Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Viller posted:

Hes not saying of that as fact, its a loving joke... You cant be serious right?
Lazerpig may be joking now, but with the way the war is going I could see Russia collecting Honda Jazzes across the country, slapping some steel plates and DSHKs on them, and sending them off to the front. The fuel efficient 1.5L engine would be a boon for their logistics. The low ground clearance would be a negative though, especially when Putin orders another offensive at the start of a mud season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Lazerpig is an just as bad as any other armchair warlord. The only difference is that his drunk slurring gimmick is incredibly obnoxious its surprising anyone can bear with it for the runtime of his videos. Every other video of him "analyzing" tanks should be taking with a grain of salt when regarding his embarrassing video of him stanning for his favorite native British Crusader video. The T14 is obviously a piece of junk tho.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo. That's not hyperbole. It's a fact.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Sedgr posted:

If he were to be somehow ingested by a horse, he could legit become a pile of road apples.

More fittingly, it would be a pig. A big pig.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

What a dark empty place you'd have to be in to have a favorite tank or care what other people's favorite tanks are.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Jimlit posted:

What a dark empty place you'd have to be in to have a favorite tank or care what other people's favorite tanks are.

You are my favorite tankie!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Drone_Fragger posted:

I would uh, disagree on efficiencies being made though. ...Production wise maybe, but design improvements stand no chance.

I think OP was talking about production efficiencies, in the context of scaling up to meet unexpected demand in the event of unplanned war

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Leopards versus T-55s god almighty I never thought I'd see the. Day.

Next can we get a deadliest warrior style encounter with an M1 Abraham and a KV-1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Next can we get a deadliest warrior style encounter with an M1 Abraham and a KV-1

If you told me this was an elaborate summon ritual for Tom Clancy's ghost Id believe you

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Abrams and Challengers can't have all the fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wanna say as awful as everything is I can still crack a smile remembering Steven Seagal's "dance"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Was that a dance? I thought he was doing an aikido on that poor woman

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opSlCGLGQ4&t=983s

judge for yourself, but it seems like a pretty clear joke delivered in a very deadpan style. timestamped for the section talking about engines, 16:23 if the timestamp doesnt work

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Suspect A posted:

Lazerpig is an just as bad as any other armchair warlord. The only difference is that his drunk slurring gimmick is incredibly obnoxious its surprising anyone can bear with it for the runtime of his videos. Every other video of him "analyzing" tanks should be taking with a grain of salt when regarding his embarrassing video of him stanning for his favorite native British Crusader video. The T14 is obviously a piece of junk tho.

Stopped listening to him quite some time ago, his gimmick was far too annoying.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I get my opinions on military hardware from an internet pig (size of balls unknown.)

Download World of Warships today.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

Download World of Warships today.

Nice try :nsa:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah, a world of tanks fan. Might I interest you in our Blueprint Bragging Bonus program underway now?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Was that a dance? I thought he was doing an aikido on that poor woman

The way she quickly spins away from him and then gently claps for the crazy man while looking bemused makes me lmao every time

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Ah, a world of tanks fan. Might I interest you in our Blueprint Bragging Bonus program underway now?

World of Warplanes is also an option if you want to just shoot planes

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CSM posted:

A tank is still a tank even if its ancient, it needs to be dealt with.

Sure, but on a battlefield with plenty of modern anti-tank weapons some 70 year old T-55 they fished out of storage feels like a turbo special death trap.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, its a tank; it is protected from small arms fire, takes AT weapon to die, and carries a big gun that works against infantry, smaller vehicles and bunkers. Its hot garbage and a death trap against other tanks and even more modern IFVs, but as a fire support platform for the infantry it is better than "no support".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shinjobi posted:

I just wanna say as awful as everything is I can still crack a smile remembering Steven Seagal's "dance"

i would like to remember the dance on his grave

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Idk about that, but there's a nonzero chance that they'll repair some monuments and ship them to the front and we'll get to see a ISU-152 get vaporized by a CV-90's autocannon or a mavic dropping a bomb on top.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah agreed on that point. Having seen first hand how terrible tooling up things are and how easy it is to lose "institutional knowledge" of how the poo poo you're selling works, it's justified on that front. At the same time I think it's accidental, as you say, I imagine it's more general dynamics buying them lots of "nice dinners" among other things. the UK is learning this the hard way now since we "accidently" sold all our nuclear design capability to GE, who then closed it all up, so we now are having to rdevelop nuclear reactor tech from basically scratch for the navy. It's embarrassing honestly.

I would uh, disagree on efficiencies being made though. the MIC is kinda bad at that because they don't tend to actively have competition once they win. Why make your missile "better" when the government have already said they're going to buy them for the next ten years, and your engineers could be working on something else to bid on another contract. Production wise maybe, but design improvements stand no chance.

But they probably do. Once they have the sale price locked down they actively seek to find ways to produce them cheaper. That means increasing efficiency, thereby increasing profit margin.

I used to do it all the time in chemical sales.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
In other news, "what salary doing?"

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1638708404570185729

Some foreshadowing

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638821986234417152

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

I don’t know what else he could say about the situation. I wouldn’t read too much into that. They aren’t going to advertise the counter assault.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Some satelite pics from the depots where the T-55 came from

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1638841319425449984

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s crazy to remember the major news outlets reporting it would fall like a month or so ago and once again everyone gets it wrong and underestimates Ukraine’s resolve and Russia’s complete incompetence.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ecumenical Patriarch condemns ROC for its role in Russian aggression

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1638826339779203073

Bakhmut - comparison with a situation one week ago

https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1638699131945328641

Over 2 weeks

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1638827936135655427

Hersh still full of poo poo

https://twitter.com/holger_stark/status/1638561100009549829

Something nice for a change

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1638778349496442880

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

aww that's super sweet! except for the dog getting mad jealous of all the horse attention.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Am disappointed to discover that hippotherapy doesn't involve hippos.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Kchama posted:

Am disappointed to discover that hippotherapy doesn't involve hippos.

hippopotamus stands for 'river horse' iirc

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I've flat out stopped reading anything to do with predicting Bakhmut from pro Ukraine or pro russia sources. When it falls or when it's relieved, then I'll read about it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, its a tank; it is protected from small arms fire, takes AT weapon to die, and carries a big gun that works against infantry, smaller vehicles and bunkers. Its hot garbage and a death trap against other tanks and even more modern IFVs, but as a fire support platform for the infantry it is better than "no support".

I mean, yeah, why this is a big issue is that pre-war estimates for Russia's T-72 reserves were in the thousands. If they are digging out these museum pieces already, their stock of salvageable T-72s is either exhausted or they don't have the capacity to refurbish more of them at the same time(presumably due to some bottleneck in parts or tooling). Both would be really interesting and not something anyone expected cause all the tooling and parts are Soviet era, so they should be able to produce it themselves and one of the very first things they would have spooled up a year ago.

We might actually be able to outproduce them in terms of tanks if we want, without going total war economy. Or European MIC is a joke, but so is Russia's apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

We might actually be able to outproduce them in terms of tanks if we want, without going total war economy. Or European MIC is a joke, but so is Russia's apparently.
We absolutely could if we wanted, they made about 1,000 M1s per year during peace time. There's no desire to do if, for whatever reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jimlit posted:

i found yours

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tai posted:

I've flat out stopped reading anything to do with predicting Bakhmut from pro Ukraine or pro russia sources. When it falls or when it's relieved, then I'll read about it.

This is me but for minor map updates. I realize it's loving neverending horror, but with no substantial movement, that's all it is. Neverending horror, forcing a neighbor state to genocide your domestic undesirables and scrap your outdated war poo poo, while at the same time murdering and raping your way through a sister country and loving with the global food supply. Even reading about it is emotionally exhausting. I don't know what to do with this.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Dwesa posted:

Ecumenical Patriarch condemns ROC for its role in Russian aggression

I thought you meant Taiwan (ROC) there for a second and was stunned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

Forget tank engine chat, what about Steven Seagal's terrible power to weight ratio