Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm looking into coffee grinders and I feel I've gone through the Midwit Meme from "Get a Niche" to "YOU CANT GET A NICHE. FLAT BURR IS SUPERIOR" to "Get a Niche". I get the impression that's where most people end up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You won't be disappointed with a niche.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

I'm looking into coffee grinders and I feel I've gone through the Midwit Meme from "Get a Niche" to "YOU CANT GET A NICHE. FLAT BURR IS SUPERIOR" to "Get a Niche". I get the impression that's where most people end up?

If you just want it for filter, is there any point in buying a Niche over the Ode v2? It’s cheaper, and will make better tasting filter coffee than the Niche. I would only buy the Niche if you wanted it for espresso. And only if you already have an espresso setup, not some vague idea about “getting into espresso at some later date.”

Gunder fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 13, 2023

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have a simple Breville espresso setup currently. Looking to upgrade to a better grinder/dual boiler combo. I'm looking at something like the Lelit Anna and the Niche.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TimeMore’s $300 brushless stepless flat burr espresso grinder is up on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timemore/timemore-electric-coffee-grinder

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gunder posted:

If you just want it for filter, is there any point in buying a Niche over the Ode v2? It’s cheaper, and will make better tasting filter coffee than the Niche. I would only buy the Niche if you wanted it for espresso. And only if you already have an espresso setup, not some vague idea about “getting into espresso at some later date.”

:agreed: I first bought a Niche since I was also convinced by the statements that a Niche could do anything. For my own experience, this was sadly not the case. I ended up getting an Ode v2 just for pourover; it has been way better than the Niche for my V60.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I finally graduated from a hand grinder to electric and from all the asking and research I did, it really depends on what you want out of the grinder. The Niche has conical burrs and performs as such. It’s very nice to look at and does a wide variety from espresso to French press. But it has a wider distribution of particle sizes than the newer flat burr grinders. If you want more body in your coffee, this is good. Or if you want a thicker, more classic espresso with a syrupy mouth feel then it’s good for that. But if you want clear, bright coffee with less fines, less body, and more clarity of flavor then a flat burr grinder will do that better. Unfortunately you kind of have to make the decision and people might not know which thing they prefer without trying both side by side which is very hard to do.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Help, I've been making more and more Americanos since they're hotter than normal filter coffee and faster to make

Actually, don't help, these own bones

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I always let my coffee cool for at least 1-2 minutes before drinking because it tastes sweeter IMO.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I always let my coffee cool for at least 1-2 minutes before drinking because it tastes sweeter IMO.

:me, with an ember mug at a stable 139f for 2 hours:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've been coming around on the ember mug. A few people at work have it and it looks convenient.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I've been coming around on the ember mug. A few people at work have it and it looks convenient.

Imagine having espresso that doesn’t cool to gross within 7 minutes.

Impact on taste is minimal as long as the temp never drops too low.

I don’t think he tested espresso, but Hoffman did a video on it and his conclusion was that he wanted to hate it because he thought it was stupid but he really liked it.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Yeah, I was gifted one and have grown to love it for exactly these reasons. Never in a million years would I have shelled out over $100 for such a ridiculous gadget, but if it breaks I'll have to do some serious soul-searching in deciding whether to replace it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I posted my impressions of the Ember mug a while back, and I had a bad time with the Android app. They may have fixed some issues since then, but definitely do a bit more research if you're on Android

404notfound posted:

I tried the Ember mug for about two weeks, but the mandatory companion app is loving awful, at least the Android version. A list of some of the problems I've had:
  • Firmware update for mug kept getting stuck at 2% until I unpaired and re-paired a few times
  • At night my phone would get randomly spammed with pairing requests by the mug (isn't it already paired? why does it need to ask again?)
  • Opening the app to find that the mug has somehow unpaired itself. I needed to re-pair it almost every day (I guess that's why it kept asking)
  • Sometimes the mug will be unpaired but it won't immediately be apparent in the app, since it'll still display outdated temperature/charge info and behave as if the mug is still connected
  • Sometimes the "perfect temperature" notification would keep popping up every couple of minutes once the liquid level got low enough
The price for the mug is pretty high, but for the volume of coffee I drink, it was worth it as a luxury item—assuming that it actually worked as intended. But the companion app is so bad that, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy this mug at half the price. I can only assume that the iOS version of the app works a lot better, given Hoffmann's endorsement of the product and the overall positive sentiment I see about the mug online. I suspect there's some sort of correlation between the kind of people who would buy this mug and iPhone owners (and the general trend of app development to focus on iOS), but I don't want to distract from my main point of: the Android app is bad and greatly devalues the product overall

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

firmware update bricked my mug again goddammit

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I had an Ember and wasn't a fan. I like my coffee way hotter than its 145 maximum sometimes. A regular old ceramic mug retained the heat way better as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

404notfound posted:

I posted my impressions of the Ember mug a while back, and I had a bad time with the Android app. They may have fixed some issues since then, but definitely do a bit more research if you're on Android

FYI you need the pair/connected app for setup only.

Once you set your desired temp, you can unpair and control it exclusively from the bottom button, provided you don’t care about changing the set temp. I used it for over 6 months this way and it was perfect.

FWIW I don’t have any of your stated issues on iOS with it paired and it works as expected.

MJP posted:

I had an Ember and wasn't a fan. I like my coffee way hotter than its 145 maximum sometimes. A regular old ceramic mug retained the heat way better as well.

I can’t push on the max temp, but the heating element on the mug doesn’t turn on until you lower to the desired temp to save battery. So comparing temp above the mugs max is pretty unfair.

A ceramic mug will keep you above 140 for what, 10 minutes? I know I’m not like everyone but I drink and sip pretty slow, and the mug lets me never feel like I gotta rush it so it doesn’t get gross and cold.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

On two-grinder chat, my 9barista's been out of action for a while (just got round to putting on a new boiler ring), so I've been using my Specialita for Aeropress, as it's a better grinder than the Encore. It does a great job, but now I'm back to dialling in a bean for espresso and sticking with it, while I tend to single-dose for Aeropress. So longer term I might get an Ode 2 to sit next to the Eureka. Yay coffee hobby!

Regarding standalone milk foamers - currently I'm using the Bodum thing that looks like a French press, but that tends to result in a massive glob of foam. Does the Nanofoamer Lithium come any closer to "proper" foamed milk? I don't really want to get into Bellman steamer territory if I can help it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bobstar posted:

Regarding standalone milk foamers - currently I'm using the Bodum thing that looks like a French press, but that tends to result in a massive glob of foam. Does the Nanofoamer Lithium come any closer to "proper" foamed milk? I don't really want to get into Bellman steamer territory if I can help it.

Stand alone frothers will often make a big foamberg you have to slosh and swirl around to mix in. You have to do some of that with normal steaming, but it can be significantly more on these guys.

You also may have to try different milks to find something that plays nice with the frothers since you don't typically have a ton of control. Overall though I greatly prefer mine over manually steaming.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Ember mug has worked fine for me (iOS user) but I take my coffee with milk and the heating causes the milk to form solid chunks so that kinda sucks.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I always liked my Ember 2, but I stopped using it because I had run out of plug sockets to charge the mug with.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Corb3t posted:

TimeMore’s $300 brushless stepless flat burr espresso grinder is up on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timemore/timemore-electric-coffee-grinder

Wanna say it looks like a knockoff fellow ode but also.. promising? Interested to see the reviews and final price in 1-10 years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wanna say it looks like a knockoff fellow ode but also.. promising? Interested to see the reviews and final price in 1-10 years.

TimeMore is a legit company just using Kickstarter for marketing/initial release purposes, these grinders are ready to go and will ship by June. Many coffee internet nerds have gotten their hands on units already:

MSRP Pricing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_5i1QDXvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRQGTJKpE&t=16s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgEYm0eH40

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpxUV07qEu2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp0hnn3sRY2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 21, 2023

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

On one hand I wanna say if your coffee doesn't taste good cold it isn't very good coffee. On the other hand, I am kinda hopeful someone's going to pop in with a hacked ember that holds their coffee at a rolling boil.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Lance Hedrick was involved in dev for the unit, but he has a really comprehensive review of it.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005
I have a flair neo that I have been using for years, but the last few brews the flow control portafilter is incredibly difficult to pull. I'm straining to the point of sweating for a tiny and slow drip of espresso. Is this just a matter of deep cleaning the basket and if so, how should I go about that? FWIW it's this one https://flairespresso.com/product/second-shot-plus-flow-control-portafilter/

My non pressurized basket is doing fine

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Take it apart as fully as you can and soak the parts in cafiza or puly caff, which are designed to strip built-up coffee oils. You can get them on amazon or from many specialty coffee retailers. If that doesn’t fix it, or if you see some visible scale buildup after the cafiza, do a second soak with citric acid or dezcal.

someone who owns a flair may be along with more specific advice - cafiza/puly caff are generic to all portafilters, metal baskets, cloth baskets, or any other reused parts which are in direct contact with brewing coffee.

e: before you do all that, check that your grinder settings haven’t changed, or - this is very basic but I want to make sure you’re aware - that you aren’t using espresso grind in the flow control basket

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sextro posted:

On one hand I wanna say if your coffee doesn't taste good cold it isn't very good coffee. On the other hand, I am kinda hopeful someone's going to pop in with a hacked ember that holds their coffee at a rolling boil.

If you like your coffee two-hours-forgotten-cold then I don't know what to tell you

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
oxidated stale coffee is not the same as cold coffee

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I only drink coffee from a gas station that was transported in the foot well of my car and then refrigerated for several weeks. There's no easier or better way to have coffee at home.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

There's a change in perceivable flavour with temperature. Namely, can't taste poo poo when it's too hot, with degrees of muteness through to mildly hot to cold.

When it's cold I think coffee has very little it can do to hide the flaws. It's certainly different than even at like, lukewarm or body temp or above, not better or worse. That said, if it's bad it's going to taste awful and you'll know it because you're not having the heat blind your senses.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah try cold Starbucks coffee and it tastes like cold rear end

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lance Hedrick was involved in dev for the unit, but he has a really comprehensive review of it.

sounds like everyone is best served waiting for an actually non-biased review then

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It looks promising, but aside from someone on Instagram saying that exchanging burrs can be done on the 064s there's not a lot of info on whether the stepped 064 can do the same, or whether the 064 is comparable in grind quality to that of the 078, bias or no bias.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005

hypnophant posted:

Take it apart as fully as you can and soak the parts in cafiza or puly caff, which are designed to strip built-up coffee oils. You can get them on amazon or from many specialty coffee retailers. If that doesn’t fix it, or if you see some visible scale buildup after the cafiza, do a second soak with citric acid or dezcal.

someone who owns a flair may be along with more specific advice - cafiza/puly caff are generic to all portafilters, metal baskets, cloth baskets, or any other reused parts which are in direct contact with brewing coffee.

e: before you do all that, check that your grinder settings haven’t changed, or - this is very basic but I want to make sure you’re aware - that you aren’t using espresso grind in the flow control basket

I have no idea why I didn’t think of grinding coarser - I dialed this in years ago and have a grind number for the flow control basket that I default to. It’s still tough to pull at a slightly coarser setting so I’ll pick up some cafiza and keep going coarser in the meantime. Thanks!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Capped posted:

I have no idea why I didn’t think of grinding coarser - I dialed this in years ago and have a grind number for the flow control basket that I default to. It’s still tough to pull at a slightly coarser setting so I’ll pick up some cafiza and keep going coarser in the meantime. Thanks!

Are you using the same beans? for reasons relating to sorcery and the phase of the moon, some beans choke at the same grind setting where other beans might be dialed in. I don’t know how it works with flair’s flow control thing but for non-pressurized espresso, you get best results by dialing in every new bean - ideally every new bag, unless you know they’re from the same lot, or a very consistent blend.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bandire posted:

Stand alone frothers will often make a big foamberg you have to slosh and swirl around to mix in. You have to do some of that with normal steaming, but it can be significantly more on these guys.

You also may have to try different milks to find something that plays nice with the frothers since you don't typically have a ton of control. Overall though I greatly prefer mine over manually steaming.

I switched to full-fat milk today (normally have semi-skimmed) and it's much less foam-berg-y. Silkier and nicer to drink too.

That's still with the Bodum whacker, might get the Lithium at some point in the future too, just for fun. Thanks!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Where is my money best spent next?

I have:
- Sage/Breville Bambino Plus, using IMS 16-18g basket
- Niche Zero
- Timemore Black Mirror Basic Pro scale
- Normcore sprung tamper
- Needle distribution tool and one of those wedge things
- Fellow vacuum jar

I've not yet reached the pinnacle of technique with what I have here, but I like spending money on this. What should I look to for the next thing to get? Not for now, but it's nice to have something in mind to work towards.

Is it worth looking into second hand machines that'd otherwise be £1k+ new? If so, what are the things to look out for in terms of quality or the state that they're in? Or is it worth paying more to get something in that range which is brand new?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have:
- Niche Zero
- Normcore sprung tamper
- Fellow vacuum jar

I've not yet reached the pinnacle of technique with what I have here, but I like spending money on this. What should I look to for the next thing to get? Not for now, but it's nice to have something in mind to work towards.

Is it worth looking into second hand machines that'd otherwise be £1k+ new? If so, what are the things to look out for in terms of quality or the state that they're in? Or is it worth paying more to get something in that range which is brand new?

What sort of coffee are you making with your setup, and where would you like to see improvements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have:
- Niche Zero
- Normcore sprung tamper
- Fellow vacuum jar

Puck screen! I've really loved having mine. I think normcore makes the ones I have and a great little stand for them also.