "well, is he breaking the law? like is he speeding or driving recklessly?"

fuckin bonkers lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lobster shirt posted:

a real fact about my family is that my dad died while going for a walk, tripped, hit his head, he was on blood thinners, brain bleed killed him instantly. rip to the big man.

condolences bro

SteepPollTax
Mar 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

It feels bad to spend $$ securing a bike, but I'd also highly suggest the Pinhead axle and seatpost lock system https://pinheadlocks.com/shop/en/lo...ront/198-misc-_

people will steal seats that are torn and lovely, and wheels no matter how how cheap or worn they are. this thing has saved so many bike parts for me. coming back to a bike station and all the seatposts and wheels are stolen on the rack except mine ftw.

Apr 7, 2003

just get a folding bike you can take inside, bing bong so simple

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you'd think that but I've even called them to let them know there's a white van driving around with no plates and the follow up question was "well, is he breaking the law? like is he speeding or driving recklessly?"

fuckin bonkers lol

Say a black guy is driving it or that it was near a school maybe?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

unironically this. if you can bring them indoors at both ends of the journey they own so much; Annoy your local HR representative today!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw a pilot disembarking with a folding bike just today. Eat poo poo cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eXXon posted:

it would be pretty cool to fly with a folding bike and just bike from the airport. I'm not sure how practical it would actually be though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I presume he was going to take a train inbetween (eat poo poo cars). That's a thing you can do in cool places.

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

he's probably posted in this very thread

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

lobster shirt posted:

Condolences.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Mar 24, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Real hurthling! posted:

my 97 year old grandpa with double vision drove his 2002 lincoln up and down the incredibly steep, fully developed with multi family homes, hill he lived on until last year when his legs got too weak to climb out of the car at the supermarket so he just drove home and got my dad to sell it.

Huh, usually old people don't like Foreigner

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i used to know someone who told me that her dad lost an eye while walking because an icicle fell off a building and landed, uh, in his eye. sounds painful. no cars involved.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

eXXon posted:

if it was southwest there’s a good chance that was a friend of mine

I travel with a folding bike too and corrupted him

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How many airports can you reasonably cycle away from without dying?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

withak posted:

How many airports can you reasonably cycle away from without dying?

I ride the shuttle to the hotel and ride from there.

Short of like, european airports, I can’t think of any that wouldn’t be a death wish to ride to

frankfurt airport would be super easy to ride to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I was extremely tempted to drop the cash on a Brompton when I was in SG lmao

Maybe some other year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

i used to know someone who told me that her dad lost an eye while walking because an icicle fell off a building and landed, uh, in his eye. sounds painful. no cars involved.

It’s a locked room murder mystery come to life