Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mylan posted:

If they were to revisit the time travel gimmick again I'd like to see them go all out. Not just two points in time with some map adjustments between them, but like multiple time periods. Maybe youd have to go back and revisit the time periods of previous games to collect past items or gather the help of past links or something. I know thats a tall order but i dont think just rehashing Ocarina with BotW's map would be all that great.

Don't make me daydream about open-world Chrono Trigger you bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Golux posted:

It's a musou game, you can't consider the number of people who get defeated to be a serious death toll, especially compared to the total population seen outside of battles. Especially since more of them just spawn out of nowhere in keeps.

yeah all musou games deal in abstraction to a certain extent, it’s just a little silly (if not totally in character) that Revali would sic his entire race on a single blond kid, watch him hack through them like tall grass, and then go “I can take him”

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It says "KOs," they'll just be able to walk it off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, playing by Kiryu/Batman rules. :hmmyes:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxxidation posted:

yeah all musou games deal in abstraction to a certain extent, it’s just a little silly (if not totally in character) that Revali would sic his entire race on a single blond kid, watch him hack through them like tall grass, and then go “I can take him”

Its a funny mix when the Champions are #1 Bro Daruk, Link's girlfriend Mipha, compassionate mentor Urbosa, and then giant dickhead Revali

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2023

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

He's supposed to be a cocky rival but yeah he's an enormous dickhead

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Age of Calamity 2 has Groose telling Revali to tone it down, jeez

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his diary suggests he’s got an inferiority complex (maybe also a napoleon complex, he’s a tiny dude by rito standards) but I guess calamity never gives him any reason to dwell on it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Golux posted:

I actually viscerally hated having to resort to using Revali for one of the later missions, but his wider area of effect was just too useful when fighting multiple guardian stalkers. But I really didn't want to give that jerk the satisfaction, haha.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know at this point I should try to shotgun things but man is it disorienting picking up BotW after years.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Golux posted:

Are there any "cocky rival" characters that aren't enormous dickheads? Vegeta is probably the most famous and beloved example of the archetype and he's fun, but he's also still an enormous dickhead for the most part.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mylan posted:

If they were to revisit the time travel gimmick again I'd like to see them go all out. Not just two points in time with some map adjustments between them, but like multiple time periods. Maybe youd have to go back and revisit the time periods of previous games to collect past items or gather the help of past links or something. I know thats a tall order but i dont think just rehashing Ocarina with BotW's map would be all that great.
Tom Baker was the best Link. Suck it, Tennant fanboys. :colbert:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Tom Baker was the best Link. Suck it, Tennant fanboys. :colbert:
Ah, a fan of the Minish Scarf, eh?

I prefer Matt Smith's "boomerangs are cool".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Nintendo released the BotW Explorer's Guide digitally for free. It was originally a physical book included with the Explorer’s Edition of the game.

https://www.polygon.com/zelda/23650048/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-explorers-guide-free-pdf

Direct link to the PDF: https://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/assets/pdfs/ExplorersGuide.pdf

e: the Polygon story talks about some missing pages but it looks like they've been fixed.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 22, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Revali is simply Falco.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

Don't make me daydream about open-world Chrono Trigger you bastard.

Oh... oh man. Hadn't thought of that. drat. Maybe these AI art programs will get advanced enough someday that we can just feed it Chrono Trigger and say "make a faithful sequel."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they need a bunch of people writing fanfiction of that to copy from first? Fanfiction is something I assume is being written about everything all the time but who knows, do kids these days have the attention span to write or read that long of posts?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

tsob posted:

Are there any "cocky rival" characters that aren't enormous dickheads? Vegeta is probably the most famous and beloved example of the archetype and he's fun, but he's also still an enormous dickhead for the most part.

So Vegeta is a villain who ends up on the heroes' side by circumstance and it's a while before he really considers himself one of them. Revali is never actually at cross purposes with the other champions, he just thinks he should be the one in charge, which doesn't really deserve the degree of asshattery he emotes in every dialogue scene.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's just the conceited birdman trope.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
revali is good and more games should have characters that are just assholes, as a treat

its also funny because in botw every divine beast obviously is gonna end in a boss fight but none of the champions feel like actually telling link that. With the other three, it feels a little contrived, but with Revali it feels like he would maybe deliberately not mention that specifically because he's feeling petty

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

It's just the conceited birdman trope.

Give one an Oscar and you never hear the end of it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

tsob posted:

Edgeworth eventually

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Been playing through Link's Awakening DX on the Switch, never played this or the remake so this is a completely new game to me. This thing is kicking my rear end in more ways than one, starting Level 3 tonight I already had 22 deaths recorded. The boots+feather combo in Level 4 was another source of frustration as I would often fall a half dozen times before making it across. But I'm finally getting the hang of this game and I've only had to look up two things, one of which ended up being a complete conceptual disconnect early on, where I just didn't realize these stones that didn't register as grabbable could simply be pushed. Game is good, and we'll see if I have time for Minish Cap before May but I hope so.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

tsob posted:

I think the pokemon games generally do a fine job of it, precisely because the stakes are so low. They're like sports rivals

Revali would have made more sense if he were the silent jealous type who only turned into a bitter rear end in a top hat once he became a ghost. "I always knew I was better than you, but even I didn't think you were incompetent enough to destroy the world" could have been fun

I kinda appreciate that AoC triples down on his characterization and makes it obvious the dude is just a shortsighted rear end in a top hat who would throw his entire race into a meat grinder over a stupid and very preventable misunderstanding

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/_Smirky/status/1638633109330509826

Tinfoil hat time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that was yesterday did you look at the rest of the thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Super No Vacancy posted:

that was yesterday did you look at the rest of the thread

Oh my god....they canceled Tears of the Kingdom?!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Wow a farm simulator Zelda just what I've always wanted :geno:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
How did OoT Link get an earring while he was in a coma in the Sacred Realm or wherever for 6 years? That's a more important mystery for Nintendo to answer than how the games fit into the Zelda timeline.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Item Getter posted:

How did OoT Link get an earring while he was in a coma in the Sacred Realm or wherever for 6 years? That's a more important mystery for Nintendo to answer than how the games fit into the Zelda timeline.

Well, obviously Rauru gave it him after stripping him naked and putting those new clothes on him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Item Getter posted:

It's not even real. It's a tape-on.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The earring was actually a huge sidequest but it's only mentioned in the novelization

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found a cib copy of Phantom Hourglass at one of the local used game stores today. I’ve been hoping to find it and Spirit Tracks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

the_american_dream posted:

Edgeworth eventually
Eventually? He turns face in his very first game.

Despite being an anime fan back in ninteteen nineties two through six, I still somehow didn't see it coming.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Bayonetta Origins is giving me SERIOUS classic "Zelda with a gimmick" vibes y'all. Got a demo if anyone wants to check it out. The dungeon thing I just did scratched an incredible Zelda itch.

Here's the lil dungeon in case you wanna see for yourself. Looks like they skip through combat. https://youtu.be/8O0bBe1gKvA

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

LividLiquid posted:

Eventually? He turns face in his very first game.

Despite being an anime fan back in ninteteen nineties two through six, I still somehow didn't see it coming.

He's portrayed as a serious heel in the first couple cases he's in.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1639222097053650944?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Question number one. In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, who wants to gently caress Link?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cartoon Man posted:

Question number one. In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, who wants to gently caress Link?

What an obvious trick question; the answer depends entirely on how much of a shipper you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Waste of time to want that. There is no evidence that Link can be hosed. It is an alien elf, and the only evidence we have of Link's reproductive capability are in the Four Swords type games where we see is capable of a form of asexual reproduction between fragmenting and budding types.

Anyway, the answer is the Zoras.