Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
My biggest wish for EU5 would be to have an option to bring back EU2-style pausing. Back in EU2 if you had messages set to pause when they appeared, the game was paused as long as that message was on screen, and the only way to unpause was to dismiss the message.

In current EU, messages and events that pause, well, they pause, but hitting pause again resumes the game, including for events. You'd think after like a decade I'd have gotten used to this, but no, every time I play a modern paradox game I end up loving it up and seeing an event pop up, reflexively hitting pause because I want to read it, which unpauses the game, and then while I'm reading some new event pops up, and so I panic because the game is unpaused, so I hit pause, which unpauses the game, and then another message pops up, and I just flail that pause button like an idiot trying to make the game just stop.

Please devs, please, a toggle in the settings for idiots like me, something like "prevent unpausing during pending events and messages".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It would be nice to have an alarm clock feature where you could set the game to auto pause on a certain upcoming date (truce timers, take this tech or lose inno, etc)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

skasion posted:

Hul-az-krakazol, to the north of Rahen. You need to start as a specific human nation and not get smoked by the Command for like 50 years, and if you manage that you get the event to switch. Weird government form where you get rewarded with various local brews for getting specific provinces and your ruler is expected to chug them every few years until he maxes out their buffs or drinks himself to death

25 years only, the event fires around 1470. So it's not that hard to play the beer Dwarves.

The Dreaming Dwarves however are pretty hard because you gotta go through The Command to get to their Hold.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reveilled posted:

My biggest wish for EU5 would be to have an option to bring back EU2-style pausing. Back in EU2 if you had messages set to pause when they appeared, the game was paused as long as that message was on screen, and the only way to unpause was to dismiss the message.

In current EU, messages and events that pause, well, they pause, but hitting pause again resumes the game, including for events. You'd think after like a decade I'd have gotten used to this, but no, every time I play a modern paradox game I end up loving it up and seeing an event pop up, reflexively hitting pause because I want to read it, which unpauses the game, and then while I'm reading some new event pops up, and so I panic because the game is unpaused, so I hit pause, which unpauses the game, and then another message pops up, and I just flail that pause button like an idiot trying to make the game just stop.

Please devs, please, a toggle in the settings for idiots like me, something like "prevent unpausing during pending events and messages".
I'd rather have a game that doesnt exhaust me with popups that require pausing every other game-week. Its the only reason I'm not still playing EU4.

Prop Wash posted:

It would be nice to have an alarm clock feature where you could set the game to auto pause on a certain upcoming date (truce timers, take this tech or lose inno, etc)
This would be wonderful.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The simplest way to deal with the pauses would be to have a dialogue option available on every popup that lets you set your pause options for that type of popup and there are probably five configs

1) Don't show and no pause
2) No pause and hide after n seconds
3) No pause
4) Pause and allow unpause
5) Pause and no unpause until cleared

I'd definitely want the last one for anything that has an option or affects game state, such as a truce ending. For things like loans rolling over I'd likely set them to #2. For those loving messages about someone interfering with my trade and not interfering with my trade and interfering with my trade again I'd set them to #1.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm. There are message settings in the game

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
For UI dreams, I hope the move away from the popup consolidation they've been doing lately. I hate the Vic3 "Catch all Popup button". Ck3 has a better one which lets most stuff through and only really holds suggestions, where it feels like everything except diplomatic actions are hidden in the Vic3 variant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but the UI for accessing them sucks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah and you cant "dont show and no pause" the litany of events that you have to make a decision on, which are the ones I'm annoyed as gently caress about. You cant ignore "Heir falls ill", you have to pause the game, review your options (usually needing to look at another screen first, though they have gotten better about this) then make a decision. There are too many of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Those are events! They're the spice!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rofl I think Red Hawk's video today is probably the strongest evidence to date that he doesn't cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxddie510S8

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of messages, I distinctly remember that while looting a province, there’d be big numbers that flash up on screen above your army at the start of each month that shows how much you’ve looted. The numbers would turn red if you had just depleted that province.

I still see those numbers when looting or blockading a coastal province, but at some point over the years I noticed they were no longer showing up for land-locked provinces.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? Is there a way to turn those back on?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

CommonShore posted:

rofl I think Red Hawk's video today is probably the strongest evidence to date that he doesn't cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxddie510S8

:allears: absolutely flawless

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of messages, I distinctly remember that while looting a province, there’d be big numbers that flash up on screen above your army at the start of each month that shows how much you’ve looted. The numbers would turn red if you had just depleted that province.

I still see those numbers when looting or blockading a coastal province, but at some point over the years I noticed they were no longer showing up for land-locked provinces.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? Is there a way to turn those back on?

for the record, i mean this text

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally grabbed this cheevo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Detheros posted:

Finally grabbed this cheevo

Nice! I've never managed to form Andalusia, I always get crushed by Castile.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked his video with AI Thuringia.

Do you have a link, I googled but couldn't find anything haha I'm from Thüringen, so I'm a fan seeing them in media

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice! I've never managed to form Andalusia, I always get crushed by Castile.

If it's the re-reconquista, the most fun strategy is to run away to the new world and return as super Granada invigorated by New World gold.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

IAmThatIs posted:

Do you have a link, I googled but couldn't find anything haha I'm from Thüringen, so I'm a fan seeing them in media

Sorry it was Lotharingia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYNukaoKebY

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
May I introduce the thread to our Lord and Savior Long Novgorod?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Longorod

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Novgo rod

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In case anyone's curious this is from my weekly Multiplayer Megacampaign, which is why Kyiv is still alive as it's a player nation and have a vastly stronger army.

We've largely agreed to an amicable split of the rest of the world though. Like the Treaty of Tordesillas but overland.

In an ironic twist they got mildly upset that I joined the Holy Roman Empire though for protection. Not that they intended to ever attack me, but it took away the option essentially should've push come to shove.

I've also long since bought the Siberian trading company from Rome who extorted me from an ungodly amount of money.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like how you say you 'joined' the HRE in order to gloss over the whole 'getting elected emperor' thing.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Hellioning posted:

I like how you say you 'joined' the HRE in order to gloss over the whole 'getting elected emperor' thing.

gotta do one to get the other, yes?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Nope don't have to join the HRE to become emporer.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

for the record, i mean this text

they're gone for me too

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

They're there for me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Novogrod is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hellioning posted:

IIRC the offer was that if I stayed Catholic and joined the hre I'd be made Emperor, with the expressed purpose that me joining was to help pass reforms.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So devving up provinces to spawn institutions... what do you guys think that's meant to simulate?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Jay Rust posted:

So devving up provinces to spawn institutions... what do you guys think that's meant to simulate?

"Hey René, thanks for checking in when I know you're busy with all the philosophizing. You might think Stockholm is, like, small and insignificant but we've been building some real poo poo up here recently. A nice university, a big stonking palace, y'know, top-tier, continental stuff. I hear we're on 8th on Early Modern Vogue's list of Greatest Powers. Why don't you come up north, check it out, maybe teach the princess a little ... Global Trade? You definitely won't die of pneumonia, no shot."

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's meant to represent casting a powerful institution summoning spell with monarch mana

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

oddium posted:

it's meant to represent casting a powerful institution summoning spell with monarch mana

Large scale sacrifices of birds and swords are both things that people irl did to try and get some kind of divine power. So yeah let’s go with this. Not sure where the paper fits in tho

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

scrolls with the spells written on them

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Jay Rust posted:

total abdication in regards to vision or game design

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

Ah enjoying anbennar?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jay Rust posted:

Something like Peter the Great dev pushing the Enlightenment in Saint Petersburg, I guess, although there aren't that many historical examples.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It mostly makes sense for Renaissance, where you’re basically creating your own big fancy city to Renaiss in.

Not so much for, say, colonialism...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnoHito posted:

It mostly makes sense for Renaissance, where you’re basically creating your own big fancy city to Renaiss in.

Not so much for, say, colonialism...

Could represent via abstraction, hiring of explorers, like the Queen of Spain selling her jewelry to fund the expedition? You're gathering interested peoples and relevant industries to the purpose of ship building, exploration, trade, and so on even if specifically no single person flies your flag and goes sailing.