Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
gently caress and here i am doing nothing for free like a chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A Bakers Cousin posted:

another CSPAM success story

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks posted:

gently caress this dumb court system and gently caress California.

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

incredible season finale, thank you for your performance

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

gently caress and here i am doing nothing for free like a chump

if you're good at something never do it for free

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Oh when communism goes full employment and has a bunch of bullshit jobs like elevator minder it's a good thing but everyone is quick to lambast the bullshit jobs if capitalism.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bedpan posted:

skilled counterfeiters have discovered that you can wrap a core of tungsten with a good layer of gold and make coins and bars that pass all tests and can't be detected unless you try and melt it down

learning that even the gold is fake is the premium content I follow this thread for :cheers:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol capital can kill labor but it can’t kill the aristocracy. should have listened adam smith, he tried to warn you!!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

if the lawyer comes back and says your screwed, I don’t blame you at all. We were legally, and morally correct. The court system is garbage.

i really can't say enough how pissed off I am for you. i get some people have to joke about it but poo poo is not right. can i donate some money your way for fees if things indeed fall through?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol, lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

I never withheld rent because she got a contractor over to give her an estimate to fix the doors. Then she never fixed the doors.

so this is $300 in addition to losing the whole security deposit and getting the retaliatory rent raise then?

that loving sucks

A Bakers Cousin posted:

another CSPAM success story

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Oh when communism goes full employment and has a bunch of bullshit jobs like elevator minder it's a good thing but everyone is quick to lambast the bullshit jobs if capitalism.

Yeah im not really a fan of calling anyone's job a bullshit job

Feels divisive and pointless

People gotta work to eat

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TeenageArchipelago posted:

so this is $300 in addition to losing the whole security deposit and getting the retaliatory rent raise then?

that loving sucks

$378 and yes.
(supposedly)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SardonicTyrant posted:

*slaps house of cards* Wait until you see how stable it is!

This didn't deserve to get buried

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
who wants to go play the tax form simulator dating sim with me

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

china has the industrial economy Number likes to pretend the us has. it’s already done the whole input substitution game with its immediate neighbors and has moved on to become the largest trading partner of: russia, most of africa, most of south america (lol eat poo poo soutcom lady general), etc. the whole underdeveloped world is waiting to take over consumption of chinese goods if but for dollar hegemony and the encirclement of nukes by the psychotic empire. the good news is you’re posting it the thread dedicated to laughing at the collapse of the former, and for the latter xi jinping thought knows you just have to wait for american hardware to fall apart from neglect :toot:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah im not really a fan of calling anyone's job a bullshit job

Feels divisive and pointless

People gotta work to eat

or, you could just universally pay people enough to cover the basic costs of living, without them having to do pointless, mind numbing bullshit like push the buttons in an elevator for people

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's going to be like 3 banks left at the end of this.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1638623327953494022

wolff said today that the fiction of private capitalism is over now, it’s all nakedly state capitalism, so I have no doubt these banks are all trying to slit each others throats to grab the bag

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Q-sixtysix posted:

when I was a linguist and analyst in the Navy circa 2000, the PRC had less than 50 ships, a total brown water Navy.

Now they have more vessels than we do. we closed most shipyards, and our production capacity has cratered. The workforce responsible for the last big buildup in the 80s is mostly retired now, and their replacements are not as capable. not to mention the entire way the Navy procures vessels is not designed to make ships fast. it’s designed to make defense contractors rich.

What won WW2 wasn’t that our boys were stronger or tougher, it’s that we could outproduce. that is absolutely not the case now.

China has already won the war.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, by directly controlling industry and centrally organizing war production in an unprecedented expansion of the state.

Do you see why that's impossible now?

brandons gonna send millions of pasty tech works to the mills lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

gently caress this dumb court system and gently caress California.

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

jfc

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

or, you could just universally pay people enough to cover the basic costs of living, without them having to do pointless, mind numbing bullshit like push the buttons in an elevator for people

oh let's just do that then, I wasn't aware that was an option on the table for us. and all we had to do was insult a bunch of people working lovely jobs to get there!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bedpan posted:

skilled counterfeiters have discovered that you can wrap a core of tungsten with a good layer of gold and make coins and bars that pass all tests and can't be detected unless you try and melt it down

you could easily tell the difference with neutron scattering, but not everyone has a maoist backyard nuclear reactor

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FlapYoJacks posted:

If the lawyer says to wait for final judgement then I will at least give out a tiny presence of hope. But at this point I have a feeling this dumb parasite got her way because she counterclaimed for $10,000 and the judge wiped out my $10,000 claim and gave her $300.

I can’t believe this website is only $10 lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
this was a fun day in the doomsday econ thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I will go homeless before I rent ever again.

Edit: For the record, my wife and I have rented from 4 other places in our time together and have NEVER been accused of this bullshit and have always got our security deposit back without hassle. the last apartment we were in we lived in for 5 years with three children and our dog and we got the security deposit back sans standard cleaning fee (in the lease for $200) within two weeks.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Mar 23, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Radirot posted:

i really can't say enough how pissed off I am for you. i get some people have to joke about it but poo poo is not right. can i donate some money your way for fees if things indeed fall through?

It’s fine. The money itself isn’t the issue. It’s the principle. I appreciate the offer!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

The_Franz posted:

actually people get trapped in elevators all the time, it goes without saying this is potentially lethal, and most elevator techs are hours away at the least. It wouldn't be overkill at all for each large building to have a dedicated elevator tech imo.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
my company is expected to let go 5,000-10,000 employees. not sure how many headlines it will make as it’s in waves and some are technically contractors so reporting laws don’t kick in. but it’s already started and it’s not pretty.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

War and Pieces posted:

actually people get trapped in elevators all the time, it goes without saying this is potentially lethal, and most elevator techs are hours away at the least. It wouldn't be overkill at all for each large building to have a dedicated elevator tech imo.

Every hospital I've worked at has had elevators out of service all the time. At least my current place can keep up with it, my old one constantly got people stuck and wouldn't show up. They eventually replaced them but it still wasn't 100%

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

A former recruiter for Meta said she was paid a $190,000 salary to do “nothing” at the social media giant — where CEO Mark Zuckerberg in recent weeks has revealed plans to slash 21,000 jobs.

Career strategist Madelyn Machado posted a video on TikTok on Friday titled “Getting paid $190k to do nothing at Meta” — recalling a six-month stint at the owner of Facebook and Instagram that ended last spring.

Machado said in her TikTok video that upon her arrival at the company in September 2021, she was told by her bosses not to hire anyone.

“We weren’t expected to hire anybody for the first six months, even the first year,” she said. “This is something they tell you when you start.”

“That really blew my mind,” she added. “Like ‘Perfect, I’m just going to ride this out for a year,’ obviously I didn’t make that.”

facebook pays recruiters $190,000???

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

skooma512 posted:

Every hospital I've worked at has had elevators out of service all the time. At least my current place can keep up with it, my old one constantly got people stuck and wouldn't show up. They eventually replaced them but it still wasn't 100%

Biden should mandate that all 10,000 laid off indeed employees be certified in elevator repair

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1638715139158577152?s=20

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

It's a good thing we made a bunch of unaccountable judges the country's supreme ruling body

Hamilton, Federalist 78 posted:

But it is not with a view to infractions of the Constitution only, that the independence of the judges may be an essential safeguard against the effects of occasional ill humors in the society. These sometimes extend no farther than to the injury of the private rights of particular classes of citizens, by unjust and partial laws. Here also the firmness of the judicial magistracy is of vast importance in mitigating the severity and confining the operation of such laws. It not only serves to moderate the immediate mischiefs of those which may have been passed

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Shear Modulus posted:

Recruiting for tech companies is the most absurd pay to work ratio I’ve seen in tech. They’re universally poo poo, they make more money than actual contributing workers, and most of them know it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's always great how the federalist papers, which in high school history class were mentioned in reverential tones like they were the loving pauline epistles but what they actually are is just james madison talking about how the constitution is awesome because every part of it is rigged so that the public can never actually control the government but we can still pretend it's democratic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i once went to small claims over a car crash. some guy t boned me outside community college 9999 yrs ago and sued me for the max. for some strange reason my insurance company agreed with my plan to counter sue for the max also and theyd foot the bill. it was small claims so i represented myself amnd was like 20 years old. the judge thought it was really hosed up and pretty funny and awarded us both the full 10k so we just gave eachother 10k. well he gave me his real 10k and my insurance company gave him 10k. it got deposited into my bank account which i wired to the insurance company. it was really weird. my mom drove me to court. it was cool. the judge asked me if i wanted ot be a lawyer when i grew up. lmfao. anyways that was a long time ago. the guy also came to court with a walker and neck brace, neither of which he needed since he wasnt injured at all.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

it's always great how the federalist papers, which in high school history class were mentioned in reverential tones like they were the loving pauline epistles but what they actually are is just james madison talking about how the constitution is awesome because every part of it is rigged so that the public can never actually control the government but we can still pretend it's democratic

theyre amazing and very funny. also the bill of rights was added kuz the anti feds were literally just concern trolling about it to prevent the constitution from getting ratified.

fed 84 is one of the most famous but nobody every quotes the literal entire back half of it where hamilton just goes off on a deranged rant about taxes. also he contradicts himself insanely hard. he says well we have common law so we dont need a bill of rights. but then again u can just override regular laws if you want? also blackstone made this big compendium of all british common laws which we, geniuses in new york, imported wholesale into our state consitition like a programming library so no need for this. but then again.... what good are parchment barriers against a tyrant? hmm?? anyways, ...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

MMATANG recruiters pay a lot for some reason. recruiters seem way overvalued, just going up to someone and saying " eyy u want a job here? big figgies! ok cool sign on the dotted line" works better than hiring 9999 recruiters. but on the flip side, they're always first to get laid off

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

from what i understand the elevator trade is mega unionized and your average large building operator would poo poo a brick at the cost to keep a dedicated elevator tech on-site 24/7

holy poo poo

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/elevator-installers-and-repairers.htm posted:

Quick Facts: Elevator and Escalator Installers and Repairers

2021 Median Pay
$97,860 per year
$47.05 per hour

[…]

Number of Jobs, 2021 23,200

[…]

Despite limited employment growth, about 2,100 openings for elevator and escalator installers and repairers are projected each year, on average, over the decade. Most of those openings are expected to result from the need to replace workers who transfer to different occupations or exit the labor force, such as to retire.

if these numbers are roughly accurate then like substantially all elevator techs in the U.S. are union

anyway isn't it the fire department's job to get trapped people out of elevators? then the elevator tech's job is to repair the damage the fire department did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

We're halfway to a 10% interest rate :toot: