Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

idk who Dave Filoni is but I’ve liked this season of Mando so far.

Basically, one of the main people behind Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, and The Mandalorian. He created the character Ahsoka and a bunch of others who debuted in those shows as well, as well as writing, directing, and/or producing a lot of that stuff and voicing Chopper in Rebels. He wrote the episode of Mandalorian that came out yesterday, and had already wrote or directed several episodes in the first two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

:siren: New job alert :siren:

Well, sort of. I've been a contractor for the last 11.5 years and I'm finally getting hired on at the company where I've been stationed all this time. I'll be doing almost exactly the same work and I'll be working in the same group with the same people I've always been with. The main difference is that I'll need to be more of a go-getter instead of kind of a slacker who looks like he's working a little harder than he actually is. The other main difference is the drat-near-50% pay increase and the transition from "absolutely no benefits at all" to "loving fantastic benefits package" :woop:

Hell fuckin’ yeah!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well, sort of. I've been a contractor for the last 11.5 years and I'm finally getting hired on at the company where I've been stationed all this time. I'll be doing almost exactly the same work and I'll be working in the same group with the same people I've always been with. The main difference is that I'll need to be more of a go-getter instead of kind of a slacker who looks like he's working a little harder than he actually is. The other main difference is the drat-near-50% pay increase and the transition from "absolutely no benefits at all" to "loving fantastic benefits package" :woop:

Congrats, get paid!

I had my review yesterday and it went well and got a better raise and bonus from what I was expecting, so I'm pretty happy today.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

loving awesome and congratulations! That is quite the pay increase.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fartknocker posted:

Basically, one of the main people behind Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch, and The Mandalorian. He created the character Ahsoka and a bunch of others who debuted in those shows as well, as well as writing, directing, and/or producing a lot of that stuff and voicing Chopper in Rebels. He wrote the episode of Mandalorian that came out yesterday, and had already wrote or directed several episodes in the first two seasons.

A year or two ago he was elevated to basically be the Kevin Feige of Star Wars, so will direct the overall storyline and make sure things fall in line with overarching ideas.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

swickles posted:

A year or two ago he was elevated to basically be the Kevin Feige of Star Wars, so will direct the overall storyline and make sure things fall in line with overarching ideas.

They really could have used this person 10 years ago when they were starting the new trilogy.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man the length of Mandalorian episodes is all over the place isn’t it

This season has been

1: 37m
2: 44m
3: 58m
4: 32m

The real annoying part of this is Disney+ makes it actively difficult to find out what the length of the thing you're watching is. No length indicator when you select it, and it doesn't show your progress when you pause.

I started episode 3 when we were ~30 minutes from going to bed thinking it would be about the right length, and we ended up stopping it halfway through.

Also realized last night we only have two more episodes of the Sopranos to watch, so we should officially be done with that this week.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The real annoying part of this is Disney+ makes it actively difficult to find out what the length of the thing you're watching is. No length indicator when you select it, and it doesn't show your progress when you pause.

What device are you watching it on, cause Disney+ both through my Xbox Series X and through my TV app show the time remaining if I pause it or just hit like the up arrow on my remote. I usually watch the shows early on Wednesday morning before work, so I’m constantly checking how much time is left to make sure I can finish the episode and leave vaguely on time.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

fartknocker posted:

What device are you watching it on, cause I’m pretty sure Disney+ both through my Xbox Series X and through my TV app show the time remaining if I pause it or just hit like the up arrow on my remote.

LG TV app. Now that I say it, that's probably the case mid-episode and I'm too impatient and hitting pause while it's still launching the episode because I'm annoyed it's not communicated from the menu without starting it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Won't someone think of the... shoe artisans.

I mean yes in small poor villages this is a thing. People sell shoes to survive

E: and then are no longer selling shoes after going out of business and beast ain't coming back with more shoes

Or so the criticism goes. Not an expert

anyway gonna stop talking about this cause I'm just repeating poo poo I've seen other people say, I don't actually know anything about it

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 23, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Congrats WMoYOLO!

Also, lol.

https://twitter.com/KristenhCNN/status/1638902278844293122

I don't believe anything will happen anyway since *gestures at life* but maybe I'm coming around to delaying everything indefinitely just to annoy Trump with something hanging over his head. That's his gameplan, the other side isn't supposed to do it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I started episode 3 when we were ~30 minutes from going to bed thinking it would be about the right length, and we ended up stopping it halfway through.

Also realized last night we only have two more episodes of the Sopranos to watch, so we should officially be done with that this week.

Maybe it’s how you’re watching it? I’m watching on AppleTV and it shows the length next to the summary, that’s how I found the length of the episodes. Also when I start it, it tells me what time the episode will be over on the progress bar and then also switches to minutes left after a couple seconds.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Congrats! Is that 50% increase just base pay or does that factor in the (major) change going from IC to employee?

I'm currently in a meeting where they're pushing us to use LinkedIn for selling. I am SO against doing this. LinkedIn posters are insufferable and I hate it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dango Bango posted:

Congrats! Is that 50% increase just base pay or does that factor in the (major) change going from IC to employee?

I'm currently in a meeting where they're pushing us to use LinkedIn for selling. I am SO against doing this. LinkedIn posters are insufferable and I hate it.

My boss loving loves LI and insists we use it for everything but when marketing asks him "hey can you make a series of 1 minute videos because you're an industry expert" he's always like "nah"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

I mean yes in small poor villages this is a thing. People sell shoes to survive

E: and then are no longer selling shoes after going out of business and beast ain't coming back with more shoes

Or so the criticism goes. Not an expert

anyway gonna stop talking about this cause I'm just repeating poo poo I've seen other people say, I don't actually know anything about it

It's a general problem with all sorts of donations going to Africa from the US. We flood them with cheap used clothes and now they can't develop any sort of industry or commercial market for selling the stuff themselves.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
If y’all think a dude paying for a ton of people to get surgeries they want is bad then you’re way too online

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Dango Bango posted:

Just the difference between what my current company pays versus my soon-to-be company. I know that my current company is pocketing a huge cut of what's paid for my work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bird in a Blender posted:

They really could have used this person 10 years ago when they were starting the new trilogy.

Oh for sure, which is part of the reason why they did that. They thought it would work itself out with various directors and such, but nope. He was the logical choice to do so since he sculpted all of Clone Wars, Rebels, and virtually everything you see outside of the sequel trilogy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Big Jesus posted:

If y’all think a dude paying for a ton of people to get surgeries they want is bad then you’re way too online

Perhaps we shouldn’t have to rely on an influencer lottery for healthcare idk

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

We absolutely should not. But until an influencer comes out and starts directing their legions of fans to murder health insurance executives and politicians that don't push for UHC, it's the best we're gonna get from them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s funny because I watched 3 and 4 back to back and I remember thinking “man this episode has been pretty long” while watching 3, then thinking 4 was too short.

I didn’t really think of it that way. I haven’t watched Andor and idk who Dave Filoni is but I’ve liked this season of Mando so far. The first episode fell flat and had some weird beats

He just gives up on fixing his robot buddy that easy?

but otherwise it’s been pretty solid. The fight scenes in the past two episodes were neato

For structure reasons I think it's guaranteed that he's going to happen across the chip for the robot at some point, since they made a big deal of needing that particular part.

Intruder posted:

let me tell you my opinions on harry potter

LeeMajors posted:

I feel weird defending this youtuber I know only enough about to make a decent summary but: in a world where individuals can't really fix our hosed up systems, garnering 150 million subscribers and turning the millions of dollars from that into needed treatments for some people and giving twenty k to homeless people sure seems like more than I'm doing to save the world so I figure I don't get to throw stones. There's always the parasocial aspects but maybe some people seeing a person do charity will feel inspired to do some charity themselves and that'd be cool too. It's true that flooding poor countries with shot-term free stuff hurt local economies for sure, that's part of why major exporters' grain subsidies are bad for the world, but it takes large actors to fix that sort of thing.

But in the end I bet if you ask the people who received MrBeast's largesse, most of them would be positive about the experience and I think it's excessively myopic and contrarian to disagree with them. I'd rather see someone charging recklessly forward in their campaign of aggressively giving away stuff to needy people sometimes loving up, vs. the status quo of mostly people just feeling overwhelmed by the unrelenting grimness of reality and the future and either curling up into a ball or just seeking constant distractions to try to avoid thinking about it.

...This is the point in my screed where milkshake duck happens and I feel like an idiot.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Maybe it’s how you’re watching it? I’m watching on AppleTV and it shows the length next to the summary, that’s how I found the length of the episodes. Also when I start it, it tells me what time the episode will be over on the progress bar and then also switches to minutes left after a couple seconds.

Are you going to it from the "Continue Watching" or "Recently Watched" (whatever Disney calls it) on the home page? I think that's where I started the long episode from without realizing it was so long, but maybe it would be there if I dug into the actual show page. We usually have a few things on rotation spread between different services, so I almost exclusively use the continue watching function across all of them. I think HBO shows how long things will be from that menu, but I'd need to log in irl to document my specific gripes with each service.

At least Hulu has now added the description to show what sport is being played in the live sports streaming. When they first added the ESPN+ stuff it would just be poo poo like Argentina vs. South Korea with no other context offered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I don’t have any real feelings on MrBeast since I only really just learned he existed like 16hrs ago or whatever. I think maybe he was mentioned in this thread before but he isn’t on any media I consume and is far from my radar period.

I will say, from what very little I know, that it seems like he’s little more than a symptom of our sick rear end society.

I get mad at my stuffy nose too, even if it isn’t the allergen.

Mostly I’m sad that Lottery Surgery Assistance via Youtuber is even a loving thing.

Sure he’s doing more to help than I am—because he’s got infinite time and resources. So what. It’s the least he can do.

Let me know when he

Kalli posted:

starts directing their legions of fans to murder health insurance executives and politicians that don't push for UHC

because that would be dope.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/FordFischer/status/1638865830048944128

lol what a boss. amazing response to being wrongfully raided

hopefully he wins

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Leperflesh posted:

I feel weird defending this youtuber I know only enough about to make a decent summary but: in a world where individuals can't really fix our hosed up systems, garnering 150 million subscribers and turning the millions of dollars from that into needed treatments for some people and giving twenty k to homeless people sure seems like more than I'm doing to save the world so I figure I don't get to throw stones. There's always the parasocial aspects but maybe some people seeing a person do charity will feel inspired to do some charity themselves and that'd be cool too. It's true that flooding poor countries with shot-term free stuff hurt local economies for sure, that's part of why major exporters' grain subsidies are bad for the world, but it takes large actors to fix that sort of thing.

But in the end I bet if you ask the people who received MrBeast's largesse, most of them would be positive about the experience and I think it's excessively myopic and contrarian to disagree with them. I'd rather see someone charging recklessly forward in their campaign of aggressively giving away stuff to needy people sometimes loving up, vs. the status quo of mostly people just feeling overwhelmed by the unrelenting grimness of reality and the future and either curling up into a ball or just seeking constant distractions to try to avoid thinking about it.

...This is the point in my screed where milkshake duck happens and I feel like an idiot.

I’m going to quote from some nepo baby chat in the post tweets thread because I think how some people rant against nepotism in Hollywood parallels how people react to guys like Mr Beast to some degree:

Mister Speaker posted:

I think it's fine to call out nepotism like that (or rich parents buying their kid exposure, which is the same thing) if the artist's work is objectively banal and derivative; they arguably don't 'deserve' their position in the spotlight or the boatloads of cash that tend to come with it. You don't really hear people complaining about folks who were born into an advantage but actually used it to become great artists. It's fun to take digs at Brandon Cronenberg but I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously accuse him of being a talentless nepobaby. Conversely, that guy from LMFAO can gently caress off forever, and while I'm at it, so can Grimes and Fred Again.

Basically people rag on people like Dakota Johnson or whoever for benefiting from nepotism, using them as a synecdoche for the problem of nepotism as a whole. It’s not necessarily fair criticism because a lot of the time they’re actually pretty talented, and it’s not their fault that they’re benefitting from the system working as intended. They’re really just the outward face of a problem and that’s a lot easier to attack. In the same way I think people attack Mr Beast as a way of stabbing at a system that allows awful things to just happen to people as a matter of policy, and of which he’s really just a byproduct.

There are a lot of people out there who are tuned in to how lovely the system is and are using that to enrich themselves (see every hustle culture dudebro on YouTube and TikTok for example) and, while I think Mr Beast is of the same ilk, you’re right that he’s at least enriching himself while also helping others. I would obviously rather not live in a world where whether or not someone is helped out of a bad situation comes down to if a millionaire thinks it would make good content, but that isn’t Mr Beast’s fault. Ultimately I think you can find what he produces distasteful without wanting him to trip and break his neck or get marched to the gallows or whatever, but encouraging nuanced takes is not exactly the internet’s strong suit.

And if engaging critically with what one of the most popular content creators out there is creating makes me an old boomer or whatever then get off my fuckin’ lawn :rant:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Can you really say you have any right to privacy when you step into their home? I think cops are going to lose that one, I hope.

On the Mr. Beast thing, I think what gets a lot of people upset about, and I get this too, is that he's profiting off of charity. It reminds me of things like Bill Gates giving away billions to charity, when it's really just PR for him. He still has way more money than anyone could ever need, and he could give 10 times what he does and still be in that position. It's really just a symptom of our hosed up system. No one should need his charity, and we give vast rewards to the guy for just being a big self-promoter while helping a tiny portion of the population out. He's just a constant reminder of how many people could be helped if we refocused our energies away from everyone trying to make as much money as possible at all times.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
LA Beast > MrBeast

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pro tip: if you're sick do not try muscling through your regular gym routine, lest you end up collapsing at your car after your session.

Luckily my drive home from the gym was only 5 minutes but it was one scary-rear end ride.

Guess I'm staying home instead of going to work today.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://youtu.be/KRotuJJ25rE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

because that would be dope.

BLACKPINK releases new video: Kill your landlord.

Pron on VHS posted:

LA Beast > MrBeast

Took me awhile to realize they weren't the same person.

And yes, LA Beast has that affable charisma that lets you really appreciate that he's going to eat 10lbs of sugar free gummy bears then poop out his soul.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I think those takes are fair, Bird and Freaquency. Like on a much smaller scale there's a youtuber out there who has a lawn & garden business and he also drives around and looks for people who clearly can't take care of their yards and cleans them up for free. He is getting exposure for his business and so it is probably profitable for him; but also some old lady who can't afford to have her yard cleaned up gets help. To me that is sort of a win/win.

But the larger picture is that old ladies who can't afford to take care of their homes should be taken care of by society in a reliable way, not having to wait for some rando with a mower to choose their yard for free advertising.

And at the same time that old lady is genuinely thankful, like she gives the dude a hug and cries a little bit, and it's impossible not to empathize with her and therefore feel kinda good that she won the yard lottery or whatever. I'm conflicted on this. I am angry about the implications of all these people who won't get help without charity while also not being mad about doing charity even if it's partially for clicks or serving some self-interest too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Kalli posted:

BLACKPINK releases new video: Kill your landlord.

Took me awhile to realize they weren't the same person.

And yes, LA Beast has that affable charisma that lets you really appreciate that he's going to eat 10lbs of sugar free gummy bears then poop out his soul.

I saw a quote underneath a LA Beast video "this man has a type of dedication that probably could have put him through medical school. Thankfully he decided to entertain strangers on the internet"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m surprised LA Beast is still alive

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My take here is you can't do anything good without being criticized for it in some way.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Can you really say you have any right to privacy when you step into their home? I think cops are going to lose that one, I hope.

If anyone could make the case with a hope of winning it court, it's the cops. I don't think that's good, just the way it is.

On the Mr. Beast thing, I think what gets a lot of people upset about, and I get this too, is that he's profiting off of charity. It reminds me of things like Bill Gates giving away billions to charity, when it's really just PR for him. He still has way more money than anyone could ever need, and he could give 10 times what he does and still be in that position. It's really just a symptom of our hosed up system. No one should need his charity, and we give vast rewards to the guy for just being a big self-promoter while helping a tiny portion of the population out. He's just a constant reminder of how many people could be helped if we refocused our energies away from everyone trying to make as much money as possible at all times.

I almost gave you poo poo for this being a longer version of what I said, then realized it was typed and unfinished in another tab. Tl;dr version, Bill Gates is overall a force for evil, but people will still Kramer into a thread and accuse you of being in the pocket of Big Malaria when you bring it up. Mr. Beast shouldn't have to do any of this poo poo, but if the worst part about him is that he's monetizing it via YouTube, so be it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I mean, it’s fine. But if we had a sane and effective tax structure and weren’t literally enslaved to corporations and billionaires, this would all be unnecessary.

If my aunt had balls, etc, ad nauseam. Again, I’m not going to pat an extremely rich person on the back for giving away some of their wealth for exposure. But I’m glad at least a few folks have been able to benefit from his for-profit charity.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bobjr posted:

I’m surprised LA Beast is still alive

When he did the 5 lbs of sugar free gummy bears I don't think he wanted to be

e: I did like 5 total bears once just to see what the big deal was. Folks, the hype is real

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 23, 2023

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I actually just got called and was offered the job I interviewed for yesterday and even got $2 more an hour than I thought I was going to get. So yeah I'm extremely excited and just waiting for the official paperwork to come to me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nice! Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SundayMoney posted:

I actually just got called and was offered the job I interviewed for yesterday and even got $2 more an hour than I thought I was going to get. So yeah I'm extremely excited and just waiting for the official paperwork to come to me.

Congrats! Happy to hear for you.