Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ItohRespectArmy posted:

pretty sure boris will be PM again within the decade.

I'm pretty sure that Boris will no longer be an MP in 18 months. He can't make a million a year from public speaking engagements while he's PM, and he's got too much ego to remain on the back benches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jedit posted:

I'm pretty sure that Boris will no longer be an MP in 18 months. He can't make a million a year from public speaking engagements while he's PM, and he's got too much ego to remain on the back benches.

If I was Reform UK I would be on the phone to him right now. Can't work out if it would be hilarious or terrifying. Probs a bit of both.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The biggest disappointment is that Johnson spent 5 grand an hour of public money on a lawyer called Lord Pannick and he didn't even turn up dressed as a Warham Spacemans.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

too much ego to remain on the back benches.

Him and Stanley on the prowl in the lords.
Looking for totty

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Barry Foster posted:

Am I right in thinking that the absolute worst thing that could happen to Big Dog from this - the absolute worst - is that he'll get re-elected to his seat by his idiot constituency, if said idiot consistency decides to recall him in the first place?

I don't think his lawyer has anything to worry about

Sure, this isn't a Trump situation where being his lawyer puts you in danger of being charged with something.

But it probably stings to spend so much time painstakingly explaining a point to someone and then watching them making a dogs dinner of it on camera.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dall-E, draw me the Worst Simon and Garfunkel.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Anyone else involved in the ongoing UCU (University and College Union) strike? If so, how’s it going for members at your institution?

In a nutshell for those not aware, the UCU and some other unions involved with post secondary education have been actively on strike since December. The last scheduled strike day was yesterday, and the UCU put out an official ballot to all members asking then if they wanted to continue striking, which at this point would mean escalating to the nuclear option: a marking boycott, which would prevent many students from graduating. That ballot result will come back next week (I think?).

Two weeks ago, however, the employers offered a milquetoast deal and the UCU leadership put it to an informal vote among members about whether they wanted to vote to accept; the majority of members voted to do so, but then a steering committee announced that they would not recognize that result and would instead keep going with the strike, at least until the original formal ballot results are in.

So now we’re in the situation where UCU members are pissed and feel that their voice isn’t being heard, while everyone waits awkwardly to hear if we’re going to be escalating or not. The mood in my branch is definitely restive over the whole situation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Compulsory train reservation coach A. Train arrives. No coach A. First coach is G. But it is the quiet coach where my reservation was so here I sit.

First time in Newport (Wales) for several moons (can't remember. COVID time dilates everything). What a poo poo hole it's turning in to. It was a poo poo hole in the 70s and is returning to its natural lovely state.
So many boarded up shops. Same story in every town now across the western world.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

pretty sure boris will be PM again within the decade.

I don't think so. He's getting old, his support among Tory MPs is minimal, and he's served his purpose of Getting Brexit Done and Defeating Jeremy Corbyn. The maniac wing will coalesce around someone else and Johnson will wander off to the Lords for a drink and a snooze.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I see that Sir Keith has decided todays Labour crackdown is going to be on, erm, smells

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638857991658291200?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
New Labour policy just dropped

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
smell of cannabis (black) wafting in through windows of family homes (white) in neighborhoods (white)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't know what he's on about, there are no homes in Holborn, just broken dreams.

Seriously though, no one lives in Holborn, it's all offices.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So information on the new edition of 40K just dropped, including the model on returning Primarch, Lion El Johnson.

Is it just me or does he bear a resemblance to a certain former Labour leader?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's how you should have to dress if you're going to be called Lord Pannick.

smellmycheese posted:

I see that Sir Keith has decided todays Labour crackdown is going to be on, erm, smells

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638857991658291200?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut posted:

:siren::siren:
DRUG SMELL

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

The biggest disappointment is that Johnson spent 5 grand an hour of public money on a lawyer called Lord Pannick and he didn't even turn up dressed as a Warham Spacemans.

Where's my Pannick at the Disco headline juxtaposing one of Paanick's eurgh faces with a shot of Bojo at a party

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Labour council candidate knocked on the door, and now gutted that I didn't have 10 minutes prep to smite her with facts and logic. Best I could manage was 'well that's too bad' when she tried to explain that literally all parties override their selection bylaws to put who they want in. Literally any other line of argument springing to mind would have been great, like sexcops, or so it was actually a labour council that killed off childrens services to fund guy fawkes night??

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

smellmycheese posted:

Honestly, I have a bunch of neighbours who like the stuff, and I find the smell absolutely rank. It's up their with the cat poo poo the neighbours also subject me to. Legalise it but only in return for breeding less obnoxiously stinky strains.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I have obnoxious neighbours too but I'm not calling for them to be prosecuted.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

So information on the new edition of 40K just dropped, including the model on returning Primarch, Lion El Johnson.

Is it just me or does he bear a resemblance to a certain former Labour leader?

I haven't played Warhammer 40K since before my voice broke (I had a Tyrannid army. I say had, I'm pretty sure it's still somewhere in my parents house. I know my 2nd edition codex is still there) but I keep up with the fiction to some degree because I'm a moron with bad taste & I find the way they've shaken up the status quo lately with actual Primarchs returning extremely interesting on at least a conceptual level. I don't know how that relates to the tabletop game but considering it had been mostly frozen in stasis like an Ultramarines Primarch for 30 years & now it's suddenly things are happening more than just "a Hive Fleet came in & was bad but was stopped" or "Abaddon did another Black Crusade & failed again".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Diet Crack posted:

I have obnoxious neighbours too but I'm not calling for them to be prosecuted.
Neither am I, but I'm being genuine when I say I find the smell absolutely obnoxious to the point of not being able to enjoy the garden.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I quite like the smell, I’d much rather have neighbours that smoked rather than the ones I do have that have screaming matches at all hours of the day.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'll also take weed smoke over the stale ashtray smell of cigarettes, atleast weed smoke doesn't hang around for loving ever.

Point is, there are far bigger problems to solve than "omg people smoking weed OUTSIDE" and Keith is a wet mop oval office fuckface.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638858335846801411what

edit: lol surely this time promising to be the most hardline on crime ever ever ever will win over the right-wing press!
https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1638868254432083970

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 23, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol that it's the smell of cannabis ruining lives, rather than the slow, relentless crushing of all our hopes and dreams by the forces of neoliberalism.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

I'll also take weed smoke over the stale ashtray smell of cigarettes, atleast weed smoke doesn't hang around for loving ever.

Point is, there are far bigger problems to solve than "omg people smoking weed OUTSIDE" and Keith is a wet mop oval office fuckface.

He’s on a run if being a poo poo oval office today

https://twitter.com/expresspolitics/status/1638837605885440000?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1638827942490046465?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

keir makes poo poo up as bad as trump imo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ugh, I was just playing a game on my 3DS for the first time in years, and now my brain has decided to add a disturbingly good 3D effect to any images within rectangles.

So I just had a bunch of Starmers gurning out of the screen at me in pseudo-3D.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Anyone else involved in the ongoing UCU (University and College Union) strike? If so, how’s it going for members at your institution?

In a nutshell for those not aware, the UCU and some other unions involved with post secondary education have been actively on strike since December. The last scheduled strike day was yesterday, and the UCU put out an official ballot to all members asking then if they wanted to continue striking, which at this point would mean escalating to the nuclear option: a marking boycott, which would prevent many students from graduating. That ballot result will come back next week (I think?).

Two weeks ago, however, the employers offered a milquetoast deal and the UCU leadership put it to an informal vote among members about whether they wanted to vote to accept; the majority of members voted to do so, but then a steering committee announced that they would not recognize that result and would instead keep going with the strike, at least until the original formal ballot results are in.

So now we’re in the situation where UCU members are pissed and feel that their voice isn’t being heard, while everyone waits awkwardly to hear if we’re going to be escalating or not. The mood in my branch is definitely restive over the whole situation.

I'm absolutely not an expert, but from what I've heard Jo Grady, the head of the UCU has just repeatedly hosed up over this whole strike. She's made concessions that she didn't have to, she apparently revealed the state of the strike fund on Twitter (which drastically undermines negotiations) and a bunch of other stuff besides. People are really pissed off with her.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Honestly, I have a bunch of neighbours who like the stuff, and I find the smell absolutely rank. It's up their with the cat poo poo the neighbours also subject me to. Legalise it but only in return for breeding less obnoxiously stinky strains.

Yea weed does smell terrible. I'd not want it wafting into my house either, but I also wouldn't want someone playing loud music every night and that's legal.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

MeinPanzer posted:

The informal web poll was a loaded question, asking whether you wanted to do two things in one question - pause strikes and be consulted on the offer, or don't pause strikes and don't be consulted on the offer. The option of don't pause strikes but be consulted isn't there, which is the one most people seemed to want to pick. Some people wanted to pause strikes, some people wanted to be consulted but didn't want to pause strikes, but the question was worded to get the answer that the people setting it wanted. The question caused a lot of heartache amongst members! Also I'd note that the email sent out only linked to a podcast describing the "offer" that was very misleading - you had to search for what the offer actually was, and it may not surprise you that the podcast severely misrepresented it.

There were further democratic functions that are actually in the rules rather than the GS sending out a loaded question webpoll (specifically each branch nominated delegates which met and voted, then the result was sent to the HEC) that resulted in the no immediate pause of strikes section, and after considering the offer determined it was too dogshit to pass to members. From what I can understand this was reached as it's effectively no offer, just a continuation of what the current position is, so if we wish to concede we simply vote no to further strikes and accept the employer's position of nothing (so no point passing it out to members at the same time as a strike reballot as it's the same question and would just cause confusion).

Broadly it's games by the union's leadership to undermine member action by publishing misleading questions. Why this is I don't fully understand - there's been rumblings of being leant on by Labour party leadership, factional infighting as senior members are happy with the pension reform and don't want to bother fighting for pay and casualisation as their contracts are fine and they'll retire before the pay situation get too bad (which is a problem as the post-92 unis aren't in USS anyway so are just dumped by the wayside) and a load of other things.

Some, all or none of these could be true but it does seem to be a total betrayal of the post-92 universities and other unions involved in the dispute though, and was strongly resisted by the junior members who aren't on permanent contracts.

e - So to summarise the webpoll was outside the normal union decision making process and was pretty much an attempt by the GS to influence the decision making process in their favour by publishing a loaded question with misleading information.

Incy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 23, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thing is most people aren't hanging out by your window blowing it in deliberately and I'm sure that if they're you're neighbours the mere act of being like 'hey could you like, go around the corner, it's coming in the window' would be enough. But no, gotta criminalise it more and lock everyone up to make the streets 'safe' again from loving weed of all things. Nevermind fixing the outrageous class system that exists in this country that probably drives people to using drugs in the loving first place.

I can't wait for the day the house of commons ceiling just loving collapses on the entire chamber and the fire and ambulance services take 12 hours to loving attend.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Compulsory train reservation coach A. Train arrives. No coach A. First coach is G. But it is the quiet coach where my reservation was so here I sit.

First time in Newport (Wales) for several moons (can't remember. COVID time dilates everything). What a poo poo hole it's turning in to. It was a poo poo hole in the 70s and is returning to its natural lovely state.
So many boarded up shops. Same story in every town now across the western world.

If you end up back there the Rogue Fox is lovely as is the refurbished Newport Market, although the latter is very very spenny money-wise.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Thing is most people aren't hanging out by your window blowing it in deliberately and I'm sure that if they're you're neighbours the mere act of being like 'hey could you like, go around the corner, it's coming in the window' would be enough. But no, gotta criminalise it more and lock everyone up to make the streets 'safe' again from loving weed of all things. Nevermind fixing the outrageous class system that exists in this country that probably drives people to using drugs in the loving first place.

I can't wait for the day the house of commons ceiling just loving collapses on the entire chamber and the fire and ambulance services take 12 hours to loving attend.

Yea the problem is that lovely neighbours can make your life hell, that's not drugs causing it it's them being poo poo.

I'm sure there's plenty of similar families where the parents can't get the kids to sleep due to noise or alcoholism and that's just "normal" or dealt with by the council if you're lucky.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If the smell of weed is the problem, then the solution should be to legalize weed vapes in a form that makes it vastly more convenient to vape it than crack it open and smoke the insides.

People will then go with the easier option.

Same as back when the moral panic du jour was Rosie Duffield complaining about nitrous cannisters everywhere.

Guavanaut posted:

lol, a drug that we've had clinical studies of recreational use on since the 1840s (because the doctors were all huffing it).

Half of the complaints are just about canisters littering everywhere, which could be avoided if it didn't have to be sold as *nudge nudge wink wink* whipped cream propellant and they could just sell larger canisters with gas/air regulators for personal use.

Why are prohibitionists and why does Labour keep doing this poo poo?

I've not seen nearly as much nitrous littering in the past year as back then, and the moral panic artists seem to have gone silent too.

I have seen a few of these guys lying around though, but they're easy enough to pick up and put into the recycling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ye3Ru3hUTE

love too see keith get into a lose a fight with a plant tho

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

love too see keith get into a lose a fight with a plant tho

He's a plant, a Tory one

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Whose windows are open now, it's like ten degrees

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I always find the ludicrous term “Hippy Crack” very funny.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

People have just moved on from small nitrous canisters to the larger bottle ones. They've done nothing to address the 'problem' other than making cream dispensers obsolete lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Haven't they been making noise about making nitrous illegal to purchase in any form? Not that that necessarily means anything. I think it was Big Brain Braverman

Up yours, woke pastry chefs!

It sucks cos nitrous is tremendous fun, extremely safe, and goes well with everything. If it were legal to use recreationally we could also be less wasteful with packaging. I don't buy it because I feel awful about the sheer amount of metal that gets wasted. But if we can buy big canisters now....:unsmigghh: