Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hopper posted:

I just bought the 64gb version. I am not afraid to open it up and upgrade the ssd, but I think I'll wait.

My main use case is streaming from PS5, playing all those roguelike/platformer/metroidvania games I own on stean but never really touched and maybe some Emulation of snes/wii.

From what I read here, a microsd card should be fine for these purposes, as emulation and smaller games don't need to be on the ssd, is that correct?

No games need to be on an ssd. I'm playing current games from a micro SD with no impact except for +3 seconds on level load. I'm talking 80+GB games

E: Do not open your Deck it's super not necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

But also open your deck because tinkering is fun.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Since the sale started, EU eBay has been completely picked clean from cheap used 512gb SSD's, so my plan to update from 64gb might have to wait a while. Good thing this thing really runs well from the SD card, at least for my purposes. I guess there are some loading times but coming from a decade of gaming only on PS4 and a laptop, I'm very happy with my purchase so far! Next: Wii emulation and Yakuza remasters.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Suburban Dad posted:

But also open your deck because tinkering is fun.
Sure but it's all plastic with tiny clearances and you're using prying tools. People are also making it sound mandatory which is bullshit. Buy a fast microSD card and stick it in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is ebay safe for ssds? I worry about sketchy sellers and counterfeit drives..

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Vic posted:

Sure but it's all plastic with tiny clearances and you're using prying tools. People are also making it sound mandatory which is bullshit. Buy a fast microSD card and stick it in.

The back plate comes off super easy with minimal prying. You don't want to open it, that's fine. But it's not a big deal to, either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

priznat posted:

Is ebay safe for ssds? I worry about sketchy sellers and counterfeit drives..
I don't consider eBay "safe" for buying anything, been burned before there, but apparently they aggressively side with the buyer in almost any disputes, so you're probably not going to lose the money in any case. Just be prepared to keep fishing I guess.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I'm probably going to sell my microSD and snag an SSD instead, cryoutils and shadercache really fills that 64gb fast 😮‍💨

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

Baldur’s Gate 3 looks and runs pretty good on the deck. Just hope when it comes out proper it has controller support.

You're in luck! This is from their most recent update:

quote:

Those of you who prefer to navigate the world using analogue sticks and buttons may have caught a glimpse at what full controller support for Baldur’s Gate 3 will look like for launch. With split-screen co-op, too, you’ll be able to experience the entirety of your adventures in Faerûn with another player on the same device!

Baldur’s Gate 3 will also support cross-save progression between PC, Mac and PS5, allowing you to transfer your saves between platforms and continue your adventure wherever you purchase the game. Personally, we’ll be taking our experience on the road with the Steam Deck, and then venturing home to enjoy the cinematic experience of interrupting an ogre’s horizontal tango from the comfort of our sofa. Don’t forget the popcorn!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Commander Keene posted:

I don't consider eBay "safe" for buying anything, been burned before there, but apparently they aggressively side with the buyer in almost any disputes, so you're probably not going to lose the money in any case. Just be prepared to keep fishing I guess.
That hasn’t been my experience — all I can say is to confirm your exact delivery address when you get a tracking number. eBay will only show you the destination city by default, and they judge success by a package being signed for, so if a scammer gets a tracking number for an unrelated but legit delivery in your area, they can make it very difficult to to get your money back.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Are 3rd party docks bad news? I seem to recall them blowing up people’s Switches back in the day.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GigaPeon posted:

Are 3rd party docks bad news? I seem to recall them blowing up people’s Switches back in the day.
AFAIK that was because the 3rd party dock creators didn't understand the Switch's specific implementation of the USBPD standard yet. The Genki Covert Dock seems to have solved the problem at least.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Switch doesn't actually implement USB-PD correctly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

No

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok ... i used emudeck to put on super mario galaxy 2, saw a bunch of videos warning of how difficult it was - you need to set this and that - which i didn't do but just downloaded some community controller profile and set the L4/L5 to A and R4/R5 to B. I just wanted to see what the performance was like but it plays almost like when i was a kid with no issues, although i was playing it while powered. This thing rules lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What's the best way to play morrowind on Deck at the moment? does openMW run better than just the native game? Any way to get controller support on openMW?

Something I am going to try is making an ISO of my Morrowind GOTY edition for xbox (booted once and then promptly forgot about) and then running it in emudeck - that way I know it has fully configured joypad controls out of the box.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

The Switch doesn't actually implement USB-PD correctly.

Wasn't that a deliberate design choice on Nintendo's part as some sort of pseudo-DRM for their docks or am I wearing my tinfoil hat on too tightly again?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Something I am going to try is making an ISO of my Morrowind GOTY edition for xbox (booted once and then promptly forgot about) and then running it in emudeck - that way I know it has fully configured joypad controls out of the box.

That sounds like a really bad way to play it. OpenMW has controller support and widescreen!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That sounds like a really bad way to play it. OpenMW has controller support and widescreen!

But xbox stays winning?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It runs like poo poo under xemu apparently but I don’t remember it running that great on the actual Xbox anyway so this could just be accurate!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JSRF under xemu though :kiss:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is xemu the Xbox emulator of choice? I tried Xenia on my PC a while back and it just kept crashing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Xenia is a 360 emulator

Xemu is an OG Xbox emulator

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vic posted:

No games need to be on an ssd. I'm playing current games from a micro SD with no impact except for +3 seconds on level load. I'm talking 80+GB games

E: Do not open your Deck it's super not necessary

This is tacitly false if you wanna bump up the performance by using Cryotools. Those have to go on the SSD.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Xenia is a 360 emulator

Xemu is an OG Xbox emulator

Ah, gotcha.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fuzz posted:

This is tacitly false if you wanna bump up the performance by using Cryotools. Those have to go on the SSD.

But again this is in service of further tinkering either at a hardware or software level.

I think the point OP is making - and which I completely agree with - is that treating opening up a Steam Deck to replace the 64GB drive as a need is inaccurate.

If you are just wanting to play some games from your Steam library, or even do light tinkering in service of stuff like Decky Loader or emulation, 64GB + Micro SD is totally fine. Nobody in that position needs to open up their deck and replace the internal drive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I replaced the drive myself to save money, but I haven't bothered with Decky or any other tools, it runs great out of the box.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The benefit of decky isn’t making it run any differently it’s having all the QOL features it brings like grabbing artwork from steamgriddb and proton compatibility badges and howlongtobeat integration and a not-garbage boot animation manager and for some reason people go hogwild for one that just cranks up the saturation and fucks up all the colours but :shrug:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

VideoGames posted:

OpenMW is honestly the only way I like to play Morrowind, now. It's fast, it has all the features you'd want in a modern port, but it keeps everything vanilla. It's up to you to mod the crap out of it. Runs like a dream on Linux, too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I replaced the drive myself to save money, but I haven't bothered with Decky or any other tools, it runs great out of the box.

The only thing I’ve done to my deck is install Decky (besides steam games). It’s plug-ins provide some excellent QOL upgrades. It is worth installing. If you use any Bluetooth device, the Bluetooth plugin makes reconnecting so much easier than before.

kapi
Jul 21, 2003
That's the second largest monkey head I've ever seen
Is it worth buying the Steam version of The Division 2 if I already have the Ubisoft Connect version? I'm not sure if running the Steam version has any inherent benefits over just going through the Ubisoft launcher directly, and I heard they were crashing problems but those might have been fixed. But for nine bucks I could buy the game again if it would run better.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Official dock has FreeSync. Others don't.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I might check out Decky then, I'm not that fussed about tinkering if I don't need to but I'm happy to do it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wasn't that a deliberate design choice on Nintendo's part as some sort of pseudo-DRM for their docks or am I wearing my tinfoil hat on too tightly again?

It's more likely that Nintendo is just bad at console making, seeing as how they made a console that was not great powered to begin with, and it was appropriated from an Nvidia shield

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is Minecraft Java viable on the Deck, or am I best off running a Windows install from an SD card and doing it from there? I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time adding Minecraft to Steam and using Steam Input in the past, but maybe things have changed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is Minecraft Java viable on the Deck, or am I best off running a Windows install from an SD card and doing it from there? I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time adding Minecraft to Steam and using Steam Input in the past, but maybe things have changed.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I remember Minecraft Java was discontinued sort of recently? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the best bet to having a modern Minecraft running on the Deck would be using a Switch emulator.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will admit my JSAUX dock has been acting funky lately and I don’t care for it much anymore. I’m gonna get an official Steam Deck dock soon.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I might check out Decky then, I'm not that fussed about tinkering if I don't need to but I'm happy to do it.

Decky is extremely light touch "tinkering", which is why I mentioned it as one of the softest things you can do beyond using the Steam Deck as a stock, out of the box experience.

Really handy though. Decky lets you do some cool poo poo for sure.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
so many weird little one-person no-budget indie games are deck verified now, i'm always surprised but since it makes me approx 100x more likely to buy the game i guess it's a good strat for indie devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Basic MC? Sure. You’ll need mouse/keyboard since Java has no native controller support. I don’t think there’s any clean ways around to emulate controls via steam. If you’re going for modded MC then just use Controllable for controller support but know the more mods you get into the longer the load times will be. ATM8 pushes the deck unlike any other game.