Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

freebooter posted:

In terms of feeling safe from the government, or picking a country to raise my children in while imagining what that country might look like by 2040 or 2050, America by a country mile. (And Australia above America by another country mile).

What exactly do you, a worker, have to fear from the Chinese government? What do you do now in your life that makes you fearful? Is it your browsing habits? Are you a billionaire? You do realize you can criticize the Chinese government in China if you're a worker, right? It's not the harshest COVID lockdowns in the world, you said that was Melbourne VIC AU. You do realize you can live in America and be targeted, arrested, hurt, murdered for what you say, right? Have you not been paying attention the past 100 years?

You've been fed a lot of propaganda. I don't think you understand just how deeply this has affected your ideology.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty sure people poo poo talk the government on Weibo all the time don't they? The government just takes down the Winnie the Pooh pics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Yes to all three except working. I've worked in South Korea and the UK but nowhere else (except Aus obviously).

In terms of personal safety I feel safer e.g. walking down the street in China (and also pretty much anywhere else in East Asia) than in the US.

In terms of feeling safe from the government, or picking a country to raise my children in while imagining what that country might look like by 2040 or 2050, America by a country mile. (And Australia above America by another country mile).

I think it's telling that you rattle off the Howard Zinn view of America without a direct comparison to China. Do you think police in China are "accountable"? Do think China doesn't have a problem with lead in the water and poison in the air? Do you think the factory and sweatshop workers of China aren't also "enslaved to capital"?

The difference - as I said earlier - is that we can have this very debate on a website forum hosted in the United States. We wouldn't be able to in China.

At least we agree on the feeling of personal safety. Again, I'm hardly a China booster, things like uprooting entire communities and flooding them out are nightmares. Hiding their own ecological disasters and slave conditions are absolutely true. However they also haven't started a bunch of hellwars in the middle east and overthrown a bunch of other governments. Like I said, imperial powers gonna imperial.

China is a lot more direct in the censorship of the media rather than the US's indirectness. However when you look at the influence that the government has over places like twitter and facebook in terms of saying what can and can not be published, and what is classified as "misinformation" the US is definitely tending towards the China's current policies, especially in republican controlled states. I mean even the TaxMan (Rip in piss) got visits from the US government if what goons were saying got too spicy. So while I agree the US is "better" it is a matter of degrees rather than a fundamental difference.

If I wanted to have kids, and had to raise them in the USA in 2040, or China in 2040, I'd probably pick China, on the school shooting basis alone. I am also thankful as gently caress I live in Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What if Dom made the phone call but they were in a Chinese baby formula factory and Dom had to decide between saving his wife and calling an ambulance or letting thousands of babies die from baby formula?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What if Dom was feeding his wife baby formula because he thought that was how they got so many kids?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SBS no longer having the rights to stream subtitled If You Are the One (or Fei Cheng Wu Rao is a serious loss to Australia-China relations in terms of getting Aussies to see what the average mainstream Chinese person things, in a romantic/family context.

It's basically lost media at this point except for a couple eps on youtube which is nuts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
And the only way to destroy the baby formula factory and save the babies is by buying a nuclear submarine to travel to the factory and sink it into the ocean because the factory is on top of a Chinese aircraft carrier but Doms wife could also die.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What if Dom's wife dies but she becomes part of Unit 1 and Dom gets caught using taxpayer money on the human instrumentality project?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What if Dom's wife dies but she becomes part of Unit 1 and Dom gets caught using taxpayer money on the human instrumentality project?

Porkbarreling a human instrumentality project.

Get in the loving Dubbo Shinji.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
What if the fast and the furious series were about Dom and his wife

He stole those dvd players because his wife was sick

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-23/act-nursing-union-recipient-of-private-health-records-in-breach/102134214

Cool sick one so it turns out that mental health patient records were sent to the Union for ???? and the union didn’t do a drat thing.

Honestly extremely hosed up and a huge breach of trust.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-22/mayor-calls-for-begging-crackdown-as-homelessness-rises-in-wa/102130296

So how is the is the City of Stirling Council in Perth looking to tackle the rapidly growing crisis that is homeless?

City of Stirling Mayor Mark Irwin posted:

Sometimes there are those people who have still got their squeegees, quite often the squeegee looks like it's going to make your car more dirty than clean, and then they have an expectation they're going to get paid for it

Please wont they think of my car window :qq:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Second most timeless thing to come out of SA after the TLO ROLL CALL!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I get so many fuckin' ads with Dom's face on them accusing him of pot holes in Sydney and health care workers hating their wages, because the ACT has the same marketing as NSW. I don't live there! I literally can't vote against him leave me alone!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

bewilderment posted:

SBS no longer having the rights to stream subtitled If You Are the One (or Fei Cheng Wu Rao is a serious loss to Australia-China relations in terms of getting Aussies to see what the average mainstream Chinese person things, in a romantic/family context.

It's basically lost media at this point except for a couple eps on youtube which is nuts.

That show was so goddamned weird, it's nuts how rudeness is a culturally conditional thing rather than a universal thing

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SecretOfSteel posted:

So how is the is the City of Stirling Council in Perth looking to tackle the rapidly growing crisis that is homeless?

they're not, Stirling is awful and the council is basically 99% chuds.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ranter posted:

It's not the harshest COVID lockdowns in the world, you said that was Melbourne VIC AU.

???

hooman posted:

China is a lot more direct in the censorship of the media rather than the US's indirectness. However when you look at the influence that the government has over places like twitter and facebook in terms of saying what can and can not be published, and what is classified as "misinformation" the US is definitely tending towards the China's current policies, especially in republican controlled states. I mean even the TaxMan (Rip in piss) got visits from the US government if what goons were saying got too spicy. So while I agree the US is "better" it is a matter of degrees rather than a fundamental difference.

This is just sheer whataboutism. Everything is always a matter of degrees, but the "degrees" in question here are basically at opposite ends of the scale. The US ranks 42nd in the Press Freedom ranking, while China is an abysmal 175th (almost dead last). The US is not disappearing booksellers or shutting down newspapers or routinely censoring vast swathes of the internet. The idea that there's any equivalency whatsoever between the US and China when it comes to freedom of speech (or lack thereof) is farcical.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

they're not, Stirling is awful and the council is basically 99% chuds.

Isn't Stirling the one where the mayor's in the mafia?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

This is just sheer whataboutism. Everything is always a matter of degrees, but the "degrees" in question here are basically at opposite ends of the scale. The US ranks 42nd in the Press Freedom ranking, while China is an abysmal 175th (almost dead last). The US is not disappearing booksellers or shutting down newspapers or routinely censoring vast swathes of the internet. The idea that there's any equivalency whatsoever between the US and China when it comes to freedom of speech (or lack thereof) is farcical.

No poo poo sherlock! Yes I am literally discussing the things that the USA does because, holy gently caress, you posted this:

freebooter posted:

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values, while China is a totalitarian dictatorship.

I am providing evidence that the US is not a "free" country and absolutely does not share our liberal values. In fact the USA does not give a single poo poo about liberal values in spite of the things that they do better than China. Should I argue that China shares our liberal values because they haven't started a bunch of hellwars that the USA has? Because they aren't currently supporting a genocide in Yemen? Because they aren't best friends with MBS who had a journalist sawed to pieces? Must be a bunch of shared loving liberal values there. (China is doing a bunch of different dogshit things!)

Oooh loving press censorship, Australia has no formal press censorship, and yet shockingly, nearly all our press is dogshit bootlicking anyway! Stenographers, dogwhistles and ad copy disguised as news. There's the vast majority of all press in Australia. Concentration of press ownership censors our press for us instead of the state doing it.

Which would you pick, no healthcare or no press freedom? I know which one will personally kill me a fuckload faster.

EDIT:
Have you forgotten "Australia Needs Tony" or this garbage, our very free and fair press.

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 23, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Isn't Stirling the one where the mayor's in the mafia?

Probably? I have a friend who got elected to Stirling council, next time I am drinking with them i'll have to ask.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

Oooh loving press censorship, Australia has no formal press censorship, and yet shockingly, nearly all our press is dogshit bootlicking anyway! Stenographers, dogwhistles and ad copy disguised as news. There's the vast majority of all press in Australia. Concentration of press ownership censors our press for us instead of the state doing it.

Which would you pick, no healthcare or no press freedom? I know which one will personally kill me a fuckload faster.

EDIT:
Have you forgotten "Australia Needs Tony" or this garbage, our very free and fair press.

Telling the Hong Kong protesters about how we have it pretty bad too because of that awful Murdoch fella

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
we just need a forum for arguing about which country is worse so the worst posters from dnd and the worst posters from cspam don't poo poo up every thread in both forums with it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

GoldStandardConure posted:

Probably? I have a friend who got elected to Stirling council, next time I am drinking with them i'll have to ask.

Ask your friend what they are personally doing for the homeless.

Be sure to get your car cleaned on the way home ask them to pay for it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

freebooter posted:

Telling the Hong Kong protesters about how we have it pretty bad too because of that awful Murdoch fella

freebooter posted:

This is just sheer whataboutism.

So are we allowed to do this or not?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

Ask your friend what they are personally doing for the homeless.

probably not a lot as a councilor (I don't know what they get up to outside of their council work), their council focus is environmental issues. So going to assume they drink heavily at the lack of progress being made in pretty much every aspect (except for corrupt property developers, they are making a lot of progress).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Answer the question.

hooman posted:

Which would you pick, no healthcare or no press freedom?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

sometimes i get confused and think this is the mass effect thread

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Why should it be the purview of a local council to deal with homeless? They're hardly going to have the resources to deal with such an issue. Homelessness should be a state government issue. And those fucks should build more social housing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

we just need a forum for arguing about which country is worse so the worst posters from dnd and the worst posters from cspam don't poo poo up every thread in both forums with it

We both agree China is worse, and we're both from D&D though.

The only difference is that one of us believes the USA holds liberal values.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Animal Friend posted:

sometimes i get confused and think this is the mass effect thread

this is not my favourite thread on the citadel

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

Answer the question.

I would pick press freedom/freedom of speech, because at least then you can agitate for healthcare. I would rank it above all other freedoms for the same reason.

Now in turn, please answer in which country you'd prefer to:

- marry a member of the same sex
- practice whichever religion you like
- apply for and be granted a passport without restrictions
- move to another province or city without losing access to public services
- write a letter to the editor of a newspaper denouncing the government
- Read Wikipedia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd rather live here than in China and in China rather than America.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The USA (the destroy ending) or China (the control ending).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

I would pick press freedom/freedom of speech, because at least then you can agitate for healthcare. I would rank it above all other freedoms for the same reason.

Now in turn, please answer in which country you'd prefer to:

- marry a member of the same sex
- practice whichever religion you like
- apply for and be granted a passport without restrictions
- move to another province or city without losing access to public services
- write a letter to the editor of a newspaper denouncing the government
- Read Wikipedia

1. Lol, lmao. I wouldn't do any of that chief. I'd be dead.

2. No argument you make against China, which I agree is bad, proves this case:

freebooter posted:

Because (see above) the US is a free country that shares our liberal values

If you want to retract that statement, that's fine. I'll stop arguing with you.
If you want to amend it to "American imperial dominance is preferable to Chinese imperial dominance", sure, I'll agree with you.
But if you want to support this statement, you specifically have to talk about America, being free, and sharing our liberal values.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Gee we get it, you like China because you are in your edgy SAlt phase. How about the AFP slamming Lidia Thorpe down today in Canberra??

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Animal Friend posted:

Australia is sometimes the Assimilate ending, but it really depends on who has the majority in the lower house

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

If you want to amend it to "American imperial dominance is preferable to Chinese imperial dominance", sure, I'll agree with you.
But if you want to support this statement, you specifically have to talk about America, being free, and sharing our liberal values.

America, like Australia, is a liberal country because you can write/scream/protest as much as you like about the awful poo poo it did in Latin America in the 80s and 90s, and the awful poo poo it did in the Middle East in the 00s and 10s, and whatever awful poo poo it's about to do next, you're legally entitled to do that and no harm will come to you. Just like you can write/scream/protest as much as you like about Australia's historical and ongoing treatment of Aboriginals, or refugees in offshore camps, or Scott Morrison making GBS threads himself at the Engadine Macca's, and you're legally entitled to do that.

Try standing on a soapbox in Beijing and talking about '89, or standing on a soapbox in in Xinjiang and talking about the ongoing Uyghur genocide. Try standing on a soapbox in Shanghai five years from now and denouncing whatever the gently caress's going to be happening to Taiwan by then.

That is the difference between a liberal country and a non-liberal country. America is a free country and China is not. This is not a contentious point outside of tankie or tankie-adjacent circles, and I'm not really interested in arguing it any further, because at this point I think we're basically just butting heads against fundamental world-views.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What if China but they made anime.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Animal Friend posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Recoome posted:

Gee we get it, you like China because you are in your edgy SAlt phase. How about the AFP slamming Lidia Thorpe down today in Canberra??

I thought it was regular cops but tbf I don't know what afp dress like because I'm a Law Obeyer (not important enough for anyone above a constables rank). Anyway it was fuckin sick the way she just staunched up. Good egg.