Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sash! posted:

This is going to sound weird, but going back to watch Coach shows a hugely different version of college football.

Like there's a whole episode about them getting their first nationally televised game. Not just that season. Ever. They get shelled by Penn State.
Don't they... win a national title game by like faking the star quarterback being injured to the extent of sitting him (in a wheelchair, iirc) for the first half to gain some advantage of surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't they... win a national title game by like faking the star quarterback being injured to the extent of sitting him (in a wheelchair, iirc) for the first half to gain some advantage of surprise?

I don't remember that one well, but I always remember the episode after because it is how I learned of the concept of imposter syndrome (although not by that name) because Coach spent the whole episode talking about how they should have lost the game because of this reason or that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think that was their first bowl game.

I remember that Luther was in the hospital from a car crash in the title game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

This is going to sound weird, but going back to watch Coach shows a hugely different version of college football.

Like there's a whole episode about them getting their first nationally televised game. Not just that season. Ever. They get shelled by Penn State.

They eventually landed Adam Thielen though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I went to cancel my $1 a month for 6 months Athletic subscription and it offered me 12 more months at $1 a month. I'm not a huge Athletic fan but $12 a year works pretty well for me. I assume the offer is available to anyone hitting cancel....

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I went to cancel my $1 a month for 6 months Athletic subscription and it offered me 12 more months at $1 a month. I'm not a huge Athletic fan but $12 a year works pretty well for me. I assume the offer is available to anyone hitting cancel....

Pro-Tip, You can just use reader mode on the Athletic, to read it without paying the NYT money and without seeing the ads.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So the 16th largest bank in the US SVB just collapsed over night taking with it a ton of venture capital money.

Surely nothing bad could come fr--

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1634373707727601664

welp

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I need to find a grift these companies never learn.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Man I need to find a grift these companies never learn.

You aren't evil enough, despite being a Lakers fan.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

Lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Boston sports radio doing Boston Sports radio things:

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1638626581768994816

The clip:

https://twitter.com/davecullinane/status/1638539039593705472

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yikes!

Also not even getting the "right" ethnic slur!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is funny because last week on the LeBatard Show they were replaying part of this interview on an old podcast that he did with Bert Kreisher and Bill Burr, where LeBatard mentioned something about how racist Boston can be and Bill Burr got extremely offended about it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

That’s the face I make every time I post

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Yikes!

Also not even getting the "right" ethnic slur!

There was an update where they said he actually meant Mila Kunis, so he was probably going for a gross joke about nipples rather than a relatively obscure racial slur. It's all class in Boston sports radio!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

There was an update where they said he actually meant Mila Kunis, so he was probably going for a gross joke about nipples rather than a relatively obscure racial slur. It's all class in Boston sports radio!

Yeah, the Boston sports radio host probably wasn't being racist.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Boston Sports radio absolutely does not deserve the benefit of the doubt on this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i understand that "admit to lesser, more socially acceptable slip of the tongue" is probably the way to go here from a PR perspective but i don't think mila kunis's nipples are, like, well known?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you guys think I'm saying it's cool that he said that if it's about Mila Kunis? It's a dumbass Boston shock jock being gross one way or the other.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Do you guys think I'm saying it's cool that he said that if it's about Mila Kunis? It's a dumbass Boston shock jock being gross one way or the other.

No, we just think you're being gullible if you're buying that explanation.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Nope, there's video of the dipshit producer making the comment and then making a knowing face at another staffer. The Mila Kunis defense only makes it more pathetic.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It is slightly amusing that your fallback position is I'm horny for this woman who has nothing to do with any conversation we may be having and not racist while being horny for this other woman who would only be in the conversation because we're supposedly a sports show.

I mean, that's your (pathetic) defense basically and you can't come up with a better one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fsif posted:

No, we just think you're being gullible if you're buying that explanation.

It just feels like the more standard radio moron thing to say, but it is Boston so dredging up WWII era slurs that I've never heard of in my life is more likely than in other markets.

hcreight posted:

Nope, there's video of the dipshit producer making the comment and then making a knowing face at another staffer. The Mila Kunis defense only makes it more pathetic.

OK, I missed that part of the clip. The defense is also hilariously embarrassing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I took think nipples way before some ethnic slur, but neither is a particularly great excuse

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I took think nipples way before some ethnic slur, but neither is a particularly great excuse

Yes but when you think "nipples" do you think about an actress from That 70's Show and then inadvertently botch her name to a sports personality that just so happens to be Asian?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Look, it's implicit racism - he meant to do a sexism, but hearing a word that can also be a racial slur just triggered his mind to multitrack with doing a racism.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

fsif posted:

Yes but when you think "nipples" do you think about an actress from That 70's Show and then inadvertently botch her name to a sports personality that just so happens to be Asian?

An actress from That 70's Show that's not known for her nipples and hasn't even ever done a nude scene. Yes, that explanation makes perfect sense.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i'm glad we all agree here

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
maybe they thought it was really a picture of her in Forgetting Sarah Marshall

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It would be a very fun hr conversation regardless.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I’m not giving that any benefit of the doubt. Cheap shot at a high profile Asian-American woman in sports. :chloe:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

All this rush to judgement and y'all have overlooked the fact that he said she's his favorite. He was trying to be nice, whoever he was talking about :colbert:

"I'm not racist, I'm misogynistic" is an all-timer of a defense though

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/ben_baby/status/1638632325184471042?s=46&t=WVceeWcLlqXlE2y7eNkQ_Q

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahaha perfect response

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
This isn't as important, but isn't Mina Kimes Korean?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

The X-man cometh posted:

Yep. Area racist buffoon is also an idiot.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That is exquisite.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

wrong racism, bucko

double cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Even Cotton Hill could tell his Asian ethnicities apart.