Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Whatever happened to Ethereum after that whole switch over?

It kinda looks like nothing much at all, like the actual technology driving this garbage is just a fig leaf for the scamming.

Which makes me wonder, are there any crypto that just pretended the whole block chain thing but just ran their database on a micro EC2 instead?

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Whatever happened to Ethereum after that whole switch over?

It kinda looks like nothing much at all, like the actual technology driving this garbage is just a fig leaf for the scamming.

Which makes me wonder, are there any crypto that just pretended the whole block chain thing but just ran their database on a micro EC2 instead?

ethereum apparently can do only 30 transactions per second so it'd have to be pretty cheap to fake...

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/sophie_frm_mars/status/1638636866709917697?s=20
I'm sure this is Good For Bitcoin™

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
even if buttcoin created energy instead of burning it, its still the money for crimes like CSAM so all the tech is bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

If you think a dip of 7% is going to impress me, well I'm sorry but this is the bitcoin thread!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I don't know what micro ec2 is but OneCoin was just making up the price of their coin every day while claiming they had a blockchain.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

acidx posted:

I don't know what micro ec2 is but OneCoin was just making up the price of their coin every day while claiming they had a blockchain.

Yeah OneCoin was literally just a spreadsheet. It is extreme lol (apart from all the people in poor countries they ripped off :/)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

I kept the last cheque in my chequebook as a reminder of that ancient relic.

Issued by a North American bank, of course, because who else still does that nonsense nowadays?

Every year I have to sit down and write out twelve rent cheques for my landlord and mail them to her

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For about a year I lived in a place where I paid rent by depositing cash directly into the landlord's account at the bank. The deposit slip was my receipt.

Yes, the place was sketchy as hell. Why do you ask?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PhazonLink posted:

even if buttcoin created energy instead of burning it, its still the money for crimes like CSAM so all the tech is bad.

read that as CSPAM at first

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah OneCoin was literally just a spreadsheet. It is extreme lol (apart from all the people in poor countries they ripped off :/)

I knew a guy who started pushing OneCoin after being neck-deep in MLMs practically since we were kids, and that was the sign I needed to finally cut him completely out of my life. He quickly progressed to pushing crypto more generally, getting selfies with Vitalik Buterin like they were best buddies, that kind of crap. Thankfully most of my friend circle who also knows the guy were able to recognize that he was full of poo poo.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

acidx posted:

Tiny cheap cloud computer

Also lol

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

acidx posted:

lmao, that's genius. Evil, but genius.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, that's genius. Evil, but genius.

The woman who started it disappeared before the SEC came down on the scam and no one knows where she is to this day. I expect her to reemerge as a global threat with a massive Bond villain underground base.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Cryptobro denialism runs strong today. Saw some idiots going "Coinbase has a strong case vs the SEC". in response to the enforcement action.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lazyfire posted:

The woman who started it disappeared before the SEC came down on the scam and no one knows where she is to this day. I expect her to reemerge as a global threat with a massive Bond villain underground base.

quote:

According to a report published by Bulgarian investigative reporting site Bird, Ignatova was murdered in November 2018 on the orders of a Bulgarian drug lord, Hristoforos Amanatidis, also known as "Taki". The alleged murderer, Hristo Hristov, who is also Bulgarian, is currently serving time in a Dutch prison for drug trafficking. According to the report, Ignatova was murdered aboard a yacht in the Ionian Sea, and her body was dismembered and cast overboard. The alleged motive for the murder was to conceal the drug lord's involvement in the OneCoin scam. The narco-boss is said currently to reside in Dubai, having evaded Bulgarian authorities.[27][28]

Wiki cites a report saying she was murdered by a guy basically named Chris Christov on the orders of a guy named Christopher.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Pirate Radar posted:

Wiki cites a report saying she was murdered by a guy basically named Chris Christov on the orders of a guy named Christopher.

christ

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
lol the linus tech tips youtube channel was hacked by crypto scammers

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, yeah, all their other channels too - Tech Quickie is now live showing a Musk scam video.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oof, yeah, all their other channels too - Tech Quickie is now live showing a Musk scam video.

How awful, where am I supposed to go to get a Tech Quickie? :ohdear:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

How awful, where am I supposed to go to get a Tech Quickie? :ohdear:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

exmachina posted:

Americas banking is so backwards lol. I've been able to send money to any domestic account via my bank's website since 1999 and via the app basically since apps were a thing.

Edit: for free
But think of all the innovation you're missing out on!

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
anyone watching binance with any interest feel free to post your thoughts here. the cracks appear to be forming

drk
Jan 16, 2005
worlds most not on the run man arrested using fake passport

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2023/03/23/do-kwon-arrested-in-montenegro-interior-minister/

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

folding ideas / dan olsen has a rough draft of his new video up on patrons about virtual worlds. a lot of what i've watched so far talks about metaverse and decentraland but also how the crypto grifters attached themselves to it because, sure, why not. its still missing stuff but i'm guessing he'll have it out soon.

lmao

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

don't kwon, especially using fake passports

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
hello I am Don't Kwoff, yes I may look like Do Kwon with a fake moustache and wig but rest assured I am a completely separate person.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
d'oh kwon

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we have Kwontact

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Pirate Radar posted:

Chris Chris and Chris Del Chris won't get away with this.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

Nah, you could say the same thing about VPNs or end to end encryption or other privacy technology. The theoretical privacy that comes from using bitcoin isn't the bad thing about it, even if bad people use it to do bad things.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
This arrest is good for Bitcoin because

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

stab posted:

This arrest is good for Bitcoin because

Without even looking I will 100% guarantee that there is some crypto dork posting a 10,000 words thesis on twitter about how now that they've eliminated a high profile bad actor trust can be rebuilt, and goes on to lay out how he plans on getting NFTs into elementary schools (1/235).

It's loving amazing how fast crypto bros pivot to throwing one of their own under the buss when they gently caress up bad enough that normal people sit back and go "yeah that looks kinda bad."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

Without even looking I will 100% guarantee that there is some crypto dork posting a 10,000 words thesis on twitter about how now that they've eliminated a high profile bad actor trust can be rebuilt, and goes on to lay out how he plans on getting NFTs into elementary schools (1/235).

It's loving amazing how fast crypto bros pivot to throwing one of their own under the buss when they gently caress up bad enough that normal people sit back and go "yeah that looks kinda bad."
There's thousand of crypto heads being wrong constantly on Twitter who are already pro and against common figures. It's not entertaining unless there's a documented flip flops.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
So what's the chances Do Kwon's obviously fake passport was purchased with crypto off some dark web grifter? 100%?

Or, for extra comedy, dark web three feds in a coat pretending to be an unsavory internet businessman

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

So what's the chances Do Kwon's obviously fake passport was purchased with crypto off some dark web grifter? 100%?

Or, for extra comedy, dark web three feds in a coat pretending to be an unsavory internet businessman

100% purchased with OPM (other people's money). My curiosity is whether he was trying to escape to Dubai or Russia (due to location) but eh whatever.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, a couple korean guys traveling on fake costa rican passports in the balkans

how did it take so long to catch them

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1638993240128114688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol again