Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

10/10 EOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CitizenKeen posted:

See, for me, it's a question of onboarding and complexity.

The expansion may make a game better but may be a lot to teach all at once. It may be a lot to experience all at once. So you play the base game (which is great!), but once you've grown comfortable with the foundation, you build upon that.

That's much less common though than games where the base game had flaws that were fixed.
Yeah agree completely. I kind of dislike any game where the expansions feel like iterative bug fixes, of which the BSG game is the biggest culprit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Shame that the actual best RftG expansion isn't there because it's mutually exclusive with Rising Storm. Alien Artifacts just has better balanced and more interesting cards.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, I played dozens of games of base feast, and the only concerns I ever had was in 4p not having enough islands. Honestly, the mini expansions fixed that.

Norwegians simply made every single part of the game better. And yeah, not bigger, which is extremely key.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to share a little love for Caverna: The Forgotten Folk, which adds variant playable folks to Caverna like the humans who only dig one tile at a time but can overhang their outside board, or the trolls who always get one more thing from adventures but eat more and can't use big weapons.

It also introduces actual cave farming (planting mushrooms like pumpkins in open caves) and plantable rubies (gemfruits).

Each of the folk has four buildings to swap into the standard set of furnishing tiles, and they recommend swapping four folks' worth in even if you play with less people. They're all balanced against regular dwarves, too.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2023

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I kinda love Caverna. Sometimes I just want to play Agricola, but don't want to have to worry that my family is always on the brink of starving to death. Caverna is just perfectly chill and sometimes that's what I want to have out of a game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Tek ameritrash/chill milquetoast euro narrative arc is intriguing

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don’t hate the more competitive games. I just appreciate a wider variety of games now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

Honestly not surprised that Carcassone: The Catapult is the worst expansion when compared to the base game. Catapult is so bad.

Bold to go on record as a fun hater like this

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Clearly Talisman: The Woodlands is the best expansion, because it introduces dark fate points to make your opponents reroll their dice.

Serious post though every new Dice Throne expansion rules and they're all standalone. Just more kickass content.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

I mean, I played dozens of games of base feast, and the only concerns I ever had was in 4p not having enough islands. Honestly, the mini expansions fixed that.

Norwegians simply made every single part of the game better. And yeah, not bigger, which is extremely key.

Maybe I need more expansion games but I feel like there was a shift in the balancing of the islands between base game and expansions. The cost vs. reward on base game islands seem to be balanced much more tightly, so the differences between 0 islands/1 island/2+ islands are not as pronounced and 2+ islands is not always a no-brainer. The expansion islands seem to be a little more profitable (and maybe the other expansion goodies help develop islands slightly faster?) which makes multiple islands much more attractive.

I can see why the more island-centric expansions are so popular; the base game is very light on interaction and having islands be such a hot commodity that's so limited helps add some contour to shape the game beyond the core efficiency puzzle. I do kind of love the tension of the island play in the base game, though, where there's more of a trade-off and taking islands to deny them to opponents can be a gamble.

My dream AFfO is base islands + Tierra del Fuego only, I think it's perfectly designed as a consolation prize island.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Glazius posted:

I have to share a little love for Caverna: The Forgotten Folk, which adds variant playable folks to Caverna like the humans who only dig one tile at a time but can overhang their outside board, or the trolls who always get one more thing from adventures but eat more and can't use big weapons.

It also introduces actual cave farming (planting mushrooms like pumpkins in open caves) and plantable rubies (gemfruits).

Each of the folk has four buildings to swap into the standard set of furnishing tiles, and they recommend swapping four folks' worth in even if you play with less people. They're all balanced against regular dwarves, too.

I've heard some criticism that Forgotten Folk locks you in to what your folk are good at, but honestly, the first few turns of Caverna are so open ended I welcome something to give me focus.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

dissenting opinion in that caverna is among my least favourites of the rosenberg post-gric midweight euro output. (I don’t like glass road much either, but at least it does a few interesting things with the broom service-esque follow mechanic) I think caverna is too forgiving, and accordingly feels mushy; the worker placement element doesn’t allow for much more than minorly inconveniencing the other players. I like letting a critical space ride and feeling dread as my opponents take their turns, trying not to let on that they could opportunistically destroy my strategy. in short,

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I like those things too, but also kind of like sunday afternoon games where you just want to be chill and push levers and see your farm develop, which is why I also like (cw for 18xx players) 1853. Sometimes you want to chill out with your buds, not have a knife fight in a phone booth.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

I kinda love Caverna. Sometimes I just want to play Agricola, but don't want to have to worry that my family is always on the brink of starving to death. Caverna is just perfectly chill and sometimes that's what I want to have out of a game.

Have you played Fields of Arle?

It is my go to feel good Uwe game and the expansion ist really good

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know people complain about the dark souls game but that plus the fallout board game, which I've also been 🤔 is $131 shipped from funagain, which doesn't seem terrible...

Maybe it's on ebay for cheaper though

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

Have you played Fields of Arle?

It is my go to feel good Uwe game and the expansion ist really good
Nah, never tried it. I'm not really that big into the big footprint euros anymore. I've never played Feast either.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Nah, never tried it. I'm not really that big into the big footprint euros anymore. I've never played Feast either.

Ok, that's fair. FoA is my favorite solo Uwe game so I was thinking that it might be your cup of tea.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Best expansion is any of the Dominion expansions that have Landscape cards, which start after like the 10th (!) expansion and are split across the next few in several different forms.

All Dominion expansions are good, new kingdom cards, hooray variety, occasionally some new mechanics some better than others. But one day, DXV woke up and was like “what if I turn the cards sideways?” and invented a new card type that has the capability of altering win conditions and allowable actions across entire kingdom sets, or creating powerful singular events that warp the dynamic of a round.

So I take it back, the best expansion doesn’t exist, because it would be a Landscape-only expansion of all the currently released landscapes currently split across sets.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Elysium posted:

All Dominion expansions are good, new kingdom cards, hooray variety, occasionally some new mechanics some better than others. But one day, DXV woke up and was like “what if I turn the cards sideways?” and invented a new card type that has the capability of altering win conditions and allowable actions across entire kingdom sets, or creating powerful singular events that warp the dynamic of a round.

if you were deliberately trying to sound like the copy on the back of a dominion expansion, congratulations mission accomplished. too bad physical is the inferior way to play :colbert:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's a Dominion thread that dies down then revives when new product comes to market, if anyone is interested. For my part, im going to have to break down and start playing online because I have zero success playing IRL finding people.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803643&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Admiralty Flag posted:

There's a Dominion thread that dies down then revives when new product comes to market, if anyone is interested. For my part, im going to have to break down and start playing online because I have zero success playing IRL finding people.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803643&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Online rules. It eliminates set up, shuffling, and having to keep track of the three currencies with no physical tokens (actions, buys, and coins) and you get a handy dandy vp tracker to enable those sweet 3 pile wins when you're 1 point ahead. It's fairly reasonably priced to have all of Dominion for a year, I think. I'm in the league in like, group F and find it very enjoyable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

My wife and I play Dominion online almost every night. The game is so much faster without physical shuffling and the bots keep us from playing too passively.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got my single episode of Final Girl Series 2 in today, got a bunch of extra stuff I have no idea what to do with, I think I should have bought a full series if anything for a full storage box

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I too agree that the worst part of board gaming is the physical components.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Board Game Thread: the worst part of board gaming is the physical components

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
yea, i love board games (digital)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I too hate games. Just give me boxes filled with rule books to learn

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Eraflure posted:

Have you heard of the magical world of wargaming?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eraflure posted:

Sounds like bookchat to me, what's your favorite manual to read?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Played Twilight Inscription for the first time last night and it was pretty fun but breakdown takes like ten minutes and it's almost entirely rubbing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My favorite expansion was the Storm of Swords for the first/best Game of Thrones board game. Specifically letting you march on non-march orders really made things more thoughtful, but allowed you to pull off some pretty spectacular plays. I don't really hear it talked about much any more, and when it is it's usually the second edition. It was the game that got me into the hobby though way back when, and I think it really made the base game better.

Kerro posted:

Played Twilight Inscription for the first time last night and it was pretty fun but breakdown takes like ten minutes and it's almost entirely rubbing.

I know we just changed the title but:
Discussion > Traditional Games > Board Games 5E: it's almost entirely rubbing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sounds like bookchat to me, what's your favorite manual to read?

Anything for games by Vlaada Chvatil.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Don't know if it's bad for the coating long term or whatever but a very slightly damp paper towel makes the rubbing extremely easy and over in a flash. Don't use the included erasers.for after game cleanup unless you want it to take forever.

Or play it on tabletop sim where it works great too.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

NmareBfly posted:

Don't know if it's bad for the coating long term or whatever but a very slightly damp paper towel makes the rubbing extremely easy and over in a flash. Don't use the included erasers.for after game cleanup unless you want it to take forever.

The rulebook itself suggests using a dry paper towel (it even bolds dry!) but says you can use a slightly damp one to remove buildup. The erasers are mostly intended for correcting small errors, but it does suggest waiting ten seconds before using them.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yeah we used dry paper towels initially which were slow as hell but would eventually get there. I think baby wipes followed by paper towel might be the way to go. I also like that they used custom pens so you can't just replace them with normal whiteboard markers if they run out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You wouldn't want to use dry-erase whiteboard markers because you'd be accidentally smudging or rubbing the marks off during the game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't know if it would be a problem with this game in particular, but whenever a game uses dry erase markers i use my own set of wet erase markers instead, much cleaner to use overall.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

….what kind of magic custom pens are they? The only real erasable ink stuff that’s common right now is wet and dry erase (duh) and FriXion/Rocketbook type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think they're chalk pens.